Demus Out Of NCAA!

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Demus Out Of NCAA!

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 10:07 am

There goes South Carolina's team chances. Some details to follow on our home page shortly. (She will run USATF.)
gh

Re: Demus Out Of NCAA!

Postby vaulter83 » Thu May 29, 2003 12:22 pm

Just let me say I love the new T&FN website. The up to date news about athletes is great.
vaulter83

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 1:36 pm

details now on home page
gh

Postby gh » Thu May 29, 2003 1:37 pm

also up is a revised formchart (both men and women, actually) after this: South Carolina would now seem to be dead in the water in terms of defending NCAA women's team title.
gh

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 6:27 pm

This is huge news and sad. If this was for the NCAA basketball tourney we'd know EXACTLY why she was suspended. But since it's track we can't count on SportsCenter to snoop around.

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2003 4:32 am

grades. she did not pass 6 hours

Postby Angel*Perkins*Rules* » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:28 am

it wasn't grades i don't think.. they said it was a suspension thing, but i dunno if you get suspended for that..
Angel*Perkins*Rules*

Postby The Professor » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:03 am

>it wasn't grades i don't think.. they said it was
a suspension thing, but i dunno if you get
suspended for that..<

At most respectable colleges and universities, if you fail too many courses, you are suspended, put on academic probation, or dismissed from school. Of course, at most such institutions, students are taught such basic English language skills as capitalizing the nominative case of the pronoun of the first person. Thus, it is understandable that you would not be aware of the fact that one can be suspended for poor grades.
The Professor

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:48 pm

It's been reported that she showed up late to check in for her event at the Conference meet. The coaches decided to pull her from that event, and all others, including the NCAA's. Obviously there is some history, and an attempt by the coaches to teach, implied in their actions.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:03 pm

>It's been reported that she showed up late to
check in for her event at the Conference meet.
the coaches decided to pull her from that event,
and all others, including the NCAA's. Obviously
there is some history, and an attempt by the
coaches to teach, implied in their actions.<

So you think Demus's coaches pulled her from the NCAA meet, thereby sinking any chance at a team victory, just to teach her a lesson in promptness? I'm a real admirer of Curtis Frye, but I'd be astonished if that turned out to be the whole story.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:52 pm

No. I don't think she was kept out of the NCAA's because of a single incident. But if she was eligible for the Conference, I doubt that grades that kept her out of NCAA's. By history, I mean there must have been a series of incidents that finally were too much (can we now call this the Nueheisel syndrome?).