KU RELAYS ENTRY TIMES

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

KU RELAYS ENTRY TIMES

Postby steepler » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:02 pm

Has anyone noticed how dishonest many coaches have become in their entries for races. The Kansas relays took place this weekend and many, many teams entered false seed information which led to runners to be placed in the wrong heats. This led to not enough competition in some of the key races and too much for some athletes in others.
I picked one team from the list of teams and found all but one of their 24 entries were completely and totally incorrect. This coach made up meets from out of nowhere and even had the tenacity to claim that his athletes ran certain times at nationals last year when the said athlete was not even in the race, nor made the qualifying time. (If you would like to see my research on this team, their entered KU times, and the links to all of their correct times you can email me @ KUtrackfan@yahoo.com)
By doing things like this coaches are just being counterproductive to the sport. If an athlete does not have the results to get into a heat or a race then they should not be in that race and that is all there is to it. It causes those few honest seed times to be in less competitive heats, and possibly (in the worst case scenario) not even making the meet.
steepler

Re: KU RELAYS ENTRY TIMES

Postby runninonempty » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:15 am

I ran in the relays this year and I agree. I agree especially in the distance and middle distance events. There were some people who obviously could not run the times their coaches entered. My coach entered ours accurately and we were hurt becuase of it. I guess there is no way to win for us honest people anymore because we can either live with it or lie too and I personally will not be involved in that!
runninonempty

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:01 pm

If you look closely you'll find that the KU runners times were among the most "fudged". Kind of funny how the coaches for the home team can't even turn in honest times.

Postby dl » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:30 pm

But if every coach is lying about times, do you want your kids to be stuck in a slow heat if you're honest? Tough question.

dan
dl

Postby dl » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:30 pm

But if every coach is lying about times, do you want your kids to be stuck in a slow heat if you're honest? Tough question.

dan
dl

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:27 pm

I've seen hs and collegiate meets charge an additional entry fee or subtract team points in scored meets for each athlete performing under their entered mark. Are we to the point where such a thing is necessary?

Postby runninonempty » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:01 pm

I think that meet directors should most likely be in charge of discover flagrant misquotations of entries. When the athlete has not actually performed that time at the meet specified the athlete should be removed from the meet and the coach should be reprimanded by their school.
In no other NCAA sport can you lie about your performances. Why can it not be against NCAA rules and have stiff punishment for violators?
runninonempty

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:56 pm

I have to agree with you concerning false times. However, it doesn't just occur at meets like the Kansas Relays, but meets all over the country.

I just came from a collegiate conference meet in North Carolina this past weekend where certain schools "fluffed" the performances of their athletes. Needless to say, when it came time for the athletes to show their stuff, their performances were a little flat (course the weather may have had something to do with it).

Whatever the case, may be, coaches do their athletes an extreme disservice by listing performances they know their athletes didn't achieve. It doesn't benefit the athlete and it robs the fans of witnessing true competition.

I believe that meet directors have to do a better job at scruitnizing athletic performances whenever they receive meet entries. Not everyone has an LSU, Texas, Tennessee, or any other top-flight D1, D2, D3, or NAIA athlete.