New Track For Stanford

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

New Track For Stanford

Postby gh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:58 am

Heard at Nationals last weekend that some time in July Stanford track will be ripped up and a new one poured. Don't know what the surface will be, but did hear that it will NOT be Mondo.
gh

Re: New Track For Stanford

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:14 am

So who gets to decide about the new track? The new track coach?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:41 pm

Sounds right.

The new HS track just north of Stanford (off El Camino)will be ready to be poured about that same time.

Find out who's doing that one and you may have your answer as to the new surface at Stanford.

Postby Oletimer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:57 pm

I was getting worried that Stanford was letting the facility get in disrepair. Maybe the new track will produce better times for the 100 up to the 800.
Oletimer

Postby gh » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:12 pm

If the Nationals were being held today I can assure you there would be some fast 100 times. It's currently 14:00, the temperature is 98 in the shade and there's not a breath of wind.
gh

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:14 pm

I'd rather they keep the old track and use the money to build a small brick building with plumbing so that spectators wouldn't have to use Port-o-potties. What fans have to endure at that place is just disgusting.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:28 pm

>I'd rather they keep the old track and use the
>money to build a small brick building with
>plumbing so that spectators wouldn't have to use
>Port-o-potties. What fans have to endure at that
>place is just disgusting.>>

Oh c'mon, I know for a fact that they have them cleaned every 6 months, whether they need it or not!

At least the Stanford loos are away from the track. Anybody else have the joy of sitting on the homestretch side at the Trials in Sacto, where after a few days of bubbling in the triple-digit sun the stench came up under the bleachers into the stands?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:36 pm

You're exactly right, Garry.

Density altitude in Palo Alto is about 4,000 feet right now by my calculations.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:55 pm

How about investing in new seating and WC's. What a rotten venue.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:05 pm

Bleacher Bum:

That stench was from them pumping out the toilets, not from the sun (I was there too). Why they decided to do it right in the middle of the track meet was a bit bizarre though.

Postby BillVol » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:59 pm

I'm glad we're (Tennessee) not alone when it comes to subpar track facilities.

Tennessee has a decent set-up, but it could be so much better. Public restrooms are terrible. The AD moved the sprints to the "other" side of the track to take advantage of how the winds usually go, so they had to build new stands over there. However, the press box and main stands are still on what is now the backstretch.

At least we have a good surface. Brand new. Plus all the events take place inside the oval. And we have the new jumbotron scoreboard. A fine place to watch a meet, but I wish we could do something special.

All things considered, I wonder who has the best facilities? Texas looks like they did their new place right. I've been to Florida's and it is very nice. Of course Oregon. What are the other top facilities?
BillVol

Postby gm » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:07 pm

Texas got ripped off for all the millions they spent -- talk about stinking portapotties on the garage side!

No shade really available anywhere, and it's a shame the jumps block the view of the outside lanes.
gm

Postby KEL » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:32 am

I truly hope that other communities can experience the support Hayward Field receives in Eugene. It is a real joy to attend meets in the facility, along with knowledgeable crowds.
Hopefully others will be constructed with similar support from their communities.
KEL

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:28 am

Maybe now they'll add back those extra 10-15 meters onto that track to get it back to 400m.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:44 am

There are several facilities in the middle of the country. Missouri has a brand new one. Kansas U. is close to a major airport. Maybe they don't even bid for the events. They should.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:21 pm

>There are several facilities in the middle of the
>country. Missouri has a brand new one. Kansas
>U. is close to a major airport. Maybe they don't
>even bid for the events. They should.>>

Over on the "USATF" thread gh noted the need for a strong LOC to get things up and running. No offense to Missouri or Kansas (or anywhere else that isn't getting meets), but do they have that kind of grassroots support?

I suspect gh left out something really important in his analysis: funding the meet. I don't know how USATF works, but I doubt they say, "Here's the chequebook," let us know when you run out of cheques."

I bet the locals either have to come up w/ a deep-pockets sponsor(s) and/or know they'll have enough ticket sales to crack their nut. Depending how big that number is (would $100,000 be an unreasonable guess?), how many people are willing to take a flyer? I imagine it's no coincidence that the Nationals (USATF variety) has such a narrow range of hosts.

Postby billthedog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:32 pm

>Sounds right.

The new HS track just north of
>Stanford (off El Camino)will be ready to be
>poured about that same time.

If you mean Palo Alto High School, let's say so!

Bill Allen, Paly '42.
billthedog

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:54 pm

< Bill
>Allen, Paly '42.>

You do realize, sir, that we're closer to 2042 than we are to 1942 at this point? Nonethless, hope to see you there.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:18 pm

>The new HS track just north
>of
>Stanford (off El Camino)will be ready to
>be
>poured about that same time.

If you mean
>Palo Alto High School, let's say so!

Bill
>Allen, Paly '42.

Wasn't the Paly track, though new, poured months ago? Could swear I've seen a new track there when riding by the campus on the commuter train that travels on the adjacent tracks.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:47 am

Hey, I dont know much about track surfaces. I have heard of poured track and layered tracks. Which one is faster for distance and which is better for sprints or is there much of a difference? What about the materials?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:11 am

Nope, not Palo Alto.

NORTH, not east of the Stanford track.

What is the next HS heading north on El Camino?

The school and track are on the left heading north.

The track and infield are under construction

Postby CoachKoby » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:29 am

Hey BillVol, do you think the new AD will spend the money to improve your facilities or was it the new AD who built the new stands? What do you think of the new AD? There was an article about Doug Dickey in the Gainesville Sun yesterday.
CoachKoby

Postby BillVol » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:07 am

Supposedly an indoor 200m track is on the way. Dickey built the aluminum stands along the new straightaway, but most people still sit in the cement stands on what is now the backstretch. Too early to tell if the new AD will do anything special for track. The track is not bad, but it could be much better. Thanks for the heads up on the Dickey article. gatorsports.com is the site I believe.
BillVol

Postby CoachKoby » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:18 am

You're welcome. There needs to be more indoor facilities to go to in the S.E. besides Florida and Arkansas.
CoachKoby

Postby bubba » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:33 am

Off the top of my head- UNC, Virginia Tech, LSU, Clemson (I'm being generous here), and ETSU all have indoor facilities. UNC's and VT's are good for fast performances but not spectating.
bubba

Postby CoachKoby » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:36 am

I was thinking that it "seems" like the SEC teams always seem to go to Arkansas or Florida. I realize there are more than 2 indoor facilities in the S.E. just didn't know where they were. Thanks.
CoachKoby

Postby dl » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:57 am

Kentucky has a flat 293m track. Tennessee's got a 200m flat, but it's not very fast. LSU's got a good 200m flat. South Carolina's got a square indoor track around their indoor football practice field. Basically, they only run straightaway races.
dl

Postby BillVol » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:27 am

I don't know why I thought Tennessee's indoor track at Stokely Athletics Center was 176 yards, 10 laps for a mile. I'm pretty sure this is right. I'd call UT sports info, but even with a football question, those guys and gals in there aren't usually of any help.

All the track and "infield" sprint and runway areas have been resurfaced with Rekortan, I do know. They even "paved" over the old tartan basketball court with Rekortan. But the track is long and the turns are tight.

Because of this, the track hasn't hosted many (if any) high profile meets. Track record records of note are:

440y Trevor James D.C. Striders 49.0 1975
880y Larry Kelly Tennessee 1:52.3 1968
1000y Bob Lang Florida 2:12.4 1969
Mile Mark Brown ETSU 4:08.0 1976
2 Mile Doug Brown Tennessee 8:50.0 1974
BillVol