HBO's next big hit?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

HBO's next big hit?

Postby gh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

<<....After delivering arguably the best television series ever made in "The Wire," the reward for its creator David Simon shouldn't be to saddle him with the expectation that he can top it....>>

But then the reviewer gave it top possible rating. This is Treme

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0lEBROVGg
gh

Re: HBO's next big hit?

Postby TrakFan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 am

I saw the first episode and wasn't blown away, ala Tru Blood. I plan to stick it out since it could be a slow burner
TrakFan

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:24 am

I canceled on HBO when they pulled Deadwood for no good reason.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 am

Didn't David Milch bear some of the blame for deciding to move on with his whacked-out John From Cincinnati rather than work with HBO?

At any rate, has def. been a couple of years since I saw anything really worth watching on the once-great HBO.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 am

gh wrote:Didn't David Milch bear some of the blame for deciding to move on with his whacked-out John From Cincinnati rather than work with HBO?

At any rate, has def. been a couple of years since I saw anything really worth watching on the once-great HBO.

It was Milch who bears a lot of the blame for his poor decision, but as you say, there wasn't much to watch on HBO anymore.

Deadwood was a wonderful series, more interesting than the Sopranos, in my opinion, which had run its course by the time it ended.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 am

and when they prematurely terminated Rome around the same time I was none too happy either.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 am

gh wrote:and when they prematurely terminated Rome around the same time I was none too happy either.

Yes, another good series.
Conor Dary

Postby mump boy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

i love Deadwood, never had much of a clue what was going on but the characters and the acting where superb
mump boy

Postby gh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Treme will not be one-and-done... they announced today (after only one episode had aired) that they've already ordered up a second season.
gh

Postby 7-sided » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm

TrakFan wrote:I saw the first episode and wasn't blown away, ala Tru Blood. I plan to stick it out since it could be a slow burner

... that could have been said about the first episode of "The Wire" as well - and "The Wire" was hands down the best series I have ever watched on TV. Every character a hero and a villain; no easy answers or solutions. (Simon nailed the street vernacular - and accents, on occasion- of Baltimore, along with the abject ineffectiveness of the organizations "designed" to help)

If "Treme" turns out to be half as good, it's worth it to follow along.
7-sided

Postby Giant Panda » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 am

Milch has a new show in production with HBO called Luck. It will be directed by Michael Mann and stars Dustin Hoffman. It's about gambling on horses. Supposedly it's an idea he's been working on for 35 years and based on personal experience. So that might be good. If not, HBO has another drama about gambling called Boardwalk Empire that's supposed to start this year. That one's written by former Sopranos co-writer Terence Winter, starring Steve Buscemi and directed by Martin Scorsese. So hopefully they're getting back to where they used to be.

Cancelling Deadwood was unforgivable, even if the third year lagged. Cancelling Carnivale wasn't much better either. There was talk of a couple of TV movies to wrap Deadwood up, but they ain't happening. I think historically there was a big fire in the town, so it's a shame, as that could have been interesting.

I think the final seasons of The Wire and The Sopranos were as strong as any they did.
Giant Panda

Postby jeremyp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

The guys who do Treme did "The Wire," and that started slow too, although I hear this on'e about N.O. Jazz.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun May 16, 2010 6:45 pm

It should come as no surprise that I've been following Treme from the beginning. I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of musicians who are playing themselves. Needless to say, I know a lot of these guys, some of they very well, having been in their weddings. HBO did a good job of getting the subtleties right, and the snooty attitude that serious south Louisiana jazz men have about playing on Bourbon Street really hit home. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single gig that any of my friends has ever done on Bourbon Street, or at least they didn't tell me about it.
jazzcyclist

Postby TrakFan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Season two just concluded -- a great series full of interesting stories, strong characters, and talent that's unique and local New Orleans. I'm already looking forward to season three.
TrakFan

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:15 pm

TrakFan wrote:Season two just concluded -- a great series full of interesting stories, strong characters, and talent that's unique and local New Orleans. I'm already looking forward to season three.

C'mon Netflix! :?
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 pm

The Oliver Thomas bit was surreal. HBO actually waited for him to get out of prison so that he could play himself during the time frame right before he went to prison. Does anyone know of any other convicted felon who was given an acting role playing himself/herself?
jazzcyclist

Postby TrakFan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:17 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: Does anyone know of any other convicted felon who was given an acting role playing himself/herself?

If Charles S. Dutton ever plays himself in a movie... Until then, I can't think of any
TrakFan

Postby TrakFan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm

It's back...
so-so stories, but typical, strong characters and acting to open up this current season.
TrakFan