Two Jamaica athletes tested positive for Banned substances!

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby chriswitt » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:20 am

guruof track wrote:I'm sure whom ever the woman is she has braces. :lol:

No , and she doesnt trainning in Jamaica
but iam hearing it is a stimulant
chriswitt

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:25 am

TrainerPhil wrote:I guess many of us would like to believe that MOST of the top track and field athletes do what they do clean. If they were all dirty, then what's the point of even watching anymore?

Its not as if they are getting robot legs, its drugs/PEDs and there are many things that can be classified as a PED that arent banned.
I watch to see for same reason as everyone, if they're dirty, doesnt matter to me one bit, just means faster times in the end. The one thng that matters to me is getting caught, as long as they're not caught, its 100% fine to me whatever they choose to do.
Last edited by track_expert on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
track_expert

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:26 am

Like many of you trying to find out what is going on, I placed several phone calls this morning. I just got word from someone who works for the JAAA that they are still currently unaware of any positive tests. That doesn't mean they don't exist. But protocol would have been for the JAAA to be notified so they would inturn notify the athletes. As of 11:15 est (10:15 jamaican time) the JAAA is unaware of any positive tests.

Now, all this could mean is that the info got leaked before the JAAA could be properly notified.But before we draw any conclusions, I guess it's wise that we wait for an official report. As it stands now, these reports are 100% speculation.
TrainerPhil

Postby toyracer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:29 am

According to the Observer story, two people on this list tested positive:

1 Bolt, Usain 22 Racers Track Club 9.86 -0.2
2 Powell, Asafa 26 Mvp Track Club 9.97 -0.2
3 Frater, Micheal 26 Mvp Track Club 10.02 -0.2
4 Anderson, Marvin 27 Racers Track Club 10.07 -0.2
5 Mullings, Steve 26 Unattached 10.08 -0.2
6 Blake, Yohan 19 Racers Track Club 10.09 -0.2

According to the Observer story, one person on this list tested positive:

1 Fraser, Shelly-Ann 22 Mvp Track Club 10.88 -1.5
2 Stewart, Kerron 25 Unattached 10.93 -1.5
3 Brooks, Sheri-Ann 26 Unattached 11.16 -1.5
4 Facey, Simone 24 Unattached 11.23 -1.5
5 Bailey, Aleen 28 Unattached 11.30 -1.5
6 Henry, Samantha 20 Louisiana State 11.36 -1.5

1 Chambers, Ricardo 24 Racers Track Club 45.55
2 Fothergill, Allodin Unattached 45.57
3 Spence, Lansford 26 Auburn University 45.78
4 Hyatt, Dane 25 Lincoln University 45.97
5 Green, Leford 22 Johnson Smith UN 46.19
6 Gonzales, Jermaine 24 Racers Track Club 46.22

This is a sad, sad day for Jamaica. Whoever the five athletes are they have not only disgraced themselves, they have brought disgrace to the entire nation. It is a sad statistic that more than 10% of the named team tested positive for something.

This story on trackalerts does give some hope though: http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=2117 "TrackAlerts.com also understands that most of the findings are not serious and will only warrant a public warning." Same article says it could be as much as seven positives.

Whoever they are, the Jamaican people at large are not going to be very understanding about this. I wait to see the names, and the substances before making further comment.
toyracer

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:30 am

toyracer wrote:According to the Observer story, two people on this list tested positive:

1 Bolt, Usain 22 Racers Track Club 9.86 -0.2
2 Powell, Asafa 26 Mvp Track Club 9.97 -0.2
3 Frater, Micheal 26 Mvp Track Club 10.02 -0.2
4 Anderson, Marvin 27 Racers Track Club 10.07 -0.2
5 Mullings, Steve 26 Unattached 10.08 -0.2
6 Blake, Yohan 19 Racers Track Club 10.09 -0.2

According to the Observer story, one person on this list tested positive:

1 Fraser, Shelly-Ann 22 Mvp Track Club 10.88 -1.5
2 Stewart, Kerron 25 Unattached 10.93 -1.5
3 Brooks, Sheri-Ann 26 Unattached 11.16 -1.5
4 Facey, Simone 24 Unattached 11.23 -1.5
5 Bailey, Aleen 28 Unattached 11.30 -1.5
6 Henry, Samantha 20 Louisiana State 11.36 -1.5

1 Chambers, Ricardo 24 Racers Track Club 45.55
2 Fothergill, Allodin Unattached 45.57
3 Spence, Lansford 26 Auburn University 45.78
4 Hyatt, Dane 25 Lincoln University 45.97
5 Green, Leford 22 Johnson Smith UN 46.19
6 Gonzales, Jermaine 24 Racers Track Club 46.22

This is a sad, sad day for Jamaica. Whoever the five athletes are they have not only disgraced themselves, they have brought disgrace to the entire nation. It is a sad statistic that more than 10% of the named team tested positive for something.

This story on trackalerts does give some hope though: http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=2117 "TrackAlerts.com also understands that most of the findings are not serious and will only warrant a public warning." Same article says it could be as much as seven positives.

Whoever they are, the Jamaican people at large are not going to be very understanding about this. I wait to see the names, and the substances before making further comment.

Its only a sad day because they were caught, simple as that. Whoever or whatever this really is.
track_expert

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:33 am

toyracer wrote:

I was speaking to my Dad who lives in Jamaica about it and he said that people are upset about the initial reports. He went on to say that people are ready to jump on anybody who tested positive. Sounds like there will be little forgiveness for those who got caught.
TrainerPhil

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 am

As long as there is a willing mind to use PED's, there will be a way/s. This applies to the individual and is not a slight on any particular country.

Cheating is simply a part of sports, life, a pathetic part, but a part, none the less.
Speedfirst

Postby marknhj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:36 am

track_expert wrote:Its only a sad day because they were caught, simple as that

Your preference would be for those who dope to get away with it and not be caught? Apologies if I misinterpreted your post...
marknhj

Postby gh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:36 am

to repeat... there is no statement anywhere, even in the "official leakage" that PEDs are involved. Doesn't mean there aren't, but the usage of "banned substances" would seem to be pointing elsewhere.

Has there been a spike in sales in the spliff market lately?
gh

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:39 am

marknhj wrote:
track_expert wrote:Its only a sad day because they were caught, simple as that

Your preference would be for those who dope to get away with it and not be caught? Apologies if I misinterpreted your post...

Sorry to break the reality to you but if everyone who used SOME form of PED was caught (goes further than whats on the banned list), you wouldnt have NEARLY as many top sprinters with the times that you see now.
Last edited by track_expert on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
track_expert

Postby shearer39 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am

TrainerPhil wrote:Like many of you trying to find out what is going on, I placed several phone calls this morning. I just got word from someone who works for the JAAA that they are still currently unaware of any positive tests. That doesn't mean they don't exist. But protocol would have been for the JAAA to be notified so they would inturn notify the athletes. As of 11:15 est (10:15 jamaican time) the JAAA is unaware of any positive tests.

Now, all this could mean is that the info got leaked before the JAAA could be properly notified.But before we draw any conclusions, I guess it's wise that we wait for an official report. As it stands now, these reports are 100% speculation.

This is solid info. Five athletes are being flown back to Jamaica as fast as possible to face a hearing. After this a statement will be released with regards to their situation. The situation is the athletes were taking a product that was approved for consumption (by whom it is not clear). Also none of them failed tests in Europe where they have been participating in competition since July.
shearer39

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:41 am

A banned substance could technically be a PED, as we know there are both legal and illegal performance enhancers.

If a said banned substance enhanced your peformance, than of course it's a performane enhancer, only question then is, what is the substance.
Speedfirst

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 am

Speedfirst wrote:As long as there is a willing mind to use PED's, there will be a way/s. This applies to the individual and is not a slight on any particular country.

Cheating is simply a part of sports, life, a pathetic part, but a part, none the less.

Hey if everyone in the class has a answer sheet to a test would you choose to do it fairly and not cheat? Doing so only leaves you behind everyone else.
track_expert

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:44 am

Speedfirst wrote:A banned substance could technically be a PED, as we know there are both legal and illegal performance enhancers.

If a said banned substance enhanced your peformance, than of course it's a performane enhancer, only question then is, what is the substance.

Ya thats the interesting part.
Im NOT making any accusations here, just stating that if anyone like usain, tyson, asafa or other not-so-big guys tested positive for a anabolic steroid, i'd be shocked outa my mind. For obvious reasons, if you ever watch a clip of these guys in the weight room :lol:
track_expert

Postby Jerome Marrow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 am

TrainerPhil wrote:Like many of you trying to find out what is going on, I placed several phone calls this morning. I just got word from someone who works for the JAAA that they are still currently unaware of any positive tests. That doesn't mean they don't exist. But protocol would have been for the JAAA to be notified so they would inturn notify the athletes. As of 11:15 est (10:15 jamaican time) the JAAA is unaware of any positive tests.

Or they are just not informing the public of everything damn thing that goes on, especially when things may not be clear yet.
Jerome Marrow

Postby Jerome Marrow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 am

track_expert wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:A banned substance could technically be a PED, as we know there are both legal and illegal performance enhancers.

Im NOT making any accusations here, just stating that if anyone like usain, tyson, asafa or other not-so-big guys tested positive for a anabolic steroid, i'd be shocked outa my mind. For obvious reasons, if you ever watch a clip of these guys in the weight room :lol:

Wow you just proved you know nothing about this.

What do you know about Tyson in the weightroom? Wait, you saw a small clip of him with drummond. Yeah.....
Jerome Marrow

Postby nony » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:48 am

Speedfirst wrote:
nony wrote:
guruof track wrote:"I know a lot of NCAA coaches around the country who are very skeptical of the situation down there in Jamaica," said Al Schmidt, who is now in his 17th season as the head coach for the Mississippi State's men's and women's track teams.

"I guess we were also naive to not fight this as hard as we should have. We put our faith in the JAAA and it appears that they didn't know what they were doing."

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2005/14.php

The situation has not changed since 2004. Its the same exact system. The question is 'Do you have faith in the current system?'

Some people just won't be happy unless Bolt or Asafa test positve. :roll:

Are you telling me you can vouche for them or any other athlete? No one is wishing the 2 biggest stars of Jamaica's team is a cheat, but if you can say you are with them 24/7, every second of the day, then you can vouche for them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you really saw that in that little statement? What I'm saying is that some people are hoping for the day Bolt and/or Asafa test positive. Some might not want to admit it but there is a lot of jealous people out there. Jamaica's drug testing procedures will never be good enough until this happens. People talk about Usain's sudden rise, but remember he has shown he was something special as a child. I personally would accept Usain's sudden rise because he never took it seriously and the results are from him finally putting in the work. It's different for a person who has put in the work his whole career and has consistently proven he wasn't sub 9.8 material and suddenly he's talking 9.5. I don't trust the US drug testing policy either and think the US will do just about anything to get the attention back. I keep some of those thoughts to myself and try to give every athlete the benefit of a doubt.
nony

Postby 3a » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 am

gh wrote:
Has there been a spike in sales in the spliff market lately?
:roll: Yeah they're all stoners. Hilarious.
3a

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 am

Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:

What do you know about Tyson in the weightroom? Wait, you saw a small clip of him with drummond. Yeah.....

My mistake on Tyson, but is it really a lot to assume he doesnt have MUCH starting strength? If he was squatting 500 pounds im sure his start would be much much better and much greater acceleration power. And if a guy with little starting strength was pumping up anabolic drugs, you'd expect to see some improvement in that area, no?
track_expert

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:56 am

nony wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:
nony wrote:
guruof track wrote:"I know a lot of NCAA coaches around the country who are very skeptical of the situation down there in Jamaica," said Al Schmidt, who is now in his 17th season as the head coach for the Mississippi State's men's and women's track teams.

"I guess we were also naive to not fight this as hard as we should have. We put our faith in the JAAA and it appears that they didn't know what they were doing."

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2005/14.php

The situation has not changed since 2004. Its the same exact system. The question is 'Do you have faith in the current system?'

Some people just won't be happy unless Bolt or Asafa test positve. :roll:

Are you telling me you can vouche for them or any other athlete? No one is wishing the 2 biggest stars of Jamaica's team is a cheat, but if you can say you are with them 24/7, every second of the day, then you can vouche for them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, you really saw that in that little statement? What I'm saying is that some people are hoping for the day Bolt and/or Asafa test positive. Some might not want to admit it but there is a lot of jealous people out there. Jamaica's drug testing procedures will never be good enough until this happens. People talk about Usain's sudden rise, but remember he has shown he was something special as a child. I personally would accept Usain's sudden rise because he never took it seriously and the results are from him finally putting in the work. It's different for a person who has put in the work his whole career and has consistently proven he wasn't sub 9.8 material and suddenly he's talking 9.5. I don't trust the US drug testing policy either and think the US will do just about anything to get the attention back. I keep some of those thoughts to myself and try to give every athlete the benefit of a doubt.

Who are these some people who are doing this hoping? Here's my point of the bold, even if someone as YOU claim is hoping, what in the world would their or how in the world would their hoping mean anything to the reality?

So again you can make a statement and try to represent it as if Asafa or Bolt were found dirty, that it may somehow be attributed to someone hoping and also their above reproach. Really that is also the hint in your post as well.

Obviously looking at your comments about Bolt in this post, proves what you're hinting at. You follow Bolt 24/7?
Speedfirst

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 am

track_expert wrote:

Again this isn't limited to anabolic steriods and I for one wouldn't even begin to think that.

This is so much manipulation with respect to peptides and really going right to the very edge, that would surprise you.
Speedfirst

Postby toyracer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:05 am

shearer39 wrote:

This is solid info. Five athletes are being flown back to Jamaica as fast as possible to face a hearing. After this a statement will be released with regards to their situation. The situation is the athletes were taking a product that was approved for consumption (by whom it is not clear). Also none of them failed tests in Europe where they have been participating in competition since July.

Okay, which is the "solid info"? That the JAAA has not been notified as of 45 minutes ago, or that the five athletes are flying back to Jamaica? It can't be both. I'm just asking for clarification.

As an aside; given the time elapsed since trials and the positive test result now, is it safe to assume that "none of them failed tests in Europe" since the trials? Wouldn't post-trials test results take a similar amount of time to be known?
toyracer

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 am

track_expert wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:As long as there is a willing mind to use PED's, there will be a way/s. This applies to the individual and is not a slight on any particular country.

Hey if everyone in the class has a answer sheet to a test would you choose to do it fairly and not cheat? Doing so only leaves you behind everyone else.

Are you asking if it were known, everyone had an answer sheet? But even I did know, I wouldn't use the answer sheet, if everyone decided to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't.
Last edited by Speedfirst on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedfirst

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am

Speedfirst wrote:
track_expert wrote:

Again this isn't limited to anabolic steriods and I for one wouldn't even begin to think that.

This is so much manipulation with respect to peptides and really going right to the very edge, that would surprise you.

I was just going specific on anabolics, I know PEDs go much much further than simply anabolic steroids.
track_expert

Postby Jerome Marrow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am

track_expert wrote:
Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:

My mistake on Tyson, but is it really a lot to assume he doesnt have MUCH starting strength? If he was squatting 500 pounds im sure his start would be much much better and much greater acceleration power. And if a guy with little starting strength was pumping up anabolic drugs, you'd expect to see some improvement in that area, no?

Shawn Crawford tested positive in 05 for AAS, is very strong in the weightroom, and has a horrible start.

Justin Gatlin tested positive for testosterone, did not have a start as good as Gay's, and was also quite strong in the weightroom.

Get your nonsense out of here.
Jerome Marrow

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am

Speedfirst wrote:
track_expert wrote:

Are you asking if it were known, everyone had an answer sheet? But even I did know, I wouldn't use the answer sheet, even everyone decided to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't.

Now if this were a competition for money, etc. you'd reconsider that.
Regardless its a analogy, and most people, although may not admit, would use a answer sheet. If you're so smart you can get the best mark without the answer sheet, then you're fine. Much like having incredibly superior talent. But since most people are borderline, the choice is, to cheat and succeed, or go clean and fail.
The teacher sitting there simply hopes no one is cheating at all and everyone studied for their test.
track_expert

Postby skiboo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 am

Speedfirst wrote:Are you asking if it were known, everyone had an answer sheet? But even I did know, I wouldn't use the answer sheet, if everyone decided to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't.

What advantage do you gain from following everyone off a bridge? Unless you were suicidal and having a hard time following through, it's a strange analogy.
Last edited by skiboo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
skiboo

Postby Gordon18 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 am

track_expert wrote:
TrainerPhil wrote:I guess many of us would like to believe that MOST of the top track and field athletes do what they do clean. If they were all dirty, then what's the point of even watching anymore?

Its not as if they are getting robot legs, its drugs/PEDs and there are many things that can be classified as a PED that arent banned.
I watch to see for same reason as everyone, if they're dirty, doesnt matter to me one bit, just means faster times in the end. The one thng that matters to me is getting caught, as long as they're not caught, its 100% fine to me whatever they choose to do.

lol did you read my post, unless you're joking, we probably have exact the same views on this subject but aren't you a former athlete? i thought you would be against athletes doping etc
Gordon18

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:16 am

track_expert wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:
track_expert wrote:

I was just going specific on anabolics, I know PEDs go much much further than simply anabolic steroids.

Well that may or may not even be the case with each athlete, with respect to the massiveness/ripped look. You still may get some benefits of the anabolic use and manipulate to some extent how your body looks.
Speedfirst

Postby marknhj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 am

track_expert wrote:Sorry to break the reality to you but if everyone who used SOME form of PED was caught (goes further than whats on the banned list), you wouldnt have NEARLY as many top sprinters with the times that you see now.

You're so kind. I greatly appreciate your lesson on the "reality" of drug taking in athletics...

But you didn't answer my question. Why are you only sad because they were caught?
marknhj

Postby freddykruger77 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:19 am

Sources have disclosed to me personally that the substance in question was from an energy drink. It was not on the banned list at the time of taking, however it was subsequently added and therefore the test results came back positive. It is said that 7 athletes in total have tested positive.
freddykruger77

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:19 am

Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:
Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:

Shawn Crawford tested positive in 05 for AAS, is very strong in the weightroom, and has a horrible start.

Justin Gatlin tested positive for testosterone, did not have a start as good as Gay's, and was also quite strong in the weightroom.

When did crawford test positive?
Whats your notes on crawford's squatting numbers?

Also i wasnt talking about the reaction to the gun, there's the force application onto the blocks/first step, there's the first 10m, first 30m on the whole, and ability to transit efficiently from drive phase onto upright position.
And also stride length (which gatlin certainly had covered),
track_expert

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:20 am

freddykruger77 wrote:Sources have disclosed to me personally that the substance in question was from an energy drink. It was not on the banned list at the time of taking, however it was subsequently added and therefore the test results came back positive. It is said that 7 athletes in total have tested positive.

Wasnt it first 2 athletes, then 5? and now 7!?
track_expert

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 am

skiboo wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:Are you asking if it were known, everyone had an answer sheet? But even I did know, I wouldn't use the answer sheet, if everyone decided to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't.

What advantage do you gain from following everyone off a bridge? Unless you were suicidal and having a hard time following through, it's a strange analogy.

You're missing the point, here''s MY point, not being a follower and also my integrity. So in other words, if you follow someone here, you'll follow the next person there. If the analogy is strange to you, well to bad.
Speedfirst

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:22 am

Speedfirst wrote:
skiboo wrote:

You're missing the point, here''s MY point, not being a follower and also my integrity. So in other words, if you follow someone here, you'll follow the next person there. If the analogy is strange to you, well to bad.

Doesnt mean you have to be a follower, anyone who does anything like that because of others is a downright idiot. It's your own deicsion based on what you need to do.
track_expert

Postby freddykruger77 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:23 am

track_expert wrote:
freddykruger77 wrote:Sources have disclosed to me personally that the substance in question was from an energy drink. It was not on the banned list at the time of taking, however it was subsequently added and therefore the test results came back positive. It is said that 7 athletes in total have tested positive.

That is correct and apparently they are all from the same camp.
freddykruger77

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 am

track_expert wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:
skiboo wrote:

Doesnt mean you have to be a follower, anyone who does anything like that because of others is a downright idiot. It's your own deicsion based on what you need to do.

Of course it is, but you did present the scenario stating if others had a cheat sheet. Why not simply ask would you cheat, not present it with a stipulation.
Speedfirst

Postby Blimpie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:37 am

freddykruger77 wrote:
track_expert wrote:

That is correct and apparently they are all from the same camp.
[

If this is true about the sport drink and the stated banned list notification, who is responsible for such a mix up?. How this is going to be justified?

This is a very big time mess.

Bolt, Anderson, Blake, Chambers and Gonzales are from Mills camp. [/quote]
Blimpie

Postby Tammy_Baby » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am

so blimpie you're fingering the mills camp without proof?
Tammy_Baby

Postby Jerome Marrow » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 am

track_expert wrote:
Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:
Jerome Marrow wrote:
track_expert wrote:

When did crawford test positive?
Whats your notes on crawford's squatting numbers?
Yes, but don't let USATF fool you. This was addressed previously.

They aren't really notes. They are what I saw with my eyes. The weights were huge and he still had a piss poor start. I'd tell you the workouts I saw, but then you would go spouting it off on every goddamn forum.
Also i wasnt talking about the reaction to the gun, there's the force application onto the blocks/first step, there's the first 10m, first 30m on the whole, and ability to transit efficiently from drive phase onto upright position.
And also stride length (which gatlin certainly had covered),

Look at Gatlin's best 30m time. Slower than Gay's best, even when you factor in rxn. Gay consistently has a better start than Gatlin did, not to say that either have particularly incredible starts for their level in the 100m (they aren't going sub 3.8 to 30m).
Jerome Marrow

Previous