Another view of Hitler

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Another view of Hitler

Postby tandfman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

It would never occur to me to feel ambivalent about Hitler. But I'm not the boss of Formula One.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 632991.ece

Does he have a favourite historical dictator — Stalin, perhaps, or Mussolini? “Maggie’s gone,” he says. Then he pauses and continues, thoughtfully: “In a lot of ways, terrible to say this I suppose, but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was in the way that he could command a lot of people able to get things done.”

He must know that this is controversial . . . but the delivery is deadpan rather than deliberately provocative. He seems to see Hitler as a passive bystander who was too weak to stop the Holocaust.

“In the end he got lost so he wasn’t a very good dictator. Either he knew what was going on and insisted, or he just went along with it — either way he wasn’t a dictator.”
tandfman

Postby mrbowie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:35 pm

5'4" says it all
mrbowie

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Ah yes, Hitler was the victim. Poor fellow . . .
Marlow