Two Jamaica athletes tested positive for Banned substances!

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:25 am

Jon wrote:Whoever it turns out to be, the guilt-by-association is going to have a big effect on the leading sprinters. If it's Blake and/or Anderson, they train with Bolt. If it's Carter and/or Carter, they train with Powell. And if it's Mullings, he trains with Gay (I think... or at least that's what a TV commentator said recently).

I agree. I don't think that's a bad thing though as it often turns out to be correct!
Stephen

Postby The Atheist » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:33 am

LopenUupunut wrote:
The Atheist wrote:Now it's saying that 3 of the 5 that failed the drug test were Jamaican 4x100 team members (2 mens 4x100 team members and 1 womens 4x100 team member).

So now unless it's just Frater and Carter, we are looking at one of the big boys going down I guess.
They almost certainly mean Berlin relay pool rather than last year's OG team. This will be clear if you can find the few posts above that don't involve US and non-US posters fighting each other...

Ah...

This doesn't really change the odds though... given that Bolt and Powell are both on the Berlin 4x100 team... shit...
The Atheist

Postby Infama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 am

The Atheist wrote:
Jon wrote:Latest report says five Jamaicans have tested positive.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... tests.html

Ah fuck...

Now it's saying that 3 of the 5 that failed the drug test were Jamaican 4x100 team members (2 mens 4x100 team members and 1 womens 4x100 team member).

So now unless it's just Frater and Carter, we are looking at one of the big boys going down I guess.

::shakes head::

None of the big names are implicated.
Infama

Postby Infama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:07 am

justblaze1011 wrote:
Tammy_Baby wrote:
nony wrote:
guruof track wrote:"I know a lot of NCAA coaches around the country who are very skeptical of the situation down there in Jamaica," said Al Schmidt, who is now in his 17th season as the head coach for the Mississippi State's men's and women's track teams.

"I guess we were also naive to not fight this as hard as we should have. We put our faith in the JAAA and it appears that they didn't know what they were doing."

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2005/14.php

The situation has not changed since 2004. Its the same exact system. The question is 'Do you have faith in the current system?'

Some people just won't be happy unless Bolt or Asafa test positve. :roll:

I agree with this sentiment also nony. This was my feelings on Trackshark when almost everyone said that steve was pushed under the bus to protect asafa and I was like really??? My thing is while that whole incident was sketchy, you wanna tell me that had asafa been using he wouldnt have been caught already by the iaaf, and i don't think i'm naive to think that...as much as I endured on TS as a Jamaican, I know a lot of these TS posters have changed their tune towards especially asafa and bolt, but are secretly hoping they test postive to confirm their suspicions...I know some are just waiting like vultures for these two names to be called, and don't get me started on how they did SAF

i'll get you started....12.11 to 10.78 during the 2008 year. 11.31 in 2007 to Olympic Champ the next. That extra butter and salt does wonders for Jiffy Pop Popcorn ah???

LMAO :lol: :wink:

Hahahaha

Yuh aggo tiad fi si wi face

Cant get we outta da race.

Its just a big disgrace
But yuh draw bad card
Yuh mek wrong move

You will be ultimately disappointed in your overblown expectation of this saga.
Infama

Postby Jon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 am

Infama wrote:None of the big names are implicated.
But like I said above, whichever athletes it is, it's going to be bad news for the sport. I can see the headlines now:

"Bolt's/Powell's/Gay's* training partners test positive"

*delete as appropriate
Jon

Postby Infama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 am

Jon wrote:
Infama wrote:None of the big names are implicated.
But like I said above, whichever athletes it is, it's going to be bad news for the sport. I can see the headlines now:

"Bolt's/Powell's/Gay's* training partners test positive"

*delete as appropriate

Agreed

My response was to the premature rejoicers. They know who they are!
Infama

Postby Mikewats » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:49 am

I'm guessing Mullings is one of them.
Mikewats

Postby Gordon18 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 am

anyone have any guesses who it is, you can pm me if you want, im think mullings and anderson
Gordon18

Postby 3a » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 am

Stephen wrote:
Jon wrote:Whoever it turns out to be, the guilt-by-association is going to have a big effect on the leading sprinters. If it's Blake and/or Anderson, they train with Bolt. If it's Carter and/or Carter, they train with Powell. And if it's Mullings, he trains with Gay (I think... or at least that's what a TV commentator said recently).

I agree. I don't think that's a bad thing though as it often turns out to be correct!
Half this board will be banned for posting speculative posts. Totally agree though. I think it would be worse if it was MVP as they seem to live in each others pockets.

Having said that, Gatlin was banned and Shawn Crawford maintained a glossy image. Indeed, he's the perfect fair sport by all reports lately.
3a

Postby 3a » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:06 am

Mikewats wrote:I'm guessing Mullings is one of them.
If so, he's banned for life. We'll know tomorrow as he's due to start in Madrid.
3a

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:29 am

Well, according to the Jamaica Observa, 2 men who finished in the top 6 at the trials in the 100m are among the ones who tested positive. So, here are the candidates:

Top 6 men 100m

Bolt
Powell
Frater
Anderson
Mullings
Blake

The article, which appears on the news section of T&FN front page, says that it is not a top tier runner. But what do they mean top tier? Two of these 6 have tested positive for something. Oh boy, this is going to get dicey.
TrainerPhil

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:36 am

Would they pull these athletes from upcoming meets based on these positive results or do they have to wait for sample B to be tested? Can these athletes appeal and continue to participate while the appeals are being heard?

What I'm getting at is could we see Jamaican athletes, who were supposed participate today, be pulled from their scheduled races? If yes, then we will know today which athletes are safe..........
TrainerPhil

Postby dakota » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 am

Any word when they're going to announce this?
dakota

Postby Infama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:40 am

TrainerPhil wrote:Well, according to the Jamaica Observa, 2 men who finished in the top 6 at the trials in the 100m are among the ones who tested positive. So, here are the candidates:

Top 6 men 100m

Bolt
Powell
Frater
Anderson
Mullings
Blake

The article, which appears on the news section of T&FN front page, says that it is not a top tier runner. But what do they mean top tier? Two of these 6 have tested positive for something. Oh boy, this is going to get dicey.

Top tier is clearly top 3! All former global medallists.
Infama

Postby Kevin Richardson » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:00 am

[quote="Infama"][

Hahahaha

Yuh aggo tiad fi si wi face

Cant get we outta da race.

Its just a big disgrace
But yuh draw bad card
Yuh mek wrong move

Wow. You just cited one of my favorite Tuff Gong tunes! Thanks for picking me up today. 8-)
Kevin Richardson

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:01 am

Maybe it is a coincidence, but I don't see Marvin Anderson listed as a participant in the 200m today. He was on the original list and he has been replaced by Jamaican Nickel Ashmeade. Here is the start list:

1 Kim COLLINS SKN 20.20 20.55

2 Jaysuma SAIDY NDURE NOR 19.89 20.67

3 Nickel ASHMEADE JAM

4 Mark JELKS USA 20.28 20.28

5 Marlon DEVONISH GBR 20.19 20.55

6 Tyson GAY USA 19.58 19.58

7 Wallace SPEARMON USA 19.65 19.98

8 Paul HESSION IRL 20.30 20.50
TrainerPhil

Postby shearer39 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 am

Anderson is hurt, and there is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye. Meeting being convened at the Prime Minister's office to try to make sense of what is happening.
shearer39

Postby gh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:57 am

Suspect that what will happen is that quickly establish that it's not Usain Bolt the government will twist enough arms that the rights of the accused to have confidentiality until the B-stage is done will magically disappear.

For the good of the sport, I guess it has to be done, but a pox on whomever prematurely leaked the story in the first place.
gh

Postby Gordon18 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:58 am

shearer39 wrote:Anderson is hurt, and there is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye. Meeting being convened at the Prime Minister's office to try to make sense of what is happening.

they trying to say that someone set these athletes up?
Gordon18

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:02 am

Could this actually be only a rumor? Why not just throw the biggest names under the bus is one wanted to start a rumor?!
TrainerPhil

Postby guruof track » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 am

Now the prime minister is involved? :?
guruof track

Postby kamikaze7 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:10 am

This is classic Radio Trottoir
kamikaze7

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 am

guruof track wrote:Now the prime minister is involved? :?

Well, Bolt's picture is EVERWHERE in Jamaica. In the airports, at hotels, at the all he tourist attractions. You can buy a t-shirt with his likeness on the front everywhere. Jamaica has invested so much in it's sprinters after Beijing, especially Bolt. I'm sure the Prime Minister just wants to make sure that his Island isn't about lose on their investments.
TrainerPhil

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:15 am

Stephen wrote:

That's a bit irresponsible. So, if a baseball player tests positive for a banned substance, example Manny Ramirez, you automatically assume all of his teammates are taking stuff as well (Dodgers)? You are riding in a car with your friend and you get pulled over. As your friend steps out of the car a bag of weed falls to the pavement. Your friend is under arrest. So using your own theory, you are guilty by association. Because your friend does drugs, you must do drugs too?

You absolutely cannot connect one with the other. That is how the reputation of some of the best, and cleanest, athletes get tarnished.
TrainerPhil

Postby shearer39 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:23 am

Gordon18 wrote:
shearer39 wrote:Anderson is hurt, and there is a lot more to this issue than meets the eye. Meeting being convened at the Prime Minister's office to try to make sense of what is happening.

they trying to say that someone set these athletes up?

I dont think that is the issue. Unfortunately, I am unable to say more. But there are some things that dont add up.

And no, Bolt and Asafa are not among the athletes nor is VCB.
shearer39

Postby 3a » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 am

TrainerPhil wrote:
That's a bit irresponsible. So, if a baseball player tests positive for a banned substance, example Manny Ramirez, you automatically assume all of his teammates are taking stuff as well (Dodgers)? d.
Awful parallel. :roll:
3a

Postby Tammy_Baby » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 am

I am now hearing from my aunt back home that radio station Fame FM has reported that it's 3 athletes 2 sprinters and a sprint hurdler, and that it's a high profile athlete, not clear if such athlete is the sprinter or hurdler :?
Tammy_Baby

Postby Fortis4Eva » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 am

So many different reports I'm betting most are just rumors ............ I will just wait untill the official report comes out
Fortis4Eva

Postby guruof track » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 am

Tammy_Baby wrote:I am now hearing from my aunt back home that radio station Fame FM has reported that it's 3 athletes 2 sprinters and a sprint hurdler, and that it's a high profile athlete, not clear if such athlete is the sprinter or hurdler :?

Jamaica has high profile hurdlers??? McFarland maybe.............
guruof track

Postby jjimbojames » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:46 am

guruof track wrote:
Tammy_Baby wrote:I am now hearing from my aunt back home that radio station Fame FM has reported that it's 3 athletes 2 sprinters and a sprint hurdler, and that it's a high profile athlete, not clear if such athlete is the sprinter or hurdler :?

Has several female sprint hurdlers
jjimbojames

Postby pachip » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:48 am

guruof track wrote:

Dwight Thomas maybe? not as hurdler...but...
pachip

Postby Gordon18 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 am

what the site for the carrabiean track and field forum some guys go on, they probably know who the athletes are by now
Gordon18

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 am

track_expert wrote:Do you guys think by testing athletes, it is the sure way to catch them? What about unknown and undetectable drugs? Very naive to assume everyon who tests negative is also 100% clean.

This applies to each and every athlete, bar none. Why are the athletes tested, because they're known to be clean, why test if you know they're clean. Point is, we don't know.

One of the things that get's me, is when anyone attempts to defend a country and/or athlete, like they KNOW for certain what goes on, you gotta be with someone 24/7 every second of the day.
Speedfirst

Postby guruof track » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:53 am

I'm sure whom ever the woman is she has braces. :lol:
guruof track

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:59 am

nony wrote:
guruof track wrote:"I know a lot of NCAA coaches around the country who are very skeptical of the situation down there in Jamaica," said Al Schmidt, who is now in his 17th season as the head coach for the Mississippi State's men's and women's track teams.

"I guess we were also naive to not fight this as hard as we should have. We put our faith in the JAAA and it appears that they didn't know what they were doing."

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2005/14.php

The situation has not changed since 2004. Its the same exact system. The question is 'Do you have faith in the current system?'

Some people just won't be happy unless Bolt or Asafa test positve. :roll:

Are you telling me you can vouche for them or any other athlete? No one is wishing the 2 biggest stars of Jamaica's team is a cheat, but if you can say you are with them 24/7, every second of the day, then you can vouche for them.
Speedfirst

Postby Gordon18 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 am

Speedfirst wrote:
track_expert wrote:Do you guys think by testing athletes, it is the sure way to catch them? What about unknown and undetectable drugs? Very naive to assume everyon who tests negative is also 100% clean.

This applies to each and every athlete, bar none. Why are the athletes tested, because they're known to be clean, why test if you know they're clean. Point is, we don't know.

One of the things that get's me, is when anyone attempts to defend a country and/or athlete, like they KNOW for certain what goes on, you gotta be with someone 24/7 every second of the day.

LOL i see what you mean. It's more wishfull thinking than knowing. Personally after watching a reading about the whole balco scandal i suspect almost everyone, that way i wont be disappointed or make a fool out of my self or anything. TBH i would be more pissed if certain people actually get caught, rather than the fact they use drugs, lol people gonna think i'm some wasteman now lol
Gordon18

Postby track_expert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 am

Speedfirst wrote:

There's no point in defending or accusing, but for example on topic with anabolic steroids. It doesnt take a genius to notice someone suddenly gets massive and strong/ripped very quickly and runs PBs.
track_expert

Postby TrainerPhil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:16 am

I guess many of us would like to believe that MOST of the top track and field athletes do what they do clean. If they were all dirty, then what's the point of even watching anymore?
TrainerPhil

Postby Jon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 am

Latest reports popping up on google news suggest it could be as many as seven athletes now...
Jon

Postby Speedfirst » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 am

track_expert wrote:
Speedfirst wrote:

There's no point in defending or accusing, but for example on topic with anabolic steroids. It doesnt take a genius to notice someone suddenly gets massive and strong/ripped very quickly and runs PBs.

Come on now, let's not reduce this to anabolic steriods, or someone suddenly getting massive. My point remains, each and every athlete should be held under the same scrutiny.
Speedfirst

PreviousNext