Bachman/ Palin

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Bachman/ Palin

Postby Helen S » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:48 am

Does anyone think either of these has any chance whatsoever of getting a nomination let alone winning the election? I find their playing pretty loose with factual information really disappointing, to the point I cannot understand anyone wanting to vote for either. They are rather entertaining though, especially at the hands of intelligent comedians and their staff.
Helen S

Re: Bachman/ Palin

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 am

How about the two of them on the same ticket, or maybe Ann Coulter? Talk about a Dream Team! (for Jon Stewart, at least)
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 am

Marlow wrote:How about the two of them on the same ticket, or maybe Ann Coulter? Talk about a Dream Team! (for Jon Stewart, at least)

Too good to be true.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:06 am

There are a few difference betwwen the two.

1) Bachmann isn't as thin-skinned as Palin and has no problem doing interviews with folks who she knows will be tough on her. Palin does interviews exclusively with her Amen crowd and avoids Meet the Press like the bubonic plague.
    2) Bachmann isn't a mean-spirited as Palin.
    3) While both are somewhat ignorant, Bachmann doesn't wear her ignorance like a beauty pageant tiara the way Palin does.
    4) Bachmann is less interested in being a celebrity than Palin is, and more interested pursuing her right-wing, Evangelical Christian political agenda.
    5) When asked the softball question "what do you read?", Bachmann knocked it out of park while Palin got called out looking at the third strike right over the plate.
jazzcyclist

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 am

I could better evaluate my choice only if I could see them both completely (oops, can't say it ! )

Putting that aside the prior poster reflected my views of both of them 100 % The lesser of 2 evils IMO. I would not dream of voting for either one of them, not even for County Dog Catcher.
dukehjsteve

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:37 pm

I would absolutely love for either one of them to get the nomination.

it would be hilarious!!! :lol:
Flumpy

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 pm

At her latest appearance in Iowa, MB mistook John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy to my great enjoyment.
Pego

Postby JRM » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Pego wrote:At her latest appearance in Iowa, MB mistook John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy to my great enjoyment.

She also made a recent gaffe about John Quincy Adams' role as a Founding Father (he was 8 at the time) who worked tirelessly to end slavery (he died 15 years prior to the Emancipation Proclamation).

Ardent supporters and/or embarrassed staffers fervently tried to modify the JQA's Wikipedia entry to reflect her revisionist (and laughingly incorrect) historical account.

With winners like these....
JRM

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Sarah Palin is a celebrity politico, like Trump. The majority of Americans have seen through to her vapidness. Bachmann is more disciplined and ideologically based (Palin knows the conservative talking points but hasn't thought them through enough to argue them), but she is not a broad thinker. She's got the conservative points down pat. Morality she can do. Outrage she's good at. Fear-mongering, brilliant. Both of these women show no grasp of the big picture. Palin skipped through the right wing manual while Bachmann reads nothing else.

But I'd love to see one of them nominated! However the American people are too savvy to be fooled by them.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 pm

jeremyp wrote:However the American people are too savvy to be fooled by them.

Aha, I KNEW Fox News was run by unAmerican outside agitators!!!
Marlow

Postby jhc68 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm all in with jeremyp... Palin is a celebrity politico. She absolutely does not want to be POTUS, she did not even want to be governor of Alaska. Her most insightful moment was when she said she could serve the country better by resigning the governorship. Palin wants to be famous and rich and have crowds cheer for her during made for TV events, and she's doing a great job of it so far. The more we see of her the less seriously she will be regarded even by the Tea Party fanatics.

Bachman is a scary and dangerous person whose reality shifts moment by moment. For years she was a tax-attorney for the IRS working hard to scare the be-jesus out of citizens who owed money to the Feds. Now she is stridently anti-taxation for just about everyone. She's another one of those politicians who claims to be divinely inspired... she takes her walking orders from the ultimate authority, God, alone and His instructions trump everything else. She's a woman on a political/religious mission (she either doesn't understand or deliberately ignores the differences between political and religious processes) and in this respect Bachman is a lot like the Taliban. And she has lots of campaign money and scads of loyal followers.
jhc68

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Bachmann has the one thing that Romney will never have and that is authenticity. To paraphrase Dennis Green, "she is who we think she is". The Bible-thumping end-timers thought they had elected one of their own in 2000, but even W let them down. Bachmann, on the other hand, is the real deal and that will help her in the Republican primaries.
jazzcyclist