Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Postby Daisy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 am

tandfman wrote:They're changing the diet of cows so they belch less methane.

It's the methane trapped in the permafrost that might be the biggest problem with regard to a positive feedback loop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/opini ... ugman.html

(Note that Krugman says it CO2 from the permafrost, but I think he means methane)
Daisy

Postby DrJay » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Record lows today in Colorado, 17F in Denver, old record was 25F in 1905. Freezing fog/mist all day. Right now it's 23F in the Springs, usual high for the date is 66F. In fact, today's high temp is about equal to the record low for the date (23F)!
DrJay

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 pm

This needed a bump. I was just rereading through it. Good to see MJD active. And I had completely forgotten about Figo's passion on this topic.

Not to mention the biggest flameout in board history. :shock:

figo wrote:
gh wrote:
figo wrote:http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/04/07/ap3591203.html

Global Warming
By CAIN BURDEAU 04.07.07, 12:28 AM ET

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Figo--what part of that last (which was in your original post, which I cut 99% of) do you not undestand? Continue posting these articles in toto and you're banned. Period.

gh
fuck off
i'm done.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 am

nevetsllim wrote:I've had the most utterly depressing 48hrs at Charles de Gaulle airport. I had one cancelled flight to Bristol with Easyjet on Dec 20 and they said they wouldn't fly out again until the 23rd or 24th. Then I paid 300 euros for a flight to Exeter, which they told us was cancelled at midnight and after spending a night in hideous terminal one, I was put on a flight to Southampton on the 21st at 9pm, which was delayed by about three hours. By the time we got on the flight at circa midnight, they told us Southampton airport was shut and we would be diverted to Cardiff! I eventually arrived in Cardiff at 1.30am and had to wait more than an hour for a shuttle from Cardiff to Exeter, then my Granddad very kindly collected me from Exeter airport at circa 6am this morning.

So instead of arriving home on mid-afternoon on December 20, I eventually got home about 42-hours late! So much bloody hassle for a routine one hour flight!

Traveling sucks, traveling in the winter? Super sucks.

My friend was asked to drive an old lady down to the New York airport on Sunday. I told him i heard that because of the recent snow , flights were gonna be 2-3 days late. I made the mistake of saying IF she got a flight i would go with him on the 3 hour drfive like a good friend should.

To my shock, she said she had a 7pm flight. I begged him to make sure she really did have a flight because i didnt mind spending my day off helping an old women but if she doesnt actually ly out im gonna be pissed.

We were assured her flight was on. Drove her down, dropped her off and found out monday morning she called a car to take her back home- no flight! :x
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby DrJay » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Hope lonewolf has some good books, and a woodburning stove and candles, just in case. Merry Christmas down there!
DrJay

Postby kuha » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Yes, Oklahoma City looks like it really got whacked. It will be bad through most of the Midwest...
kuha

Postby tlb747 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:55 pm

kuha wrote:Yes, Oklahoma City looks like it really got whacked. It will be bad through most of the Midwest...

And I plan on traveling to Chicago this weekend.
tlb747

Postby lonewolf » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:54 pm

DrJay wrote:Hope lonewolf has some good books, and a woodburning stove and candles, just in case. Merry Christmas down there!

Thanks for the concern. I have all the above. I also have a four foot snow drift on the patio blocking my back door from the garage. What I don't have is a snow shovel. :(
The real crisis is, I am the long standing designated toy opener/assembler for 4 and 8 year old grandsons at daylight tomorrow morning seven miles cross town.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:02 am

I am in Green Bay. My car outside is a block of ice. It will be some work to thaw it out tomorrow to get home 90 miles away.
Pego

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:04 am

Connecticut is clear, sunny and mild. We are driving to x-mas dinner later so thats good.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby observer2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Minus 44 C or minus 47 F (edit) is the temperaure expected in the part of Scandinaia where I am right now....

Think I should try to find a nice pub where I can spend a couple of days

Maybe a pub like this english pub:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/807757-pub- ... r-new-year

(global warming is not the subject for discussions here right now... ) :lol:
Last edited by observer2 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
observer2

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 pm

observer2 wrote:44 C or 110 F is the temperaure expected in the part of Scandinaia where I am
right now....

You can drink in a sauna?
jeremyp

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm

COLD IS A RELATIVE THING. ...

65 above zero:
Floridians turn on the heat.
People in Minnesota plant gardens.

60 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Minnesota sunbathe.

50 above zero:
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Minnesota drive with the windows down..

40 above zero:
Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

35 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.

20 above Zero People in Miami all die.
Minnesotans close the windows.

Zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico .
People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.

10 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

20 below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
People in Minnesota let the dogs sleep indoors.

30 below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the Snow-mobile.

40 below zero :
ALL atomic motion stops .
People in Minnesota start saying... "Cold enough fer ya? "

50 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.
tandfman

Postby observer2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm

jeremyp wrote:
observer2 wrote:44 C or minus 47 F (edit) is the temperaure expected in the part of Scandinaia where I am right now....

You can drink in a sauna?

Yes, In a sauna is also a great place to have a beer

Skiing can wait I guess. 8-) ..
observer2

Postby JRM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:29 pm

tandfman wrote: Zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico .

Heh. Californians can't handle 50F weather, let alone anything lower. I always laugh when the weather forecasters come on and tell me it's going to be "cold", "frigid", need gloves and scarves, etc... when the temperature drops below 60. Then I get really irate when they tell me the temperature will shoot back up to the mid/high-70s, and it's good because we "need" that warm weather (as if we don't get enough of it the other 300 days of the year).
JRM

Postby Pego » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:31 pm

tandfman wrote:50 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

This is better.

Absolute zero.
Hell freezes over.
The Vikings win the Super Bowl.
Pego

Postby tlb747 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 pm

JRM wrote:Heh. Californians can't handle 50F weather, let alone anything lower. I always laugh when the weather forecasters come on and tell me it's going to be "cold", "frigid", need gloves and scarves, etc... when the temperature drops below 60. Then I get really irate when they tell me the temperature will shoot back up to the mid/high-70s, and it's good because we "need" that warm weather (as if we don't get enough of it the other 300 days of the year).

I wonder what Northern Califonians (Sierra Nevada Mountains) do at this time of the year. It is dropping into the 20's and 10's as lows for the next few day here (Gulfport, Mississippi).
tlb747

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, RECORD colds from the Dakotas to Arkansas to southern Florida! Where's all this Global Warming I've heard so much about?! 8-)
Marlow

Postby Dutra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Weather guy in Tampa put up the 5 day forecast, told us that we might get a mixture of sleet and snow overnight tomorrow.

He also pointed out that the station was using the "wintery mix" icon and that he not only hadn't used it in fifteen years down here but wasn't even aware that the icon existed.
Dutra

Postby rasb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Marlow wrote:Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, RECORD colds from the Dakotas to Arkansas to southern Florida! Where's all this Global Warming I've heard so much about?! 8-)

Perhaps in the Arctic? Where,

1) Ice free travel across the North of our Continent has happened for the first time in our recorded history, and shipping companies are taking a serious look at using that route, the fabled "Northwest Passage".
2) One of the latest freeze-ups occurred, almost a month later than "usual",
much to the chagrin of the Natives, and the Polar Bears, who were cannibalizing their young, because they had no ice from which to hunt the seals.
3) It was warmer there on January 4th, than most of the USA, probably including parts of Florida...
rasb

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 am

I'm bummed. I'm in Florida. It's raining, it's in the 40's. That means: no shorts, no T Shirt, and worst of all, no sandals! Then I have to go to a movie that still has the air conditioning on. Still, watching Emily Blunt might warm me up, even if she's playing a queen.
jeremyp

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 am

Weather is crazy:
Today January 11th:

Northern Scandinavia - North of the Arctic Circle: 6 degrees C

Southern Scandinavia, 1500 miles south:: 6 degrees below zero
observer2

Postby Pelpa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 am

Its been averaging 19 degrees here (66 F) in Ja. and man are we freezing our butts off. Something about stationary front off the north coast. This is just unusal and weird. On the way to work everyone was wearing jackets and coats.

We did our normal 26/28 (78/82) go ?
Pelpa

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 am

OT (?): Is the Fahreheit scale on it´s way out also in the US?

For example, when we watch CNN in Europe the weather/temperature is presented with Celsius grades and I appreciate that :)
observer2

Postby donley2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 am

observer2 wrote:OT (?): Is the Fahreheit scale on it´s way out also in the US?

I have seen zero evidence to suggest it is on it's way out.
donley2

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:31 am

donley2 wrote:I have seen zero evidence to suggest it is on it's way out.

Agreed. The Celsius scale is used as much as the Kelvin scale in the US, i.e. only in the science classroom.
Daisy

Postby observer2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:47 am

How come CNN use the Celsius scale. Are they making different weather report for diffrent areas? (Europe, Asia, US, America?)

By the way, doesn´t the Celsius scale make more sense?

Water freezing point = 0 C
Water boiling point = 100 C
observer2

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 am

observer2 wrote:By the way, doesn´t the Celsius scale make more sense?

The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense, is that a degree Kelvin is effectively the same as a degree Celsius. This means the conversion (C to K) in chemistry and biology are easy. The F scale makes no sense on so many levels, unless your name is Marlow. :twisted:

You'll like this old thread:
Metric/Imperial debate #1133046
Daisy

Postby gh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:24 am

To see how we arrived at the ludicrous scale that is Fahrenheit (thanks Daniel Gabriel F), check out the "history" section in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit

(I say ludicrous, because at least English linear measure makes some elemental sense, being related to body parts, but this was pure voodoo mathematics)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

The Fahrenheit scale may be based on a ludicrous idea, but it does what it is suppose to do.

CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin? No wonder nobody watches them anymore.

As for Fahrenheit on the way out. That really is nonsense.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 am

Conor Dary wrote:CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin?

I hate to be a pedant here, but I think you mean Esperanto. The latin equivalent of temperature scales is sticking your hand out of the window. :wink:
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 am

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:CNN really does their temperatures in Celsius? What is next? Doing their broadcasts in Latin?

I hate to be a pedant here, but I think you mean Esperanto. The latin equivalent of temperature scales is sticking your hand out of the window. :wink:

Well it depends on your time period. Back in Newton's day, Latin was the esperanto of the times. Anybody who was anybody, be they French, English, German or whatever wrote in Latin. And since we are talking Celsius the temperature, along with Kelvin, of the scientists, I do mean Latin.

I don't believe I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin, or at least tried.

:wink:
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:44 am

Conor Dary wrote:I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin

That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 am

The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense...

This really is not true. If anything Fahrenheit is more accurate since it is 180 units from freezing to boiling as opposed to 100 for Celsius. :lol:
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 am

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I have ever seen a mathematical paper in esperanto, but I have read plenty in Latin

That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)

Well whose fault is that? :lol:
Conor Dary

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

Conor Dary wrote: The best thing about the Celsius scale, apart from it making more sense...
This really is not true. If anything Fahrenheit is more accurate since it is 180 units from freezing to boiling as opposed to 100 for Celsius. :lol:

I believe that was the third iteration of the fahrenheit scale. They were already desperately trying to make it relevant even back then. Similar to Microsoft trying to copy everything MAC and google. :)

Conor Dary wrote:
Daisy wrote:That is because latin is from the past, like fahrenheit. :)

Well whose fault is that? :lol:

Not the Luddites, for sure. 8-)
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:59 am

I believe that was the third iteration of the fahrenheit scale. They were already desperately trying to make it relevant even back then. Similar to Microsoft trying to copy everything MAC and google.

The third? Well at least they knew enough to try to fix it.

But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

As for Microsoft, Fahrenheit and His Friends will certainly be relevant long after those jokers in Redmond are gone.

Though I have to say I like Windows 7.
:lol:
Conor Dary

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Conor Dary wrote:But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

But will anyone else in the world? It's great that you all understand each other though. :twisted:
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:But it is still relevant. If I say it is 72F outside, (I wish) you know exactly what I mean.

But will anyone else in the world? It's great that you all understand each other though. :twisted:

Well I suppose if Bengladesheses were watching the Weather Channel on satellite, they might be confused.

72! man that is HOT!
Conor Dary

Postby Pego » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Daisy wrote:

I got used to thinking in the Fahrenheit scale a lot quicker than the imperial measurements.

And yes, I also like Windows 7.
Pego

PreviousNext