Not For The Acrophobic

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Not For The Acrophobic

Postby guru » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Last edited by guru on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guru

Re: Not For The Acrophobic

Postby lonewolf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Ditto.. :shock:
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 am

How do they find people who are willing to do that?
Daisy

Postby kuha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:27 am

:!:
kuha

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:50 am

So when you're climbing at the very tippy-top, you're not attached to anything??!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:06 am

And now I think about it, it's got to be even worse going down!!!
Daisy

Postby gh » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 am

If i didn't have Acro before, i certainly do now!

Hokey-smokes! I had to stop halfway just to catch my breath.
gh

Postby kuha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:04 am

Terrifying, for sure.

I wonder: How much they would have to pay ME to do that--even when I was 25 & fit? $10,000 wouldn't do it; $25,000 wouldn't do it... At the $100,000 level I'd at least start to think "could I actually do this?"--but I'm pretty sure the answer would still be NONONONONONONONO!
kuha

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:19 am

kuha wrote:I wonder: How much they would have to pay ME to do that--even when I was 25 & fit? $10,000 wouldn't do it; $25,000 wouldn't do it... At the $100,000 level I'd at least start to think "could I actually do this?"--but I'm pretty sure the answer would still be NONONONONONONONO!

Good question. One step further? How much would you bet? Do it and you keep all the money. Chicken out and you lose it.
$50K is a lot to lose, but maybe the right incentive to make oneself do it.
The problem is the lack of life-lines. Just getting dizzy up there would be fatal.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 am

There are plenty of people in Boulder who would do it, or at least there were.

Just go to Eldorado Canyon.

But seriously, I think the video is scarier than actually doing it. In my relatively short climbing career, I am kind of still surprised at some of the stuff I got up. Standing at the base of some vertical wall I sometime would pray for rain just so I could quit. But once you get started and are concentrating on what you are doing, i.e. looking at the rock etc, before you know it you are at the top.

The first time I did the Third Flatiron in Boulder, even though it is an easy climb it is so exposed that I had to quit about a third up. Looking around and taking in the view was not wise. But I did it again and this time only looked at the rock and had no problems.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby kuha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 am

The truth is, there are a few folks who would do this climb for the fun of it. Many (desperate impoverished folks?) that would do it for something in the range of $1,000; and plenty more that would do it (or try it) for $100,000. But not me...
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:38 am

kuha wrote:The truth is, there are a few folks who would do this climb for the fun of it. Many (desperate impoverished folks?) that would do it for something in the range of $1,000; and plenty more that would do it (or try it) for $100,000. But not me...

I wonder how many people could actually do it just for the money? I would bet it is not many. It is a loooong way up.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:40 am

kuha wrote: But not me...

kuha the climbing ape!

Conor Dary

Postby kuha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 am

Conor Dary wrote:
kuha wrote: But not me...

kuha the climbing ape!

Bingo! That was me in my younger, fit & handsome days...
kuha

Postby guru » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:43 am

Here's a discussion thread on the video, including a guy who did it for awhile.

http://www.artifacting.com/blog/2010/09 ... ion-tower/
guru

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 am

Conor Dary wrote:There are plenty of people in Boulder who would do it, or at least there were.

But . . . the vast majority of sheer cliff climbers are on rope. These tower-climbers are free-climbing - no safety rope - and that makes all the difference in the world. I'd climb the tower for much less money if I were on a safety rope.
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:There are plenty of people in Boulder who would do it, or at least there were.

But . . . the vast majority of sheer cliff climbers are on rope. These tower-climbers are free-climbing - no safety rope - and that makes all the difference in the world. I'd climb the tower for much less money if I were on a safety rope.

Sorry, but what do you think those tower guys clipping in during the video are doing?

Besides there are a few free soloists out there and have been for a while.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 824977185#
Conor Dary

Postby kuha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Marlow wrote:I'd climb the tower for much less money if I were on a safety rope.

I'll give ya the safety rope and $30. Let the fun begin!
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:21 pm

kuha wrote:
Marlow wrote:I'd climb the tower for much less money if I were on a safety rope.

I'll give ya the safety rope and $30. Let the fun begin!

Yes, let's hear it! If you have a fear of heights and don't know how to handle it, even a top rope isn't going to help.
Conor Dary

Postby Marlow » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Sorry, but what do you think those tower guys clipping in during the video are doing?

PART of the way, but as he says when he first gets out in the open at the top, there are NO lines part of the time at the very top.
Marlow

Postby guru » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Sorry, but what do you think those tower guys clipping in during the video are doing?

The only time they clip on is when they stop and rest on the way up, and once they get there.
guru

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:15 pm

guru wrote:
Marlow wrote:

The only time they clip on is when they stop and rest on the way up, and once they get there.

Well obviously they weren't on belay the whole time. But they were climbing a ladder. Clip in to rest, which only makes sense.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:27 pm

what makes this worse than (all?) rock climbing is that you don't have the option of walking down the easy slope on the backside, or simply rappelling down.

My climbing was minimal, but it was always shocking how easy it is to go up a face and how brutal it is to come back down. the same way.
gh

Postby guru » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:08 pm

guru

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 pm

gh wrote:what makes this worse than (all?) rock climbing is that you don't have the option of walking down the easy slope on the backside, or simply rappelling down.

My climbing was minimal, but it was always shocking how easy it is to go up a face and how brutal it is to come back down. the same way.

Downclimbing a route is definitely much harder. Primarily because it is hard to spot the holds.

I think everyone here is overstating the danger here. While dangerous and of course scary, the guy is climbing a ladder, a very long ladder, but still a ladder. Assuming they aren't dumb enough to go up in a wind storm, it is primarily a matter of paying attention to what you are doing. Rest and repeat. Yes, going down is harder but not that much so.

Rocks aren't falling from above, hand and footholds are obvious and secure. And plenty of rest stops, whenever you want, unlike, say the Nose on El Cap which is 3000 ft long.

PS. As for rappelling, it is not a trivial exercise. Very experienced climbers have died rappelling, with failed anchors, broken harnesses, rappelling off the end of the rope, rock falls....
Last edited by Conor Dary on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Postby guru » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:32 pm

This thred is reminding me of a movie I saw a month or so ago called "Man On Wire", the story of French high-wire artist Philippe Petit, the man who planned and executed a walk between the towers of the World Trade Center in 1974. It actually turned out to be several crossings, but not just walking. Running, jumping, laying down IN THE MIDDLE. Taunting the police, he finally left the wire when he became concerned the police helicopters would blow him off the wire. Mind-boggling stuff.

Here's a clip from the movie, but I HIGHLY recommend checking out the whole film. Just the planning of the thing was amazing in and of itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEU7lrtehDs
guru

Postby Cooter Brown » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:42 pm

My wife's cousin is a cell tower repairman for AT&T in the Bay Area. My wife said he gets paid $25/hour and an additional $300-400 bonus for each tower that is climbed. He barely graduated high school, is 22 and makes over $100K per year. He's an adrenaline junkie so it's a perfect job for him until it kills him. He said the only thing that concerns him is an earthquake while on top of one.
Cooter Brown

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Cooter Brown wrote: the only thing that concerns him is an earthquake while on top of one.

Might be the safest place to be!
Marlow

Postby gh » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:01 pm

So why is the face of the second climber pixellated out?
gh

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Just go to Eldorado Canyon.

Fifth pitch of a climb called "The Naked Edge", one I did a couple times in the '80s/'90s. Really exciting exposure, meaning way up there, steep, with a lot of air below your feet.
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm amazed OSHA doesn't require them to be clipped in at all times. I mean, they make us keep g@#damned Material Safety Data Sheets on Sharpies.

I wonder how much the top of the tower moves in a mild wind, say 15 mph?
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Besides there are a few free soloists out there and have been for a while.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 824977185#

Some well-known ones are six feet under...John Bachar, Derek Hersey (a fixture around Boulder in the mid-80s thru his death soloing in 1993), Jimmy Jewel. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Dean Potter, featured in the video, ended up buying it soloing as well.
DrJay

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:32 pm

DrJay wrote:I wonder how much the top of the tower moves in a mild wind, say 15 mph?

That thing looked pretty wobbly when they stepped up on the last "platform" I was concerned that if might snap off if their weight was flung around by the wind.
lonewolf

Postby DrJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 pm

I thought the same. Beefier rungs/attachments would make me feel better if I were up there.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:48 pm

DrJay wrote:Fifth pitch of a climb called "The Naked Edge", one I did a couple times in the '80s/'90s. Really exciting exposure, meaning way up there, steep, with a lot of air below your feet.

Yes it is the Naked Edge. It got its name, from a pulp novel someone had just read, primarily because it is so exposed. Wow, so you climbed it. I am impressed! That was definitely above my abilities. I knew Jim Erickson, the first to free climb it, pretty well in Boulder. He used to show up to our all-comer meets at Potts.

Once, years ago, in Eldorado I was climbing with someone quite a bit younger, and Erickson was just starting the Bastille Crack. I went over and said hello and my partner was so excited I knew a Boulder legend.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 pm

DrJay wrote:I thought the same. Beefier rungs/attachments would make me feel better if I were up there.

Remember these guys were making a movie for youtube. Who knows what they left out.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 pm

DrJay wrote:
Some well-known ones are six feet under...John Bachar, Derek Hersey (a fixture around Boulder in the mid-80s thru his death soloing in 1993), Jimmy Jewel. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Dean Potter, featured in the video, ended up buying it soloing as well.

I knew about Hersey dying in Yosemite doing a solo climb, but wasn't aware of Bachar. I knew he had a serious accident soloing a few years ago.
Conor Dary

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

Conor Dary wrote:
DrJay wrote:

I knew about Hersey dying in Yosemite doing a solo climb, but wasn't aware of Bachar. I knew he had a serious accident soloing a few years ago.

From wiki:

"On July 5, 2009, John Bachar died in a free solo accident at Dike Wall near Mammoth Lakes, California. While the exact reasons for his fall may never be known, some have speculated he may possibly have been hit by a loose rock that fell from above. Others believe he may simply have fell due to a lack of feeling and strength in his right arm and hand; a residual injury left over from his car accident"

So I wonder if any of these radio tower guys have died on the job?
DrJay

Postby gh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 am

if they had, wouldn't we have heard it on the radio? :-)

Hey... I still wanna know about the pixellated face!
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:30 pm

gh wrote:I still wanna know about the pixellated face!

Short answer : didn't sign the video release.
Longer answer : didn't want anyone to know he was that crazy.
Marlow

Next