About That London US Women's 4x100

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am

Everything just changed - Marshevet Hooker is pregnant. A huge loss both in terms of speed as well as experience for a team that was a legitimate threat for the world record.
guru

Re: About That London US Women's 4x100

Postby CookyMonzta » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 am

guru wrote:Everything just changed - Marshevet Hooker is pregnant. A huge loss both in terms of speed as well as experience for a team that was a legitimate threat for the world record.

OY!!! :shock: I think I swallowed my gum! Congratulations to her, anyway. Family comes before anything, including the Olympics. :wink:

Be that as it may, a potential 10.7x runner (who has a 10.76w in her back pocket) is off the board for this relay squad. If the U.S. has any chance of breaking the WR (unless Jamaica gets there first), the college girls or recent grads need need to step up fast! Right now, I'm thinking Shalonda Solomon on either curve (probably the leadoff), with Alexandria Anderson taking Marshevet's place on the back straight, and any of the following on the other turn: Felix, Knight, Gardner, Tarmoh or Duncan.
CookyMonzta

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:35 am

Certainly good news for Bianca Knight, who looked to be the odd woman out with the emergence of Tianna Madison. Right now you'd have to think she has the inside track, though it will bear watching how wildcard UCF frosh Octavious Freeman develops over the next few months following her 11.10 last Friday.

And then, there's Sanya...
guru

Postby CookyMonzta » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 am

guru wrote:Certainly good news for Bianca Knight, who looked to be the odd woman out with the emergence of Tianna Madison. Right now you'd have to think she has the inside track, though it will bear watching how wildcard UCF frosh Octavious Freeman develops over the next few months following her 11.10 last Friday.

Oooh...Tianna...I forgot about her. :oops: And if the Barber twins get up to speed, what then?

Jeter and Anderson have the first 2 spots locked up in the open 100. I think the 3rd spot is going to be a mess to predict.
CookyMonzta

Postby usafa » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
guru wrote:Everything just changed - Marshevet Hooker is pregnant. A huge loss both in terms of speed as well as experience for a team that was a legitimate threat for the world record.

OY!!! :shock: I think I swallowed my gum! Congratulations to her, anyway. Family comes before anything, including the Olympics. :wink:

i did not read gum!
usafa

Postby Speedster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:24 pm

After Jeter it's wide open and for competition's sake that's a good thing! Hooker can take comfort in Lashinda Demus and her successful return, along with many others who have come back strong after having children.

Knight, Anderson, Solomon, Jeter is my early pick, but I don't think that's enough to take Fraser-Pryce, Simpson, Stewart, VCB.
Speedster

Postby fortyacresandamule » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Hooker not being on the 4x1, that should be no panic for the USA. She is replacable with either a veteran like Muna Lee, or even Alexander Anderson or a load of other new comers ( Gardner, Freeman, Tarmoh, Mcgrone etc). Their relay pool is deep and can still beat JA to the gold even without Hooker. Any combination of :

Jeter
Lee
Knight
Felix
Anderson
Gardener
Tarmoh
Mcgrone
Freeman
Duncan
Brookins
Richards
Solomon

Is good to go.
fortyacresandamule

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm

US won that 4x100 last year BECAUSE of Myers. She was the 2nd best 100m runner the US and I am quite convinced would have been the the 2nd fastest 100m runner in the US this year. She is a 10.8x and 22.1x runner. On the fly she is probably second only to Myers over 100. Myers' 3rd leg wasn't just good it was great and she carried the baton very well.

She is not as replaceable I would say. That being said though there are a number who could be plugged in the third leg:

1) M. Lee
2) S. Solomon
3) A. Anderson
4) J. Tarmoh
5) B. Knight (I would assume they would move her from 1st to 3rd and plug Madison/Williams in the first leg)

I don't count the collegians for the mere fact that I am not a believer in collegians being able to extend their season so far outdoor, especially if they are sprinters. J. Tarmoh was a perfect example last season, a 22.2x runner at the trials who could not get past the first round at the WC.
t_monk

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Not to pick nits, but she's not Myers anymore.

Seriously, assuming Richards-Ross isn't doubling 400/200, she has to be in the discussion after what we saw last week.
guru

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 pm

guru wrote:Not to pick nits, but she's not Myers anymore.

Seriously, assuming Richards-Ross isn't doubling 400/200, she has to be in the discussion after what we saw last week.

She'd have to get on some 4x100's in the season, probably at Penns Relay and maybe a one or two meets in the summer as well to prove herself, even with that windy 10.8x.
t_monk

Postby CookyMonzta » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I take it you're implying that a divorce took place, no? :? That, I missed.
CookyMonzta

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm

CookyMonzta wrote:

Correct, last year. Last I heard she was hanging with Willis McGahee
guru

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:12 pm

guru wrote:
CookyMonzta wrote:

Missed me too!
t_monk

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:13 pm

t_monk wrote:

She'd have to get on some 4x100's in the season, probably at Penns Relay and maybe a one or two meets in the summer as well to prove herself, even with that windy 10.8x.

I agree. I can't help but wonder if that figured into the equation last week.
guru

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:35 pm

How many months pregnant? She can pull a 2011 Chaunte Lowe and possibly still make the team.
After Jeter, those next 4 spots for the relay are wide open
ATK

Postby guru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

ATK wrote:How many months pregnant? She can pull a 2011 Chaunte Lowe and possibly still make the team.

No. She says she's done for the year.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:22 pm

t_monk wrote:US won that 4x100 last year BECAUSE of Myers. She was the 2nd best 100m runner the US and I am quite convinced would have been the the 2nd fastest 100m runner in the US this year. She is a 10.8x and 22.1x runner. On the fly she is probably second only to Myers over 100. Myers' 3rd leg wasn't just good it was great and she carried the baton very well.

I agree with you 100% on Myers, but not so much for her footspeed (although she has plenty of it), but more for her execution. Myers really got out well in Deagu, as opposed to Allyson Felix who was horrendous in her acceleration (Bianca Knight almost ran past her). Part of her problem is her two-point stance; what's up with that anyway? Too many folks on this board worship the false God of 100 PR's and SB's when it comes to assembling 4x100 teams. Personally, I'd be willing to sacrafice 0.1s of footspeed in return for flawless execution. At the elite level, the difference between making the pass at the beginning of the zone and at the end of the zone is approximately 0.3s per exchange.
t_monk wrote:I don't count the collegians for the mere fact that I am not a believer in collegians being able to extend their season so far outdoor, especially if they are sprinters. J. Tarmoh was a perfect example last season, a 22.2x runner at the trials who could not get past the first round at the WC.

There are a lot of folks who would disagree with this, and have the results to back it up (eg. Jeemy Wariner, Richard Thompson, Walter Dix, Lauryn Williams, Veronica Campbell, Kirani James, etc.).
jazzcyclist

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:56 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I agree with you 100% on Myers, but not so much for her footspeed (although she has plenty of it), but more for her execution. Myers really got out well in Deagu, as opposed to Allyson Felix who was horrendous in her acceleration (Bianca Knight almost ran past her). Part of her problem is her two-point stance; what's up with that anyway? Too many folks on this board worship the false God of 100 PR's and SB's when it comes to assembling 4x100 teams. Personally, I'd be willing to sacrafice 0.1s of footspeed in return for flawless execution. At the elite level, the difference between making the pass at the beginning of the zone and at the end of the zone is approximately 0.3s per exchange.
t_monk wrote:I don't count the collegians for the mere fact that I am not a believer in collegians being able to extend their season so far outdoor, especially if they are sprinters. J. Tarmoh was a perfect example last season, a 22.2x runner at the trials who could not get past the first round at the WC.

There are a lot of folks who would disagree with this, and have the results to back it up (eg. Jeemy Wariner, Richard Thompson, Walter Dix, Lauryn Williams, Veronica Campbell, Kirani James, etc.).

Hooker had superior foot speed to SS who was probably the second fastest of anyone on that 3rd leg. Also I would be surprised if come this summer she wouldn't have been 10.8x/10.7x around Olympics time. She in my mind would have been a clear #2 to Jeter in the US. But you are very right in regards to her execution on that 3rd leg. Her starts are always skeptic but she has excellent top end speed and runs a very good curve. She gets out well, collects the baton efficiently and extends well when handing out the baton. You can see that she has been practicing for that leg for years now (I think she's been more or less practicing that leg since 2008 and have been practicing it with Jeter since 2009). The only person who has practiced that leg as much as her at the elite level is M. Lee thus her being top on my list of replacements. If Lee gets down to 11.0x or 22.1x I think she would be the best person to plug into that leg irrespective of whoever else is faster than her.

I've noticed that a number of collegians have been able to break out but not a lot of them from schools chasing NCAA titles and the likes of VC, LW, Dix, Thompson. Wariner and James are exceptions due to their prodigious talent.
t_monk

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 am

Yes, those Florida schools vying for the NCAA championship really hurt their jumpers when it came to the WCs... :wink:

I get your point, and it is valid to a degree, but it can easily be taken too far. I would take this implication: If there is one of these athletes, then do not count on it too much; if there are a number of them, some will come good come the Trials and summer peaks.
26mi235

Postby DJG » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:10 am

guru wrote:Certainly good news for Bianca Knight, who looked to be the odd woman out with the emergence of Tianna Madison. Right now you'd have to think she has the inside track, though it will bear watching how wildcard UCF frosh Octavious Freeman develops over the next few months following her 11.10 last Friday.

Guru, Last time I saw BK she was false starting at a indoor meet while wearing a track
outfit that appeared to belong to a much smaller athlete. I don't see SRR in the mix for a 4x1 spot, there's plenty of speed to choose from for the US women.
DJG

Postby guru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:20 am

DJG - I agree with you regarding Knight. But she didnt belong on it last year either over Anderson, yet there she was.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:43 am

guru wrote:DJG - I agree with you regarding Knight. But she didnt belong on it last year either over Anderson, yet there she was.

And if I recall correctly, she did show up for both of the "mandatory" relay camps that some of them skipped, so that should get her extra consideration in my book.

I would suggest that folks on this thread check out the video of the Texas A&M's NCAA women's record race from 2009. Here's the breakdown of the PR's/SB's.

You do the math.

This is good, but not great, footspeed, but they executed. As a matter of fact, their 2010 team had more footspeed, but never ran as fast. Not only did the outgoing runners get out well, but none of them even put their hands back to receive the baton until they got into the second half of the zone. Why can't our national team duplicate this sort of passing efficiency?
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
guru wrote:DJG - I agree with you regarding Knight. But she didnt belong on it last year either over Anderson, yet there she was.

And if I recall correctly, she did show up for both of the "mandatory" relay camps that some of them skipped, so that should get her extra consideration in my book.

I would suggest that folks on this thread check out the video of the Texas A&M's NCAA women's record race from 2009. Here's the breakdown of the PR's/SB's.

You do the math.

This is good, but not great, footspeed, but they executed. As a matter of fact, their 2010 team had more footspeed, but never ran as fast. Not only did the outgoing runners get out well, but none of them even put their hands back to receive the baton until they got into the second have of the zone. Why can't our national team duplicate this sort of passing efficiency?

Cant compare a college team that trains together everyday, to pro athletes who meet about 5 times(or less?) a year for baton work.
ATK

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 am

ATK wrote:Cant compare a college team that trains together everyday, to pro athletes who meet about 5 times(or less?) a year for baton work.

Sure you can compare them because it is central to the point being made, that practice and passing ability can trump Open 100 marks, often substantially. It can be a little misleading if the last three of these gals (especially 11.5/11.6) were mediocre out of the blocks, but a 'little misleading and a second faster per 'rolling-start leg' trumps even what the French managed. It also implies that the US men could beat even the fastest quartet of Jamaicans if the same passing efficiency was achieved (although getting that kind of passing efficiency at the speed of a 36 is different than at the speed of a 42).
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 am

guru wrote:
CookyMonzta wrote:

And i heard he's already got 7 kids with 7 different women :shock:

http://blogs.bet.com/celebrities/entert ... dbeat-dad/
mump boy

Postby ATK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:02 pm

26mi235 wrote:
ATK wrote:Cant compare a college team that trains together everyday, to pro athletes who meet about 5 times(or less?) a year for baton work.

Sure you can compare them because it is central to the point being made, that practice and passing ability can trump Open 100 marks, often substantially. It can be a little misleading if the last three of these gals (especially 11.5/11.6) were mediocre out of the blocks, but a 'little misleading and a second faster per 'rolling-start leg' trumps even what the French managed. It also implies that the US men could beat even the fastest quartet of Jamaicans if the same passing efficiency was achieved (although getting that kind of passing efficiency at the speed of a 36 is different than at the speed of a 42).

I was going for the practice makes perfect idea for the passing efficiency.
ATK

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:14 pm

ATK wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Why can't our national team duplicate this sort of passing efficiency?

Cant compare a college team that trains together everyday, to pro athletes who meet about 5 times(or less?) a year for baton work.

I never understood why pro athletes, who have been running relays since they were in high school, have to be taught the basics of running a 4x100 when they make national teams. Familiarity with each other should be a trivial matter, once you determine where to locate the go marks in the first practice session. Pro baseball players don't have to be retaught the fundamentals of the double-play every time they're traded from one team to another. All-stars teams turn the double-play just as efficiently and smoothely as regular Major League teams. Why do so many of our elite sprinters seem to not know the fundamentals of the 4x100 relay? Doesn't everyone know that the first and third legs run on the inside of the lane while the second and fourth legs run on the outside? Don't they all know that when the outgoing runner leaves early or late, bad things happen? And don't they know that they are supposed to never reach for the baton, but rather provide a steady target for the incoming runner? :(
jazzcyclist

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:18 pm

You know how you fix this problem? You put Jeter on the second leg and Felix on the anchor

Knight/Anderson
Jeter
Solomon/Richards-Ross
Felix

That would work perfectly fine. Or you go really radical and you have Jeter lead off.
JumboElliott

Postby Smoke » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 pm

You guys love talking this nonsense about creating some mythical relay team of random pro athletes from all over the country that will perfect their hand offs and NOT drop the stick and run real fast. Well here is a newsflash, the Jamaicans hold the wr because they are FASTER not because they have better sticks! We, the USA, held the record and dominated for a spell because we were FASTER! I trump your french wr team with every US team of that era and since then.
Stop your dreaming about one team, etc. Jeter and Felix train and live in the LA area, Bianca trains in Texas, Alex in Texas, Shalonda in Florida, Sanya between Texas and NY, when do you see these ladies getting in that extra practice time you so cherish? And this is just a few ladies we can chose from. If you are not using Felix and jeter on your team, I will wait for nationals, take those 2 and a couple of ladies that meet my criteria of performance, i.e. speed and lets race at worlds.
Smoke

Postby guru » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Smoke wrote:You guys love talking this nonsense about creating some mythical relay team of random pro athletes from all over the country that will perfect their hand offs and NOT drop the stick and run real fast.

Before Hooker exited stage left, I truly felt there was a better than even chance that they would not only win gold, but smash the WR. Now, with EVERY handoff guaranteed to be new, better than even chance stick hits deck(even with Drummond working his magic)

Here's what I'd like to see - TBD(hopefully Madison runs the 100 as well as the 60), Richards-Ross, Felix(move her to three so you have a veteran stick-handler, who also happens to be a 200 specialist, hauling ass into Jeter), Jeter.

Not likely to happen, though I still think it wasn't coincidence Hooker's fellow Longhorn SRR was in that 100 at the Texas Relays
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Smoke wrote:You guys love talking this nonsense about creating some mythical relay team of random pro athletes from all over the country that will perfect their hand offs and NOT drop the stick and run real fast. Well here is a newsflash, the Jamaicans hold the wr because they are FASTER not because they have better sticks! We, the USA, held the record and dominated for a spell because we were FASTER! I trump your french wr team with every US team of that era and since then.

What's wrong with the teams with superior footspeed passing as well as the teams with the subpar footspeed?
Smoke wrote:If you are not using Felix and jeter on your team, I will wait for nationals, take those 2 and a couple of ladies that meet my criteria of performance, i.e. speed and lets race at worlds.

Why does Felix start like she's getting ready to run an 800?
jazzcyclist

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 pm

I'd rather put SRR on the curve over Felix if those two are going to be running on the 4x100. Felix has never been an excellent curve runner so why not set her to do what she always does? Set her on the backstretch where she can fly! SRR should either run the 1st or the 3rd leg and leave Jeter on the anchor. Anderson I like but I don't think she should be starting and I don't remember her running a curve really so I don't like the idea of her running the 1st or the 3rd leg.
t_monk

Postby Gabriella » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 am

Can the Great Britain team medal in this event? More often than not, either Jamaica or the USA mess up, leaving the other to win comfortably and robbing us of a great battle.

I wonder with the home advantage, can Britain go for a medal ahead of Russia, Bahamas, Trinidad et al?

The Germans have been having relay camp training since the end of last year; 6 men and women are selected and go on a few of these camps throughout the year. I'd like to think Britian do the same, but we don't. If we could make our girls practice together we're in with a shout for a medal.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:28 am

I'm sure i just wrote this but it disappeared :?

There are very few countries outside the top 2 who have 4 runners in the 11.1 range which i hope the UK will have this summer (wishful thinking i know but i'm sticking with it) a team of Jeannette, Jodie, Asha, Abi could be very close to a medal especially if someone inevitably drops the baton, in fact i'm convinced we would have won a medal in Beijing if we'd got the baton round ourselves.

If they did medal it would probably be my favourite track moment of all time :D
mump boy

Postby gh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:13 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

You do the math.

This is good, but not great, footspeed, but they executed. As a matter of fact, their 2010 team had more footspeed, but never ran as fast. Not only did the outgoing runners get out well, but none of them even put their hands back to receive the baton until they got into the second half of the zone. Why can't our national team duplicate this sort of passing efficiency?

Because it spends what, 5% as much time practicing passing as do Pat Henry's groups? Despite your later assertion that it's no different than turning a double play with a different player, there's all the difference in the world.
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 am

gh wrote:Because it spends what, 5% as much time practicing passing as do Pat Henry's groups? Despite your later assertion that it's no different than turning a double play with a different player, there's all the difference in the world.

But still . . . it's not rocket surgery. There is SOOOO little dedication to practice that it should come as zero surprise that we eff it up so often. Every year we get great lip service and very little follow-through.
Marlow

Postby Flumpy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:38 am

Gabriella wrote:Can the Great Britain team medal in this event? More often than not, either Jamaica or the USA mess up, leaving the other to win comfortably and robbing us of a great battle.

Much as I'd love it to happen I'm pretty certain GB are as likely to drop the baton as US or JAM.
Flumpy

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:58 am

gh wrote:Because it spends what, 5% as much time practicing passing as do Pat Henry's groups? Despite your later assertion that it's no different than turning a double play with a different player, there's all the difference in the world.

The fundamentals of running the 4x100 are as few and even more basic than turning a double play, since in baseball, players must react differently depending on where the ball is hit, while 4x100 relay runners execute the same way every time regardless of what the other teams are doing.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:03 am

It's a matter of tolerances; the shortstop and second baseman have many square feet in which to roam; relay runners have a teeny-tiny patch. And if the DP effort only performs at 50% efficiency, that's considered success; anything less t han 99.99 in the relay is failure.

Not remotely comparable.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:28 am

gh wrote: And if the DP effort only performs at 50% efficiency, that's considered success; anything less t han 99.99 in the relay is failure.

Not remotely comparable.

Bad analogy. Success in this scenario shouldn't be defined by how often a baseball team gets the second out of an attempted double play, rather we should define it by how often that team makes an error attempting a double play. Similarly, success in relays should be defined by three smoothe and efficient baton exchanges, not by how often that team wins its races. With relays, as with double plays, your opponents' footspeed has a lot to do with whether or not you win the race or get the second out, respectively, so these would be unreasonable measuring sticks. Lately, the U.S. has been averaging less than 50% when it comes to running clean and efficient races. A shortstop or second baseman with a 50% error rate wouldn't last in the minors very long, much less Major League Baseball.
jazzcyclist

Next