Hunger Games (17th on all time US chart and climbing)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Hunger Games (17th on all time US chart and climbing)

Postby donley2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 am

Looks like its being talked up as the next big hit along the lines of the "Twilight" and "Harry Potter" series. I read the books which I enjoyed (with the HUGE exception of part of the way the third book ended). On the surface the first book certainly seems like the sort of thing that would lend itself to being a really good movie. Has already sold a huge number of tickets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17444873
Last edited by donley2 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
donley2

Re: Hunger Games

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 am

My third grader is NOT a reader, and two pages is a good day reading for him -- he got to page 28 yesterday (on day 1).

The review I read contrasted it with the Twilight series and contrasted the actions of the heroine in the two series -- the one so smitten (bitten?) that she risks her home town, the other willing to save her sister by volunteering, and that is just the beginning of her sacrifices. I was not that interested before, but I will read it with him (a condition for seeing the movie) and take him to the movie.
26mi235

Postby donley2 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 am

Almost 20 million in midnight sales.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... s+%26+Buzz)
donley2

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I have not read the books nor seen the movie.. I am an unrepenant advocate of capital punishment and violent come-uppance for baddies but the premise of this story, as I understand it, is disturbing.. and I don't disturb easily.. It is not good clean, ridiculous, horror slasher fun.. I don't know how it is rated or the age limitation but I would not want my young child seeing it.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:53 am

Just saw it and were it not for the lead, Jennifer Lawrence (awesome in Winter's Bone), this movie would be a waste of money. She brings just the right amount of . . . moxie . . . to the role to make us care.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Marlow wrote:Just saw it and were it not for the lead, Jennifer Lawrence (awesome in Winter's Bone), this movie would be a waste of money. She brings just the right amount of . . . moxie . . . to the role to make us care.

My thinking too.. I didn't even know her name until I read the previews..Winters Bones won the Lonewolf Academy Award last year.
lonewolf

Postby donley2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Marlow wrote:Just saw it and were it not for the lead, Jennifer Lawrence (awesome in Winter's Bone), this movie would be a waste of money. She brings just the right amount of . . . moxie . . . to the role to make us care.

This is now one of my favorite movies ever. The Marlow movie rating scale has always been suspect, but I have now decided it is just totally hopeless. And to address lonewolf's "disturbing" concerns, this is not really about "kids". Those that are seen as true "killers" are basically all 18 and essentially trained assassins. The rest are seen mostly as "victims". The "kids" here are not much different from some of the ones who murder each other and end up on death row themselves sometimes. I personally do not think this is in any way a movie for young kids however. It clearly earned its PG-13.
donley2

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:36 pm

I don't care what age the assassins or victims are. The scenario that innocent people are forced to fight to the death at the whim of a dictator is abhorrent. Now, if they all turned on the dictator and drew and quartered him I would stand and cheer.
lonewolf

Postby donley2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:08 am

lonewolf wrote:I don't care what age the assassins or victims are. The scenario that innocent people are forced to fight to the death at the whim of a dictator is abhorrent. Now, if they all turned on the dictator and drew and quartered him I would stand and cheer.

That would be book 3.
donley2

Postby Marlow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:26 am

donley2 wrote:This is now one of my favorite movies ever. The Marlow movie rating scale has always been suspect, but I have now decided it is just totally hopeless.

The books were expressly written for teenagers (the Twilight crowd) and as such the plot and characterizations are stylized for their tastes. You are 'young at heart', which is good thing! Had Katniss been played by almost anyone else, the whole thing would have been just melodrama, but she elevated it to a real conflict.
Marlow

Postby donley2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Marlow wrote:
donley2 wrote:This is now one of my favorite movies ever. The Marlow movie rating scale has always been suspect, but I have now decided it is just totally hopeless.

The books were expressly written for teenagers (the Twilight crowd) and as such the plot and characterizations are stylized for their tastes. You are 'young at heart', which is good thing! Had Katniss been played by almost anyone else, the whole thing would have been just melodrama, but she elevated it to a real conflict.

While I am ok with being characterized as "young at heart" (pretty sure that is code for simple :D ), aren't you the guy that was a huge Transformers fan. I find those movies OK, but frankly juvenile and somewhat sophomoric.
donley2

Postby Marlow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:15 pm

donley2 wrote:While I am ok with being characterized as "young at heart" (pretty sure that is code for simple :D ), aren't you the guy that was a huge Transformers fan. I find those movies OK, but frankly juvenile and somewhat sophomoric.

Zackly! :D
While the Ts were undeniably based on PRE-teen male toys, I found the wit, irony and special effects to be VERY adult, but that may be just my own rationalization. :wink:
#1 and #3 were terrific; #2 was absolute dreck.
Marlow

Re: Hunger Games (155 Million on Opening Weekend)

Postby donley2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 am

Seems like the popular response was pretty good :lol:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 3351.story
donley2

Postby Marlow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 am

donley2 wrote:Seems like the popular response was pretty good

Yes, the same public that has sunk $177,000,000 into The Lorax . . . :wink:
Marlow

Postby donley2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:58 am

Marlow wrote:

Yeah, I need my money back for that one. Actually I think that just shows how willing people are to go to virtually anything that it is safe to take younger kids to.
donley2

Postby Marlow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 am

donley2 wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I think that just shows how willing people are to go to virtually anything that it is safe to take younger kids to.

I agree and Hollywood is feeding on that right now.
Marlow

Postby jamese1045 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 am

donley2 wrote:Looks like its being talked up as the next big hit along the lines of the "Twilight" and "Harry Potter" series. I read the books which I enjoyed (with the HUGE exception of part of the way the third book ended). On the surface the first book certainly seems like the sort of thing that would lend itself to being a really good movie. Has already sold a huge number of tickets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17444873

I read the books, have not seen the film. If the film is like the books, then it's heavy on violence, short on sex, and impoverished on science (even for, or especially because of sci-fi veracity.)
If the writing, plot and character, had not been so skillful--and defeating of my staunch disbelief system-I'd not have gone beyond book #1.
Will definitely catch the movie when it comes out on dvd--in my local library. :)
jamese1045

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:15 am

jamese1045 wrote:Will definitely catch the movie when it comes out on dvd--in my local library. :)

Thank you, Capt. Economic Stimulus! :wink:
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Saw it tonight with my 12 and 10 y.o. kids. Haven't read the book but might as my older child is reading it in school.

I thought the movie was really good. A disturbing premise, actually along the lines of Deliverance in how disturbing it could be, though the movie itself wasn't as graphic as it could have been. I thought the tension through the first part was nearly unbearable, heightened by the contrast between the 'haves" in the Capitol and the lambs steadily grinding their way toward slaughter. Must be a bit what it's like to be in the OG 1500, except that you know you're going to die. The prep days, kind of like the prelims....but you're gonna die. The press hounding you....but you're really gonna die. The adoring, idiotic fans....and you're gonna die. Your handlers, some well-meaning, some buffoons.....you're going to die. The last tense hour....you're gonna die. The countdown to the start....but you're gonna die.

The play off of reality TV (which will hasten the downfall of modern civilization, IMHO) was done well, not over the top for what a post-apocalyptic world might be like. Devaluation of life. Lord of the Flies. Good vs. evil. Do the right thing. Lots of themes woven in without too much saccharin. They could have left out that rule change and done as well.

I think the lack of....riveting substance? behind lead Jennifer Lawrence was needed and maybe intentional. It WAS all about her and what she stood for. Everything else was just to support her character's story.
DrJay

Postby donley2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:44 am

Nice to have someone much more eloquent than myself also like this flick. And the book is actually told from Katniss point of view.
donley2