Chinese female world records

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: Chinese female world records

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:32 am

kuha wrote:A short track would explain this to me, whether or not it's really possible. Drugs? Perhaps, maybe even probably, but the rest of the world had them too... High testosterone levels? Castrated men? Admittedly, the theories go from plausible to not very..

If it was just drugs, then why hasn't anyone else come anywhere close, especially in the 3000? For actual women, 8:22 seems to be the limit, drugs or not, but the Chinese obliterated it in large numbers and then disappeared.

I think they were all guys.....that or a short track.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

Before we get into the more esoteric voodoo theories, Occam's Razor suggests that the Rasputian force of personality (and training methods) of Coach Ma, together with some powerful 'supplements' (caterpillar soup!), enabled the Chinese women to achieve the unachievable times they did.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:47 am

Marlow wrote:Before we get into the more esoteric voodoo theories, Occam's Razor suggests that the Rasputian force of personality (and training methods) of Coach Ma, together with some powerful 'supplements' (caterpillar soup!), enabled the Chinese women to achieve the unachievable times they did.

I was applying Occam's Razor, and Old Ock says they were guys....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 am

Conor Dary wrote:I was applying Occam's Razor, and Old Ock says they were guys....

THIS is a guy??!!

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_at ... 8_GH_R.jpg
Marlow

Postby mump boy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 am

Conor Dary wrote:
I think they were all guys......

Master Po writes one of the most intelligent, well thought out, elightening, long :D posts i have ever read and this is your juvenile response ?

Classy

FWIW i think MP makes some very valid points and i don't believe 29.29 in particular is a time that is unapproachable to modern athletes at all but 8.06 is ridiculous and the depth of 1500 times is also very hard to take.

I wonder what your thoughts are on the chinese swimmers of the same period who broke every record in sight while looking like linebackers ? and also why, if indeed cultural influences had suchh a bit effect on these performances we have seen nothing even remotely approaching them since
mump boy

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:15 am

kuha wrote: -it wasn't simply the 29:31 time that was amazing, but the fact that the last half was 14:26, and the last 3000 in 8:17--both way under the then-current WRs. By this measure, the 29:31 was probably easily "worth" 29:15, no? And for the race as a whole, best ever marks for place: 1-13.

-2 days later, 10 Sept. saw the 1500 heats, in which Qu ran 3:59.38; Wang ran 4:01.55; and the slowest qualifier, in 12th, was 4:02.44 (!).

-the next day, 11 Sept, saw the 3:50.46 WR, with Wang also under the old record; best ever marks for place: 1-2, 7-9

-the next day, 12 Sept, saw the 3000 heats; in the first the top two broke the standing WR (8:22.06, 8:22.44); in the second, Wang ran 8:12, followed by two more under 8:20 (best ever marks for place: 1-3).

-the next day, 13 Sept, saw the 3000 final, with an 8:06 winning time, Qu at 8:12, and 3 more under the original WR (best ever marks for place: 1-5).

How many "the next day"s can we really stomach here? Why the absurdly fast heats? (Not all were needed for actual advancement to the final.) Why the mass of no-name athletes destroying the previous WRs? (But I fully agree that Wang and Qu were extremely talented.)

There were a total of 14 performances under the previous WRs. There were a total of 8 under 1:59 in the 800 (which I haven't even bothered to insert in the chronology above); 7 under 4:00 in the 1500; 5 under 8:22 at 3000; and 11 under 31:33 in the 10,000.

Nothing in previous history comes remotely close to this deep, sustained, and wholesale slaughter of the record books. And absolutely nothing since has come anywhere close to duplicating it. Nothing comes close in terms of day-after-day astonishing performances from several of these athletes. That week stands, conspicuously, as a historical case study of one, and only one. And as an historian, that makes me very nervous--and very doubtful.

A short track would explain this to me, whether or not it's really possible. Drugs? Perhaps, maybe even probably, but the rest of the world had them too... High testosterone levels? Castrated men? Admittedly, the theories go from plausible to not very...

So it remains a mystery to me. But after all these years, I still do not believe them. They still simply make no sense to me.

I absolutely concur. No such slew of incredible mass performances has ocurred in the last 60 years of Track. Unless we accept the strange cases of mass hysteria, and hysteria comes from the greek word for uterus......hmmmm?
jeremyp

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am

mump boy wrote:
Master Po writes one of the most intelligent, well thought out, elightening, long :D posts i have ever read and this is your juvenile response ?

Classy

but 8.06 is ridiculous and the depth of 1500 times is also very hard to take.

I wonder what your thoughts are on the chinese swimmers of the same period who broke every record in sight while looking like linebackers ? and also why, if indeed cultural influences had suchh a bit effect on these performances we have seen nothing even remotely approaching them since

You are welcome. By the way, what is your point? You seem to be agreeing with what I said. The 3000 times are ridiculous...
Conor Dary

Postby bman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm

My problems with Master Po's legendary post:

1. Over estimation of the "El G-Ngeny effect". Its simply not that extreme. National class runners don't just get "pulled along" to world records (records that are strong anyway, judging by their resilience, particularly in the 1500).

2. The importance of Ma Junren. We know some of his athletes tested positive before Sydney, and I also heard he had someone that was found to have used steroids in like '94 who was ostracized from the camp.

3. Influx of East German scientists into China in the early 90s. Is this true? If so, these were highly skilled people who would naturally cause a dramatic increase in performances in a new athletics country like China (with drugs obviously).

4. The "girls don't like PEDs" theory. I have never liked how people throw this idea around, that somehow no girl would want to use steroids because it could compromise what is supposedly more important to a female, her feminine body. For females who are elite athletes, I really don't think there is any evidence or validity to this.
bman

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I was applying Occam's Razor, and Old Ock says they were guys....

THIS is a guy??!!

Yes, there was an exception or two. But look in the Track and Field News from some of those races and my reaction was, these are women?
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:56 pm

mump boy wrote:.... the depth of 1500 times is also very hard to take. ...

This is the same kind of sniff test that Flojo's 10.49 flunked. There are always going to be super-outliers (think Beamonesque), but when "everybody" in the race shows a similar improvement—and can never replicate it—then you start looking for something other than a level playing field.
gh

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm

mump boy wrote:FWIW i think MP makes some very valid points and i don't believe 29.29 in particular is a time that is unapproachable to modern athletes

Why do you--and so many others--insist on being misleadingly selective in analyzing this data? For the millionth time, it wasn't simply that Wang did 29:31, even though no one has come close to that time in the last 14 years. Its that the 29:31 was done with 15:05 / 14:26 splits (last 3000 in 8:17), with both of those last two times WAY under the standing WRs. On what planet is that possible--in either 1993 or 2011? Seriously--please name the planet.

And, yes, of course 8:06 was ridiculous, just as 8:12 in a qualifying heat was ridiculous. And just as 14 performances under the previous WRs in a week by one group of athletes was ridiculous. That's a lot of ridiculouses....

At the time, many smart folks said that the records were weak and ripe for revision. Nearly 18 subsequent years of history have shown, as clearly as anything can show it, that that view was false.

I still go with the short track theory and await anyone that can actually prove it wrong.
Last edited by kuha on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kuha

Postby TN1965 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm

What were the winning times of 800m and under in that 1993 National Meet?

And what were the men's winning times?

If the track was short, wouldn't that have affected every one (and not just women's 1500-10000)?
TN1965

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

TN1965 wrote:What were the winning times of 800m and under in that 1993 National Meet?

If the track was short, wouldn't that have affected every one (and not just women's 1500-10000)?

If the track was short, then of course, yes, it would have affected everyone. Naturally.

The 800 went in 1:55.54, with--as stated above--8 under 1:59.

The winning man was 1:49.27, but so what? The men were relatively bad--exactly how bad, we don't know, and don't honestly care.

What difference would it make if the track was, say, 5m short per lap? That's 10m in an 800, just shy of 19m in the 1500 and 37.5m in a 3000. Or, at 7.5m shy per lap, you have 15m in an 800, ca. 27m in the 1500, and ca. 50m at 3000.

How good was Wang? Pretty damn good, I'm sure--but I'd guess roughly 8:20 good, not 8:06 good. If that guess is right, we can then make further guesses at how short the track MIGHT have been. But can any of this be "proven" now? Probably not. And the bottom line remains: what better answer is there?
kuha

Postby Pentathlete 2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Great post Master Po(ster)!

Great thread too!

Bulgaria, with a population of less than 10 million, became a world beater in weightlifting, by (in-part) identifying talent and working the heck out of them. The 'survivors' of the multiple workouts per day, lifting close to maximum frequently, program became medalists.

I've thought if Bulgaria with 10mil can do this, what can China with 1.3bil do?
Pentathlete 2

Postby gh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Is that the same Bulgaria which had its entire team banned from Beijing for systematic steroid abuses?
gh

Postby bambam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Pentathlete 2 wrote:Great post Master Po(ster)!

Great thread too!

Bulgaria, with a population of less than 10 million, became a world beater in weightlifting, by (in-part) identifying talent and working the heck out of them. The 'survivors' of the multiple workouts per day, lifting close to maximum frequently, program became medalists.

Is this a serious post? As E Garry pointed out, Bulgaria became the top weightlifting nation pharmaceutically.
bambam

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Marlow wrote:

THIS is a guy??!!

Yes, there was an exception or two. But look in the Track and Field News from some of those races and my reaction was, these are women?

But Wang Junxia was THE star of stars!! If she's a woman (and she is), then the rest, who were not as spectacular as she, were too.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Pentathlete 2 wrote:

NIce try, but how come with all those people they can't come up with any decent male runners?
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:49 pm

bingo! I won't get into any specifics (because even free-speech weekend prohibits it), but as a generalized statement, if any nation has great women's success without a concomitant rise on the men's side, well, you know.....

(and I don't believe--at least in a track sense--there has ever been a nation that has had stunning men's success and nothing on the women's side)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

kuha wrote:
TN1965 wrote:What were the winning times of 800m and under in that 1993 National Meet?

If the track was short, then of course, yes, it would have affected everyone. Naturally.

The 800 went in 1:55.54, with--as stated above--8 under 1:59.

The winning man was 1:49.27, but so what? The men were relatively bad--exactly how bad, we don't know, and don't honestly care.

What difference would it make if the track was, say, 5m short per lap? That's 10m in an 800, just shy of 19m in the 1500 and 37.5m in a 3000. Or, at 7.5m shy per lap, you have 15m in an 800, ca. 27m in the 1500, and ca. 50m at 3000.

How good was Wang? Pretty damn good, I'm sure--but I'd guess roughly 8:20 good, not 8:06 good. If that guess is right, we can then make further guesses at how short the track MIGHT have been. But can any of this be "proven" now? Probably not. And the bottom line remains: what better answer is there?

That is good. I like this theory.

Unfortunately, thinking more about it, it doesn't explain why there are no fast men times. I mean was this a female only track or meet?
Last edited by Conor Dary on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Postby bman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:21 pm

What ever happened to good old fashioned lying about times? Who was administering this meet? Why couldn't they have just knocked some time off in the back room without anyone knowing?

I personally would like to believe that they were drug assisted but otherwise legit. I hold the view that there was in fact some secrets Coach Ma had in his camp (besides drugs). As a coach I have come to think we are missing huge amounts of information about what goes into athletes preforming well.
bman

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:49 pm

bman wrote:What ever happened to good old fashioned lying about times? Who was administering this meet? Why couldn't they have just knocked some time off in the back room without anyone knowing?

I personally would like to believe that they were drug assisted but otherwise legit.

Yes, lying could be an answer, but why would the men be left out?

As for drugs, why would they be so effective for the Chinese, but not for anyone else? It is not like no one else has tried.
Conor Dary

Postby bman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Yes, lying could be an answer, but why would the men be left out?

Perhaps because it was known the men could not compete at the World championships in Stuttgart.

As for drugs, why would they be so effective for the Chinese, but not for anyone else? It is not like no one else has tried.

There's only one Ma Junren.
bman

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:56 pm

bman wrote:

Thank god for that.
Conor Dary

Postby bman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
bman wrote:

Thank god for that.

I think a lot of his athletes left after 93 which could be another factor here to consider.
bman

Postby TN1965 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:38 pm

bman wrote:What ever happened to good old fashioned lying about times?

My initial reaction to the negative split in 10000m was "they must have miscounted the laps and felt too embarassed to admit it. So they 'made up' those spilts to make it look like they actually ran 25 laps." And that record looked more like a time for 9600m.
TN1965

Postby AS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I seem to recall there being video footage of the meet... in which case the miscounted lap and made-up-time conspiracies would be easily disproved...
AS

Postby Powell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 am

gh wrote:(and I don't believe--at least in a track sense--there has ever been a nation that has had stunning men's success and nothing on the women's side)

Sweden was one - they were a major force in certain periods (especially in the first few years after WW2), but had no success on the women's side pretty much right until the 1980s.

Of course things changed for them in the last 20 years, and they've now had a good few major female stars.
Powell

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 am

AS wrote:I seem to recall there being video footage of the meet... in which case the miscounted lap and made-up-time conspiracies would be easily disproved...

Let's see it. It SHOULD exist, but does it?
kuha

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:49 am

Powell wrote:
gh wrote:(and I don't believe--at least in a track sense--there has ever been a nation that has had stunning men's success and nothing on the women's side)

Sweden was one - they were a major force in certain periods (especially in the first few years after WW2), but had no success on the women's side pretty much right until the 1980s.

Of course things changed for them in the last 20 years, and they've now had a good few major female stars.

I'm speaking of the era since male hormones became available to women.
gh

Postby catson52 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 am

Not central to the discussion perhaps, but the El G-Ngeny effect should not be totally discounted. What was Ngeny's best time in a non-El G 1500/mile race? Merv Lincoln was pulled to 3:55.9 behind Elliott at Dublin, what was his best effort without Herb in the race? Look at Graham Crouch's time in Christchurch in 1974, pulled along by Bayi. All these athletes, "latched on" to the leader, and produced superb results. This is not to say they were without talent.
catson52

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:02 am

kuha wrote:
AS wrote:I seem to recall there being video footage of the meet... in which case the miscounted lap and made-up-time conspiracies would be easily disproved...

Let's see it. It SHOULD exist, but does it?

I'm pretty sure I recall a Japanese TV network running some of the races in their entirety.
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 am

All I'm saying is: let's see this footage and at least attempt to analyze it. I've never seen it and find it interesting that no seems able to actually produce it.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 am

kuha wrote:All I'm saying is: let's see this footage and at least attempt to analyze it. I've never seen it and find it interesting that no seems able to actually produce it.

Yes, I too would like to see this footage. To count laps and also to see if the folks who ran outside China are in the race.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:26 am

catson52 wrote:Not central to the discussion perhaps, but the El G-Ngeny effect should not be totally discounted. What was Ngeny's best time in a non-El G 1500/mile race? Merv Lincoln was pulled to 3:55.9 behind Elliott at Dublin, what was his best effort without Herb in the race? Look at Graham Crouch's time in Christchurch in 1974, pulled along by Bayi. All these athletes, "latched on" to the leader, and produced superb results. This is not to say they were without talent.

A 16 m.p.h. draft can defintely make a difference in races like this.
jazzcyclist

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 am

catson52 wrote:Not central to the discussion perhaps, but the El G-Ngeny effect should not be totally discounted. What was Ngeny's best time in a non-El G 1500/mile race? Merv Lincoln was pulled to 3:55.9 behind Elliott at Dublin, what was his best effort without Herb in the race? Look at Graham Crouch's time in Christchurch in 1974, pulled along by Bayi. All these athletes, "latched on" to the leader, and produced superb results. This is not to say they were without talent.

Yes, BUT, we're talking about two pretty clearly separate things in terms of 1993:
a) individuals who achieved massive lifetime bests; and
b) a number of other athletes who achieved massive lifetime bests on consecutive days in multiple events.

What could Graham Crouch have done the day after the Christchurch race? And the day after that? And the day after that? THAT is the genuinely relevant question.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 am

kuha wrote:

Yes, BUT, we're talking about two pretty clearly separate things in terms of 1993:
a) individuals who achieved massive lifetime bests; and
b) a number of other athletes who achieved massive lifetime bests on consecutive days in multiple events.

What could Graham Crouch have done the day after the Christchurch race? And the day after that? And the day after that? THAT is the genuinely relevant question.

Right. The equivalent would have been a 1500 in about 3:20 and the rest of the field under 3:30 and that back in 1974. Ridiculous.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 am

Conor Dary wrote:
kuha wrote:All I'm saying is: let's see this footage and at least attempt to analyze it. I've never seen it and find it interesting that no seems able to actually produce it.

Yes, I too would like to see this footage. To count laps and also to see if the folks who ran outside China are in the race.

I'm 99% certain that footage was well analyzed at the time, since that was the first reaction.
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 am

I invite anyone who has done so to contribute here, to point out any published commentary on the matter, or to make that original footage more readily available. Inquiring Minds Want to Know.
kuha

Postby Friar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Certainly an interesting time. And maybe the best edition (De.'93) of T&FN ever. It was really unclear what China was capable of and to what lengths they were willing to go?
Friar

Previous