UK's Beijing medal hopes •

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's London Olympics medal contenders

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 am

Cycling is an odd 'bird', in two ways. First, it was 'amateur' until 1996 and is still a sport where Olympic Medals are not so important (except track). Second, while track makes up only a small portion of cycling, it makes up a disproportionate share of medals; Mountain biking is a bit the same.

Jazz, and comments?
26mi235

Postby bushop » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am

UK sporting bodies indulge in athletics target practice
By Simon Hart Olympics Last updated: April 12th, 2011
"The much-publicised 2012 “target” of 10 British track and field medals set by UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos 18 months ago was not, apparently, a target at all."
Last edited by bushop on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop

Re: UK's London Olympics medal contenders [?]

Postby PCSExponent » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 am

mump boy wrote:So should team medals in cycling not count, maybe the 8 in rowing is only worth 12.5% or individual rowers. Maybe no team sports should be played at all :?

You seem to be referring to things I know very little about - I know that there are things that people call "sports" and are not track & field, but I know very little about those. Anyway, I don't really care about medal tables (by nations), but when discussing these tables people tend to lump relay and individual medals together, and that just doesn't make sense. Again, my comment was about medal tables in T&F.
PCSExponent

Postby mump boy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:29 pm

PCSExponent wrote:
mump boy wrote:So should team medals in cycling not count, maybe the 8 in rowing is only worth 12.5% or individual rowers. Maybe no team sports should be played at all :?

You seem to be referring to things I know very little about - I know that there are things that people call "sports" and are not track & field, but I know very little about those. Anyway, I don't really care about medal tables (by nations), but when discussing these tables people tend to lump relay and individual medals together, and that just doesn't make sense. Again, my comment was about medal tables in T&F.

if you don't care about medal tables (by nation) why are you commenting in this thread :?
mump boy

Postby PCSExponent » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 pm

mump boy wrote:if you don't care about medal tables (by nation) why are you commenting in this thread :?

I am interested in other people's take on quite a few of the athletes mentioned. Whether said athletes end up switching nationalities or whether GBR get to put an X or Y under their total tally in the games makes no difference to me.
PCSExponent

Postby 72 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 pm

I would have thought that the Medal Tables which are rolled out throughout the world at most important sporting events, but especially at each OG, are merely a sympton of either a rather fatheaded Nationalism, so beloved of certain people and above all the frigging Media; telling us not too much about a countries sporting prowess, anyway. The USA tops the OG Table almost invariably acc to the American Media who twisted the accepted ranking( Golds first and then Medal totals) at Beijing to suit their need to tell their folks" we are the best" :evil:

A country of 320 Million people ought to do better than a country such as Australia with a population of 17 million. China and the USA are not much at International Sport per head of population.??

All we grasp from the OG Medal Table is that specified countries are rather good at one or more specific sports, which they support with a lot of cash apart from any other reason.

A sign of national paranoia is the silly but fascinating Virtual Medal Table in the London Times at monthly intervals telling all those who may or may not be interested what the Medal Table Ranking will be on August 13 ,2012.!!!

Postby bushop » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Another one for the British medal contenders list?
Cox to switch allegiance from Image to Image

Coach Dick criticizes current British coaching model leading up to the Games:
Frank Dick’s Vision for Coaching
bushop

Postby bushop » Wed May 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Charles van Commenee steps up demands on British athletes in countdown to Games
“As a team, it’s a year when you must try to get more athletes in the medal zone,” he said. “What I’m looking for is more athletes who could come close to medals — whether they finish fourth or fifth or whatever. I want them to almost touch the rostrum at world level..."
bushop

Postby Daisy » Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm

bushop wrote:Charles van Commenee steps up demands on British athletes in countdown to Games

It seems likely that they are working as hard as they can already. Does he really think this kind of bluster is going to make them any better? If anything, they'll over train and end up injured.
Daisy

Postby mojo » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 pm

bushop wrote:Another one for the British medal contenders list?
Cox to switch allegiance from Image to Image

Coach Dick criticizes current British coaching model leading up to the Games:
Frank Dick’s Vision for Coaching

THANK YOU for posting the link to Frank Dick's interview! I have read a few other articles by him and always agree with him. He is spot on about the disruption, really the severance, of the athlete -coach relationship that these highly paid coaches are doing.
Sounds like what is happening here in Canada is what the Brits are experiencing. Club level coaches (who are often just as educated and knowledgeable) as the paid coahces feel what is the point? They work their way up along with their athletes only to be bumped out of the picture...it leads to very low spirits in the rank and file, weakens the club system and many volunteers just walk away from the sport. Must find a way to write Mr. Dick and congratulate him for getting what is going on.
mojo

Postby bushop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 am

Brits have work to do ahead of Games
"The UK Athletics head coach, Charles van Commenee, admits Britain’s athletes would not be ready if the Olympic Games were held this year..."
Last edited by bushop on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 am

7-sided wrote:-Farah can medal; I don't think he will, but he can - so I'll give him one

Gabs: 06.) Mo Farah (5k | 10k) - outside chance of a medal, but I can't really see anyone breaking Africa.

Have you guys revised your 'priors' at all given the spring of racing from Mo? And which do you think is the better bet (I am think 10,000 where he has a good enough kick there but the 5000 is likely to be faster, and it looks like he can hang on any pace up to about 26:40 (weather, adjusted, of course, but that should be an issue for Daegu but less likely in London). And, he will have even more of a home crowd than he had in Eugene, but he definitely had a home crowd there.
26mi235

Postby John G » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:34 am

26mi235 wrote:
7-sided wrote:-Farah can medal; I don't think he will, but he can - so I'll give him one

Gabs: 06.) Mo Farah (5k | 10k) - outside chance of a medal, but I can't really see anyone breaking Africa.

Have you guys revised your 'priors' at all given the spring of racing from Mo? And which do you think is the better bet (I am think 10,000 where he has a good enough kick there but the 5000 is likely to be faster, and it looks like he can hang on any pace up to about 26:40 (weather, adjusted, of course, but that should be an issue for Daegu but less likely in London). And, he will have even more of a home crowd than he had in Eugene, but he definitely had a home crowd there.

Defo the 10k. Only Bekele, Sihine and Tadese of the currently active athletes have faster PBs than Mo.
John G

Postby 72 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 am

If a week is a long time in politics then 13 months is a very long time for things to happen in Track and Field.

As far as London OG is concerned any comments about GBs likely medal haul by CVC is fairly ill advised, but the talk of 8 or 10 medals in track seems over ambitious to me.

Ennis, Idowu,Greene,Rutherford???,Meadows,Farah I regard as possible medals , but I do not see our Relay teams as medallists unless amazing co ck ups happen by other teams. I picked Rutherford, as a freaky medal is a fair bet so I picked him.

If I was at the bookies I would place a bet on 4 individual medals.

By next July I may be writing something a little different.

Postby IanS_Liv » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Just caught up on this thread. Have I missed an announcement about Andy Baddeley moving to the steeplechase? I agree that he has potential as a 1:46, 3:34 and 13:20 (run in off-season) guy. But I haven't seen anything about him switching events.
IanS_Liv

Postby bushop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 pm

IanS_Liv wrote:Just caught up on this thread. Have I missed an announcement about Andy Baddeley moving to the steeplechase? I agree that he has potential as a 1:46, 3:34 and 13:20 (run in off-season) guy. But I haven't seen anything about him switching events.

I think I found some info about him steepling... I can change it... what to?
bushop

Postby IanS_Liv » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Where did you see that? Otherwise I'd have him down as a 1500m finalist rather than a medal hope.
IanS_Liv

Postby bushop » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:43 am

Coach denies 'Plastic Brits' are using GB to fulfil Olympic dream
"... the headline in one newspaper earlier this week: "Plastic Brits are using Team GB to fulfil their own Olympic dreams." The newspaper added: "Team GB's cheating is more a convenient manipulation of the rules, coming together with our colonial past, to create the option of securing the best of America's cast-offs plus the odd Caribbean ringer."
bushop

Postby bushop » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 am

Van Commenee attacks Idowu for tweeting GB team pull-out
"Asked whether he might still be in charge, Van Commenee, whose contract expires after the London Olympics, said: "Absolutely. It is certainly my intention to hit the target at the Games [a tally of eight medals], and then we can talk about me staying. But certainly it is my ambition. A lot of jobs depend on success or failure in 2012, so hopefully if we do well then everybody can carry on."

No relationship with 'liar' Van Commenee - Phillips Idowu
But the British triple jumper Phillips Idowu says he informed UK Athletics and Van Commenee's staff before informing his followers on the social networking site.

UK Athletics boss Van Commenee criticises Idowu tweet
"These things are done personally, there are certain channels you have to follow," said Charles van Commenee. "I expect somebody with such a profile to follow these procedures."
Last edited by bushop on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop

Postby shivfan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:55 am

bushop wrote:Coach denies 'Plastic Brits' are using GB to fulfil Olympic dream
"... the headline in one newspaper earlier this week: "Plastic Brits are using Team GB to fulfil their own Olympic dreams." The newspaper added: "Team GB's cheating is more a convenient manipulation of the rules, coming together with our colonial past, to create the option of securing the best of America's cast-offs plus the odd Caribbean ringer."

There's Michael Bingham, Tiffany Ofili and Shana Cox from the US, Shara Proctor from Anguilla (but that probably doesn't really count), and according to an interview with CVC, some triple-jumper whose switching allegiances from Jamaica to Britain. I didn't catch the name - was it something like Green? Do you know who it is?
shivfan

Postby mump boy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:12 am

mump boy

Postby bushop » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:38 am

Britain ready to lay down gauntlet to Russia in Stockholm this weekend
"When we travel out we should always try to win it...," Van Commenee remains quietly satisfied about the improvement in his athletes in the run-up to the Olympics... "We are heading in the right direction. We've had quite a few interesting performances already this early season, with Greg Rutherford, Dai Greene, Jenny Meadows, Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis. So it's quite good, but it would be too soon if the Games were played this year. We do need those 14 months to build the team stronger and I know from experience you can do amazing things in 12 months,"
bushop

Re: UK's London Olympic contenders [van Commenee v. Idowu]

Postby shivfan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for that, mumps....

Julian Reid, eh? I must admit, I haven't heard of him.

It's a strange decision for Reid to make, because Britain already have some useful triple and long jumpers. But Jamaica don't have any of significance....

As for the CVC vs Idowu is concerned, I feel it's much ado about nothing. I don't know why CVC is making such a fuss over Idowu's withdrawal from this minor competition. Surely, getting a gold medal at the World Champs is a higher priority? If CVC keeps on this track, calling Idowu a 'clown' for using twitter, he's only going to succeed in upsetting Idowu's preparations for Daegu.
shivfan

Postby mump boy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:36 am

shivfan wrote:Thanks for that, mumps....

Julian Reid, eh? I must admit, I haven't heard of him.

It's a strange decision for Reid to make, because Britain already have some useful triple and long jumpers. But Jamaica don't have any of significance....

As for the CVC vs Idowu is concerned, I feel it's much ado about nothing. I don't know why CVC is making such a fuss over Idowu's withdrawal from this minor competition. Surely, getting a gold medal at the World Champs is a higher priority? If CVC keeps on this track, calling Idowu a 'clown' for using twitter, he's only going to succeed in upsetting Idowu's preparations for Daegu.

couldn't agree more although to be fair CVC didn't make much of a fuss just answered a question put to him by BBC and he wasn't directly talking about Phillips but about the whole culture of Twitter. OF course then Phillips went on radio and said his piece and the BBC spent all afternoon talking about this crap instead of showing action :x :x

They all need to grow up in my opionion
mump boy

Postby bushop » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 am

Van Commenee pledges to resolve bitter Idowu row
"It was not exactly a peace in our time declaration but at the end of the European Team Championships here yesterday Charles van Commenee pledged to bring an end to the Great British Twitter War that has cast an embarrassing shadow over the British squad's time in the Swedish capital..."
bushop

Postby tandfman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

shivfan wrote:Julian Reid, eh? I must admit, I haven't heard of him.

Third in the NCAA triple jump in Des Moines. Second two years ago.
tandfman

Re: UK's London Olympic contenders

Postby bushop » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:49 pm

'Plastic Brits' just one of the headaches for UK head coach
"In addition to a certain public antipathy towards the athletes, UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee has also been criticised for what the Britain's 2010 Sports Writer of the Year Martin Samuel referred to in the Daily Mail on Monday as: "His practice of snapping up fringe athletes from rival nations to run beneath the Team GB banner."
bushop

Postby bushop » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Julian Reid switch reignites allegiance controversy
"It is understood that he may have to wait a while before he can represent Britain at a major championships, but he could compete at smaller international meetings – such as the European Team Championships – as soon as next year. The World Championships in Daegu this year may come too soon, but his eligibility could be finalised before the London 2012 Olympics."
bushop

Postby bushop » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Losing my record to a Plastic Brit has left me devastated
"Angela Thorp is what you might call the collateral damage of Van Commenee’s self-serving recruitment policy: a Yorkshire girl who dedicated her life to athletics, and whose greatest achievement has now been erased by a Plastic Brit passing through our sport for purely selfish reasons."
bushop

Re: UK's London Olympic medal contenders

Postby bushop » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 am

Olympics 2012: How many medals is home cooking worth?
"Which begs the question: just how many more medals can a home country expect when hosting an Olympic Games?
The answer is – unless you’re the United States – quite a few more..."
bushop

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:33 am

bushop wrote:The answer is – unless you’re the United States – quite a few more..."

That's an interesting study. In defense of the United States, it's hard to win more when you are already winning over a 100. One thing I noticed, especially for Spain, is that the gains reach into the following olympiads too.
Last edited by Daisy on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm

bushop wrote:Losing my record to a Plastic Brit has left me devastated
"Angela Thorp is what you might call the collateral damage of Van Commenee’s self-serving recruitment policy: a Yorkshire girl who dedicated her life to athletics, and whose greatest achievement has now been erased by a Plastic Brit passing through our sport for purely selfish reasons."

Ofili-Porter is unlikely to win a medal for Britain, either. At the USA Track and Field Championships last year, four American athletes alone were faster than her. Her best time this year does not put her in the top seven in the world (she is behind six Americans and a Canadian)

Note that only three Americans can run (unless they won the WCs last time), so that would bring her to being behind four runners -- that is, fifth in the world, probably as high as most of Britain's medal hopes. Also, as a young athlete we might expect that she is still improving and will be better over time.

I am not sure about this, but one possible reason that she can compete so soon is because she already has dual citizenship -- hardly a completely 'plastic' Brit. But, I do not know enough about her details, just that a niece and nephew were raised in the UK (actually the Isle of Man) and two nephews and a niece have dual citizenship through their mom (one was actually born in Germany, so he had three choices).
26mi235

Postby bushop » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:16 am

Brits told 'keep your room tidy to win gold'
"Under the five key headings of performance, responsibility, unity, pride and respect, Woodward lays out guidelines such as which he believes will give Team GB the psychological edge against the best the world has to offer next summer.
Those requirements include "keeping your accommodation clean and tidy", "handling Facebook and Tweeting in a responsible fashion" and "out in the public domain (avoid using) any bad language."

Will Britain's lack of home-grown coaching talent limit the sustainability of London 2012's legacy?
"However van Commenee could turn tables and ask whether British sport could actually survive without a little help from abroad, not just on the track and field but in preparing for the Olympics.

For he is just one of over 50 imports whose expertise has become an integral part of the games we play, and how we play them."

Jess is the best
"The track and field star is the World and European heptathlon champion, as well as the world indoor pentathlon champion, and Daley told Sky Sports News HD he had high hopes for the 25-year-old.

"I think at the moment she would be my favourite out of all the people in the athletics team to win gold," said the two-time Olympic champion."
bushop

Postby bushop » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Van Commenee blasts underperformers as Olympic countdown begins
"The head coach of UK Athletics believes they need every one of the 365 days remaining before the opening ceremony to make the necessary improvements if Great Britain are to reach the target of eight medals, including at least one gold.
Van Commenee reckons the British team need at least 15 athletes capable of making the medal podium to hit their target."

The goal is just two more medals than the Aussies?

Six athletics medals the target in London
"By virtue of what he calls "the best core of reliable top-end performers we've ever had", Hollingsworth's claim doesn't seem outlandish even though the four-medal haul at Beijing in 2008 was the best by an Australian Olympic track and field squad in four decades."
bushop

Postby bushop » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Van Commenee attacks Idowu for tweeting GB team pull-out
Saturday, 18 June 2011
"Asked whether he might still be in charge, Van Commenee, whose contract expires after the London Olympics, said: "Absolutely. It is certainly my intention to hit the target at the Games [a tally of eight medals], and then we can talk about me staying. But certainly it is my ambition. A lot of jobs depend on success or failure in 2012, so hopefully if we do well then everybody can carry on."

Saturday, 18 June 2011 17:00 UK
But the British triple jumper Phillips Idowu says he informed UK Athletics and Van Commenee's staff before informing his followers on the social networking site.

Friday, 17 June 2011 19:06 UK
"These things are done personally, there are certain channels you have to follow," said Charles van Commenee. "I expect somebody with such a profile to follow these procedures."

Phillips Idowu wants apology from Charles van Commenee
Thursday, 21 July 2011 18:11 UK
"I haven't spoken to Charles since that incident and I have said that I won't speak to him until he publicly apologises. Until then I don't want anything to do with him."
bushop

Postby mump boy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:31 am

bushop wrote:Van Commenee attacks Idowu for tweeting GB team pull-out
Saturday, 18 June 2011

Saturday, 18 June 2011 17:00 UK

Friday, 17 June 2011 19:06 UK

Phillips Idowu wants apology from Charles van Commenee
Thursday, 21 July 2011 18:11 UK
"I haven't spoken to Charles since that incident and I have said that I won't speak to him until he publicly apologises. Until then I don't want anything to do with him."

GROW UP :roll:
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am

mump boy wrote:GROW UP :roll:

Which one? One is paid to produce, one is paid to manage things. It seems like the one who is supposed to manage things is the one not doing his job.
26mi235

Postby 7-sided » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:08 am

26mi235 wrote:
mump boy wrote:GROW UP :roll:

Which one? One is paid to produce, one is paid to manage things. It seems like the one who is supposed to manage things is the one not doing his job.

Agreed! I would have fired CVC by now. Some of his comments are just unnecessary. He needs to go find more athletes for that depth that he recognizes the UK doesn't have rather than piss off his gold medal prospects.
7-sided

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 am

7-sided wrote:I would have fired CVC by now.

Agreed, many of his comments really grate. He seems to have the approach that pissing people off will make up their game. Possibly this is true but to air the dirty laundry does not seem to be the way to do it.
Daisy

Postby GDAWG » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:43 am

Tiffany Ofili-Porter will not medal in London. She'll probably make it to the finals, but with Kellie Wells, Danielle Carruthers, Dawn Harper, Sally Pearson, Perdita Felicien and the soon to be returning Priscilla Lopes Schliep likely to be in the finals (if all of them make it to the finals or even on their national teams next year, which seems likely) it'll be hard for Ofili-Porter to medal.
GDAWG

PreviousNext