tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... got those DVRs ready? (24)

Postby jeremyp » Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 am

jhc68 wrote:2) Athletes beating up Jack Bauer? What a ridiculous proposition... remember, we are not talking about some boozed-up actor named Sutherland, no one can prevail against JACK fracking BAUER !!!
Right on! Even after being shot twice in the last 3 hours and having his ambulance crashed into, he manages to beat up on his intended assassin, and almost escape. Game to the last is our Jack.

3) The movie will suck, but I will watch it anyway.
The problem with a movie is that I can't yell at the screen.
jeremyp

Postby gh » Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 am

There's one hell of a movie coming here. Last seen, Jack's slipping off into the canyons of New York City; last seen, Jason Bourne hits the river only a few blocks away. When these two bad boys hook up.....
gh

Postby jeremyp » Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 am

gh wrote:There's one hell of a movie coming here. Last seen, Jack's slipping off into the canyons of New York City; last seen, Jason Bourne hits the river only a few blocks away. When these two bad boys hook up.....

Could be called "JB and JB swap tall tales."???
jeremyp

Postby Daisy » Wed May 26, 2010 8:07 am

I think you could just go with "Hell on Earth"
Daisy

Postby gh » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 am

J2B2?
gh

Postby Daisy » Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 am

JB^2
Daisy

Postby jhc68 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Jack has escaped from NYC and is in California!
A young family friend was in a pub here in Santa Barbara night before last and found himself next to Jack himself. Nice guy, he reported... they conversed for a few minutes and then a whole gaggle of women surrounded Jack. They seemed to think he was some guy named Sutherland.
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm

jhc68 wrote:Jack has escaped from NYC and is in California!
A young family friend was in a pub here in Santa Barbara night before last and found himself next to Jack himself. Nice guy, he reported... they conversed for a few minutes and then a whole gaggle of women surrounded Jack. They seemed to think he was some guy named Sutherland.

Fiendishly clever disguise, the Russians will never figure it out!
jeremyp

Postby Brian » Fri May 28, 2010 8:37 pm

jhc68 wrote:1) It seemed fitting that the last scene boiled down to focus on Jack and Chloe.

Belatedly getting into it here (high school T&F post-season starting). It appears I may be in the minority, but I thought the ending was excellent and absolutely appropriate. In fact, those final 20 seconds are about as good as it gets for season/series endings. Really.

Consider: the whole thing ends with the three biggest stars of the entire series on camera to take their last bows: Jack, Chloe...and the satelite feed! [Seriously!--have we so quickly forgotten how those satelite-monitored chases and surveilance enthralled us the first few seasons?] Fittingly, Jack and Chloe parted as they spent much of their time together: via monitor screen and audio hookup. Chloe's command to 'shut it down' was, of course, a beautiful metaphor for the series' end. And rather than a freeze frame or fade to black, Jack's image disappeared in a burst of pixels--how beautifully appropriate for a show that revolved in great part around technology! And deliciously, it did so precisely as he turned from Chloe and us and into the future.

As I said, to me at least, the last 20 seconds was as good as these things get.

There have been better overall finales--"Newhart" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" immediately come to mind--but this one was pretty good, in the sense that it tied up the loose ends, kept us guessing right up to the last minute (I had no idea what was going to happen the final 30 minutes; for what more could I ask?), and set the stage for further exploits in a venue wherein the concept probably belonged in the first place.

There were lots of philosophic and symbolic statements, too, right down to Jack quietly excusing the agent charged with eliminating him (after putting up one hell of a fight, of course). ["I'm just doing my job." "I know."] How many times has Jack been in exactly the same situation himself as a soldier? And nicely symbolic that the President Logan character--the epitome of fascist philosophy--took his leave in exactly the same manner as perhaps the greatest symbol of fascism ever, Adolf Hitler.

Along with that, a strong philosophical statement was made--as it has been for the past few seasons, but especially this one--that the United States of America, in foundational principle, stands for something more than the fascist strong-arm tactic of getting whatever we want with no regard for the means by which we employ to secure that goal.

In simpler terms of US politics, the extreme right errs in believing the end justifies the means, whereas the extreme left believes too strongly that the means is more important than the end. In reality, both are equally important. In track and field terms, what good is it to cross the finish line first if you cheated to do so? Likewise, what good does it do to concentrate so intently on your running technique it interferes with your form and flow and you run far below your natural ability? When it comes to the modern-day threat of domestic terrorism, the USA faces, and will always face, the tough task of balancing the end and the means. But that balance is exactly what is required for America to succeed and still BE America; once we throw out our core principles of democracy, our country crumbles from within and the terrorists win.

And it is easy to lose our way at times, especially when it is easier in the short term to use force rather than trust in the co-operation of others, to assassinate rather than believe in the principle of justice holding true. [The message of both the President's character and Jack this season.]

But America will always find it's way back to those core principles--again, it has to, in order to be America. Someone once said the promise of America is a concept that we violate every day, but what's important is that the next day, we get up and try again to live up to that promise.

I think the show made a powerful statement about all those things this season. And I liked it. A lot.

As Kasey Kasem used to say, now on with the countdown...
Brian

Postby Marlow » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

The wife and I just watched the last 8 episodes non-stop (thank you DVR for the ability to wipe out commercials)! OMG! :shock:

Jack offing Dana in cold blood reminded me of the infamous Magnum PI episode where he did the same thing - but how does Jack get a pardon for he's done now?! The ends don't always justify the means, y'know, or at least that's what the Prez just learned.

Like tandfman, I lost interest halfway through this season, but I continued to record them, in case the urge to catch up struck, and I'm glad I did, because this last arc was as good as anything that's been on in the last 8 years. Much as I dislike Chloe, it was a good ending, but I half expected Tony Almeda to be resurrected! I'm glad they at least kept KImmie off.

Will I watch a movie? You BETCHA! :D
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm

I don't know if the writers are trying impart a message or espouse a philosopy. I try to ignore the subtle, or not so subtle, intentional, or unintentional, lessons and just ponder how the heck Jack is going to get out of this one.....
I thought the ending was ok, too, especially for continuing the story..
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun May 30, 2010 12:36 pm

lonewolf wrote:I don't know if the writers are trying impart a message or espouse a philosopy.

I think they're just going for the shock and awe of it.
The ohmyfreakingawd/didyoujustseewhathedid?
When he blew Dana away and then disemboweled the sniper and shoved his hand into the guts . . . :shock:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Marlow wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I don't know if the writers are trying impart a message or espouse a philosopy.

I think they're just going for the shock and awe of it.
The ohmyfreakingawd/didyoujustseewhathedid?
When he blew Dana away and then disemboweled the sniper and shoved his hand into the guts . . . :shock:

Yeah, the savage in me loved that. :evil:
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun May 30, 2010 2:48 pm

lonewolf wrote:Yeah, the savage in me loved that. :evil:

I thought that was the Arapaho and Comanches! :wink:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Marlow wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Yeah, the savage in me loved that. :evil:

I thought that was the Arapaho and Comanches! :wink:

Actually just the Comanche.. the peace loving Choctaw/Creek was slightly squeamish.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Random internet findings:

Jack has killed 266 people.

In each hour that he's killed someone, here's his season KPH (kills per hour) stats.

Day 4 – 4.50 KPH
Day 2 – 3.63 KPH
Day 6 - 3.50 KPH
Day 7 - 2.80 KPH
Day 5 - 2.61 KPH
Day 1 – 2.60 KPH
Day 3 – 1.50 KPH

In order to balance this with some lighter content, other Jack Bauer news:

Jack Bauer once stepped into quicksand. The quicksand couldn't escape and nearly drowned.

The city of Los Angeles once named a street after Jack Bauer in gratitude for his saving the city several times. They had to rename it after people kept dying when they tried to cross the street. No one crosses Jack Bauer and lives.

There are two hands that can beat a royal flush. Jack Bauer's right hand and Jack Bauer's left hand.

When someone asked Jack Bauer if he was afraid of James Bond, he replied "What does 'afraid' mean?"

When a convicted terrorist was sentenced to face Jack Bauer, he appealed to have the sentence reduced to death.

Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer see the glass as a deadly weapon.

Jack Bauer never retreats, he just attacks in the opposite direction.

There are three leading causes of death among terrorists. The first two are Jack Bauer, and the third one is heart attack from hearing Jack Bauer is coming for them.

When bad things happen to good people, its probably fate. When bad things happen to bad people, it’s probably Jack Bauer.

Once, someone tried to tell Jack Bauer a "knock knock" joke. Jack Bauer found out who was there, who they worked for, and where the goddamned bomb was.

Withholding information from Jack Bauer is now classified as a suicide attempt.

Professor Charles Xavier from X-Men once tried to read Jack Bauer's mind. Now he's sitting in a wheel chair.

Jack Bauer definitely loves his daughter; he wouldn't let anyone else who made that many stupid decisions live.

Passed out, surrounded by terrorists and nerve gas, and handcuffed to a table leg, Jack Bauer laughed to himself and said, "I have them right where I want them."

Jack Bauer broke into the Russian Consulate and got captured because he thought it would be fun to compare Russian prisons with Chinese prisons.

If everyone on "24" followed Jack Bauer's instructions, it would be called "12".

If Jack Bauer was president, he would protect the secret service.

Jack Bauer once acted as judge, jury, and executioner; but to save time he now just acts as executioner.

Jack Bauer can torture you into giving up information you do not possess.

On a high school math test, Jack Bauer put down "Violence" as every one of the answers. He got an A+ on the test because Jack Bauer solves all his problems with Violence.

Jack Bauer quit for just five minutes, and a nuclear bomb went off.

Jack Bauer always tests positive for steroids. Not that he uses steroids. It's because steroids are made from Jack Bauer.

Jack Bauer signs his autograph with bullets. So don't ask him to sign any part of your body.

Jack Bauers calender goes from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Jack Bauer.

The 2007 budget for the US Military covers Jack Bauer, two pistols and four billion rounds of ammunition.

When Jack Bauer ran out of ammo, he caught 3 bullets in his chest and used them to reload.

Jack Bauer is the only human in the world with the ability to make Chloe O'Brien drop the personality disorder and patch him through.

Jack Bauer was nominated for an Emmy for playing Kiefer Sutherland.

There have been no terrorist attacks in United States since Jack Bauer has appeared on television.

Jack Bauer does not get taken prisoner. He puts himself in a disadvantageous position so as to make his next several killings more dramatic.

If a suspect mentions your name, while being interrogated by Jack Bauer, you have a 3.26% chance of surviving the next 3 hours.

Jack Bauer doesn't laugh in the face of danger; Jack Bauer is the face of danger.

Jack Bauer doesn't have a firewall on his PC. He has a Bauerwall. It's basically just a picture of Jack Bauer. No virus has ever attacked Jack Bauer's PC. Ever.

When Santa Claus asked Jack Bauer what he wanted for Christmas, he snapped his neck. No one interrogates Jack Bauer and gets away with it.

There's one only shift when Jack Bauer works for CTU: the graveyard shift.

Jack Bauer sleeps with a pillow under his gun.

Jack Bauer could strangle you with a cordless phone.

The state of California plans to reduce violent crime by changing the method of capital punishment from lethal injection to Jack Bauer.

The Berlin Wall fell because Jack Bauer needed to get to the other side.
Marlow

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Marlow wrote:Random internet findings: Jack Bauer is the only human in the world with the ability to make Chloe O'Brien drop the personality disorder and patch him through.

[Cough, cough!]

I'm sure you mean Chloe O'BRIAN.

Not that I have anything invested personally, you understand...

:]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_O'Brian
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Marlow wrote: Some people see the glass as half full. Others see it as half empty. Jack Bauer see the glass as a deadly weapon.

Jack Bauer could strangle you with a cordless phone.

Seriously, these were great. The above my two favorites.
Brian

Postby tandfman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:04 pm

In addition to all of his other talents, is Jack Bauer really a bicycle racer in New Zealand?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/ba ... -contender

:)
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:41 pm

tandfman wrote:In addition to all of his other talents, is Jack Bauer really a bicycle racer in New Zealand? :)

Jack Bauer doesn't even need a bike. He tortures the other bikes to give up their riders.
Jack Bauer doesn't have stirrups on his pedals. His feet are grafted onto the bike cuz he won't be getting off till he's pedaled it into the ground.
Jack Bauer's bike is lighter cuz there no sissy water or protein bars on it.
Jack Bauer doesn't have to stop to go to the bathroom - he's Jack Bauer!
Jack sprints the whole race, cuz pain is just his body's way of saying, "I love you."
Jack doesn't need a seat - he kinda likes that rod up his . . . never mind - got carried away a little there. :oops:
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:In addition to all of his other talents, is Jack Bauer really a bicycle racer in New Zealand? :)

Jack Bauer doesn't even need a bike. He tortures the other bikes to give up their riders.
Jack Bauer doesn't have stirrups on his pedals. His feet are grafted onto the bike cuz he won't be getting off till he's pedaled it into the ground.
Jack Bauer's bike is lighter cuz there no sissy water or protein bars on it.
Jack Bauer doesn't have to stop to go to the bathroom - he's Jack Bauer!
Jack sprints the whole race, cuz pain is just his body's way of saying, "I love you."
Jack doesn't need a seat - he kinda likes that rod up his . . . never mind - got carried away a little there. :oops:

And he's obviously a master of disguise!
jeremyp

Postby rasb » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm

Oh, I thought that was a ticking time tomb towards Tuesday's mid-terms...my mistake :)
Tea, anyone?
rasb

Postby gh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 am

<<...When Kevin Coon sat down to watch "24," he didn't know how long it would be until he got back up again, but $10,000 was on the line and he meant to walk out with it....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z186HcPRis

how about 86+ hours of 24 nonstop without falling asleep?!
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 am

gh wrote:how about 86+ hours of 24 nonstop without falling asleep?!

During the breaks he would slap himself "as hard as I could, as if I were interrogating somebody," he says.

Jack would approve. 8-)
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am

gh wrote:<<...When Kevin Coon sat down to watch "24," he didn't know how long it would be until he got back up again, but $10,000 was on the line and he meant to walk out with it....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z186HcPRis

how about 86+ hours of 24 nonstop without falling asleep?!

Is this guys last name Coon or Loon?
jeremyp

Postby jhc68 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:52 am

Ya gotta admire how Bauer-like this guy is: no concern for the banal every day needs of normal people... you know, things like sleep, food, bathrooms, personal hygeine, all that crap the waste so much time on.
jhc68

Postby gh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 am

If you're stuck on an Xmas present for yourself, note that the entire 56-disc boxed set is a steal at $349.98! :mrgreen:
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 am

If you thought Kiefer was a weird first name, check out his whole name:

Kiefer William Fredrick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland

no joke
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 am

$350 for 92 episodes = $3.80/episode...TV was cheaper...
lonewolf

Postby gh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 pm

that's just the MSRP; Amazon is currently offering it for $139.99, and it includes a "bonus disc"

**Chloe's Arrest
**Comic-Con 2009 Panel
**Season 8 Wrap Party Reel
**Eight Days (4 Segments)
*Jack Bauer: Evolution of a Hero
*Presidents Friends and Villains
*Memories and Moments
*Goodbye
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:22 pm

gh wrote: it includes a "bonus disc"
**Chloe's Arrest

If they throw in "Chloe AND Kim's Horribly Gruesome Deaths" then yes, it would be well worth the price. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Freckles showed up tonight on NCIS as a District Attorney who was sleeping with a witness/suspect....but, she expained that he was a good looking guy.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:40 am

lonewolf wrote:Freckles showed up tonight on NCIS as a District Attorney who was sleeping with a witness/suspect

Did the guy at least have the decency to amputate the offending member afterward?
Marlow

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:57 am

lonewolf wrote:Freckles showed up tonight on NCIS as a District Attorney who was sleeping with a witness/suspect....but, she expained that he was a good looking guy.

So who is freckles if I might add? Was it Jack's love interest from the last 2 seasons?
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:30 am

Renee, the FBI agent.
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 am

gh wrote:Renee, the FBI agent.

Ok, thought it might be that.

I never could quite figure out how freckles went from the "by the book" clean FBI agent to hard core troubled agent that somehow gained experience with the Russian mob between the last seasons. How many years were supposed to have passed between then and the final season? It seems Jack's daughter had barely aged still in the final go round.
odelltrclan

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 am

odelltrclan wrote:I never could quite figure out how freckles went from the "by the book" clean FBI agent to hard core troubled agent that somehow gained experience with the Russian mob between the last seasons.

I think the show's writers shared your confusion. The character she was originally and then the character they rewrote her into being had no correlation whatsoever. It's as if they made a new character but recast an old cast member to play her. It made absolutely no sense. :roll:
Marlow

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 am

Marlow wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:I never could quite figure out how freckles went from the "by the book" clean FBI agent to hard core troubled agent that somehow gained experience with the Russian mob between the last seasons.

I think the show's writers shared your confusion. The character she was originally and then the character they rewrote her into being had no correlation whatsoever. It's as if they made a new character but recast an old cast member to play her. It made absolutely no sense. :roll:

Maybe some of the same buffoons that reduced one of Dallas' seasons to a dream of Pam Ewing. They think that those who watch the show are too stupid to be bothered by these details or notice them.
odelltrclan

Postby RAP » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Any of you Hollywood insiders know if there is anything on the cutting table that resembles either 24 or Alias? Is there anything out now that I might be missing (like 24/Alias)? Thanks.
RAP

Postby gh » Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 am

gh

PreviousNext