any other Sons of Anarchy fans here?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

any other Sons of Anarchy fans here?

Postby gh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm

This week's 90-minute episode was the best yet, with the use of Patty Griffin's Mary at the end a tear-jerker.

Katey Sagal deserves an Emmy (I said that last year too, actually).

Of course, if a rogue-biker series isn't your cup o' tea......
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:02 am

Speaking of new shows, I have watched " V " the first 2 weeks, and it is TERRIBLE ! Never again.
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 am

Gave SoA a shot, but couldn't get into it. Same with all the CSIs, NCISs and L&Os. On the other hand, I am addicted to Mentalist and Lie To Me!!
Marlow

Postby gh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:42 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Speaking of new shows, I have watched " V " the first 2 weeks, and it is TERRIBLE ! Never again.

Thanks for the heads-up! I loved the pilot, but apparently forgot to tell the DVR to record it every week, so missed this week's. Fortuntely it's downloadable from the iTunes story. (Psst--it's also the hottest selling show in the store)
gh

Re: any other Sons of Anarchy fans here?

Postby jamese1045 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 am

gh wrote:This week's 90-minute episode was the best yet, with the use of Patty Griffin's Mary at the end a tear-jerker.

Katey Segal deserves an Emmy (I said that last year too, actually).

I recorded that episode because we were watching another show. BUT, we are fierce SOA viewers. Gad, when Clay finds out about what happened to Gemma! :shock: When Opie finds out how Donna was done! :shock: When the whole Clay/Jax conflict goes down! :shock:

Best thing since Sopranos and Carnivale--maybe Deadwood matches up.
jamese1045

Postby highjumpfan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 am

Big SoA fan. Love the cameos. Was trying to explain it to my girlfriend who asked me if they were a bad biker gang. Hard to explain the shades of bad. Explained they were better then the White supremists, but not as good as the Native Americans.
highjumpfan

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:10 am

highjumpfan wrote:Was trying to explain it to my girlfriend who asked me if they were a bad biker gang. Hard to explain the shades of bad.

Let's see - gun-running to drug gangs? Yeah, I'll go with bad, despite the 'honor among thieves' vibe going on, and the occasional altruistic act. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Dutra » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 am

SoA is a fantastic show which is still in the stage of getting better.

The last 10 minutes of this past Tuesday's episode was simply brilliant.
Dutra

Postby gh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:03 am

Will Piney pull the trigger?

How will Tig feel when the psilocybin wears off and he realizes he apologized to Donna (in the person of the doll)?
gh

Postby jamese1045 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Marlow wrote:
highjumpfan wrote:Was trying to explain it to my girlfriend who asked me if they were a bad biker gang. Hard to explain the shades of bad.

Let's see - gun-running to drug gangs? Yeah, I'll go with bad, despite the 'honor among thieves' vibe going on, and the occasional altruistic act. :twisted:

If you judge a show on its conventional morality of "good vs evii," then you have a point. But I look for production values, credibility of plot, character, and theme development. SOA seems to me to be strong ("good") on these criteria.
jamese1045

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I love this show. I started watching it surreptitously when my wife wasn't home and saw the last 6 episodes of last year. I knew my wife would turn up her nose at a "biker" show, so I started to watch the second season and decided to see if I could suck her in. So I tivo'd the first three episodes and said to her: "watch the first one, if you don't like it I'll watch it on my own." She was appalled and fascinated and at the end said: "can we netflix last season?"

Now we're deep into "the Shield" Sutter's other show.

Watching bad boy adolescent males is one thing, watching bad boy adolescents and their bitches is way better.

The last episode's ending was excellent!
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:22 pm

SOA, The Shield, Sopranos, and the best of all: The Wire, all have a Dickensian feel to them. They are richly etched character driven vehicles where the shades of good and evil are wide and complicated.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 pm

How come I never heard of this show? I must have been watching Sesame Street or Sponge Bog. What night, time and channel?
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:54 pm

lonewolf wrote:How come I never heard of this show? I must have been watching Sesame Street or Sponge Bog. What night, time and channel?

FX, Tuesday night, but shown repeatedly thru week.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:56 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Speaking of new shows, I have watched " V " the first 2 weeks, and it is TERRIBLE ! Never again.

We were gone as soon as they started to cut "v"'s" in their neck to see if they were lizards.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks, The TV schedule must be somewhere in the pile of inserts I discarded from Sunday paper.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:59 pm

lonewolf wrote:Thanks, The TV schedule must be somewhere in the pile of inserts I discarded from Sunday paper.

My Lord you don't have a DVR or Tivo?
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Marlow wrote:Gave SoA a shot, but couldn't get into it. Same with all the CSIs, NCISs and L&Os. On the other hand, I am addicted to Mentalist and Lie To Me!!

This would explain the numerous posts! Way too much time away from what's good on TV.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

I just found out I do have a DVR and have been paying the cable company about $16/month for (?) years.. I guess I will have to get my 8 year old grandson over here to show me how to use it.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:10 pm

jamese1045 wrote:If you judge a show on its conventional morality of "good vs evii," then you have a point. But I look for production values, credibility of plot, character, and theme development. SOA seems to me to be strong ("good") on these criteria.

If 'goodness' were a criterion, my favorite show would not be Rescue Me, which is about one of the most effed up characters in TV history! My favorite episode is the one where Tommy's friends and family (on-the-wagon alcoholics ALL) hold an Intervention to get him back off the sauce after he goes on a bender, and he convinces them all to start drinking again!
Marlow

Postby Dutra » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Marlow wrote:
jamese1045 wrote:If you judge a show on its conventional morality of "good vs evii," then you have a point. But I look for production values, credibility of plot, character, and theme development. SOA seems to me to be strong ("good") on these criteria.

If 'goodness' were a criterion, my favorite show would not be Rescue Me, which is about one of the most effed up characters in TV history! My favorite episode is the one where Tommy's friends and family (on-the-wagon alcoholics ALL) hold an Intervention to get him back off the sauce after he goes on a bender, and he convinces them all to start drinking again!

That was a great episode.

Rescue Me is fantastic as well.
Dutra

Postby highjumpfan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:17 pm

gh wrote:Will Piney pull the trigger?

How will Tig feel when the psilocybin wears off and he realizes he apologized to Donna (in the person of the doll)?

Is that what he was doing? It was unclear. Good thing Opie wasn't there. Tig probably won't remember it.
highjumpfan

Postby lonewolf » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm

I am watching SOA for the first time right now don't have an inkling of what is happening. Can a late comer ever figure out what is going on, who the characters are and their relationship?
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:03 am

IMDB is great for movies and almost as good for TV, but I've found that the best way to catch up on any TV show is to google "name of show episode guide" and the first thing on the list should be "www.tv.com/nameofshow"

Quickie synopsis of each episode, various reviews. Here's Sons:

http://www.tv.com/sons-of-anarchy/show/ ... aginator;1

You've got 20-odd bits to read, but should fill you in quickly enough.

At IMDB, you can get a clip from each show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124373/episodes
gh

Postby lonewolf » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks, gh. I will try to get up to speed on SOA. It only took me a year do get into 24 after missing the first five years. :)
lonewolf

Postby jamese1045 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 pm

highjumpfan wrote:
gh wrote:Will Piney pull the trigger?

Is that what he was doing? It was unclear. Good thing Opie wasn't there. Tig probably won't remember it.

Not so unclear and very well tied in to---foreshadowing--things to come imo.

Looking forward to see what the likely--imo--recobciliation of Jax and Clay might be. Whatever comes of the other plots in SOA they got to schmeer those Nazis.
jamese1045

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:34 am

lonewolf wrote:I just found out I do have a DVR and have been paying the cable company about $16/month for (?) years.. I guess I will have to get my 8 year old grandson over here to show me how to use it.

One of my proudest moments as a techno moron was to get Tivo before my daughter! That and Netflix are the greatest buys any TV/movie lover can make.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 am

gh wrote:IMDB is great for movies and almost as good for TV, but I've found that the best way to catch up on any TV show is to google "name of show episode guide" and the first thing on the list should be "www.tv.com/nameofshow"

Quickie synopsis of each episode, various reviews. Here's Sons:

http://www.tv.com/sons-of-anarchy/show/ ... aginator;1

You've got 20-odd bits to read, but should fill you in quickly enough.

At IMDB, you can get a clip from each show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124373/episodes

To me that's like doing a crossword puzzle with a dictionary. I much prefer to go to Netflix and get caught up, and tape the current season until I can get to it.

I'm doing that with Batllestar Gallactica right now and lovin it!
jeremyp

Postby highjumpfan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Anybody else disappointed in the finale. Felt it lacked some of the rich dialogue and and intrigue of the rest of the season. Almost too predictable.
highjumpfan

Postby Dutra » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:59 pm

highjumpfan wrote:Anybody else disappointed in the finale. Felt it lacked some of the rich dialogue and and intrigue of the rest of the season. Almost too predictable.

I thought the episode tried too hard.
Dutra

Postby jeremyp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:44 pm

It would have been best to end it the way they did two weeks ago. With Gemma's revelation!
jeremyp

Postby AS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 pm

You've intrigued me. I'm gonna chase up an episode or two (online and legal of course).

No idea if it'll ever hit Australian screens
AS

Postby gh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 pm

gh wrote:This week's 90-minute episode was the best yet, with the use of Patty Griffin's Mary at the end a tear-jerker.

Talkin' tear-jerker, and talent, Sagal (proper spelling) was stunning in this week's episode, not only as Gemma, but also as the one singing Cohen's Bird On A Wire to close it out. Wow!
gh

Postby jeremyp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am

gh wrote: Talkin' tear-jerker, and talent, Sagal (proper spelling) was stunning in this week's episode, not only as Gemma, but also as the one singing Cohen's Bird On A Wire to close it out. Wow!

Had to admit I had tears in my eyes with that song overlay of the end of the episode. Did not know she sang that! Amazing! Wonder if she's going to Belfast? Cut out some Priest's heart?
jeremyp

Postby gh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 am

Or is she dead? Pretty convincing heart attack of her own I thought.

Note that she covered the Stones' Ruby Tuesday in season 2. She comes by her singing chops well; she was a member of the Harlettes in the '70s (Bette Midler's backup singers).

Note also that her sister, Liz, was the co-author of the script.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:00 am

I watched a couple of episodes when this came up last year. Decided I did not have time or interest to catch up with the characters and story line.
Which is true in general. It is not possible for me (anyone?) to watch every movie/sit-com/sporting event/etc. I give up.
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:52 pm

lonewolf wrote:I watched a couple of episodes when this came up last year. Decided I did not have time or interest to catch up with the characters and story line.
Which is true in general. It is not possible for me (anyone?) to watch every movie/sit-com/sporting event/etc. I give up.

You can if you focus only on the good ones.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:00 am

Anybody else catch the nice zinger on Sarah Palin on this week's show? Any guesses if that Priest is going to be SAMCRO bait?
jeremyp

Postby jamese1045 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Guess which old fool, after decades of yelling at characters on the screen to Don't Go into the basement! Don't Go into the water! Don't Go into the attic. Do NOT GO into that damned castle! Spent some minutes tonight yelling at the SOA guys Don't Go into that barn all together!!!!

They went. Sigh. :(
jamese1045

Postby gh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:03 pm

jeremyp wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I watched a couple of episodes when this came up last year. Decided I did not have time or interest to catch up with the characters and story line.

You can if you focus only on the good ones.

And I've found that the best way to watch is by saturation, of sorts. Anything that's good on a weekly basis is infinitely better when watched daily. Your appreciation of plot development, getting inside the dramatis personae, etc., etc. all improve at a geometric rate. So get hold of a whole season of SOA (or whatever) and eat up 45 minutes of your life every night for two weeks. Entertainment of the highest order (and no commercials).
gh

Next