Penn State/State Pen [split]

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Penn State/State Pen [split]

Postby Dutra » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:25 pm

BisonHurdler wrote:
Dutra wrote:
BisonHurdler wrote:
mojo wrote:Saw on CNN that the coach who witnessed the rape and did nothing will be coaching this weekend's game and has not resigned nor been asked to thus far. WTF?

Correct, and this makes it quite clear that the board of trustee's decision last night had less to do with cleaning up the program and much more to do with PR damage control.

For those keeping score at home, the guy who saw Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy and failed to report it to the police still has his job. The guy who only heard about his friend's awful shower activities from a second hand source - but reported it to the head of the university police department nonetheless - was immediately terminated.

You've really got to be kidding us all.

"the guy"?

I ain't.

I'm not sure what you're taking issue with re: my use of "the guy." It's a gender-appropriate descriptor, no?

If you wish to attach the moniker "the guy" to Joe Paterno....the entirety of Penn State Football then so be it. It's incredibly naive.
Dutra

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:33 pm

mojo wrote:Saw on CNN that the coach who witnessed the rape and did nothing will be coaching this weekend's game and has not resigned nor been asked to thus far. WTF?

I am not at all certain (to myself) what to think of McQueary. He was obviously shocked by what he saw and was in a personally difficult situation. Yes, it would have been good to have him stop the incident, but that is much easier said from our vantage point than from the situation. I think he had no legal obligation to do that (read the report). He did, semi-immediately report it to the biggest power in the whole business, in detail according to him and the Grand Jury thinks his version is the most credible. He then reported it in detail to the next line of official bosses, one of whom was the HEAD OF CAMPUS POLICE. That can easily be interpreted as having told the legal authorities.

As for firing him, that action may need to be held in abeyance because he is in the position of the whistle-blower; without him there would be a more difficult case to put together.

As far as I can tell, there was no link within the investigation that pointed a finger at him, he testified to the Grand Jury. May be what happened is that the 2008 case led to calling in the big wigs and in that process they got to the 2002 case, since that is the point where they 'took his keys away' and told him no more kids on campus....

Question. The grand jury started in 2008 (late) or 2009, right? Once Sandusky was identified wouldn't he be a risk to let him continue to prey on kids? There is no link to anything that happened after the 2008 report, so does that mean that they brought Sandusky in and having identified him is was clear that: 1) he was being watched; 2) the cost of anything new would be immediate and thus; 3) they deemed it not too high a risk to continue to investigate in secret. I note that he is now forbidden to be alone with his three young (<10) grandchildren.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm

gh wrote:Just heard a report on the radio that McQ has been asked not to appear on the field on Saturday.

They didn't say one way or another, but my immediate reaction was that it was because they didn't want any of the "guilty" people representing the university, but now I'm wondering if after the pro-Joe rally got a bit rough last night, and if he's viewed as a whistle-blower, if they fear for his safety from those zealots?
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Dutra wrote:If you don't think there was enough smoke to have Joe make a better effort to figure it out then you are naive.

Or maybe close to Paterno personally and unable to see the forest for the trees.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:05 pm

gh wrote:
gh wrote:Just heard a report on the radio that McQ has been asked not to appear on the field on Saturday.

They didn't say one way or another, but my immediate reaction was that it was because they didn't want any of the "guilty" people representing the university, but now I'm wondering if after the pro-Joe rally got a bit rough last night, and if he's viewed as a whistle-blower, if they fear for his safety from those zealots?

Someone on ESPN just said that they are afraid for his safety.
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Halfmiler2 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I saw that yesterday, but Paterno was dominating the news yesterday. I suspect it will get a lot more attention soon. This whole story will only get more sordid.

I wouldn't be surprised their game with Nebraska is forfeited Saturday...

One has to think that even if they get through the rest of the regular season, that they would not get a bowl bid, or if they must get a bid for contractual reasons, there would be huge pressure on them to decline it.

If things get worse, can the Big Ten seek to make them leave the conference - even if that is unfair to their other sports programs?

My brother and I were discussing the Big Ten kicking them out last night. I wouldn't be surprised some Big Ten officials are of the same mind....Who wants to be dragged down in the mud...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:20 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
gh wrote:

Someone on ESPN just said that they are afraid for his safety.

I am amazed they are still talking about playing this game...the season is over....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:43 pm

not play the game? The students would raze the whole campus.
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Dutra wrote:Paterno was the football program. . . . He was the top of the chain and chose to do very little with it. It was his job to find out what was going on.

Let me see, Sandusky was no longer a coach with the school, nor had been since 1999. Had access to the university but was not part of the football program, not an employee, not a coach . . for 3 years running at that time. Paterno heard something was amiss and took it to the person who was responsible for an incident like this. Sandusky was someone who was no longer under his charge.

Dutra wrote:If you don't think there was enough smoke to have Joe make a better effort to figure it out then you are naive.

I never said that Joe could not have done better. I said I could feel sympathy for him in making a mistake in judgment for someone who may have been a close friend. If he knew a rape occurred then I believe he should and WOULD have done more. I don't believe he knew the full gravity of the situation. If he did know and did nothing, then shame on him and he deserves the wrath people are giving him.

The simple fact is the grand jury "evidence" that McQueary gave was not the same "evidence" that Paterno gave. The actions subsequent to this meeting seem to me to favor more of what Joe said than McQueary. McQueary does nothing though he had more information than anyone, allegedly. Paterno takes what he knows to his supervisor, and the person that had the authority for handling the situation for the university. In my opinion, if Paterno knew the gravity of what was going on he would have done more, not cover it up.

I think Sandusky probably convinced him there was a misunderstanding of what McQueary saw and Paterno mistakenly believed him and did not follow up enough, though he did report the incident.

I never have said that he did not have fault or shared blame. I simply do not choose to crucify someone before all facts are known. You think you know all the facts, I don't. I think there is plenty more to come to light and that McQueary has not been forthright in all he has said, in part based on his actions and the actions of others after the incident. I may be naive, so may you. One thing is clear, you are certainly much more vindictive than I am.

And, in response to a later post, I have no close ties to Paterno, I am not a fan of Penn State. I was hoping he would retire anyway. I am simply unwilling to go along with the rest of the media driven sheep to castigate him. Many of you appear to believe he is bad as Sandusky and should be treated the same. Even Sandusky deserves his day in court.
odelltrclan

Postby BisonHurdler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Dutra wrote:If you wish to attach the moniker "the guy" to Joe Paterno....the entirety of Penn State Football then so be it. It's incredibly naive.

You must be privy to some alternate definition of the word of which I am unaware. You're grinding a very strange axe here.
Last edited by BisonHurdler on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BisonHurdler

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Sandusky deserves his day in civil court. The world moves forward with what it knows. There have been enough things starting to filter out that seem to indicate that this stuff was semi-common rumor in the area that there was a coverup either implicitly or explicitly. The outrage is driven in part by these possibilities, which do not seem particularly far fetched given their apparent sources (Penn State alums famous in football, etc.).

If some people are intent on 'harming' McQueary (silencing him, and implicitly sending a silencing signal to anyone else that might testify) then it makes those other rumors seem a little more realistic. Do you feel/think any differently about this than you did Saturday evening or whenever you first heard things?
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 pm

BisonHurdler wrote:
Dutra wrote:If you wish to attach the moniker "the guy" to Joe Paterno....the entirety of Penn State Football then so be it. It's incredibly naive.

You must be privy to some alternate definition of the word of which I am unaware. You're grinding a very strange axe here.

Dutra's post is too cryptic for me because I can't figure out what he's getting at either. For one thing, you didn't use "the guy" to refer to Paterno in you previous post. And another thing, so what if you did? What's the point?
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:47 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
Dutra wrote:Paterno was the football program. . . . He was the top of the chain and chose to do very little with it. It was his job to find out what was going on.

Let me see, Sandusky was no longer a coach with the school, nor had been since 1999. Had access to the university but was not part of the football program, not an employee, not a coach . . for 3 years running at that time. Paterno heard something was amiss and took it to the person who was responsible for an incident like this. Sandusky was someone who was no longer under his charge.

I never said that Joe could not have done better. I said I could feel sympathy for him in making a mistake in judgment for someone who may have been a close friend. If he knew a rape occurred then I believe he should and WOULD have done more. I don't believe he knew the full gravity of the situation. If he did know and did nothing, then shame on him and he deserves the wrath people are giving him.

The simple fact is the grand jury "evidence" that McQueary gave was not the same "evidence" that Paterno gave. The actions subsequent to this meeting seem to me to favor more of what Joe said than McQueary. McQueary does nothing though he had more information than anyone, allegedly. Paterno takes what he knows to his supervisor, and the person that had the authority for handling the situation for the university. In my opinion, if Paterno knew the gravity of what was going on he would have done more, not cover it up.

I think Sandusky probably convinced him there was a misunderstanding of what McQueary saw and Paterno mistakenly believed him and did not follow up enough, though he did report the incident.

I never have said that he did not have fault or shared blame. I simply do not choose to crucify someone before all facts are known. You think you know all the facts, I don't. I think there is plenty more to come to light and that McQueary has not been forthright in all he has said, in part based on his actions and the actions of others after the incident. I may be naive, so may you. One thing is clear, you are certainly much more vindictive than I am.

And, in response to a later post, I have no close ties to Paterno, I am not a fan of Penn State. I was hoping he would retire anyway. I am simply unwilling to go along with the rest of the media driven sheep to castigate him. Many of you appear to believe he is bad as Sandusky and should be treated the same. Even Sandusky deserves his day in court.

I think you have been watching too much 'media victim' coverage on Fox news.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I think you have been watching too much 'media victim' coverage on Fox news.

:lol:
jazzcyclist

Postby polevaultpower » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm

If this rumor ends up being true, this ugly story could get even uglier: http://phillysportsdaily.com/college/20 ... -out-kids/
polevaultpower

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:15 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:There is a big differance between gossip getting around the town in hushed whispers and Coaches talking to the freaking EYEWITNESS! We dont know everything but do we know enough.

I think with the sworn statements we know enough to make a logical conclusion.

Amen! There's a big difference between "believing", "thinking" or "suspecting" and "knowing". McQueary KNOWS what he saw. Paterno KNOWS what McQueary told him he saw.

And that's the difference. McQuery actually witnessed it. Paterno may or may not have understood what he was being told, but regardless he didn't witness it himself(and would be dismissed as hearsay in a court of law). He did what he should have done - relayed the information he had, such as it was, to an administrator. Though I feel he could have done more to encourage those above him to go to the authorities(and why I feel he needed to go), from an employee standpoint he has a helluva case for wrongful termination.

I'm talking about coaches who engaged in embarassing but non-criminal behavior away from the job who were let go.

Examples for comparison please.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:19 pm

And now the fallout begins.
With Penn State reeling from a child sex abuse scandal,presenting sponsor Cars.com is bailing out of ESPN's Saturday telecast of Nebraska at Penn State from State College, Pa. (12 noon ET).

The automotive sponsor doesn't want its brand associated with a telecast featuring Penn State, which fired coach Joe Paterno Wednesday after former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was indicted on criminal charges of allegedly sexually abusing young boys.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... telecast/1

How much will this end up affecting Penn State's bottom line when all is said and done?

Also, McQueary won't be coaching Saturday, either on the sidelines or in the booth. My guess is that his days of coaching at any level are over with.
jazzcyclist

Postby DrJay » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:29 pm

And after all is said and done, further up down the road, it will be back to....business as usual for NCAA football. As George Carlin said, "BUSINESS AS USUAL!" Nothing will change with regard to bad behavior being tolerated until a given incident is SO bad someone HAS to say, "well......shoot......guess we gotta get up off our arses and fire somebody." After that, more business as usual.
DrJay

Postby balzonia » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 pm

A lot of people, including some on the board here, are throwing around the words "conspiracy" and "cover-up." Conspiracies and cover-ups demand action. They take a lot of energy. JoePa didn't have this kind of energy to spend. I think the word that best describes this whole incident is apathy.

JoePa didn't truly care what happened out of his direct line of sight. And when this sordid story ended up in his lap, he did as little as possible to make sure he "met his legal obligation" without destroying his friend (Sandusky) and his program.

Same with the AD and President. They did nothing. They didn't try to buy anyone off or have anyone whacked. They ignored it and hoped it would go away quietly.

This screams apathy, not cover-up. In my mind, apathy is worse. No one involved truly cared about the boys being abused. An attempt at covering it up would, at least, show some admission that what was going on was incredibly heinous. But no one cared. Sad.
balzonia

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:35 pm

guru wrote:Examples for comparison please.

Mike Price

By the way, Paterno has contacted a prominent criminal defense lawyer.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... s-nbc-news
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:And now the fallout begins.
With Penn State reeling from a child sex abuse scandal,presenting sponsor Cars.com is bailing out of ESPN's Saturday telecast of Nebraska at Penn State from State College, Pa. (12 noon ET).

The automotive sponsor doesn't want its brand associated with a telecast featuring Penn State, which fired coach Joe Paterno Wednesday after former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was indicted on criminal charges of allegedly sexually abusing young boys.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... telecast/1

How much will this end up affecting Penn State's bottom line when all is said and done?

Also, McQueary won't be coaching Saturday, either on the sidelines or in the booth. My guess is that his days of coaching at any level are over with.

PS has become the equivalent of Bernie Madoff...

'a longtime supporter of ESPN College Football, it's important to us that we're building our brand and raising the visibility of our advertisers in a way that celebrates the sport, the dedication of its student athletes and the many reputable universities that field teams. We will still be sponsoring a game this weekend.

Will other advertisers follow? That remains to be seen. The national TV audience should be huge for Saturday's game given the media circus in Happy Valley. But the action of Cars.com could indicate the Penn State brand is becoming radioactive on Madison Avenue, at least temporarily.'
Conor Dary

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

Mike Price

Really?

From wikipedia -

A story in Sports Illustrated said that Price had been seen at a strip club. He allegedly later checked into a local hotel with at least one female exotic dancer from the club. The magazine further alleged Price had sex with one of the strippers, a claim which Price denied, although he acknowledged being intoxicated on the evening in question.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:41 pm

balzonia wrote:A lot of people, including some on the board here, are throwing around the words "conspiracy" and "cover-up." Conspiracies and cover-ups demand action. They take a lot of energy. JoePa didn't have this kind of energy to spend. I think the word that best describes this whole incident is apathy.

JoePa didn't truly care what happened out of his direct line of sight. And when this sordid story ended up in his lap, he did as little as possible to make sure he "met his legal obligation" without destroying his friend (Sandusky) and his program.

Same with the AD and President. They did nothing. They didn't try to buy anyone off or have anyone whacked. They ignored it and hoped it would go away quietly.

This screams apathy, not cover-up. In my mind, apathy is worse. No one involved truly cared about the boys being abused. An attempt at covering it up would, at least, show some admission that what was going on was incredibly heinous. But no one cared. Sad.

You're overlooking the alleged perjury by the A.D. and the vice president. I think that fits in the cover-up category.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 pm

guru wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Mike Price

Really?

From wikipedia -

A story in Sports Illustrated said that Price had been seen at a strip club. He allegedly later checked into a local hotel with at least one female exotic dancer from the club. The magazine further alleged Price had sex with one of the strippers, a claim which Price denied, although he acknowledged being intoxicated on the evening in question.

What's the cause of termination? Partying too hard? He wasn't even charged with a misdemeaner, and this happened away from the school, in the off-season and out of sight of his team.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
You're overlooking the alleged perjury by the A.D. and the vice president. I think that fits in the cover-up category.

This I agree with 100%. It was absolutely a coverup by the administration.
guru

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
guru wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Mike Price

Really?

From wikipedia -

What's the cause of termination? Partying too hard?

Personal conduct, which many(most?) professional contracts have in their language.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:51 pm

guru wrote:Personal conduct, which many(most?) professional contracts have in their language.

That's a deliberately vague catchall that could emcompass both Price's and Paterno's behavior.
jazzcyclist

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:54 pm

SQUACKEE wrote: but what I cant understand is after nothing was done why someone didnt come forward for 2 reasons.

1. This isnt going away and it will come out and then all hell is going break loose
2. How could you sleep knowing that doing nothin would result in children being raped

It's called denial!.
jeremyp

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
guru wrote:Personal conduct, which many(most?) professional contracts have in their language.

That's a deliberately vague catchall that could emcompass both Price's and Paterno's behavior.

Except Paterno did what he was supposed to - immediately inform his boss. Had he kept his mouth completely shut you might have a leg to stand on.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:04 pm

guru wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Except Paterno did what he was supposed to - immediately inform his boss. Had he kept his mouth completely shut you might have a leg to stand on.

You know and I know that these personal conduct clauses can mean whatever they want them to mean. As I pointed out earlier, Price did nothing illegal either, but legality has nothing to do with personal conduct clauses.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:09 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:

Penn State will not dismiss McQueary, because they know if they do they will be sued into insolvency for wrongful termination.

People need to understand there's a difference between professional and moral imperatives.
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:16 pm

guru wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Penn State will not dismiss McQueary, because they know if they do they will be sued into insolvency for wrongful termination.

People need to understand there's a difference between professional and moral imperatives.

They can let him go at any time as long as they write him a check for the remainder of time left on his contract. By the way, our discussion on Paterno is probably a moot point since he was in the last year of his contract. They can just scratch him a check for the remaining months also.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dutra » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 pm

balzonia wrote:This screams apathy, not cover-up. In my mind, apathy is worse. No one involved truly cared about the boys being abused. An attempt at covering it up would, at least, show some admission that what was going on was incredibly heinous. But no one cared. Sad.

I think you may be correct in Paterno's case but not the AD and Shultz case. I'm also not so confident that whatever happened around 1998/99 wasn't all a whitewash well known to the University including Paterno. If that ever gets proven, Joe may be in jail.
Dutra

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 pm

We can bat this thing around from here to doomsday, spout legal cliches and wallow in moral dilemma but it is really very simple. I don't care crap about university chain of command or policy.

Some basic facts seem to be well established.

Penn State had a pedophile coach on staff.

A grad assistant witnessed him sodomizing a ten year old boy. When the GA turned his back instead of interfering in the rape, he became guilt of complicity in a felony and revealed himself as a wuss. This guy is a college graduate and had to ask his daddy what to do???

When GA told Paterno, who did not instantly pick up the phone and call the police, I don't care what the SOP was, that should not cover Paterno's ass. Paterno became an accomplice and is guilty as sin regardless of the legal niceties.

When Paterno eventually reported the crime to the AD/Police/President who took no action, they joined the cover up and should be prosecuted

When Paterno did not follow up immediately, he compounded his guilt.

Good works and senilty are no excuse. If he had the mental capacity to be a head football coach, he was competent to recognize the severity of the situation.

Yet, Paterno's only action was to try to cover his ass.. temporarily.

See. warn't that simple?

Don't cry for good ole JoePa.
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 am

lonewolf wrote:
See. warn't that simple?

Simple? Simply brilliant. I wonder if the Paterno believers would feel differently if it was their son in the shower. I am going with 60% cover up and 40 % apathy.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am

lonewolf wrote:A grad assistant witnessed him sodomizing a ten year old boy. When the GA turned his back instead of interfering in the rape, he became guilt of complicity in a felony and revealed himself as a wuss. This guy is a college graduate and had to ask his daddy what to do???

I think he did stop the rape at that point and running in would likely have traumatized the kid more, not less. Since he was a GA, he was not an employee in the same sense, rather he was someone that had seen his former coach, who he rather immediately reported it in detail to the biggest guy in Penn State and his boss, Paterno. He then reported it to both the AD and the VP, who is in charge of the campus police.

I am willing to wait on McQueary because there is more to find out there; the others will have details that matter, but I early on predicted both that Paterno would be gone and that I thought he could be gone almost immediately, although it took a few days.
26mi235

Postby kevinsdad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:52 am

I am going with 60% cover up and 40 % apathy.

I think that's being too generous. I've yet to see much mention of the fact that in March 2002 Paterno was coming off two losing seasons in a row and had come under considerable pressure to step down. He had to know that he was gone for sure if anyone found out about Sandusky, and it's entirely fair to infer that this knowledge influenced how he [mis]handled the matter.
kevinsdad

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 am

26mi235 wrote:
lonewolf wrote:A grad assistant witnessed him sodomizing a ten year old boy. When the GA turned his back instead of interfering in the rape, he became guilt of complicity in a felony and revealed himself as a wuss. This guy is a college graduate and had to ask his daddy what to do???

I think he did stop the rape at that point and running in would likely have traumatized the kid more, not less. Since he was a GA, he was not an employee in the same sense, rather he was someone that had seen his former coach, who he rather immediately reported it in detail to the biggest guy in Penn State and his boss, Paterno. He then reported it to both the AD and the VP, who is in charge of the campus police.

I am willing to wait on McQueary because there is more to find out there; the others will have details that matter, but I early on predicted both that Paterno would be gone and that I thought he could be gone almost immediately, although it took a few days.

It is an odd system that does NOT require an indivdual, who is a eyewitness to a crime, to report it to the police! What if he saw a murder? Why would the rape of a 10 year old be treated differently then murder? It makes no sense to me whatsoever!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby jeremyp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:52 am

lonewolf wrote:We can bat this thing around from here to doomsday, spout legal cliches and wallow in moral dilemma but it is really very simple. I don't care crap about university chain of command or policy.

Some basic facts seem to be well established.

Penn State had a pedophile coach on staff.

A grad assistant witnessed him sodomizing a ten year old boy. When the GA turned his back instead of interfering in the rape, he became guilt of complicity in a felony and revealed himself as a wuss. This guy is a college graduate and had to ask his daddy what to do???

When GA told Paterno, who did not instantly pick up the phone and call the police, I don't care what the SOP was, that should not cover Paterno's ass. Paterno became an accomplice and is guilty as sin regardless of the legal niceties.

When Paterno eventually reported the crime to the AD/Police/President who took no action, they joined the cover up and should be prosecuted

When Paterno did not follow up immediately, he compounded his guilt.

Good works and senilty are no excuse. If he had the mental capacity to be a head football coach, he was competent to recognize the severity of the situation.

Yet, Paterno's only action was to try to cover his ass.. temporarily.

See. warn't that simple?

Don't cry for good ole JoePa.

That pretty well sums it up for me. Now the University should donate all this seasons and next seasons gates to the victims. JoePa should also donate this years salary, and maybe back to 2002.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 am

Hall of shame.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/fa ... 6#photo=12

Hey T&F gets a mention. :(
jeremyp

PreviousNext