"Most pressing need" for Vols: indoor track


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

"Most pressing need" for Vols: indoor track

Postby BillVol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:37 am

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/nov ... 100m-club/

Just a blurb, but I'm glad they are thinking about it and it is a priority.
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:24 pm

My brother got his PhD at UT. He described the terror caused by 1/4" of snow in Knoxville and the good laugh he and other "yankees" had about it. They would go so far as to pull the blinds in the office so that the secretaries wouldn't go into hysterics when they saw snow and try to leave work early.

The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.
Mighty Favog
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby BillVol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:My brother got his PhD at UT. He described the terror caused by 1/4" of snow in Knoxville and the good laugh he and other "yankees" had about it. They would go so far as to pull the blinds in the office so that the secretaries wouldn't go into hysterics when they saw snow and try to leave work early.

The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.


People do freak out when it snows in the South, no question about it. As for the priority of an indoor track, I think the people in the UTAD probably are considering our lofty tradition in track and field and the fact that Arkansas, Florida and Kentucky have great indoor facilities. UT doesn't like to be outdone in any facility and so far they are doing pretty well at that. I suppose they also want a place to train in the colder winter months.
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby jrun » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 pm

BillVol wrote: I suppose they also want a place to train in the colder winter months.


The frigid 50 degrees F?
jrun
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby BillVol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:37 pm

jrun wrote:
BillVol wrote: I suppose they also want a place to train in the colder winter months.


The frigid 50 degrees F?


I think it gets colder than that, but either way, if they have an indoor track in Gainesville, UTAD is going to want one in Knoxville. Took getting rid of Doug Dickey to get us to this point.
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby lonewolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Until Boone Pickens dropped a few billion in the recent downturn, the Okla State grand sports development included a "world class" indoor track facility, indoor football facility and several other sports venues on the 160 acre "Athletic Campus, acquired immediately north of Boone Pickens Stadium.
Which is confusing. While OSU is strong in X-C, it has not really had a men's track team for 10-15 years.
Equally confusing. Last year OSU put in state of the art throwing facilities, hammer, discus, shot put , at the old track, a half mile west of the football statium. The track is still serviceable but the jumping facilities are dismal and the stands have been removed. OSU has not had any throwers for years. The only time it has been used was to conduct a hammer competion last year when Tulsa University, which has no hammer venue, hosted their conference meet and bused the hammer competitors 160 miles RT.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:35 pm

BillVol wrote:
I think it gets colder than that, but either way, if they have an indoor track in Gainesville, UTAD is going to want one in Knoxville. Took getting rid of Doug Dickey to get us to this point.


It's not like they have an indoor track to practice on. They have a baketball/multi use facility that can be set up for a track meet. UF isn't even hosting any indoor meets this year (though there will still be one non-school-hosted meet there).
polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4532
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Postby BillVol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Charlie Ergen, our wealthiest alum, had a rough year, too, but he's finally starting to donate to the UTAD in a big way anyhow.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/54/ric ... _FXHG.html
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby BillVol » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:51 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
BillVol wrote:
I think it gets colder than that, but either way, if they have an indoor track in Gainesville, UTAD is going to want one in Knoxville. Took getting rid of Doug Dickey to get us to this point.


It's not like they have an indoor track to practice on. They have a baketball/multi use facility that can be set up for a track meet. UF isn't even hosting any indoor meets this year (though there will still be one non-school-hosted meet there).


Stokely has been condemned and is slated to be razed within a year. The Stokely track wasn't long enough to host SEC/NCAA meets anyhow (1/5 mile).
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Postby tandfman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:07 am

Mighty Favog wrote:The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.

The fact that you think that it is ridiculous to take indoor track seriously as a sport speaks volumes about something else.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby 7-sided » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

tandfman wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote:The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.

The fact that you think that it is ridiculous to take indoor track seriously as a sport speaks volumes about something else.


The "something else" it speaks to is the direction of the sport, which for indoors in the USA will mean collegiate and high school only. Major American pro stars seldom, if ever, compete indoors anymore and when you extend it to internationals - it looks just the same. I agree with MF: the sport (for pros) should shutter indoors and move to a "Northern hemisphere/Southern Hemisphere" competition schedule.
7-sided
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:02 am

Postby Barto » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:15 am

lonewolf wrote:Until Boone Pickens dropped a few billion in the recent downturn, the Okla State grand sports development included a "world class" indoor track facility, indoor football facility and several other sports venues on the 160 acre "Athletic Campus, acquired immediately north of Boone Pickens Stadium.
Which is confusing. While OSU is strong in X-C, it has not really had a men's track team for 10-15 years.
Equally confusing. Last year OSU put in state of the art throwing facilities, hammer, discus, shot put , at the old track, a half mile west of the football statium. The track is still serviceable but the jumping facilities are dismal and the stands have been removed. OSU has not had any throwers for years. The only time it has been used was to conduct a hammer competion last year when Tulsa University, which has no hammer venue, hosted their conference meet and bused the hammer competitors 160 miles RT.


I believe OSU has bigger plans for their combined track / cross country programs. Think more along the lines of Arkansas than Colorado.
Barto
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby lonewolf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 am

Mike Holder, OSU AD, former golf coach, is a track sympathizer when speaking in person to track oriented groups but heretofore has not had the budget to follow through. Retired track/xc coach Dick Weiss was under a mandate to expend all of his limited scholarships on distance.
Arkansas, of course, has had a balance track/xc program for twenty years; a little down right now but McDonald had a fabulous run.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby Mighty Favog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 pm

7-sided wrote:
tandfman wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote:The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.

The fact that you think that it is ridiculous to take indoor track seriously as a sport speaks volumes about something else.


The "something else" it speaks to is the direction of the sport, which for indoors in the USA will mean collegiate and high school only. Major American pro stars seldom, if ever, compete indoors anymore and when you extend it to internationals - it looks just the same. I agree with MF: the sport (for pros) should shutter indoors and move to a "Northern hemisphere/Southern Hemisphere" competition schedule.
UT is merely trying to keep up with (or get ahead of) the Joneses, which is how individual actors in any highly competitive affair should act. But no one who has the ability to set policy for the whole of college track has ever said "UCLA and Florida taking indoor track seriously? And putting real money into it? This is getting a bit silly."

It was once a sidelight, a fun pre-season diversion, and understood to be nothing but a precursor to real track. These days, indoor titles and All-American status are seen to be just as valid as their outdoor equivalent. And I don't think it's good for the sport as a whole, either on the collegiate or pro level. 30 and 40 years ago collegians made up the bulk of the fields at meets like Millrose and the like, but now they're conspicuous by their absence and I think it's had a negative effect on fan interest.
Mighty Favog
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re:

Postby guru » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 pm

BillVol wrote:
Stokely has been condemned and is slated to be razed within a year.




Stokely still standing strong three years later lol, but not for long. Bookstore to close today, with offices to be vacated by January.


http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... osing-down
guru
 
Posts: 10266
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Strava, racking KOMs https://tinyurl.com/qf2ntch

Re:

Postby decafan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 am

Mighty Favog wrote:
7-sided wrote:
tandfman wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote:The fact that an indoor track facility is a priority in such a place speaks volumes about the ridiculousness of indoor track being taken seriously as a sport in and of itself.

The fact that you think that it is ridiculous to take indoor track seriously as a sport speaks volumes about something else.


The "something else" it speaks to is the direction of the sport, which for indoors in the USA will mean collegiate and high school only. Major American pro stars seldom, if ever, compete indoors anymore and when you extend it to internationals - it looks just the same. I agree with MF: the sport (for pros) should shutter indoors and move to a "Northern hemisphere/Southern Hemisphere" competition schedule.
UT is merely trying to keep up with (or get ahead of) the Joneses, which is how individual actors in any highly competitive affair should act. But no one who has the ability to set policy for the whole of college track has ever said "UCLA and Florida taking indoor track seriously? And putting real money into it? This is getting a bit silly."

It was once a sidelight, a fun pre-season diversion, and understood to be nothing but a precursor to real track. These days, indoor titles and All-American status are seen to be just as valid as their outdoor equivalent. And I don't think it's good for the sport as a whole, either on the collegiate or pro level. 30 and 40 years ago collegians made up the bulk of the fields at meets like Millrose and the like, but now they're conspicuous by their absence and I think it's had a negative effect on fan interest.


It doesn't matter that you might be right, Favog. The track and field landscape has changed. Suggesting indoor track in 2012 is silly and/or should not be taken seriously as a collegiate sport is a dangerous road to go down. Eliminate it, and it takes an institution that much closer to dropping outdoor track (a disturbing trend I hope we all are aware of). Our sport as a whole is screwed without vibrant collegiate track and field.

Fun facts: Indoor track is one of three countable sports under the umbrella of track and field for most athletic departments. Head coaches are reviewed on the success of xc, indoor and outdoor track. Like all of an Ath Dept's countable sports,Indoor track is factored into Director's Cup points, something Athletic Directors (and most university presidents) care a great deal about. All politics are local. When your career is connected, even loosely to the success of indoor track, there is a good chance you will consider it a major priority.
decafan
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re:

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:20 am

7-sided wrote:The "something else" it speaks to is the direction of the sport, which for indoors in the USA will mean collegiate and high school only....


Precisely what is being discussed here.
ExCoastRanger
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: North of where I was.

Re: Re:

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 pm

decafan wrote:Fun facts: Indoor track is one of three countable sports under the umbrella of track and field for most athletic departments. Head coaches are reviewed on the success of xc, indoor and outdoor track. Like all of an Ath Dept's countable sports,Indoor track is factored into Director's Cup points, something Athletic Directors (and most university presidents) care a great deal about..


When Oregon State cut track (I was on the faculty there at the time), the Assistant or Associate AD who engineered it was shocked that she had cut six sports, not two. They actually had to scramble to add a couple (soccer?) so that they could stay in the Pac10. Now, if that does not speak to poor planning, I am not sure what would qualify.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: "Most pressing need" for Vols: indoor track

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Florida is planning a $50m remodel of the OConnell Center (basketball, swimming, gymnastics). Plans are for permanent stands on the Mondo indoor track. Not a big loss as Florida does not practice on the track, and no longer hosts any indoor meets.

Tennessee's Stokley is about 1/10 mi/lap.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: "Most pressing need" for Vols: indoor track

Postby BillVol » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 am

Stokely is going to be razed in a few weeks. Lots of articles on this, but I enjoyed this one best. Stokely really is an antique and I will not miss it.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/12/17/240580/John-Shearer-Stokely-Athletics-Center.aspx
BillVol
 
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Re: "Most pressing need" for Vols: indoor track

Postby James Fields » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:00 pm

URL below provides sketch of proposed indoor track at University of Tennessee (Knoxville).

http://www.govolsxtra.com/photos/2011/may/07/120987

This sketch and related material was presented at a meeting of UT track officials.

Suggested 5000 seating capacity was linked to potential for hosting NCAA Indoor champs.
I think Reggie Lewis indoor track in Boston has fewer seats but still hosts major meets.
James Fields
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Knoxville and Seattle


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests