Tim Tebow

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Tim Tebow

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 am

I never thought I'd ever hear that word.. option... talked about in the NFL. No way in hell that formation will work at the NFL level. The reason being no QB can take an NFL beating. Then here comes Tim Tebow. Sure it's cute/different/unique right now and will be for the 2011 season. Tebow will probably last ...this...season. Like last night his "thang" will probably make it thru the season. It is kinda cool to watch something different at the NFL level. A big strong kid with an average arm running over NFL defenders as he looks to the Heavens. When have we ever seen that? How long can this strange/weird/unique situation last? Not very long. If ever there was a lock/sure bet/gurantee/100% sure thing, here it is.....

Tim Tebow cannot continue to play .."here I come try to stop me"...in the NFL. It's just a matter of time until he is injured. There is nothing a defender (at all levels) wants more than to be the guy who knocked the QB out of the game. That is the ultimate, that is the pinnacle. You will be the hero. Your butt will hurt from all the slaps.

Joe Kapp couldn't throw the ball worth a damn and neither could Bill Kilmer. Yet both had "good" careers. Tim Tebow cannot survive the NFL trying to run over NFL defenders. That will not work. So this is what Denver does, since they have made it known they are willing to be different.

Put Orton back in there, so they have a real NFL offense. Once inside the 10/short yardage situations bring in Tebow to do his thang. Now that...will he run or throw...is very real, those backers will be..??? Of course Orton won't like it but he's not liking it now...so...

The guy really is different isn't he? None of that...me, me. me...bull we see from most these prima donna's. A guy who really does buy into God, country, mom and apple pie. Yep...unique!
Avante

Re: Tim Tebow

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 am

I must admit that I am getting caught up in Tebow mania at the moment. The Broncos are the one team (besides the home team) that I want to see every week at the moment. But it is more like wanting to see the freak show. I am intrigued so much to see how he can be such a lousy passer and still be in the game and yet, somehow, they are finding a way to win. It's entertaining, but I don't think it will last long, nor do I think his career as an NFL QB will last long.

I think for one, the rest of the team is stepping up and playing above the level they have played before, particularly the defense, because they know the team will not score much. Had the rest of the team played this well with Kyle Orton would Tebow even be playing right now? There is no way his body will last, and the defenses will eventually catch up to these schemes. What happens when they get down two touchdowns?

One thing is for sure, the Broncos are getting lots of media and fan attention.
odelltrclan

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:05 am

odelltrclan wrote:I must admit that I am getting caught up in Tebow mania at the moment. The Broncos are the one team (besides the home team) that I want to see every week at the moment. But it is more like wanting to see the freak show. I am intrigued so much to see how he can be such a lousy passer and still be in the game and yet, somehow, they are finding a way to win. It's entertaining, but I don't think it will last long, nor do I think his career as an NFL QB will last long.

I think for one, the rest of the team is stepping up and playing above the level they have played before, particularly the defense, because they know the team will not score much. Had the rest of the team played this well with Kyle Orton would Tebow even be playing right now? There is no way his body will last, and the defenses will eventually catch up to these schemes. What happens when they get down two touchdowns?

One thing is for sure, the Broncos are getting lots of media and fan attention.

I think most feel like we do. It is something different at the NFL level which is cool. I also want to see Denver play because of Tebow. To see an NFL QB actually looking to knock some defender around....totally unique! I doubt anyone sees it lasting long however. So we might as well enjoy it right now. Yes as you said, defenses will be catching up to the scheme. Hell, just go man to man with your cornerbacks, bring the safeties up, put 9 in the box and see if Tebow can beat you throwing the ball.
Avante

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:20 am

Avante wrote:To see an NFL QB actually looking to knock some defender around....totally unique!

And to see some of those defenders exhibit fear of being hit. How many of them have we seen over the years salivate at the chance to hit a QB. Now, some of them look like they are dreading the contact or cringe as it is about to happen when he engages them. I love it.

Of course, it is also fun to see (like in the game last night) Tebow get plastered by a lineman on one of those option plays. He looked around like a flag should be coming. Hey Tebow, your considered a blocker now, don't be looking for flags in your offense when you are a runner!

I don't think Bradshaw was much of a passer either, but I would take Kapp, Kilmer, Bradshaw or Blanda as a passer any day over Tebow. But, this is a breath of fresh air at the moment for the NFL!
odelltrclan

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:29 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Avante wrote:To see an NFL QB actually looking to knock some defender around....totally unique!

And to see some of those defenders exhibit fear of being hit. How many of them have we seen over the years salivate at the chance to hit a QB. Now, some of them look like they are dreading the contact or cringe as it is about to happen when he engages them. I love it.

Of course, it is also fun to see (like in the game last night) Tebow get plastered by a lineman on one of those option plays. He looked around like a flag should be coming. Hey Tebow, your considered a blocker now, don't be looking for flags in your offense when you are a runner!

I don't think Bradshaw was much of a passer either, but I would take Kapp, Kilmer, Bradshaw or Blanda as a passer any day over Tebow. But, this is a breath of fresh air at the moment for the NFL!

I hear ya, I also saw some.."yikes!"...out of guys where it's usually...GRRR! vs a QB. Yep, you gotta love it.

Bradshaw did have two HOF receivers in Stallworth and Swann and a HOF back in Franco Harris. Thinking back he did just toss it up there knowing Swann could out jump everyone and Stallworth could get deep. He was however a better passer than Tebow (as you mentioned), not to be confused with a great passer. Billy Kilmer did run a wishbone at UCLA, was a good runner.

Kilmer (paste)

After the conclusion of a UCLA career that saw him finish among the top five in school history for passing and rushing yards, as well as total offense, Kilmer played in the 1961 College All-Star Game, where he earned Most Valuable Player honors.

Just think...a HOF center in Mike Webster hiking to a HOF QB in Bradshaw who handed off/threw to HOFers Harris, Stallworth and Swann. Wow! Then here came the defense and their four HOFers.
Avante

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 am

I tivo'd Tebow's 95 yard game winning drive! Must see TV. What a story, what a great kid, I'm a devote agnostic but I may have to re-think that! :shock: :lol: :arrow: :twisted:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby guru » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 am

I wonder how "bored" Revis Island is this morning...
guru

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:57 am

SQUACKEE wrote:I tivo'd Tebow's 95 yard game winning drive! Must see TV. What a story, what a great kid, I'm a devote agnostic but I may have to re-think that! :shock: :lol: :arrow: :twisted:

Best thing that has happened to God in awhile, Tim Tebow.
Avante

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 am

guru wrote:I wonder how "bored" Revis Island is this morning...

The myth of the...lock-down...shut-down...corner :roll: There is no such beast.
Avante

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am

Avante wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:I tivo'd Tebow's 95 yard game winning drive! Must see TV. What a story, what a great kid, I'm a devote agnostic but I may have to re-think that! :shock: :lol: :arrow: :twisted:

Is that why even players of faith (Lions defense) mocked his repetitious public acts of piety?
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:07 am

The problem is, why could he do that only once or twice in a game?

Seems to me when they hit a team that scores 10-20 points often he can get down the field enough times. But what is he going to do when Aaron Rodgers is on the other team and is putting up 42 points on 27 of 33 with four TDs and no interceptions? They have played the NFC North twice this year: 23-49 (Green Bay on the road pre-Tebow) and 10-45 (Detroit at home w/ Tebow, the TD coming in the 4th when it was 45-3 and the subs were in), and that was Detroit's only victory in the last month. It seems me that if they get behind by very much they will start to have to put it in the air, and that is a dicey proposition for a passer with mediocre precision and without a lot of practice and savvy at reading defenses.

It seems that one of his biggest advantages is that for a mediocre QB, the category of QB that can usually be blitzed, Tebow can make them pay because he can escape out the front or sides of the pocket. However, is he any better with his legs than Vick and others of that type and is he as good with his arm?
26mi235

Postby Avante » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 am

Pego wrote:
Avante wrote:

Is that why even players of faith (Lions defense) mocked his repetitious public acts of piety?

Here we are talking about God....right? Why, yep...Tim Tebow. I have no doubts that there are some who were on the fence with..."is there a God?"...who are now thinking...."just maybe...." because of ...Tim Tebow. When was the last time you watched a football game and came away thinking .."he sure loves his God".

Trust me, most the time the defense is talking about ..yo mama..or what they are going to break first. So.............

Denver does have a home game vs NE left on their schedule. If they were to win that game (they won't) and if asked how they did it and Tebow were to..."you believe in Him and anything can happen"......
Avante

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:04 am

Avante wrote:Here we are talking about God....right?

No, what we see is a public display of perceived superior morality. I don't care, if it is religious, patriotic, fidelity, sobriety...You love your God, your country, your wife, your life-style, fine. You don't have to repeat it to the world ad nauseam.
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:20 am

Pego wrote:

No, what we see is a public display of perceived superior morality. I don't care, if it is religious, patriotic, fidelity, sobriety...You love your God, your country, your wife, your life-style, fine. You don't have to repeat it to the world ad nauseam.

Ditto and amen to that.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 am

''Here we are talking about God....right? Why, yep...Tim Tebow. I have no doubts that there are some who were on the fence with..."is there a God?"...who are now thinking...."just maybe...." because of ...Tim Tebow.''

I suppose but those who left early might have had the opposite impression.

'The Broncos had been inept offensively for nearly the entire game, punting on eight consecutive possessions and going three-and-out on seven of them before getting the ball back at their own 5-yard line with 5:54 to play and trailing 13-10.'

I guess when the Donkeys play a really good team outside of Denver then we will know... :roll:
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby lonewolf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Pego wrote:

That is kinda the way it hits me too.. sorta "methinks thou doth protest too much"..
who are you trying to convince Tim, me or yourself?
lonewolf

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Pego wrote:No, what we see is a public display of perceived superior morality. . . .

Pego, that is a bit judgmental, don't you think? I am not saying this to try to criticize you but just so that you and others would think a little more about it. I have convictions just as deep as Tebow, if not more. I usually am not bothered by athletes praying and giving thanks to God if they feel that is necessary for them in their form of worship. To be honest, to me, Tebow does go overboard and that is not good. I was always taught (though reading scripture primarily) that we should not do our alms (and prayer) before men to be seen of them, but that we should do such in secret. When I see it Tebow's poses, I cringe a little because I think people might get bothered by it which is confirmed a bit by the reactions of some on this board. You also see other player's mocking him from time to time.

I don't believe he is insincere in what he is doing. A bit misguided maybe, but I seriously doubt any form of a superiority complex has anything to do with it. He just may feel that he offends God if he does not do it and I am willing to believe that he feels stronger in his desire NOT to offend God than to worry about what people think about him. I am sure that I am in a huge minority if not completely alone here on this, probably knowing more about where his is at than others of you (professed athiests, agnostics, apathy, or whatever), I know most of us do not feel superior in the manner your speaking of.
odelltrclan

Postby Pego » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:01 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
Pego wrote:No, what we see is a public display of perceived superior morality. . . .

Pego, that is a bit judgmental, don't you think? I am not saying this to try to criticize you but just so that you and others would think a little more about it. I have convictions just as deep as Tebow, if not more. I usually am not bothered by athletes praying and giving thanks to God if they feel that is necessary for them in their form of worship. To be honest, to me, Tebow does go overboard and that is not good. I was always taught (though reading scripture primarily) that we should not do our alms (and prayer) before men to be seen of them, but that we should do such in secret. When I see it Tebow's poses, I cringe a little because I think people might get bothered by it which is confirmed a bit by the reactions of some on this board. You also see other player's mocking him from time to time.

I don't believe he is insincere in what he is doing. A bit misguided maybe, but I seriously doubt any form of a superiority complex has anything to do with it. He just may feel that he offends God if he does not do it and I am willing to believe that he feels stronger in his desire NOT to offend God than to worry about what people think about him. I am sure that I am in a huge minority if not completely alone here on this, probably knowing more about where his is at than others of you (professed athiests, agnostics, apathy, or whatever), I know most of us do not feel superior in the manner your speaking of.

No, I don't think I am judgmental. After all, you agree in principle with what I said. You are a man of faith, yet you don't wear it on your sleeve for all to see. Tebow does. I know nothing what his faith is about and what he thinks God expects of him. He may be sincere, but usually the ones that need to show the world every step of the way what they believe, usually turn out less than what it at first seemed to be. I'll give you a parallel example in patriotism. This neighborhood guy came to a Little League game wearing a t-shirt "I support our troops". I asked him how and received a blank stare.
Pego

Postby jhc68 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Tebow is a big, strong kid with a lot of competitive fire. Like Kilmer and Randall Cunningham he is a throwback to a single wing tailback sort of player. Dyanmic physically, but he is essentailly a running back and the NFL running backs tend to have very short careers.
Cunningham lasted for several years but he was a better athlete than Tebow, and Kilmer got smarter and more wily with age... the jury is still out on how much Tebow will progress.

As for his religion, he is welcome to have any belief he wants but I don't want to hear about it or see him grandstanding about his faith. If he were an atheist I wouldn't want to see or hear him advertising his conviction that there is no need to pray after scroring a TD or winning a game. He is an entertaining player but I don't want to know about his religion or sexuality or political beliefs or anything else up close and personal.
jhc68

Postby Avante » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:35 am

Pego wrote:

We all have a relative/friend who takes their belief in God to the extreme. While it does get a little tiresome it's no "real" big deal. I agree the guy does get carried away with it but he isn't acting like a crazed banty rooster like some do when they make a play. He can carry on an intelligent conversation , as we know......................................
Avante

Postby Avante » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 am

jhc68 wrote:Tebow is a big, strong kid with a lot of competitive fire. Like Kilmer and Randall Cunningham he is a throwback to a single wing tailback sort of player. Dyanmic physically, but he is essentailly a running back and the NFL running backs tend to have very short careers.
Cunningham lasted for several years but he was a better athlete than Tebow, and Kilmer got smarter and more wily with age... the jury is still out on how much Tebow will progress.

As for his religion, he is welcome to have any belief he wants but I don't want to hear about it or see him grandstanding about his faith. If he were an atheist I wouldn't want to see or hear him advertising his conviction that there is no need to pray after scroring a TD or winning a game. He is an entertaining player but I don't want to know about his religion or sexuality or political beliefs or anything else up close and personal.

Being he is a winner and a "good kid" he does get special treatment. I do have a hard time seeing him at a strip joint with 5's in his hand as the young ladies...... I can't see him into drugs or talking dirt. I'd rather have him doing what he does as compared to how all those selfish prima donna receivers act. I'd like to say as he matures he'll drop a lot of that, but with his style he won't be lasting that long.
Avante

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 am

I don't understand why people keep saying "Tebow won't last taking all those hits". Physically impressive RBs like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Eddie George, Earl Campbell, etc...racked up thousands of carries and were very durable for 8-12 years while dishing out all of the punishment. Tebow isn't passively being crushed on the blind side while in the pocket. He's dishing out as much as he's taking. Why can't he last 10 years like the above mentioned guys? He's basically the same exact size, fitness, physique and running style as Eddie George. Let the guy steamroll some people!!

What I really wish would happen is that "we" (Everyone who is in on this conversation nationwide) would have a moratorium on the "Tebow debate" until January, 2013. Let the next 14 months pass and then we'll really have a handle on who he is, and whether his playing style is sustainable and "winning".
scottmitchell74

Postby jhc68 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:57 am

Scott, no doubt you could be right, but what you are asking for is reasoned restraint of judgment for more than a year... your request is that we all stop popping off about our expert opinions and biases at the moment such notions cross our minds. Not exactly the way message boards function :D :wink:
jhc68

Postby Avante » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:I don't understand why people keep saying "Tebow won't last taking all those hits". Physically impressive RBs like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Eddie George, Earl Campbell, etc...racked up thousands of carries and were very durable for 8-12 years while dishing out all of the punishment. Tebow isn't passively being crushed on the blind side while in the pocket. He's dishing out as much as he's taking. Why can't he last 10 years like the above mentioned guys? He's basically the same exact size, fitness, physique and running style as Eddie George. Let the guy steamroll some people!!

What I really wish would happen is that "we" (Everyone who is in on this conversation nationwide) would have a moratorium on the "Tebow debate" until January, 2013. Let the next 14 months pass and then we'll really have a handle on who he is, and whether his playing style is sustainable and "winning".

Tim Tebow might be a poor man's Larry Czonka, trust me he is not on a par with any of those you mentioned, totally different deal.

I forget what game it was ......they kept bringing in this 6-6 260 pound guy to run from the wildcat position. He scored something like 4 td's, just running over people from the two-four yard line. I have no doubts that was Tebow inspired.

At the collegiate level a Tim Tebow can survive. Hell, he did survive. I just can't see it at the NFL level....for very long. Now it's 16 games not counting preseason/playoffs. Now it's facing defenses with 11 NFLers not three or four. At 240 pounder pounder without great speed vs NFL defenses......ok...Czonka made it work. Hmmmm?
Avante

Postby guru » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:25 am

Avante, you would have enjoyed the Bengals game yesterday. Bengals OC Jay Gruden, God bless him, had Andy Dalton run an option play against the Ravens that ended, somewhat predictably, with a fumble. It hurt my eyes to watch lol
guru

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:30 am

Avante wrote: .....ok...Czonka made it work. Hmmmm?

Lets not forget that Czonka played in the 1970's. The NFL is a different game today. I remember many a QB being able to scramble and outrun defensive lineman fairly easily, the likes of Tarkenton and Staubach. They don't even compare in speed to many of today's swift footed QB's and today's QB's have a difficult time outrunning the lineman and linebackers. The fact is that many of today's defensive lineman are quicker and are more physical and athletic that those of Czonka's day, not to mention Brown. The fact that he is not a huge threat to throw also allows them to play more aggressively against the run.

There was one play last week where Tebow lateraled the ball to someone, became a blocker and was drubbed by a D-lineman and looked none too happy about the physical nature in which he got manhandled. He better get used to it.
odelltrclan

Postby Avante » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 am

guru wrote:Avante, you would have enjoyed the Bengals game yesterday. Bengals OC Jay Gruden, God bless him, had Andy Dalton run an option play against the Ravens that ended, somewhat predictably, with a fumble. It hurt my eyes to watch lol

The Bengals historically known for big power backs...Icky Woods, Pete Johnson, Bobbie Clarke, Larry Kinnebrew.

Since the "Wildcat" "Tebow-ism" we have seen more NFL teams getting funky with different formations. It's a new toy right now.
Avante

Postby Avante » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:11 am

odelltrclan wrote:
Avante wrote: .....ok...Czonka made it work. Hmmmm?

Lets not forget that Czonka played in the 1970's. The NFL is a different game today. I remember many a QB being able to scramble and outrun defensive lineman fairly easily, the likes of Tarkenton and Staubach. They don't even compare in speed to many of today's swift footed QB's and today's QB's have a difficult time outrunning the lineman and linebackers. The fact is that many of today's defensive lineman are quicker and are more physical and athletic that those of Czonka's day, not to mention Brown. The fact that he is not a huge threat to throw also allows them to play more aggressively against the run.

There was one play last week where Tebow lateraled the ball to someone, became a blocker and was drubbed by a D-lineman and looked none too happy about the physical nature in which he got manhandled. He better get used to it.

Yep, yep and yep. Jim Brown was 230 pounds, he was bigger than most backers and the D line were 250-270 pounders. Totally different deal today. With 10.0 (yards) speed Brown was as fast/faster than mose defensive backs. Tebow would get dusted by all NFL cornerbacks.

I saw that play and agree, he better get used to it.

What is being ignored is this...

Running backs come and go if they are productive for 5 seasons...great! You get a QB in hopes he'll be your man for 10 years. That's why the QB's make the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. A team is built around what they can do. No way in hell Tebow or any QB lasts 10 years banging into linebackers. Ain't gonna happen, I've changed my mind, Tim Tebow is not Larry Czonka.
Last edited by Avante on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avante

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 am

Did you guys hear Terry Bradshaw's monologue addressed to Rex Ryan yesterday? Spot on assessing Tebow.
Pego

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:47 am

Pego wrote:Did you guys hear Terry Bradshaw's monologue addressed to Rex Ryan yesterday? Spot on assessing Tebow.

Did not, what did he have to say?
odelltrclan

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
Pego wrote:Did you guys hear Terry Bradshaw's monologue addressed to Rex Ryan yesterday? Spot on assessing Tebow.

He says to Ryan "you guys got your butt whipped by a college quarterback." Then he went on talking about the winning 95-yard drive, emphasizing how it was all on the ground and the Jets "famous" defense couldn't stop it and analyzing Tebow's play. Bradshaw's "folksy" delivery and southern drawl made it even more hilarious.
Pego

Postby Avante » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

He says to Ryan "you guys got your butt whipped by a college quarterback." Then he went on talking about the winning 95-yard drive, emphasizing how it was all on the ground and the Jets "famous" defense couldn't stop it and analyzing Tebow's play. Bradshaw's "folksy" delivery and southern drawl made it even more hilarious.

Everyone keeps missing the big picture. Tebow is there to have a career he was drafted to be productive for 10 years. You draft running backs to give you some young/fresh legs for a few seasons. You draft QB's for stability and longevity. Banging into/off of linebackers........?????? That's neat/cool to watch, it's unique and different but it cannot last. No way in hell any QB is getting by with that for long. As we will be seeing.
Avante

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

Part it also that the Jets ran out of gas at Mile high. It is tough at 5280 feet.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 pm

I was listening to some nationally-syndicated talking head on the radio the other day (I gotta say, the quality of commentary in that department seems pretty damned fine at this point), and the guy (maybe Ted Robinson?) was noting that Tebow may be great in the short term, but once he becomes a legit open-field target (which is what happens to QBs who leave the pocket), the beat-him-to-a-pulp will soon render him useless.

Not becuase he can't handle it—his ability to be a big-time runner is well established, even at the NFL level—bit because you can't do that and still be a big-time QB, who actually has to pass the ball effectively.

But he certainly looks like the second coming of Bobby Douglass, easily the best power-running QB I've ever seen.
gh

Postby Avante » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:21 am

gh wrote:I was listening to some nationally-syndicated talking head on the radio the other day (I gotta say, the quality of commentary in that department seems pretty damned fine at this point), and the guy (maybe Ted Robinson?) was noting that Tebow may be great in the short term, but once he becomes a legit open-field target (which is what happens to QBs who leave the pocket), the beat-him-to-a-pulp will soon render him useless.

Not becuase he can't handle it—his ability to be a big-time runner is well established, even at the NFL level—bit because you can't do that and still be a big-time QB, who actually has to pass the ball effectively.

But he certainly looks like the second coming of Bobby Douglass, easily the best power-running QB I've ever seen.

I clicked on to talk about Bobby Douglas, you beat me to it.

Bobby was 6-4 225pounds, he had a nice 12 year career. A career that saw him rush for over 900 yards in 1972, he'd also leave the game with a better than 6 yard a carry average. There was a span of four seasons where he really tore it up as a running QB. Then he mellowed out. As we know at his size vs his time he was bigger/as big as most backers.We didn't see these monster D linemen like we do today and few cornerbacks hit with the velocity these guys hit with today. I seriously doubt Bobby Douglas is averaging over 6 yards a carry in a 2011 season. I have no doubts that Tim Tebow is having far more success in 1972 than he will in 2011.

The bottom line is very simple, if we are talking a season, a couple seasons then Tebow "might" make it work, if we are talking a 10/12 year career it's not going to happen. The prize/award for any D player is to crunch the QB, that is the ultimate high. So all we are talking about is time, how long before Tebow gets crunched. And he will get crunched, that is a 100% sure bet. Impossible for any QB to bang off of/into NFL defenders and not get crunched.....in todays NFL.

I think we all agree that him being a nice kid and seemingly so ....ah...unworldly/naive? (just can't see him in a Phillipine bar dealing with..."buy me drink babysan :D ?')....is kinda cute. His..'thank You Jesus, thank You Lord"..to the degree he takes it.....different. Here we are talking about him because of his uniqueness, so it's all good, just for how long.

youtube having a few Bobby Douglas videos.
Avante

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:24 am

What Bear fan can forget Bobby Douglass? Besides the fact the Bears also sucked then.

'With Douglass starting, the Chicago Bears had only a 13-31-1 record.
In five seasons from 1971–1975, Douglass played in 47 games and amassed 2,040 rushing yards. During that span, he averaged 43.4 rushing yards per game played—the second highest rushing yards per game average over a five-season span for a QB. Randall Cunningham ranks first with 43.5 yds/g over a five-season span from 1986–1990).
However, Douglass had little success as a passer, going 507-for-1178 for 36 touchdowns and 64 interceptions with a quarterback passer rating of only 48.5 during his 11-season NFL career.'
Conor Dary

Postby Vince » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 am

In the words of Al Davis... just win baby. Regarding the rest of you bigots on this board who have problems with someone praying, are you all in favor of 'don't ask don't tell' for the military because that's essentially what you want Tebow to follow.
Vince

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 am

Vince wrote:In the words of Al Davis... just win baby. Regarding the rest of you bigots on this board who have problems with someone praying, are you all in favor of 'don't ask don't tell' for the military because that's essentially what you want Tebow to follow.

If I am a bigot for detesting endless public displays of piety, I am in a pretty good company.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:5-6).

I might have killed this thread with a biblical verse, but this sort of ad hominem could not go unanswered.
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:11 am

Pego wrote:
Vince wrote:In the words of Al Davis... just win baby. Regarding the rest of you bigots on this board who have problems with someone praying, are you all in favor of 'don't ask don't tell' for the military because that's essentially what you want Tebow to follow.

If I am a bigot for detesting endless public displays of piety, I am in a pretty good company.

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:5-6).

I might have killed this thread with a biblical verse, but this sort of ad hominem could not go unanswered.

I hope not. Very well put.
Conor Dary

Postby Avante » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

Bigots? How about time and place? Is an NFL sideline really the best place to..."thank you Lord, thank you Jesus"...to the degree we see with Tebow? What did God have against the opposing team? Then again, could the Denver Broncos become God's team now because of Tim Tebow?
Avante

Next