Sarah Palin

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby Daisy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:46 pm

gm wrote:Yes, I absolutely make my voting decisions on who is the smoothest talker.

Who mentioned smooth talking, I think the key thing was that she could not think on her feet. That demonstrates a lack of knowledge.
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 pm

Pego wrote:Sarah Palin has been the least qualified VP candidate since Dan Quayle. Not a Satan, just an incompetent ideologue. Any attempt to justify her qualifications is no more than a political spin.

Dan Quayle was never that bad. Certainly, he was inarticulate, but he did go on Meet the Press for the full hour without incident. Palin avoided Meet the Press like the plague, and if elected, she would have been the first Vice President to be elected without at least one Meet the Press appearance in the history of the show.
jazzcyclist

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Last edited by Cooter Brown on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter Brown

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:16 pm

The post above is NOT FUNNY and should be pulled.
dukehjsteve

Postby bad hammy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:The post above is NOT FUNNY and should be pulled.

Actually, it is very funny.
bad hammy

Postby Marlow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm sorry - I laughed out loud!
Marlow

Postby mojo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:51 pm

bad hammy wrote:

Actually, it is very funny.

My biggest laugh of the day, no make that the week....possibly this month...nice one CB!
mojo

Postby pickle47 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:27 am

Thank you, Brian. Electability. A democratic government bows to the will of the people, theoretically, at the ballot box. (Get to Congress and the democatic effect drops like a boat anchor) Therefore, unlike the hiring of a proven CEO to run a large company, we get a popularity contest that is pulled in a thousand different directions by the desires and fickle sensibilities of the electorate. We are fortunate if the electable one is also the able one.

I have always been uncomfortable with the fact that one must necessarily compromise one's beliefs/ideals/principles/INTEGRITY to be elected or, more commonly, stay in office. Representative government on this scale brings power to the person in office, and that is something very, very few people can handle.

Flawed human nature brings the evil into the necessary evil that is politics. No, I don't have a better alternative, at least on this planet at this time.

But the Second Coming is coming...
pickle47

Postby gh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:11 am

Unfortunately for Palin, the end is in 2011, not 2012:

http://74.255.56.30/blog/?p=18
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:50 am

Palin's selection for VP by the Republican Party and/or John McCain was a huge Political Blunder. For every Core Republican or Female vote she gained or solidified, she lost well more than that by Independent voters that were anywhere from puzzled to incredulous that she was selected. His age, her inexperience... made a deadly combo.
You thinking Republicans out there ( and there are some) admit it, at least to yourselves.... you blew it with her selection. And she'll run like a dry creek if she tries for 2012.
dukehjsteve

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:01 am

I dunno, Steve, the D's ran a senile old man as VP and an inexperienced boob in the top spot and it seemed to work out ok for them. Maybe the R's should have switched the order...
gm

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:22 am

gm wrote:I dunno, Steve, the D's ran a senile old man as VP and an inexperienced boob in the top spot and it seemed to work out ok for them. Maybe the R's should have switched the order...

It's delusional to compare Palin to Biden or Obama. As a matter of fact she's not even in Dan Quayle's league. But I hope that the base of the Republican party continues to think that she's fit to be President as you obviously do. Palin is the future of the Democratic party and I hope she dominates Republican party politics for a long time. At least lonewolf chose Mitt Romney as the best choice for leader of the party and I can live with that. But Palin? :roll:
jazzcyclist

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:25 am

Don't put words in my mouth, bubs. I never said any of the four "major" candidates were suitable. Just a comment on the marketing strategy of senile people and boobs.
gm

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:30 am

gm wrote:Don't put words in my mouth, bubs. I never said any of the four "major" candidates were suitable. Just a comment on the marketing strategy of senile people and boobs.

Did you not imply that Palin was as suitable for the Oval Office as Obama and Biden?
jazzcyclist

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
gm wrote:Don't put words in my mouth, bubs. I never said any of the four "major" candidates were suitable. Just a comment on the marketing strategy of senile people and boobs.

Did you not imply that Palin was as suitable for the Oval Office as Obama and Biden?

All four were equally unsuitable. Terrible choices.
gm

Postby 502CD » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am

I always think its kind of laughable to think there's any real difference between the R's and D's. Both are only interested in two things: Power and getting re-elected. They're only interested in helping themselves and their friends. Neither could care less about doing what's right for the country. And both have proven they're not capable of having full control over everything. That's just my opinion.
502CD

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am

gm wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

All four were equally unsuitable. Terrible choices.

The fact that you would put Palin on the same level as Obama, Biden and McCain says a lot about your judgment.
jazzcyclist

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:05 am

Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs and senile fools, feel free. It's every American's right, and well over 110 million exercised that right last year. Sorry to stomp all over your messiah.
gm

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 am

gm wrote:Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs and senile fools, feel free. It's every American's right, and well over 110 million exercised that right last year. Sorry to stomp all over your messiah.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:08 pm

gm wrote:Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs

Didn't do it. Wouldn't be prudent. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:10 pm

gm wrote:Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs and senile fools, feel free. It's every American's right, and well over 110 million exercised that right last year. Sorry to stomp all over your messiah.

Would you care to tell us who your messiah was? I doubt it.
Pego

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:28 pm

gm wrote:Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs and senile fools, feel free. It's every American's right, and well over 110 million exercised that right last year. Sorry to stomp all over your **messiah.**

Well, we now know gm's radio listening habits.

:]

But there is an actual cause/effect thing going on here: Compared to the guy in charge the past 8 years, Obama very well may seem like Jesus Christ to some people.

[And some would argue even Daffy Duck would seem so, too, in comparison.]
Brian

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm

lonewolf wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:There is a regular poster on this board, who shall remain nameless, who actually said to me in a pm that Palin was more qualified to be President than Obama and John Kerry. :!: :shock:

I don't know who Jazzcyclist is referring to but I will up the ante. ANYONE on this board is more qualified to be President of the United States and would do less damage than Barach Hussein Obama.
There, I said it. No smiley.
Gee, that felt good :)

Yea, it really is a shame we don't have a President who will go to war just because he feels like it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Brian wrote:
gm wrote:Hey, you want to vote for incompetent boobs and senile fools, feel free. It's every American's right, and well over 110 million exercised that right last year. Sorry to stomp all over your **messiah.**

But there is an actual cause/effect thing going on here: Compared to the guy in charge the past 8 years, Obama very well may seem like Jesus Christ to some people.

My radio listening habits? I guess maybe in the peaceful music I tune in to there might be subliminal messages. I'll check next time.

And Pego, in my life there was and is only one Messiah, and He was not a politician.
gm

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:08 pm

No one brought up anything about the Messiah. This thread is about Sarah Palin, and what I don't understand how anyone can defend John McCain's selection of her the way you have.
gm wrote:I dunno, Steve, the D's ran a senile old man as VP and an inexperienced boob in the top spot and it seemed to work out ok for them. Maybe the R's should have switched the order...

Furthermore, you actually believe that she was as prepared to be President as Obama, McCain and Biden. :roll: I would suggest in the future that if you're going to slam Obama and Biden, don't simultaneously defend Palin.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:29 pm

gm wrote:
Brian wrote:

My radio listening habits? I guess maybe in the peaceful music I tune in to there might be subliminal messages. I'll check next time.

And Pego, in my life there was and is only one Messiah, and He was not a politician.

Nice attempt to avoid the question. You used the term "messiah" for my voting preference. So, let's drop the word for now, whom did you vote for?
Pego

Postby gm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Did a write-in for the fifth time in a row.

Neither "major" party does anything for me at all, no inspiration, just the same old crap wrapped in a different package.

I can't imagine wearing a shirt in public with ANY politician's name or picture on it. They are our employees, and for the most part they do a pretty lousy job.

But I still think we have the best worst system in the world.
gm

Postby Pego » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:25 pm

gm wrote:Did a write-in for the fifth time in a row.

Neither "major" party does anything for me at all, no inspiration, just the same old crap wrapped in a different package.

I can't imagine wearing a shirt in public with ANY politician's name or picture on it. They are our employees, and for the most part they do a pretty lousy job.

Whom did you write in?
Pego

Postby mrbowie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:28 pm

As a left-wing member of the Democratic party, I hope that the reason Palin quit was to prepare to run for the presidency in 2012, because that will be a sure way of continuing the progress our party had made of late. She is unquestionably the living example of a one-dimensional politician that will spout whatever she is told. She makes Ronnie Reagan look like a genuine intellectual. And that's saying something, because he was every bit the puppet that Howdy Doody was.
mrbowie

Postby tandfman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 am

gh wrote:I know two generally apolitical women who hadn't registered to vote in 20-odd years and both did last year, both because they said, "I couldn't live with myself if that woman were elected to national office."

And I know an intelligent regular voter who swears she would have voted for McCain but for his choice of Palin as a running mate. To me, that just confirmed an obvious decision. There was no way I was going to vote for anyone representing the party that had given us W.
tandfman

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 am

lonewolf wrote: ANYONE on this board is more qualified to be President of the United States and would do less damage than Barach Hussein Obama.

Eldrick for President!!! :shock:
Flumpy

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Pego wrote:
gm wrote:Did a write-in for the fifth time in a row.

Whom did you write in?

Gm, the Free Speech weekend is coming to the end and you, as I thought, chose not to answer my question. I know, you'll read this, so a couple of comments.
You have made it a routine to criticize/attack the political establishment, especially the politicians you consider corrupt, "liberal" or immoral. Yet, you never offer any alternatives. Let this immigrant from a communist country offer you a civics lesson. Participatory democracy only works when people participate. Especially informed, intelligent, educated people as yourself. Writing in some "candidate", who has not got a prayer to be elected is not participation. Sometimes (commonly) we have to pick a lesser evil. I have held my nose voting numerous times.
Under communism, we had to go and vote, it was compulsive, you'd put your ass on line if you didn't. You had no choice. You went, dropped the official ballot in the box and left. Here, it is your privilege. The major reason for my immigration here was the First Ammendment. I have not missed an election (any, rinky dink local ones) in 33 years since gaining the citizenship.
Well, this is my free speech allowed be the mods this great weekend. I do appreciate it.
Pego

Postby gm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Well, Pego, I respect the hell out of you for coming to this country for the reasons you stated. I completely disagree with you about the idea that voting for a "no-hoper" is not participation. That's the beauty of this country -- I can vote pretty much for whoever the hell I want, without fear that the authorities will come by the house and shoot me.

The wonderful First Amendment also allows me to tell you that it's really none of your damn business who I voted for.

I vote locally for the candidates who I think will best do the things we need on a local basis. They are pretty much non-partisan choices.

At the national level? LBJ was the last president who I think did what really needed to be done, and I was too young to vote back then. I liked Reagan and voted for him in my first two elections, which I am sure makes me a figure of ridicule to most here, but since then the top-tier candidates have been incredibly poor.

By the way, some of us work and travel this weekend, and weren't able to immediately answer message board pokes.
gm

Re: Sarah Palin

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Notice she hasn't said "Drill, baby, drill" much these days...!

Brian

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 am

Putting her politics aside, does anyone else find her presentation completely annoying, the squeaky voice, the you betcha. It may be shallow but IF i agreed with everything out of her mouth, which i dont, she is still "fingers on the chalkboard".
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 am

Her "appeal", on any level, completely eludes me.
kuha

Postby rasb » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 am

I would like to spend 1 night with Sarah. But only if she kept her mouth closed.....
Wait, let me rephrase that ---- only if she didn't speak :)
We could just sit, and watch her view of Russia. I assume she lives at the top of a 500 story highrise, and has telescopic vision.
rasb

Postby rasb » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:16 am

And I love to see any kind of debate on issues/policies/priorities of the USA, between Obama and anyone on this forum. Can I watch and listen, please?
rasb

Postby Daisy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:52 am

How much money has Palin made from speaking engagements? That alone would seem to be a good reason for her to continue in politics. She has an audience and they're happy to throw money at her for the performance.
Daisy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Putting her politics aside, does anyone else find her presentation completely annoying, the squeaky voice, the you betcha. It may be shallow but IF i agreed with everything out of her mouth, which i dont, she is still "fingers on the chalkboard".

During the Vice presidential debate she winked at the camera and gave a 'shout out' to some school children.

Any chance she had of me giving her the benefit of the doubt, ended right there and then.
Flumpy

PreviousNext