oh man, it's time to buy ANOTHER iPhone?!

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

oh man, it's time to buy ANOTHER iPhone?!

Postby gh » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 am

"...Stop me if you've already seen this," Jobs quipped as he introduced the iPhone 4 to a packed audience at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0qHC7RSem
gh

Re: oh man, it's time to buy ANOTHER iPhone?!

Postby gm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 am

I particularly enjoyed the part of his gabfest where he showed how good the NY Times looked... or not :lol:
gm

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:15 am

What some people will do for an iPhone 4:

http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed/20 ... inity-for/
tandfman

Postby gh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:43 am

And 16 months later, the new and improved 4S

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1LD9FG.DTL
gh

Postby jhc68 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 am

Based on initial reactions and reviews, it's not time to buy another iPhone yet.
jhc68

Postby gh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 am

I still haven't bought the previous iteration!
gh

Postby no one » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 am

One of my sons-in-law buys the new flavor apple iPhone every time one comes out. Its always a must have. Befuddles me. He almost always sells the outdated model for at or near the cost of the new one. Don't ask me how - but he does it. So he's essentially getting new goodies for a few bucks.

My son on the other hand researches things - and decides. He's a computer guy so I think he is a bit more discriminating.

However neither one is a T&F fan - so I discount everything they say.
no one

Postby DrJay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 am

I still have a simple flip-phone but am ready to get a smart phone. I've heard the pros and cons of the iPhone vs. the Android OS phones. The former sounds easier for non-tech folks to use, the latter with more possibilities if you're into tapping into them. I'm comfortable either way, but I'm not sure I'll use it for more than email, looking up trivia on the Internet, checking a restaurant address, and maybe some basic medical apps like drug interaction programs. Which one do you guys use and like?
DrJay

Postby Rye Catcher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:11 am

We bought I-phone 3s several years ago and they have changed our lives. Does far more than I need so I see no reason to upgrade though after witnessing free Skype on an I-phone 4 I am tempted.
Rye Catcher

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 am

Rye Catcher wrote:We bought I-phone 3s several years ago and they have changed our lives. Does far more than I need so I see no reason to upgrade though after witnessing free Skype on an I-phone 4 I am tempted.

I am in Dr. Jay's part of the population (well, if I got to be as smart as him, but there has to be some slack in the group definition). Can you elaborate on what the smart phone does that I: 1) need; 2) would need if I knew about it and how to re-structure our lives; 3) is really neat and cool and worth points from that score. I have younger kids and having 'whizzy' electronics is not the standard I want them to emulate any earlier than necessary.
26mi235

Postby DrJay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 am

26mi235 wrote:I am in Dr. Jay's part of the population (well, if I got to be as smart as him...

A little false modesty from the guy who posted:

"The systematic effect does not have to be too large. I am guessing that they measurement is based on the frequency with which they get Tau versions but I find it confusing if that is the mechanism. Specifically, my confusion is that the high speed of neutrinos means that they take longer on our clocks to decay than on their clocks. But, how does this calculation work when you have v > c and what partical is it when the mass has gone through an expansion due to terms of the form 1/((1-(v^2/c^2))^1/2 [going from memory here]??"

in the neutrino thread. :)
DrJay

Postby no one » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am

26:

prob buttin in here

but my son does virtually anything that can be done on a desk or lap top - with phone calls being just one function. He is charge of a company's security needs and keeping the whole network running smoothly and up to date. He does some of that from his fancy phone.

Both have games - but I think you can select/remove/control

I have a 4 year old grand-daughter who asks for 'the IPhone" to play games but my daughter has only educational or developmental games available for her. She's been doing this for close to 2 yrs, i.e., games w phone I guess are + or -But she knows how to get into it and choose from a fairly large menu /selection of games.

I'm sure others will more clearly be able to describe the pros/cons and capabilities of these. I've just stayed with your basic blackberry and rarely venture into the twilight zone of these magical contraptions.
no one

Postby gh » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:40 am

I could live with a smart phone in general, perhaps, but not without my iPhone.

Excuse me if this sounds like a commercial for Apple, but the ability to "seamlessly" link things like my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, etc., etc. (among my phone, home machine, office machine and laptop), having my phone with me keeps me in the loop at all times.

And this from a guy who uses it as PHONE, actually talking to people, on the average less than once a week, incoming or outgoing.
gh

Postby guru » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Still beetling along with my 2009 BlackBerry Storm. Aside from the battery going bad this past May, and the occasional crash that necessitates a battery pull, I can't say anything is encouraging me to part with $200+ to try the latest iPhone flavor.
guru

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 pm

iPhone's screen is too small for me; I had to get this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/kyocera-echo-review/
Marlow

Postby guru » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Steve Jobs has passed

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/
guru

Postby DrJay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Whoa. Only 56.
DrJay

Postby guru » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 pm

guru

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the comments. I do not have the contact and connectivity needs of gh or many people with a lot, but fewer such contacts. The security position argues for having a lot of things to manage the demands and how effectively to deal with them and have a life.

I suppose that I might describe my wife and I as technically sophisticated techno-phobes, if that makes any sense. It just seems like there is so much stuff to do in order to get advantages in getting things done that I want to do. We have a 'narrowly technical' daughter of 15 who has a cell phone that she hardly ever used and only got texting on it because she was taking various trips to regional and national competitions where they were communicating with texts. She finally decided that she need a computer when working on her the SOW of 'rocket club' team for their funding proposal to NASA and needed to drag all the pieces and the simulation software around to meetings and eventually to launch sites. We are hoping she shows up enough of the steps for various things...
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:49 am

jhc68 wrote:Based on initial reactions and reviews, it's not time to buy another iPhone yet.

Not what this reviewer says (I'm drooling)

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-1 ... ovsky.html
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Having a smart phone (not an i-phone but a droid) but having played around with relatives iphones as well as other smartphones, I just don't get it. It was really cool at first. Somethings are handy. I like the GPS functions for driving especially. I have come to realize all in all, it does not change my life that much and in some ways hurts it. It is certainly not valuable enough to keep going after next generation modifications that add a little feature or two. I have a brother and a nephew that always have to have the next new thing. I am sure Apple needs these people to continue to fatten their bottom line, even if the incremental value they are providing is marginal.

I am actually deleting apps that end up wasting time on garbage I don't need in life where I can replace it with something that adds more value. Sometimes as a human race I think we are too plugged into technology, games, movies, etc. and not enough where it counts . . . with family and friends and activities where we can learn or develop skills.

Am I alone?
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:54 pm

not alone, but in a decided minority!
gh

Postby gm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Definitely not alone. There are very few "apps" that are worth even 10 seconds of your life. Most are utter time-wasting crap that add nothing. I even find myself going back to real books since the experience is much more familiar and comfortable than the e-readers.
gm

Postby gh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:00 pm

other than the preinstalled things (like weather, calendar, etc., that are essential), I've got very few Apps, but I'd hate to try to get along without these:

google voice
solitaire
Facebook
Shazam (song recognition)
flashlight
sports ticker
gh

Postby gm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 pm

gm

Postby gh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 am

AT&T, Verizon and Sprint have all reported that they've presold their entire allotment of phones a day before they officially go on sale.

AT&T now figuring 3-4 weeks delivery time.

One can't help but wonder, of course, if Apple isn't doing a masterful job (learning from Sony?) of creating an artificial shortage, which only drives up the must-have impulse.
gh

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 am

tandfman

Postby kuha » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:51 pm

For anyone who doesn't know it (I didn't at first!), both the 4 and 4S have great stopwatch functions, with lap/split features.
kuha

Postby gm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:27 pm

kuha wrote:For anyone who doesn't know it (I didn't at first!), both the 4 and 4S have great stopwatch functions, with lap/split features.

As does my Blackberry! (couldn't resist...)
gm

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 pm

I wouldn't describe the BlackBerry's stopwatch function as great. Its operation is so unlike that of a normal stopwatch that half of the time, I mess things up when I try to use it by pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.

(Edited to fix typo)
Last edited by tandfman on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tandfman

Postby gm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

tandfman wrote:I wouldn't describe the BlackBerry's stopwatch function as great. Its operation is so unlike that of a nromal stopwatch that half of the time, I mess things up when I try to use it by pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.

Ahhhh, but do you have the new 9930?
gm

Postby gh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:27 pm

hoot mon!

<<Scottish iPhone users have found themselves lost in translation as the gadget's new voice recognition app can't understand their accent....>>

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1bwAwdSJP
gh

Postby kuha » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Don't know what it "means" overall, but my 3 month old iPhone4 died today for no obvious reason at all. Was on the (other) phone with them for more than an hour, with no real result, so need to go back to the Apple store... Sheesh...
kuha

Postby gm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm

kuha wrote:Don't know what it "means" overall, but my 3 month old iPhone4 died today for no obvious reason at all. Was on the (other) phone with them for more than an hour, with no real result, so need to go back to the Apple store... Sheesh...

That's not possible. They just work.
gm

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:14 pm

gm wrote:They just work.

Except when the battery runs out of juice prematurely.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/3 ... laints/?hp
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 pm

I've had mine 10 days. Noticed my first (apparent) battery problem today. Charged it last night and it was down to 20% by 11:00am with very little use. Maybe the charger wasn't working, but I'm pretty sure it was.
DrJay

Postby gh » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 am

another reason to go iPhone

<<...In the era of the personal computer, Apple Inc.'s machines were often less vulnerable to security threats than the alternatives. That may also be the case with the rise of smart phones.

Google Inc.'s Android operating system for mobile devices has had an almost sixfold increase in threats such as spyware and viruses since July, according to Juniper Networks Inc. That may increase the perception that Apple devices are safer than smart phones and tablets that run on Android, said Juniper.

"You're not going to see nearly the number of infections on Apple as you see on Android," said...>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1dzgosJKh
gh

Postby tandfman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:36 am

A great iPhone app story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/nyreg ... -push.html

Thief steals an iPhone 4. Victim calls the police.
When Officer Garland and Sgt. Richard Coan arrived, they found the woman crying, but Mr. Garland reassured her. “I told her when I walked in, ‘I’m going to find your iPhone,’ ” he said.

The ace up the sleeve of Officer Garland, an avid Apple consumer — he and his wife own iPhones, iPads and Macintosh computers — was something called “Find My iPhone,” a free 5.4-megabyte piece of software, or app, that he had on the iPhone in his pocket.

Officer pushes the right button, tracks down the phone and the thief, returns the former and arrests the latter.
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

tandfman

Postby jamboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm

The iphone is so yesterday. I could name 10 android phones that are superior to the iphone in every way.
jamboy

Next