Volker Mai

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Volker Mai

Postby RQ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 pm

I was looking for something else on the UF web site and saw this
http://www.ufl.edu/2011/10/31/volker-mai/
RQ

Re: Volker Mai

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for posting. I wonder how many track athletes, and especially TJ'ers, in his classes don't have a clue of his track credentials.
Grasshopper

Postby preston » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing; however, Mai is hardly a secret. He coached jumpers at Univ of Georgia (US State not country) for a while and was married to Yvonne Mai-Graham (also of E. Germany; she has a twin sister who also competed...) who eventually competed for Jamaica after marrying Winthrop Graham (1992 Olympic Silver).
preston

Postby Erich » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am

... Mai, Volker is certainly not a surprise, nevertheless an unpleasant one ... doped in the 80's allowing him to outscore his opponents ( as did many East-German athletes in the DDR/GDR, East Germany) but more and most importantly: Mai is listed prior to the fall of the DDR as SED party member and as employed and used by the Staatsicherheitsdienst (STASI) ... for what purpose? ... to watch and report on other DDR team members to remain loyal to the unhuman DDR regime ... Mai is certainly *** not *** a surprise now working at the Univerity of Florida in Gainesville ... wondering if the Department of Microbiology and Cell Science Emerging Pathogens Institute at UF is aware of Mai's illustrious 'career' in the former DDR/GDR ...
Erich

Postby Dietmar239 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 am

Loved watching him compete in Stockholm, 87'. His technique was so efficient and approach was quite speedy. Could have gone a lot farther.
Dietmar239

Location: I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.