The girl with the dragon tattoo


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Anybody else seen this movie, or its current sequel "the girl who played with fire?" They're very popular books and movies in Europe. The main character is quite unique: Lisbeth Salander. She's a combo computer nerd/antisocial/kick-ass/bi-sexual anti heroine. And quite delicious too, if you're in to Goth anorexics.

If you don't like subtitles you can wait for the English versions being close to shooting now (with Daniel Craig).
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tatoo

Postby lapsus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Good movies, well made & acted. I would say the first one was a touch better. Quite Swedish plot, though (not that that is a bad thing).
lapsus
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tatoo

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 pm

My city, being the sophisticated, urbane, haute coolture cosmopolis that it is, had this in local theatres for about nine nanoseconds. :roll:
I would like to see the Swedish versions before the Ami ones, so I guess I'm gonna hafta RedBox it.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The girl with the dragon tatoo

Postby Daisy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I saw this on netflix and found it a good movie, you definitely get drawn into the story and the back plots. It seemed to be a little violent in a couple of places, but I guess they are trying to be true to the book? ( i have not read the book) I thought that the actress that played Lisbeth (sp?) did a great job, very surly and brooding.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tatoo

Postby jhc68 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

The books are engaging, haven't seen the flicks. Hard to imagine that the films could capture the intricate plotlines.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tatoo

Postby AS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:36 pm

jhc68 wrote:The books are engaging, haven't seen the flicks. Hard to imagine that the films could capture the intricate plotlines.


The first film (I haven't see #2 yet) struggles to capture the complexity of novel. Indeed the tensions within the large family, the 'discovery process' etc are all underplayed, absent and/or rushed. Most annoyingly, Lisbeth's relationships and sexuality are very poorly demonstrated... she ends up far too flippant...

Nevertheless it works pretty well as a stand-alone film I expect (certainly from what I've heard here and from others who haven't read the trilogy).

As for the books, I found the 2nd by far the most well-constructed. By the 3rd it is way too bogged down in recalling the first two that it talk almost 400 pages to get to anything new and engaging...
AS
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 am

The guy who wrote the 3 books handed them in to a publisher at the same time, then died of a heart attack and his live in girlfriend of many years never saw a dime. The $$ instead went to the author's father and brother who, according to the gf were never close to the author. She has a lap top that has 3/4 of another book, but won't give it up.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby bad hammy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 am

The Curmudgeon Book Reviewer is bucking the crowd. Dragon tattoo girl book was a marginal story, no characters of real interest, amateurish writing. But made me laugh every time they mentioned a computer - had to list every detail (model, speed of processor, amount of RAM, size of hard drive, etc) of every computer that showed up in the story.

On the other hand, with a good screenwriter it will probably be made into a blockbuster movie. Also, the details of Sweden were interesting.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 am

bad hammy wrote:had to list every detail (model, speed of processor, amount of RAM, size of hard drive, etc)

That would drive me nuts. It did not come out in the movie at all.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 am

bad hammy wrote:The Curmudgeon Book Reviewer is bucking the crowd. Dragon tattoo girl book was a marginal story, no characters of real interest, amateurish writing.
Yeah I agree. I whipped through it (the girl who played with fire)in a couple of days and found it basic trash writing, but the Lisbeth character rivetting. Without her it's not much.

On the other hand, with a good screenwriter it will probably be made into a blockbuster movie. Also, the details of Sweden were interesting.


If I'm reading the figures correctly on mbd looks like it made 182 mill in Sweden and Denmark. Not bad for 2 smallish countries (15 mill pop?). The key will be the Salander character, and whether they can find one as good as the Swede( Noomi Rapace).
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Double R Bar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:33 pm

I thought the book was better than the movie, however I enjoyed both.
Double R Bar
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Mineral City

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby AS » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Perhaps the excessive IT-equipment referencing was about appealing to the early adopters and cyber-fetishists out there:

On July 28th, Amazon announced that Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has become the first e-book to sell a million copies.


http://www.itworld.com/tech-amp-society ... ler-e-book
AS
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby mump boy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 pm

it was one of the best films i've seen in ages i dread to think what the re-makes will be like

Daniel Craig, seriously !! the casting in the swedish version was absolutely genius,i remember commenting how in any remakes they would never be as sublte which seems to be the case. i heard a rumour that carey mulligan would be lisbeth !!

i read all the books in quick succesion and they are rather generic thrillers and ludicrous in places i thought they were well written with very interesting characters. the film was much better and i look forward to the 2nd installment which comes out soon :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 pm

mump boy wrote:Daniel Craig, seriously !!
He's a definite.
i heard a rumour that carey mulligan would be lisbeth !!
She's out. The Director is casting an "unknown."

the film was much better and i look forward to the 2nd installment which comes out soon :D
It's out already in my neck of the woods (SW Florida), has been for 2 weeks now.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby mump boy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 am

jeremyp wrote:
mump boy wrote:Daniel Craig, seriously !!
He's a definite.
i heard a rumour that carey mulligan would be lisbeth !!
She's out. The Director is casting an "unknown."

the film was much better and i look forward to the 2nd installment which comes out soon :D
It's out already in my neck of the woods (SW Florida), has been for 2 weeks now.


not out in uk till Aug 27th :(
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Rog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 am

Tenuous bit of trivia about Noomi Rapace - she plays the lead in an adaptation of one of Sweden's major crime series, while her husband, Ola Rapace, played Stefan Lindman in the first series of the Swedish language version of Wallander, the adaptations based on the characters from Mankell's books.
Rog
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:51 am

mump boy wrote:not out in uk till Aug 27th :(
You mean the film goes to the US (where no-one will go to a movie with subtitles) from Sweden before it gets to the UK? Weird.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:56 am

Rog wrote:, while her husband, Ola Rapace, played Stefan Lindman in the first series of the Swedish language version of Wallander, the adaptations based on the characters from Mankell's books.


Which stars Kenneth Branagh in the Brit version. Personally I almost always prefer the original, sub titles and all. One exception would be: "the departed," where Scorsese made a movie better than the original Hong Kong one....but not by much.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Rog » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 am

jeremyp wrote:
Rog wrote:, while her husband, Ola Rapace, played Stefan Lindman in the first series of the Swedish language version of Wallander, the adaptations based on the characters from Mankell's books.


Which stars Kenneth Branagh in the Brit version. Personally I almost always prefer the original, sub titles and all. One exception would be: "the departed," where Scorsese made a movie better than the original Hong Kong one....but not by much.


I think both versions are excellent, although quite different. The Swedish version has got a more solemn tone and quite a bit more tension while the UK version has a great central performance from Kenneth Branagh and a higher budget. It's surprising in a way that two different high quality adaptations have been made of such a high standard - as an Agatha Christie fan I am astonished at how poor the adaptations often are, and they just keep on coming (to be repeated ad infinitum).

Personally I think the subtitles add a lot to the Swedish version as we get to hear the swedish language in the background - surely the most beautiful sounding tongue in the world (not that I can understand it). Maybe the subtitles add a touch of gravitas to it as well. Imagine the poor Swedes if they get something like Eastenders - the horrible gruff mock Cockney accents and the terrible flat dialogue translated with no hiding place!
Rog
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Just saw: "The girl who played with fire." While Salander's character has lost some of her originality, she remains the one and only reason to see the movie. She is the bright spark in a sea of derivativity. It's still very entertaining stuff. I saw it in Florida surrounded by senior citizens, and the lesbian sex scene certainly had them clucking. Not I, of course, clucking I was not. 8-)
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Flumpy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:50 am

jeremyp wrote:
mump boy wrote:not out in uk till Aug 27th :(
You mean the film goes to the US (where no-one will go to a movie with subtitles) from Sweden before it gets to the UK? Weird.


It was out in France about a month ago. Not sure why it's taken so long to come out in UK but I'm guessing it's to do with the DVD release. Came out on DVD about 2 weeks back here. They probably want as many people to rent it on DVD (As I did) before the next one is available.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Flumpy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:53 am

jeremyp wrote:
If I'm reading the figures correctly on mbd looks like it made 182 mill in Sweden and Denmark. Not bad for 2 smallish countries (15 mill pop?). The key will be the Salander character, and whether they can find one as good as the Swede( Noomi Rapace).


It's currently made 102 million dollars off a budget of 13 mil!!!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... tattoo.htm

Obviously what the world is crying out for is a remake :roll:
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3899
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby bhall » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Saw this on Netflix without having read/heard a review. Brutal and brilliant. Probably the best film I've seen since The Lives of Others.
bhall
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby bad hammy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:42 pm

jeremyp wrote:
bad hammy wrote:The Curmudgeon Book Reviewer is bucking the crowd. Dragon tattoo girl book was a marginal story, no characters of real interest, amateurish writing.
Yeah I agree. I whipped through it (the girl who played with fire)in a couple of days and found it basic trash writing, but the Lisbeth character rivetting. Without her it's not much.

On the other hand, with a good screenwriter it will probably be made into a blockbuster movie. Also, the details of Sweden were interesting.


If I'm reading the figures correctly on mbd looks like it made 182 mill in Sweden and Denmark. Not bad for 2 smallish countries (15 mill pop?). The key will be the Salander character, and whether they can find one as good as the Swede( Noomi Rapace).

Saw the movie yesterday - the wife and I loved it. Still has an implausible plotline or two, but is far far better than the book. Not convinced at all that a separate Hollywood version is needed - this movie was very well done.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Giant Panda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:21 am

Usually these Hollywood remakes of good foreign films are fairly redundant but since they hired David Fincher there's a pretty good chance he'll surpass the original. Whatever he brings to the project will probably be visual ideas that would have surfaced in some other film he could have done anyway along similar themes, and if helming a franchise pays for him to do his own pet projects, good. This is win win to be honest, because it's not like the original film isn't readily available to anyone who wants to see it. And it's not like that film is an original screenplay in any case. I suppose an interesting question is will Fincher and the studio want to remake the existing film, or come up with their own adaptation of the book from scratch. In which case, will they work from original text, or the English translation? So you could argue they're adaptations of different books anyway. I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone has a preference for watching a drama in their native language, it means they can get the full gist of the performances better. And I doubt anyone in the UK or USA read the book in Swedish. Why are we okay with translations of books but not films? Weird. I can almost see an argument for not having subtitles. If you want to watch a foreign film, watch it in the original language, and without text cluttering up the photography.
Giant Panda
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 am

Giant Panda wrote: I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone has a preference for watching a drama in their native language, it means they can get the full gist of the performances better. And I doubt anyone in the UK or USA read the book in Swedish. Why are we okay with translations of books but not films?
I'm not sure what you mean by translating a film? Are you talking about going back to dubbing? God forbid.
I can almost see an argument for not having subtitles. If you want to watch a foreign film, watch it in the original language, and without text cluttering up the photography.
And understand it how? 75% of the movies I watch via Netflix have subtitles. 95% of these movies will never be remade by Hollywood. All they need to do with subtitles is use their brains and keep them yellow for a white background.

As to the remake of this particular series it makes sense as the vast majority of American viewers will not go to a movie with subtitles. Some of it's the difficulty they have with multi tasking, but much of it's due to bias, pure and simple. To make my point on this latter issue: In my condo we have a movie night. The vast majority will not watch a foreign movie with subtitles but will insist that they watch American movies with captions, due to their hearing impairment.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:08 am

jeremyp wrote:the vast majority of American viewers will not go to a movie with subtitles.

Even the TOE hates sub-titles. I want to be immersed in the story, not reading the script with the actors. On the other hand, I do like it when American movies let 'foreigners' talk in their native tongue, and we see the translation on screen. For that reason I had no trouble with Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ in Aramaic or Klingons talking Klingon! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Daisy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 am

Marlow wrote:I want to be immersed in the story, not reading the script with the actors.

I hardly notice reading subtitles and usually get as immersed in the story as if the film was in English. I find I have the same experience reading a novel too.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby jeremyp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:I want to be immersed in the story, not reading the script with the actors.

I hardly notice reading subtitles and usually get as immersed in the story as if the film was in English. I find I have the same experience reading a novel too.


Ditto! Wait until Marlow needs hearing aids!
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm

jeremyp wrote:Wait until Marlow needs hearing aids!

What?!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The girl with the dragon tattoo

Postby bad hammy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 pm

All things being equal I prefer to avoid subtitles, but not to the the point where I am watching the movie dubbed (horrible) or not watching it. The only problem I run into is occasionally they switch out subtitles before I am done reading them - can't move my lips fast enough . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests