the use of first names for athletes [split]

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Postby Daisy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:13 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:Or did you only see tandfman's "opinion?"

Ah, only the later. I guess I need to read the other thread. Where is it?
Daisy

Postby TrackDaddy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:14 pm

gh wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Purely personal preference: When officiating, I never address any athlete of any age or gender directly by their first name, the exception being athletes with difficult foreign names who ask me to use the more pronounceable of their names.
That said, I don't see it as inappropriate to use first names, initials, nick-names or whatever in a forum such as this, as long as we know which athlete is being referred to.

At the national championships about a decade ago I was working the infield and they had the women's discus. The head official called every woman by first name. Immediately following was the men's discus and the same official called every man by last name.

Opposing that is not being PC.

It's being aware of subtle sexism (women as little girls not to be taken seriously) and doing something about it. Hence, it remains the stance of this board's management that using a double standard is offensive and makes management unhappy.

Daisy,

You only need to read this thread.
TrackDaddy

Postby Daisy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:22 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:You only need to read this thread.

Now I get you.

gh wrote:Hence, it remains the stance of this board's management that using a double standard is offensive and makes management unhappy.

Depends how much you want to lawyer that statement. I did not read that as no first names allowed. I read it as no double standard.

So as long as the brits are calling Christie and Jackson, Linford and Colin, which I think they might do, they can say Paula and Nicola. I guess?

It's hard for me to tell the context of tandfman's original comment as I don't know which thread this was split from. I assume there was not consistency with regard to usage which is where the double standard bit kicks in.
Daisy

Postby mojo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:46 pm

TrackDaddy wrote:
mojo wrote:If I said the name Marion here I think we would all know who I meant.

In the future just use Jones and label us stupid if we don't make the connection. :roll:

That could mean Lolo Jones although I would use polar opposite adjectives to describe her and the other Jones so perhaps you could decipher who I was talking about.
mojo

Postby TrackDaddy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:07 pm

mojo wrote:
TrackDaddy wrote:
mojo wrote:If I said the name Marion here I think we would all know who I meant.

In the future just use Jones and label us stupid if we don't make the connection. :roll:

That could mean Lolo Jones although I would use polar opposite adjectives to describe her and the other Jones so perhaps you could decipher who I was talking about.

:lol:

Well when you do describe them using adjectives, remember to be politically correct.
TrackDaddy

Postby gh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm

mojo wrote:I definitely think an announcer should call all the athletes by their last names. It does seem sexist to call the women (and don't EVER call them girls unless they are under 18 :x ) by their first names and not the men. It is very subtle but it implies to me that they should be taken less seriously. "Mary is stepping into the ring for her final throw just sounds weaker than Smith is taking his/her final throw".

I am all over the map with first and last names. Gary is Gary...no need to explain which Gary. :P :wink: Perdita is Perdita.

I call Sanya Richards Sanya most of the time...I call Andreas...well we wont go there. :lol:

I don't think it is sexist in casual converstaion to mix surnames with first names.
If I said the name Marion here I think we would all know who I meant. Same with Tyson. Or Usain.

Results, announcing, and reporting should be consistent and the last name has always been the standard usage.

For newbies, note that Mojo is the voice of a woman.

Bottom line is that management frowns on (discriminatory) first-name calls. Be kind to management and management will be kind to you.

If you wish to debate free speech and first-amendment rights, we suggest yuo check back on the July 4 weekend when the "free speech" forum has its once-a-year-opening. Until then the amendment that trumps all is that gh (proudly) is a raging feminist.

Now, back to track & field talk.
gh

Postby EPelle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Calling women out on a first-name basis was previously discussed on a Suzy Favor-Hamilton retirement thread

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... p?p=158940

There was an even earlier thread about first-name calling upon which this general discussion was based which has since been deleted.
EPelle

Postby Pego » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:50 am

I came late to this party, so here is my nickel.

To show respect is a basic courtesy, not PC. I have been as guilty as anybody on this topic and my tongue will probably still slip at times. Then again, I am reminded of George Burns' quip.
"Granma always reminded me to be polite to my elders. I no longer need to be polite to anybody."

Hey lonewolf, ain't that great :D ?
Pego

Postby Taliban » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:19 am

What a waste....
Taliban

Postby guruof track » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 am

Jones has stated she is looking to have an incredible season this year....Williams as well.

I wish these to women much success.
guruof track

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Pego wrote:I came late to this party, so here is my nickel.

To show respect is a basic courtesy, not PC. I have been as guilty as anybody on this topic and my tongue will probably still slip at times. Then again, I am reminded of George Burns' quip.
"Granma always reminded me to be polite to my elders. I no longer need to be polite to anybody."

Hey lonewolf, ain't that great :D ?

I missed this thread last time around but, yep, age does have that advantage, if it is an advantage. On the other hand, I have mixed emotions about being considered so doddering no one take offense at what I say. :)

As to how to address athletes, I can settle that.
Both women and men over HS age should be addressed at Ms or Mr when spoken to directly and called up by last name only when flight coordinating.
Simple.
lonewolf

Previous