"Breaking Bad" starting to putrify?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

"Breaking Bad" starting to putrify?

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 am

Up until now I have loved this dark comedy from X-files guy Vince Gilligan. I have long wondered where he could continue to take this trip into Dante's inferno. Afterthe first 2 epsiodes of the new season I'm beginning to think it's gotten so dark and depressing that it's like watching an addict shoot up endlessly. Even Skyler isn't worth watching any more! If the point is: "these are the consequences," then I've got the point. Let's move on or let's end it.
jeremyp

Re: "Breaking Bad" starting to putrify?

Postby guru » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm

To answer your question: A resounding no. Great stuff the last few weeks
guru

Postby gh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Tonite's episode was absolutely stunning. Watching so many of the characters unraveling in their own way is a stunning bit of writing/filmmaking.

Last week's Scarface-alluding (complete with Steven Bauer!) was perhaps a bit over the top, but nonetheless integral to the ongoing dialogue.

I'm loving it.
gh

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Gus is currently the best character on TV.
The only problem with the show is that may be too intense for the audience.
Best show on the tube at the moment, by far.
jhc68

Postby guru » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Good interview with Aaron Paul(Jesse) on "Fresh Air" last week. Includes links to several other Breaking Bad interviews.

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/19/140040966 ... t-dead-yet
guru

Postby jeremyp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah I'm back too. Once they started developing the Mexican cartel angle-and boy have they opened a can of diablos there-and giving Skyler a goal other than run a car wash (hopefully to put out a hit on her ex boss/lover), and finally getting Jesse off the floor.

I read they almost canned it for another season but will do a final truncated one next year. Apparently the Mad Men producer played hard ball and got so much money the other shows are in trouble. At least that what Sutter said.

And I still can't stand the Cranston character! Whine, whine, whine.
jeremyp

Postby guru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:31 am

Excellent review of last night's terrific season finale.

http://www.tv.com/news/breaking-bad-end ... off-26886/
guru

Postby jeremyp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 am

The finale was exceptional. It was the best "YES" moment of the season, followed by a wonderfully cryptic close up to leave us hanging. I actually liked Wilfred again, until that ending that is.

I didn't like the 1st 2 epsiodes but then it got it's groove back and it's been fantastic again. I will miss Gus, though, and Errrr have the boys forgotten about bad Mike? I have read that next year it will be a short season, but knowing Gilligan he will leave us with many loose ends to ponder over.

Now for "The Walking Dead." :D
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 am

Another good piece with Q/A's with Gilligan, Esposito, and Cranston.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television ... 50682514/1
jeremyp

Postby guru » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:46 am

jeremyp wrote: I will miss Gus, though

Not so fast. The door was left cracked a bit, if you listen carefully to the radio news report Walter heard in the car(bold, caps mine).

"As many as three people MAY have been killed"

I have read that next year it will be a short season, but knowing Gilligan he will leave us with many loose ends to ponder over.

Actually longer - 16 episodes total - but in two 8 episode miniseasons, first supposedly to start in the spring.
guru

Postby jeremyp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Not so fast. The door was left cracked a bit, if you listen carefully to the radio news report Walter heard in the car(bold, caps mine).

"As many as three people MAY have been killed"

Only if he shows up on "The Walking Dead." He did say in an interview that Gilligan loves flash backs.

Actually longer - 16 episodes total - but in two 8 episode miniseasons, first supposedly to start in the spring.
[/quote] Great!
jeremyp

Postby gh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:47 pm

being on the road, I had to wait a couple of days to watch (and to respond to seeing this thread get bumped a few times)..... DID NOT DISSAPOINT! wow-wow-wow!

where does the missing Mike fit into all of this? (or is he over stirring the shit on a new Damages?)

(or is he dead in one/both of the shows? sometimes easy to lose track!)
gh

Postby jeremyp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:22 am

gh wrote:being on the road, I had to wait a couple of days to watch (and to respond to seeing this thread get bumped a few times)..... DID NOT DISSAPOINT! wow-wow-wow!

where does the missing Mike fit into all of this? (or is he over stirring the shit on a new Damages?)

(or is he dead in one/both of the shows? sometimes easy to lose track!)

Mike is still in Mexico partaking in their health care. I'm assuming he will put 2 and 2 together. Had it just been Gus's death he would have been in the dark, but the boys destroying the lab will lead Mike to them.
jeremyp

Postby jhc68 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Whatever follows, Gus walking out the door and straightning his tie is one of the great scenes in TV history.
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Whatever follows, Gus walking out the door and straightning his tie is one of the great scenes in TV history.

The whole set up for this was worth the price of admission. Walter's ruse for Gus; The mute cartel boss spelling out his message to the DEA; Walter's bomb sputtering, again and again; and Gus walking out seemingly intact (while I was muttering: "oh no, oh no"). I read that it took 5 hours to make up Gus's face, and I thought it was CGI!
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:01 pm

jhc68 wrote:Whatever follows, Gus walking out the door and straightning his tie is one of the great scenes in TV history.

The whole set up for this was worth the price of admission. Walter's ruse for Gus; The mute cartel boss spelling out his message to the DEA; Walter's bomb sputtering, again and again; and Gus walking out seemingly intact (while I was muttering: "oh no, oh no"). I read that it took 5 hours to make up Gus's face, and I thought it was CGI!
jeremyp

Postby gh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

jhc68 wrote:Gus is currently the best character on TV.....

Things you never would have guessed: Gus played by Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito, who was born in... Copenhagen!
gh