The Invention of "Race" As a Physiological Construct

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: The Invention of "Race" As a Physiological Construct

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:25 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Avante wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
Avante wrote:I read everything you said, my point was that culture has nothing at all to do with this. It's a total/compltete non factor. . . . . .

No Jazz this isn't about culture/want/need, we are talking physical differences as the only factor that matters.

There's no hope for you Avante.

When everything we see/seen tells us that the biggest difference in Asains/blacks/whites is physique.

"Biggest difference" isn't the same thing as "only difference".

Jazz we aren't talking about something marginal/close here. We are talking about something dramatic. We are talking about 99.9 dominance. Do you really believe culture is going to make any kind of big difference? White female sprinters from the USA? Asains running 9.75?

Come on Jazz...sheesh!!!!! Where ever blacks live they dominant sprinting. Where ever Asains live, they don't. Why do you think Kenyans can run as they do? Culture? No Jazz, it's because they are tiny. They have a physique tailor made for long distance running. What full grown American man is 5-4 115 pounds?

Do you think culture would give us great breakaway backs? You can't see that is simply a black thing because of rhythm? Come on man. I know I know it ain't cool to talk like that but it's the truth. I see it, you don't?

You put blacks in any culture/country they are going to rule sprinting. Just the opposite with everyone else.
Avante

Postby Bijan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 pm

When something/anything is as dramatic/absolute as why we never ever see white American female 100m sprinters.

What "color" are Marlies Gohr and Barbel Eckert? American girls didn't have the national sports machine those athletes had.

Secondly, these "Black sprinters descended from West Africans" are not similarly built- if physique, not sociocultural models, is the reason they "dominate" sprints. Mel Pender, Jesse Owens, Steve Williams, Carl Lewis, Hasley Crawford and Usain Bolt are not built alike, and physical types, ectomorph, endomorph, et al, overlap "racial" lines.

NFL RB's who reached great success had varying physiques- Marion Motley, Marcus Allen, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Chuck Muncie, Stephen Jackson, Franco Harris.
Bijan

Postby 7-sided » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:15 pm

lonewolf wrote:
jeremyp wrote:When somebody can seriously explain to me why Kenyans and Ethiopians dominate in the distance track races, and Afro American/Carribean dominate in the sprints then I'll accept that race is just psychological.

Ditto. I don't see it as demeaning or derogatory to make this observation.

People have been explaining, it seems as if you are hell-bent on NOT listening. Kenyans and Ethiopians are as distant genetically as two people of the same "color" can possibly be, but if you were listening then you would know that the most distance will occur WITHIN a race than BETWEEN the races; also, Afro American/Caribbeans dominance seems to fall down on the women's side. Why is that?
7-sided

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 pm

7-sided wrote:Kenyans and Ethiopians are as distant genetically as two people of the same "color" can possibly be

Hyperbole Alert. Yes, there are some cosmetic differences, but being neighboring African countries, they have a lot more in common than say, Norwegians and Turks.
Marlow

Postby 7-sided » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
Bijan wrote:Some are missing my point. If . . .

I'm pretty sure everyone did get that point (too). The sticking point is the reality that some human phenotypes are better suited to a physical activity than others. Rift Valley people are GENERALLY better 'made' for distance running than Samoans. Nigerians are better suited for sprinting than Rift Valleyers. Etc.

Then how do you explain South Africa? It has whites and blacks who have run fast for distances and sprints. And when you say sprinting do you include the 400m because there have been MORE elite level Kenyan 400m runners than Nigerians in the last 20 or so years.
7-sided

Postby 7-sided » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Marlow wrote:
7-sided wrote:Kenyans and Ethiopians are as distant genetically as two people of the same "color" can possibly be

Hyperbole Alert. Yes, there are some cosmetic differences, but being neighboring African countries, they have a lot more in common than say, Norwegians and Turks.

Hyperbole alert? Marlow,you're wrong; this has NOTHING to do with "cosmetic" differences. KEN and ETH are "different" in a host of ways. In fact, ETH can be classified as Caucosoids in a very loose definition.
7-sided

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm

7-sided wrote:ETH can be classified as Caucosoids in a very loose definition.

I bet you DO know more than I on this subject, but that sentence right there throws you in the midst of that 'Race' thread, meaning: you're using meaningless terms.
Marlow

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Bijan wrote:When something/anything is as dramatic/absolute as why we never ever see white American female 100m sprinters.

What "color" are Marlies Gohr and Barbel Eckert? American girls didn't have the national sports machine those athletes had.

Secondly, these "Black sprinters descended from West Africans" are not similarly built- if physique, not sociocultural models, is the reason they "dominate" sprints. Mel Pender, Jesse Owens, Steve Williams, Carl Lewis, Hasley Crawford and Usain Bolt are not built alike, and physical types, ectomorph, endomorph, et al, overlap "racial" lines.

NFL RB's who reached great success had varying physiques- Marion Motley, Marcus Allen, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Chuck Muncie, Stephen Jackson, Franco Harris.

Remember Marlies Gohr/Marita Koch/Barbel Eckert come late August.

Give me the names of great white sprinters no taller than 5-8? Then there's Mel Pender, Ira Murchison, Andre Cason, Buddy Young, Houston McTear,Trindon Holliday, Ivory Crockett. Now give me the names of white world class sprinters 6-2 or taller, like...Steve Williams, Steve Riddick, Tommie Smith, Carl Lewis, Usian Bolt, Mark Witherspoon,Asafa Powell, Francis Obikwelu.

All you are talking about is power backs like....Marion Mottley, Jerome Bettis, Earl Campbell, Steven Jackson, Tank Younger, Cookie Gilchrist, Matt Snell etc and speed backs like....O.J.Simpson, Tony Dorsett, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson etc. Then there's Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton who were a mix of talents. What did everyone mentioned above have in common.......yep....Afro Americans. Now give me the names of those speedy white running backs? Power backs....Larry Czonka, Jim Taylor and John Riggins.

Now...

Notice the size with speed we only see coming from those with roots to western Africa? Bo Jackson...9.5 in high school, Herschel Walker 10.23, Marcus Dupree 9.5 in high school, Curtis Dickey 10.10...all around 220 or more. Then there's the tall with speed like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson. Ever see a white guy run like Devin Hester, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Dante Hall, Nolan "Super Gnat" Smith, Deion Sanders, Rick Upchurch?

Why are there...0...white cornerbacks in the NFL?

What you saw above is all about one group of people having a unique physique tailor made for speed. quickness, power and elusiveness. That's all it is.

Sure there are exceptions. Lance Alworth could run, as could Hugh "The King" McElhenny. But it's rare. While there are tons of speedy Afro American backs and receivers.

We've seen no less than seven sub10.10 100m Afro Americans play in the NFL. What white sprinter entered the NFL with sub10.30 speed.....none!
Avante

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Marlow wrote:

Actually, that is probably not the case. The genetic diversity within Africa is huge, outside Africa, not so much.
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Here are your words Avante:

culture has nothing at all to do with this. It's a total/compltete non factor. . . . . .

this isn't about culture/want/need, we are talking physical differences as the only factor that matters

This is what totally undermines your credibility. Nothing else that you post even warrants consideration after posting this.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Actually, that is probably not the case. The genetic diversity within Africa is huge, outside Africa, not so much.

Then I apologize to 7; I stand corrected. :oops:
Marlow

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Here are your words Avante:

culture has nothing at all to do with this. It's a total/compltete non factor. . . . . .

this isn't about culture/want/need, we are talking physical differences as the only factor that matters

This is what totally undermines your credibility. Nothing else that you post even warrants consideration after posting this.

You always take on some sort of.."I'm the judge"...personna Jazz, what's that about? Believe whatever you like, I don't see culture having anything at all to do with this. Put blacks in China, Iran, Iraq, where ever and we'll see what we are seeing now, they will still dominate sprinting. Put Asains/whites in Texas, Jamaica, Florida, Trinidad and they still won't. So much for culture.

You really do have a control thang..huh?
Avante

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:27 pm

7-sided wrote:...., Afro American/Caribbeans dominance seems to fall down on the women's side. Why is that?

Because women are more easily "enhanced" than men.
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:51 pm

My compadre Jazz is 100% correct. Avante has one note to play and it long ago ceased to be interesting in any way.
kuha

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.
kuha

Postby Avante » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm

kuha wrote:

My compadre Jazz is 100% correct. Avante has one note to play and it long ago ceased to be interesting in any way.

I think it's more a case of don't disagree with a compadre of yours. No he's not correct, if he were then race would be the non factor. Culture would be the deciding factor. You can't have both. Blacks dominate sprinting/speed positions in football/hurdling because of physical characteristics not culture.
Last edited by Avante on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avante

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 pm

kuha wrote:
Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.

Except possibly in lung capacities.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Avante wrote:I think it's more a case of don't disagree with a compadre of yours. No he's correct, if he were then race would be the non factor. Culture would be the deciding factor. You can't have both.

I never said race is a non-factor. It is you who said culture/environment is a non-factor. I believe that race/genetics is the primary factor and culture/environment is the secondary factor. The number of folks of west African descent in the U.S., Jamaica, Trinidad and the Bahamas is approximately 45 million. That's less than one third the population of Nigeria alone. Why hasn't Nigeria won three times as many medals as Black Americans and Black Caribbeans? Why are European basketball players having so much more NBA success than White Americans? Why does the Dominican Republic produce so many more Major League baseball players than Venezuela despite only having one third of Venezuela's population?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:26 pm

jeremyp wrote:
kuha wrote:Yes. Ethiopia and Kenya are very different genetically.

Except possibly in lung capacities.

That probably has more to do with generation after generation after generation being born and raised in the Great Rift Valley, which straddles Kenya and Ethiopia.
jazzcyclist

Previous