Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Conor Dary wrote:72! man that is HOT!

Which reminds me of a amusing story. A friend went to China last spring. He was out in a T-shirt enjoying a warm day. One comment he got, this fellow was still wearing his winter coat, "but what are you going to wear when it's summer!"

Pego wrote:I got used to thinking in the Fahrenheit scale a lot quicker than the imperial measurements.

And yes, I also like Windows 7.

I see. You old farts all stick together. :roll: :twisted:
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

The debate continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/scien ... imate.html

Headline: U.N. Climate Panel and Chief Face Credibility Siege
tandfman

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:54 am

10-20 inches of snow and blizzard conditions starting here tonite and continuing thru Thurs morn.

Squack is taking Wed. off work. Will be home recording music and drinking beer and watching movies! :D Many others taking day off.

Work place will be a Ghost town, tumble weeds have already been seen in the parts of the building. :P
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 am

While I am firmly in the camp of those who believe "climate change/global warming" is a naturally re-occuring event, unaffected and unopposable by man, I also believe the unusal amount of snow this winter neither refutes nor reinforces climate change.
It happens. You can average temperature and precipitation and if a year happens to hit the average, it just happens to hit the average. No year is normal
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 am

Lonewolf, there is a big difference between challenging the existence of climate change and not being convinced it is caused by man's activity.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:31 am

Daisy wrote:Lonewolf, there is a big difference between challenging the existence of climate change and not being convinced it is caused by man's activity.

I think the term climate change is a little sneaky. The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

I do understand that the Earth can have global warming in its future but still suffer some cold spells along the way. But long term the only real threat being argued is warming, correct?
SQUACKEE

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 am

SQUACKEE wrote:The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

Not the climate but the average global temperature. Local weather will change in a less predictable way.

One thing I read is that in the global warming model the arctic air is more likely to head south. That means we might all be freezing but the arctic is relatively balmy. Hence, the global average temperature could be still be higher even while we freeze our butts off.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 am

Daisy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:The only change we have been told we have to worry about is the climate eventually getting warmer, not colder.

Not the climate but the average global temperature. Local weather will change in a less predictable way.

One thing I read is that in the global warming model the arctic air is more likely to head south. That means we might all be freezing but the arctic is relatively balmy. Hence, the global average temperature could be still be higher even while we freeze our butts off.

Thanx Daisy, that explains a lot.
SQUACKEE

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 am

Daisy wrote:

Not the climate but the average global temperature.

http://tinyurl.com/q82h8b
guru

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am

How does he explain all the melting glaciers? Except those in PA of course.

Ice melts. Glaciers are always calving. This is what ice does. If ice did not melt, we'd have an ice-covered planet. The fact is that the ice cover is growing in the southern hemisphere even as the ice cover is more or less shrinking in the northern hemisphere. As you and I are talking today, global sea ice coverage is about 400,000 square kilometers above the long-term average - which means that the surplus in the Antarctic is greater than the deficit in the Arctic.

So ALL the glaciers melting is not a problem? Seems like this guy is hoping that a cooling antarctica is going to save us. Does this sound normal to you?
Daisy

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 am

Daisy wrote:How does he explain all the melting glaciers?

Did you read it completely?

I know you think there's been something of a hysteria in the media about melting glaciers. Could you explain?

Ice melts. Glaciers are always calving. This is what ice does. If ice did not melt, we'd have an ice-covered planet. The fact is that the ice cover is growing in the southern hemisphere even as the ice cover is more or less shrinking in the northern hemisphere. As you and I are talking today, global sea ice coverage is about 400,000 square kilometers above the long-term average - which means that the surplus in the Antarctic is greater than the deficit in the Arctic.
guru

Postby Pego » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 am

lonewolf wrote:While I am firmly in the camp of those who believe "climate change/global warming" is a naturally re-occuring event, unaffected and unopposable by man, I also believe the unusal amount of snow this winter neither refutes nor reinforces climate change.
It happens. You can average temperature and precipitation and if a year happens to hit the average, it just happens to hit the average. No year is normal

This position, while not agreeing with, I can appreciate. Those that deny a climate change is occurring is plain lunacy.
Pego

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

Daisy wrote:So ALL the glaciers melting is not a problem? Seems like this guy is hoping that a cooling antarctica is going to save us. Does this sound normal to you?

The guy is a highly respected scientist, with no agenda, and with no financial conflicts of interest. His points regarding how climate data is traditionally collected(and how ever-increasing development skews those numbers) are valid and make sense.
guru

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 am

Pego wrote:This position, while not agreeing with, I can appreciate. Those that deny a climate change is occurring is plain lunacy.

There has never been one time in the 4.54 billion year history of the Earth when the climate was not changing. Facts should not be debated.
SQUACKEE

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 am

guru

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 am

guru wrote:
Daisy wrote:So ALL the glaciers melting is not a problem? Seems like this guy is hoping that a cooling antarctica is going to save us. Does this sound normal to you?

The guy is a highly respected scientist, with no agenda, and with no financial conflicts of interest. His points regarding how climate data is traditionally collected(and how ever-increasing development skews those numbers) are valid and make sense.

Well if he wants to talk about the details and exact figures, fair enough. But if he wants to say that there is no global warming problem, shouldn't he fit all the data into his argument?

I just read that wiki bio. He agrees there is global warming. What is your point here guru?
Daisy

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 am

Daisy wrote:I just read that wiki bio. He agrees there is global warming. What is your point here guru?

I've never said there's not global warming. But it's certaainly not the catastrophy in waiting as advertised, and the data being presented to back that view is flawed. That is his point as well(with a helluva lot more gravitas than I have).
guru

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am

Daisy wrote:I just read that wiki bio. He agrees there is global warming. What is your point here guru?

I think his point is that there is global warming but New York city wont be under water in 30 years.
SQUACKEE

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

My only point has been do not doubt there IS global warming. It is clear the consequences for civilization are less predictable. But it is not something to ignore. It's so easy to spend all ones times criticising the details and miss the elephant on the room.
Daisy

Postby lonewolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 am

Daisy wrote:Lonewolf, there is a big difference between challenging the existence of climate change and not being convinced it is caused by man's activity.

I am not challenging climate change. It happens continually. I am convinced man is insignificant, one way or the other. Some disagree.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:42 am

Daisy wrote:[That means we might all be freezing but the arctic is relatively balmy. Hence, the global average temperature could be still be higher even while we freeze our butts off.

Exactly! Weather is local. Average don't mean squat. It is gonna happen and there ain't nuthin we can do to cause it or stop it. imo.
lonewolf

Postby donley2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Record single calendar day (as opposed to 24 hour period) snow of 9.4 inches at Dallas-Fort Worth airport today as of 9:00 tonight and it is still snowing. I have lived here 25 years and pretty sure I have never seen more than 2 or 3 inches in a day.
donley2

Postby Marlow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 am

Weather forecast for some areas in Florida today . . . . snow! :shock:
Where's global warning when ya need it? I didn't move hear to deal with that nasty stuff! Where's my parka - haven't seen it since we moved here in 1993! :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 am

Marlow wrote:Where's global warning when ya need it? I didn't move hear to deal with that nasty stuff!

Has one of Marlow's students hijacked his login details?
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:Where's global warning when ya need it? I didn't move hear to deal with that nasty stuff!

It looks like i hijacked it, but even i know its here not hear! :shock:

The difference between us is im not teaching english! :lol:
SQUACKEE

Postby donley2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 am

donley2 wrote:Record single calendar day (as opposed to 24 hour period) snow of 9.4 inches at Dallas-Fort Worth airport today as of 9:00 tonight and it is still snowing. I have lived here 25 years and pretty sure I have never seen more than 2 or 3 inches in a day.

We shattered all previous single day and 24 hour records with 11.2 inches before midnight and 12.5 in 24 hours. Had a great snowball fight with the kids though.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=PNSFWD
donley2

Postby gh » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:12 am

Have a friend who lives in the hills between Monaco and Nice; yesterday she couldn't get to her house even in a 4x4 there was so much snow!
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:Where's global warning when ya need it? I didn't move hear (sic(k)) to deal with that nasty stuff!

It looks like i hijacked it, but even i know its here not hear! :shock:
The difference between us is im not teaching english! :lol:

Homophones R Us! :D
Jest so's ya no, eye ain't bean a hippocrypt wen ah spel rong, ei rairley teak off poynts fer mispelins cuz disleksics cant spel nohow noway aniweigh, and I gots em. Cumpooters gots spelckek fer that!
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 am

Marlow wrote:Cumpooters gots spelckek fer that!

You have one for homophones?

"Global warning" is not really a homophone, is there another word for that, similar to a freudian slip?
Daisy

weather or not

Postby Bijan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 am

12" of snow in Dallas. Mobile and Pensacola got some 'fall. BWI-Marshall Airport (Balt.) has 80" this winter, DC has received six feet of snow, averages 15" per winter.

Washington had a 16" snowstorm bef. Xmas, 30" last weekend, and 12"-21" more this Tues/Wed. Mail hasn't been delivered all week, colleges were closed (Howard only one open today, two hours late), no school here or surrounding jurisdic. since last week.
Bijan

Postby Marlow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am

Daisy wrote:"Global warning" is not really a homophone, is there another word for that, similar to a freudian slip?

yes, it's called a . . . pun. :D
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 am

Marlow wrote:
Daisy wrote:"Global warning" is not really a homophone, is there another word for that, similar to a freudian slip?

So you're saying it was intentional!!! Likely story. :twisted:
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

So you're saying it was intentional!!! Likely story. :twisted:

But, but, but, I am . . . The TOE!!
Marlow

Snow Daze

Postby Bijan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 am

It's not just f/ Minnesota any more. 49 states have had snowfall this season.
Bijan

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 am

From that rag The Times owned by the lefty Rupert Murdoch,

"95 per cent chance that Man is to blame for global warming, say scientists"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e ... 050341.ece
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am

This is probably a good time to mention that a lot of people confuse weather and climate. Weather is short-term and local, climate is longterm and far-reaching.

In other words, unusual snow (or heat, or anything) probably means absolutely nothing relative to climate.
gh

Postby tandfman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:48 am

I am sure that that point has been made at least once (probably more) in the 500+ preceding posts, but you're right--it's always worth mentioning. It's often mis-understood.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:01 am

tandfman wrote:I am sure that that point has been made at least once (probably more) in the 500+ preceding posts, but you're right--it's always worth mentioning. It's often mis-understood.

But then again, anyone who confuses the two is so out of touch with the issues here that telling them that is pointless.
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:I am sure that that point has been made at least once (probably more) in the 500+ preceding posts, but you're right--it's always worth mentioning. It's often mis-understood.

But then again, anyone who confuses the two is so out of touch with the issues here that telling them that is pointless.

So you don't believe in teaching moments?
Daisy

Postby kuha » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Daisy wrote:
Marlow wrote:

So you don't believe in teaching moments?

I believe in dunce caps for those that refuse to be taught. I wonder if there are enough to go around?
kuha

PreviousNext