How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

Postby BillVol » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Especially on govt property, such as the mall in DC? This might offend someone from Mexico or Saudi Arabia. How can we fly US flags for that matter? Or say the pledge? (I guess that's out now.) What's next?

When you think about it, the 4th of July is so politically incorrect, so insensitive. So is the Star Spangled Banner. We should just call ourselves "that country between Canada and Mexico."

I remember back at the '96 OGs, many of the foreign media were upset because the American fans cheered for American athletes and had the gall to wave American flags. They were right. Never mind that Spanish fans cheered for Spanish athletes in '92, etc.
BillVol

Re: How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:45 pm

BillVol wrote:Especially on govt property, such as the mall in DC? This might offend someone from Mexico or Saudi Arabia. How can we fly US flags for that matter? Or say the pledge? (I guess that's out now.) What's next?

Bill, you're supposed to get drunk on New Year's Eve, not the 4th of July. Dial it back a bit, bro!
Marlow

Postby BillVol » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Marlow, how about "Imagine" for our new national anthem. That wouldn't offend anybody, would it?
BillVol

Postby gh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:08 am

I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:17 am

BillVol wrote:Marlow, how about "Imagine" for our new national anthem. That wouldn't offend anybody, would it?

"Imagine no religion too"
Yeah, I think someone won't like that.
Marlow

Re: How can we legally celebrate the 4th anymore?

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 am

BillVol wrote:Never mind that Spanish fans cheered for Spanish athletes in '92, etc.

Were they silent for the rest?
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:26 am

gh wrote:I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.

It's a mystery to me, too. I wasn't aware that patriotism was now considered to be politically incorrect by anyone, regardless of political persuasion.
tandfman

Postby BillVol » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 am

tandfman wrote:
gh wrote:I'm not zackly sure where this rant is coming from.

It's a mystery to me, too. I wasn't aware that patriotism was now considered to be politically incorrect by anyone, regardless of political persuasion.

tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.

We had a wonderful 4th of July yesterday. But at the same time, it is sad to see what is becoming of this country.
BillVol

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:23 am

BillVol wrote:tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.

By a complete nincompoop! I have NEVER met anyone with that misguided perspective.
Marlow

Postby Cooter Brown » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 am

Marlow wrote:
BillVol wrote:tandf, I remember after 9/11, when American flags suddenly appeared all over NYC, a commentator saying something to the effect that people in that area did not fly US flags like they used to because it had become considered to be insensitve toward non-Americans. Just one example.

By a complete nincompoop! I have NEVER met anyone with that misguided perspective.

Sounds like something you'd hear on Faux News to stir up a nonexistent issue.
Cooter Brown