Best sprinter to never win an Olympic medal?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:49 pm

You are a fanatic about the hurdles...you are incriminating yourself at every step....
2 cents

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

we all sound like a bunch of premenstrual teenagers, r ya getting that. I may turn in my man card by daybreak.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Marlow wrote:
2 cents wrote:OK, dukesteve, you are not very smart. I am bored by this subject...However, the truth is the truth...

This is not boring me at all, because psychotic minds always fascinate me. I just found this post by 7-s:

7-sided wrote:A little story about Canada's stupid policy.

There was this athlete named Charles Allen who did not have the A-standard in 2004. Luckily (or should we say "smart") for him he was "in the relay pool". Since he was already there, he was allowed to run the 110h.

1 4 Xiang Liu CHN 12.91 (=WR) 0.139
2 6 Terrence Trammell USA 13.18 . 0.154
3 7 Anier García CUB 13.20 (SB) 0.169
4 5 Maurice Wignall JAM 13.21 . 0.164
5 2 Stanislavs Olijars LAT 13.21 . 0.174
6 1 Charles Allen CAN 13.48 . 0.139
7 8 Mateus Facho Inocêncio BRA 13.49 . 0.169
8 3 Ladji Doucouré FRA 13.76 . 0.204

At some point, it's not about development, it's about being malicious. You have to wonder how many potential finalists are being left home, and have been left home since the institution of this policy. :roll:

I see I am now an expert on Canada's Oly policies - AWESOME! I'm getting smarter without even trying now!!! :D

At some point (in the near future, I suspect), you will realize that you've put too many eggs in the Crazy Basket, and you're gonna have to 'disappear' Mr. 2C.
Ben Hall could convince you, unless you're too far gone already.

Marlow, you participated in this thread as Tafnut...
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... len+canada

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: m110H - semis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MJD wrote:

We (Canadians)
>definitely need to throw Charles' performance in the faces of the COC. If he
>wasn't on the relay team, they weren't going to send him.

Let's hope they have their priorities straight but I'm not optimistic. Maybe he should just refuse?
2 cents

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Checkmate...game over....
2 cents

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 pm

2 cents wrote:Checkmate...game over....

Can we please, please, please, bet a hugely obscene amount of money on this?! Whatever you can scrape together, I'll remortage my house to cover! While we're at it, whoever loses the bet can NEVER post here again under ANY log-in!!! EVER! Deal? [that should pique gh's interest, as he could also verify the truth!]
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:33 pm

The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:
And your wager is meaningless, since your word is no good. You're a liar, big deal, join the human race...
2 cents

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

gh and bh, can you PLEASE get rid of this guy ??!!
dukehjsteve

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 pm

2 cents wrote:The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:
And your wager is meaningless, since your word is no good. You're a liar, big deal, join the human race...

I must say after seeing this 2 cent, this cyber coin in action, he has redifined what i like to call a man of action, a man's man if you will and i know you will.

He seems to follow everything Marlow posts here and that is pretty cool to start with.

And then he finds time away from his research into all the many forms of exotic science he is invloved with to attend to the evil and stupid marlow.

I just think he deserves a standing O
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mojo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:01 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:we all sound like a bunch of premenstrual teenagers, r ya getting that. I may turn in my man card by daybreak.

Trust me (having been one, raised two and worked with dozens,) they come of looking mighty good after reading the absolutely ridiculous stuff on the board these days. Make that skimming the crap here-it is seriously getting to the point of no return. Amazing how a few posters can ruin a forum.

gh and bh you used to delete posts for the slighest of reasons-where are you now while your board turns into a cesspool?
mojo

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:05 pm

2 cents wrote:The more bravado you show, the more you hang yourself...I've already told you, you may use different IP addresses....so what....I notice you've left 7-sided out of this for now.... :lol:

Then just go ahead and take the bet. bh is smart enough to figure out who's right. Isn't it worth taking the bet to see me go away forever?
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Every one of your posts betrays you...You are your own Judas...
2 cents

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 pm

2 cents wrote:Every one of your posts betrays you...You are your own Judas...

Bluff. The very fact that you won't bet is the tell. Sooner or later gh will see this, and my promise to disappear forever will suffice to get him digging. Any decent hacker could expose me if I'm lying. Bet.
Marlow

Postby 2 cents » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:40 pm

I already KNOW the truth. I don't want your house...Your false bravado rings hollow and desperate...
2 cents

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm

I lost interest in this thread long ago except puzzlement over 2 cents obsession that Marlow also posts under another name. Those of us who have been around a while know Marlow only re-incarnates every 25,000 posts. At less than 8000 posts as Marlow he will not morph for another year.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:13 am

Well, this thread certainly went south in the couple of days that I ignored it.

If you check the board guidelines you'll see there is no proscription against posting under multiple names. What is generally understood as good board etiquette, however, is that one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?

I would also note that the guidelines do have good-behaviour requirements, and 2 cents clearly has steppled over the line here.

And will enjoy the next week elsewhere.
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 am

gh wrote:one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?
I would also note that the guidelines do have good-behaviour requirements, and 2 cents clearly has steppled over the line here.

Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?
Marlow

Postby bambam » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 am

dukehjsteve wrote:gh and bh, can you PLEASE get rid of this guy ??!!

Just to add my 2 cents, I second that - get rid of 2 cents
bambam

Postby gh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:one not make multiple posts on the same thread under different names simply to buttress one's position in a contentious subject. Since I see no 7-sided posts in this thread, what's the problem?

Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?

I cannot. I can (in the full sense of the word, meaning ability as well as willingness) only tell you that 7-S's most recent post was from a different ISP than you are currently using.
gh

Postby KDFINE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Whenever my thoughts wander over to "the best who never," I immediately censor myself to ignore anyone still competing since its not yet over for them. So I choose to publicly ignore the Gay versus Powell arguments.
Hal Davis and Steve Williams lead my list. As a New Yorker I'm prejudiced in favor of Williams. Leading into the 1976 trials I felt that he was making a mistake by running the 100 and would have had more time to get ready for the 200. Would he have had less of a chance of breaking down if he didn't try the 100? Maybe he should have been running the 400 all along, but it doesn't have the allure of being "the world's fastest man." On a different post I've taken the position that John Smith is the best 400 meter man not to have medaled. If healthy he probably would have won. He had several years at the top. Quarter-milers are sprinters too aren't they? Finally, one name that hasn't been mentioined yet is Charley Tidwell. If healthy in 1960 he would have been a contender in either the 100 or the 200. Of course he only had that one year at the top.
KDFINE

Postby guru » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:07 pm

gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:Thank you for banning 2C, but can bh verify that I am INDEED not 7-S, so 2C can go ahead and schedule that overdue psychiatric examination?

I cannot. I can (in the full sense of the word, meaning ability as well as willingness) only tell you that 7-S's most recent post was from a different ISP than you are currently using.

Of course, IP addresses are meaningless when trying to identify someone who doesn't want you to know who they are(or wants to dodge a website banning) - free proxy servers are everywhere. So as gh said, they couldn't "verify" such a thing with certainty even if they wanted(unless they had a court order LOL).

That being said, I'd observe that 2 cents never thought marlow was 7-sided anyway.
guru

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:13 pm

guru wrote:2 cents never thought marlow was 7-sided anyway.

So why be so self-destructive? It made him look like a fool AND got him banned.
I guess 2-cents will reincarnate into his 5th avatar.
Marlow

Postby Avante » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:09 am

Wow...hahaha!!!!!

I was talking about no Olympic medal of any kind here. I assumed if I'm talking Hal Davis from the 40's it's pretty obvious I'm aware of Asafa Powell and his situation. For me it is Hal Davis. He was the most dominate sprinter in the world in his time and probably would have won both sprints and a relay gold if given the opportunity.

Not ignoring...

Howard Drew...injury
Eulace Peacock...injury
Jim Golliday...injury
Stanley Floyd...boycott
Steve Williams...injury
Ray Norton...blew it!

There is another guy who coulda/woulda/shoulda but didn't....James Sanford.
Avante

Postby Speedfirst » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:44 am

Didn't know everyone had to agree on the same sprinter and now you come with some other criteria. As individuals we can and do decide who we want and of course is will be, and is subject to debate.
Last edited by Speedfirst on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedfirst

Postby Avante » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:17 am

Speedfirst wrote:Didn't know everyone had to agree on the same sprinter and now you come with some other criteria. As individuals we can and do decide who want and of course is will and is subject to debate.

New criteria? What did the message title read?
Avante

Postby Marlow » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:21 am

Avante wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:Didn't know everyone had to agree on the same sprinter and now you come with some other criteria. As individuals we can and do decide who want and of course is will and is subject to debate.

Now, Bru . . uh . . . Tex . . . I mean, Avante - play nicely!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 am

Marlow wrote:
Avante wrote:

Now, Bru . . uh . . . Tex . . . I mean, Avante - play nicely!

Welcome back, Brutal/Texas/Avante. Your presence enlivens the place, regardless how you play :wink: .
Pego

Postby Speedfirst » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:44 am

Avante wrote:

I never stated new criteria, I said other. Your stating you know about Asafa so what. What does that have to do with anything? Why single him out? Those who have chosen Asfa, did so based upon the question, which by the way doesn't have any particular starting or ending time frame.
Speedfirst

Postby TrackDaddy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Pego wrote:Welcome back, Brutal/Texas/Avante. Your presence enlivens the place, regardless how you play :wink: .

Regardless? Really?

Hmmp :?

Anyway..

Brutal,

The implication from the thread QUESTION was "individual" medal -thats why in my first post I asked if you meant individual. If relays were included why has all the discussion (including yours) been about individuals and individual accomplishments?

Nice try.
TrackDaddy

Postby STL_Runner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Speedfirst wrote:I never stated new criteria, I said other.

Yes, you said other, but in this case that wouldn't be any different than new criteria. Another semantics issue with you. Also, the thread starter (Avante) wasn't even the one who brought up the new/other criteria. Reading comprehension is not your friend.

Speedfirst wrote:Your stating you know about Asafa so what. What does that have to do with anything? Why single him out?

Asafa was probably singled out because he has been brought up so many times during this thread. Reading comprehension is not your friend.

Speedfirst wrote:Those who have chosen Asfa, did so based upon the question, which by the way doesn't have any particular starting or ending time frame.

Thank you, master of the obvious. Of course, the person you're responding to never stated otherwise, so I don't know why you even bothered to bring this up. Oh wait, probably because reading comprehension is not your friend.
STL_Runner

Postby Speedfirst » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Since you like following me around girl....new & other aren't nearly the same.

I can have a few jackets and decide that I want the other one, which is not a new, Now on the other hand, I can go purchase a new one. You got it girl, see I know you're on your period and all.

I thought you were using your ignore feature, I know you're enarmored with me, but it's getting old. You really should get off my jock....jock itch.

But I'll continue to entertain you Venganza, how's the pasta coming?
Speedfirst

Postby lovetorun » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Dave Sime.
lovetorun

Postby tandfman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:53 pm

lovetorun wrote:Dave Sime.

Silver medal, 100m, Rome 1960.
tandfman

Postby STL_Runner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Speedfirst wrote:Since you like following me around girl....new & other aren't nearly the same.

I can have a few jackets and decide that I want the other one, which is not a new, Now on the other hand, I can go purchase a new one. You got it girl, see I know you're on your period and all.

Again, you're showing you don't understand the difference between general and specific situations. Reading comprehension is not your friend.

By the way, I'm not a girl, and your attempts to insult me by calling me one are pathetic and immature.
STL_Runner

Postby Avante » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:31 pm

To nobody in particular...

An Olympic medal is huge in track & field. A world record will be broken, you will always have that Olympic medal. This thread was about those sprinters that did make an impact but for some reason or another never won an Olympic medal. Yes it's debatable about just who was the best sprinter to fall into that category. It's not debatable about what this thread is about or it shouldn't be.

Asafa Powell has an Olympic medal. So he is DQed...ha! This isn't about individual anything, It's about who never won an Olympic medal. Ivory Crockett, Houston McTear, Reggie Jones, Rey Robinson, George Anderson would fit while Ronnie Ray Smith, Mel Pender, Johnny Jones and Gerald Tinker wouldn't. Yes a 4x1 medal means you have an Olympic medal. I'm sure those who own one would agree :)
Avante

Postby Speedfirst » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:38 am

STL_Runner wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:Since you like following me around girl....new & other aren't nearly the same.

Again, you're showing you don't understand the difference between general and specific situations. Reading comprehension is not your friend.

By the way, I'm not a girl, and your attempts to insult me by calling me one are pathetic and immature.

Sure you're a girl......once again you added nothing to the subject. Jock itch

What's pathetic and immature is your hard on for me and following me, Venganza. Simply use your ignore feature hypocrite, you did cry about that. Cry baby.
Speedfirst

Postby BisonHurdler » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:50 am

Speedfirst wrote:
Sure you're a girl......once again you added nothing to the subject. Jock itch

What's pathetic and immature is your hard on for me and following me, Venganza. Simply use your ignore feature hypocrite, you did cry about that. Cry baby.

I have absolutely no horse in this race, but goddamn, Speedfirst, does the second half of your name refer to the grade you're in?

The humor in this all is that the only person being made fun of in your posts is you. You just don't realize it.

Speedfirst wrote:
What's pathetic and immature is
everything you've said on this thread. Grow up. This is just embarrassing to read, knowing there's a chance you may actually be an adult.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.

Davis is a pretty good pick, and I'm not sure I could come up with a good enough argument for someone else at this point.
BisonHurdler

Postby gh » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:48 am

Speedfirst DQed for multiple false starts.
gh

Postby Pego » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:59 am

TrackDaddy wrote:Regardless? Really?

B/T/A's contributions to the board have nothing to do with his style, unnecessarily confrontational at times, needless to say. His in-depth knowledge of American male sprinting history has few peers. I crossed swords with him repeatedly on many subjects, but his value is undeniable.

Speedfirst wrote:Sure you're a girl......
What's pathetic and immature is your hard on for me...

A hard on in a girl. A rather novel concept to me.
Pego

Postby TrackDaddy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:49 pm

Avante wrote: Yes a 4x1 medal means you have an Olympic medal. I'm sure those who own one would agree :)

Its your thread and God forbid I should try and stop you from making up rules that support your opinion as you go along.

Like you (now) say...relay medals count. :D
TrackDaddy

Postby TrackDaddy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:52 pm

gh wrote:Speedfirst DQed for multiple false starts.

:(

The guy in the lane beside him flinched.
TrackDaddy

PreviousNext