High School Track Power Rankings

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

High School Track Power Rankings

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:00 am

Ive created an application to ranks HS track teams, kinda like how the NCAA power rankings work. its an Ohio-based site, but teams from other states are more than welcome to add thier stats.

http://www.ohiorunner.com/highschools/power-rankings

Re: High School Track Power Rankings

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:27 pm

WOW it is amazing how many girls teams in ohio are considered better then long beach poly. i always thought the top high school track teams were in texas, california and florida, but by reading this list, i learned something new today, i guess ohio, has a lot of future jesse owens coming up.

Postby jhc68 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:38 pm

So far as I could see LB Poly is not in the data base so it is dumb to ridicule the rankings system on that basis. Actually, it is an interesting, fun idea that has a chance to catch on. If a lot of teams submit marks it could be really entertaining, cause lots of arguments and completely overwhelm the webmaster with info.
jhc68

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:13 pm

actually youd be surprised how good Ohio is at track, they had 5 of the top 6 4x800 teams at nationals this year on the boys side. not to mention a 4:06 sophomore miler. and this isnt a fluke, its been like that for several decades. as far as 4x1 and 4x4's go though, youll see the really hot times out of texas and florida, but overall, team wise Ohio has a lot of really solid HS programs. (not sure if its still true, but i remember Ohio State had the NCAA 4x4 record, with an all ohio squad, something like 3:11 or maybe it was 3:09, like i said, not sure if it still stands.)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:49 pm

Train,
You haven't created anything. You are ripping-off a concept I originated in 1996 and have been doing ever since. The real Power Ratings have apeared in Track & Field News, American Track & Field magazine and USA Today. Since the H.S. season as just concluded I'm just now starting the compiling process. You can be sure I will not be overlooking a team like Long Beach Poly, girls or boys. Check www.hstrack.com to see how it's really done. Ranking teams takes more than a flashy website.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:33 am

Andy,
Power Rankings go back long before 1996. I dont think you "originated" the idea. My site is for fun and for Ohio, but other states started adding thiers (hmm maybe for lack of ability to do so anywhere else, even on a national site?)

Besides, if you want to get technical, i think your ratings uses a lookup table to score events, mine uses percentiles in each event, whihc is actually a better picture because scores are based on what the field does. To my knowledge im the first person ever to do that, maybe I "originated" something!