The Future of the Republican Party


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
tandfman wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: I do work with a highly educated Palin supporter who willingly admits that she's very ignorant, but likes her anyway because of her stance on the social issues.

Doesn't your co-worker think that McCain could have, and should have, found someone with similar stances on the social issues who is not very ignorant?

He hates McCain and views Palin as a future star who was brought up to the big leagues too soon.

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:The fact that you actually know people who think that way surprises me. I've heard people express reservations about voting for a Black man, and I probably know others who have those reservations but wouldn't express them. But I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who would be concerned about voting for a woman.

I live at the epi-center of the fundamentalist church of America.

The Bible [Ephesians 5:22-24] says:
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Guess how that is interpreted around here by some (not most, but enough to be scary).

Although I have contributed to this Forum in the past week and wouldn't argue with gh's decision to open it up, I must say that some of the stuff that has come out here has been awfully depressing. I'm not so insulated from the real world that I am unaware that this kind of thinking exists out there. But I don't enjoy being reminded of it by real people, whom I enjoy conversing with about track, reporting on the real world they see in their immediate environment.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby Mennisco » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:14 am

Elizabeth Dole is quite the lady, it seems:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/29 ... odless-ad/

Tacky, vicious, crude, irrelevant. Maybe she's the Antichrist. [Marlow, don't even think of it. :lol: ]
Mennisco
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Flumpy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 am

eldrick wrote:
Per Andersen wrote:over the pond, in europe, we are used to our politicians being "sophisticates"

guys like gordon brown, sarkozy, berlusconi ( he still prez ? ) & possibly merkel ( i haven't followed her much, german posters advise ) are consumate politicians with huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc, & over here we do tend to favor/appreciate that/them

when i found out palin's background & very real possibilty she can become prez ( mccain isn't too healthy looking ), it made me grinch to think how the euro politicians were going to deal with her in discussing matters & at what low level they will have to pitch their discussions

she obviously will carry the big stick, but it will be akin to a father/mother being bossed around & told what to do by their teenage daughter !

she will not go down well in europe unless she gets an intellect transplant !


Berlusconi isn't a 'sophisticate' or have a 'huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc,'. He's just a billionaire who owns nearly all of the Italian media. He would have had no problem pitching his discussion level low enough. He probably would have just pinched her arse and told her he wanted to sleep with her.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 pm

tandfman wrote:[Although I have contributed to this Forum in the past week and wouldn't argue with gh's decision to open it up, I must say that some of the stuff that has come out here has been awfully depressing. I'm not so insulated from the real world that I am unaware that this kind of thinking exists out there. But I don't enjoy being reminded of it by real people, whom I enjoy conversing with about track, reporting on the real world they see in their immediate environment.


tandfman, welcome to my teeny little club.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Mennisco wrote:Elizabeth Dole is quite the lady, it seems:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/29 ... odless-ad/

Tacky, vicious, crude, irrelevant. Maybe she's the Antichrist. [Marlow, don't even think of it. :lol: ]

That has to be the most dishonest ad I've ever seen. Campbell Brown summed it up perfectly.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:That has to be the most dishonest ad I've ever seen. Campbell Brown summed it up perfectly.


But, what if she was an atheist? Likewise, what if Obama was a muslim? Does no one find it a little disconcerting that these labels can fuel such negative reactions from people in the US, the so-called melting pot? The so-called land of opportunity?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 pm

lonewolf wrote:
tandfman wrote:[Although I have contributed to this Forum in the past week and wouldn't argue with gh's decision to open it up, I must say that some of the stuff that has come out here has been awfully depressing. I'm not so insulated from the real world that I am unaware that this kind of thinking exists out there. But I don't enjoy being reminded of it by real people, whom I enjoy conversing with about track, reporting on the real world they see in their immediate environment.


tandfman, welcome to my teeny little club.

I'm not depressed about this. Considering when and where you grew up, I would be even more surprised if you shared my views. By the way, you may have talked about this before, but I've often wondered how the lives of Native Americans from your era compared to Blacks who grew up in the 1930's thru 40's. Did you have an easier time assimilating than Blacks? My impression is that you were probably accepted much more readily than Blacks, but I could be wrong. If you've already discussed this elsewhere, I would appreciate it if you would direct me to the thread.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby kuha » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:That has to be the most dishonest ad I've ever seen. Campbell Brown summed it up perfectly.


But, what if she was an atheist? Likewise, what if Obama was a muslim? Does no one find it a little disconcerting that these labels can fuel such negative reactions from people in the US, the so-called melting pot? The so-called land of opportunity?


Does anyone find this "a little disconcerting"???????? Hell, YES!
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Per Andersen wrote:
With the Palin pick McCain demonstrated how unfit he was for the office of President and that the "Country First" slogan meant absolutely nothing.


Read an article that interviewed on of McCain's fellow POWs. He said the unwritten rule of the military was "country first". He said McCain threw that out the window instantly so he could get medical attention from the Viet Cong. He said any dedicated soldier would've taken death and many did. Once they found out he was an admiral's son, he never again suffered torture and was treated better than other prisoners since they knew he was of value alive as a bargaining chip.

The article also said McCain should've never graduated from flight training since he crashed two planes due to pilot error when one crash got every other pilot kicked out (his admiral daddy pulled strings to keep him flying).

Also, the fellow POW wasn't impressed with McCain always playing up that he turned down release. He said almost every POW turned down release because to get release you had to sign a doc denouncing America and any soldier that signed it faced a courtmartial and prison.
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:That has to be the most dishonest ad I've ever seen. Campbell Brown summed it up perfectly.


But, what if she was an atheist? Likewise, what if Obama was a muslim? Does no one find it a little disconcerting that these labels can fuel such negative reactions from people in the US, the so-called melting pot? The so-called land of opportunity?

If it was true, then it would just be "sleezy" and "divisive", but not "dishonest". However, I don't know too many atheists who teach Sunday school, and I'll bet that Dole doesn't either.. Either way, it's demagoguery in its crudest form.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:
Per Andersen wrote:
With the Palin pick McCain demonstrated how unfit he was for the office of President and that the "Country First" slogan meant absolutely nothing.


Read an article that interviewed on of McCain's fellow POWs. He said the unwritten rule of the military was "country first". He said McCain threw that out the window instantly so he could get medical attention from the Viet Cong. He said any dedicated soldier would've taken death and many did. Once they found out he was an admiral's son, he never again suffered torture and was treated better than other prisoners since they knew he was of value alive as a bargaining chip.

The article also said McCain should've never graduated from flight training since he crashed two planes due to pilot error when one crash got every other pilot kicked out (his admiral daddy pulled strings to keep him flying).

Also, the fellow POW wasn't impressed with McCain always playing up that he turned down release. He said almost every POW turned down release because to get release you had to sign a doc denouncing America and any soldier that signed it faced a courtmartial and prison.

More on this phase of his life in the long Rolling Stone piece on McCain, which you can find at:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers ... ohn_mccain
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby eldrick » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Flumpy wrote:Berlusconi isn't a 'sophisticate' or have a 'huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc,'


you don't become italy's one time richest man by being a dumbf*ck

as for politics, he had to endure a system which threw up machiavelli !

the guy knows more about politics than 1/2 the world leaders combined !
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 am

eldrick wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Berlusconi isn't a 'sophisticate' or have a 'huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc,'


you don't become italy's one time richest man by being a dumbf*ck

as for politics, he had to endure a system which threw up machiavelli !

the guy knows more about politics than 1/2 the world leaders combined !

Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:30 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.

Who has ascribed great political acumen to Palin?!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:44 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.

Who has ascribed great political acumen to Palin?!

To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:46 am

jazzcyclist wrote:To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.

Mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska requires 'some' acumen, not a 'great' lot. Her Couric interview revealed how little she actually has.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Daisy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.

Mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska requires 'some' acumen, not a 'great' lot. Her Couric interview revealed how little she actually has.


I don't recall the details but didn't she get swept in because the other guy was so bad? Or was that the run off for which republican got nominated? Even then, could a republican lose a race for the governorship in Alaska?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:48 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.

Mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska requires 'some' acumen, not a 'great' lot. Her Couric interview revealed how little she actually has.

The Couric interview only revealed a dearth of knowledge and intellect, but said nothing about her political skills. Palin can't touch McCain when it comes to knowledge and preparedness for President, but McCain can't match Palin in the political arena.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:30 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.

Mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska requires 'some' acumen, not a 'great' lot. Her Couric interview revealed how little she actually has.


"Mayor" of a town where she won with 900 votes. "Governor" of a state that would only qualify as the 20th largest city in the US.

I think the beer drinking goat that was elected mayor in a town in West Texas won with more votes than that.
Cooter Brown
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Austin

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The Couric interview only revealed a dearth of knowledge and intellect, but said nothing about her political skills. Palin can't touch McCain when it comes to knowledge and preparedness for President, but McCain can't match Palin in the political arena.

I clearly sensed a lack of political awareness (not just ignorance) in her answers, as though she did not understand how they would be perceived. I'm sure she THOUGHT she did much better than she did. That seems to be her heroic flaw, she thinks she glib and 'together', but she's not.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:The Couric interview only revealed a dearth of knowledge and intellect, but said nothing about her political skills. Palin can't touch McCain when it comes to knowledge and preparedness for President, but McCain can't match Palin in the political arena.

I clearly sensed a lack of political awareness (not just ignorance) in her answers, as though she did not understand how they would be perceived. I'm sure she THOUGHT she did much better than she did. That seems to be her heroic flaw, she thinks she glib and 'together', but she's not.

The only time I got the impression that she was confident and actually thought her b.s. was creditable is when she touted Alaska's proximity to Russia as giving her foreign policy experience. The other times it seemed like she knew she was in over her head, but knew that she couldn't answer all the questions with, "I'll get back to you on that." When Charlie Gibson asked her about the Bush Doctrine, she looked like a deer caught in headlights. And when Couric asked her about the government bailout, she seemed like a nervous 12 year-old in a spelling bee.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby gh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:05 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.

Who has ascribed great political acumen to Palin?!

To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.


I think Palin is a very good politician. Question is, if Obama wins, who do the Republicans throw up against him in '12? With four years to hone her knowledge and become better known nationwide, is she a viable presidential candidate?

Are there a lot of disillusioned Hillary fans out there who wouldn't defect for a woman as VP candidate, but might for a Prez?
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:09 am

gh wrote:Palin . . .is she a viable presidential candidate?

I think the more we know about her, the less likely she will be a viable candidate.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21134
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby racewalker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:56 am

gh wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.

Who has ascribed great political acumen to Palin?!

To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.


I think Palin is a very good politician. Question is, if Obama wins, who do the Republicans throw up against him in '12? With four years to hone her knowledge and become better known nationwide, is she a viable presidential candidate?

Are there a lot of disillusioned Hillary fans out there who wouldn't defect for a woman as VP candidate, but might for a Prez?


No, she won't be a good candidate:
1) You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
2) Her politics scale well to Alaska, but will be too extreme for the general populace. She was brought in to shore up the base, while McCain could go after the independents.

As to who the ReShrublicans might put up in 2012, it takes one of two forms:
1) If Obama is a poor president, they will go to a "standard" candidate. Someone who is for God and country and can point to a record that basically says "I told you that Obama was a loser and his politics/values would ruin the country." Think Ronnie Ray-gun vs. Carter.
2) If Obama is a good president, they will put up a sacrifical lamb a la Bob Dole and put more energy into winning back the Congressional seats it looks like they will lose. However, it also means that they will start grooming someone for 2016 along the Obama lines - younger, articulate and positive, but with conservative values.
racewalker
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:57 am

gh wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Great political acumen doesn't necessarily require great knowledge or intellect and no one illustrates this better than Sarah Palin.

Who has ascribed great political acumen to Palin?!

To get so far with so little requires great political acumen, IMHO.


I think Palin is a very good politician. Question is, if Obama wins, who do the Republicans throw up against him in '12? With four years to hone her knowledge and become better known nationwide, is she a viable presidential candidate?

Are there a lot of disillusioned Hillary fans out there who wouldn't defect for a woman as VP candidate, but might for a Prez?


Come on, gh, the gal is 44 years old has no curiosity in anything except herself. Doesn't read anything. Never had a passport until last year. Is a creationist. Doesn't believe humans have anything to do with global warming. Lies about everything, even trivial things. You think she is going to change much in that time?

Women are going like the idea of her as president rather than VP? Those disillusioned Hillary fans will want Palin even less as a Presidential candidate.

Right now according the polls Palin is a bigger drag on McCain than even Bush is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/us/po ... ref=slogin

"The increase in the number of voters who said Ms. Palin was not prepared was driven almost entirely by Republicans and independents."

Having this wingnut a heartbeat away from the presidency is rightfully scary. So you're saying in 4 years people are going to forget and support Palin? Right.

Palin is the future of the GOP the same way Michael Foot was the future of Labour in Britain. A complete losing operation.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby Flumpy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 am

eldrick wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Berlusconi isn't a 'sophisticate' or have a 'huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc,'


you don't become italy's one time richest man by being a dumbf*ck

as for politics, he had to endure a system which threw up machiavelli !

the guy knows more about politics than 1/2 the world leaders combined !


Never accused him of being a 'dumb f*ck' as you so crudely put it (Sounds like something Berlosconi might say actually). Knowing a lot about politics is hardlt the same as being a 'sophisticate'.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby bad hammy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:24 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Palin . . .is she a viable presidential candidate?

I think the more we know about her, the less likely she will be a viable candidate.

Palin is the Joe the Plumber of politicians: plucked from obscurity by John McCain and shown to be terribly unprepared for life in the big lights. If she were smart she would leverage this election into a high-paying job hosting a poli talk show on Fox News.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am

Flumpy wrote:
eldrick wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Berlusconi isn't a 'sophisticate' or have a 'huge knowledge of history, economics, foreign affairs, etc,'


you don't become italy's one time richest man by being a dumbf*ck

as for politics, he had to endure a system which threw up machiavelli !

the guy knows more about politics than 1/2 the world leaders combined !


Never accused him of being a 'dumb f*ck' as you so crudely put it (Sounds like something Berlosconi might say actually). Knowing a lot about politics is hardlt the same as being a 'sophisticate'.


obviously you personally know him to tell us how "sophisticated" he is...

i'll go with the observation he took a law degree before even starting his legendary business career , had the political nuance to 3 times win the italian prime-ministership & off course tv interviews - jose napoles nickname comes to mind - mantequilla
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:11 am

eldrick wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Never accused him of being a 'dumb f*ck' as you so crudely put it (Sounds like something Berlosconi might say actually). Knowing a lot about politics is hardlt the same as being a 'sophisticate'.


obviously you personally know him to tell us how "sophisticated" he is...

i'll go with the observation he took a law degree before even starting his legendary business career , had the political nuance to 3 times win the italian prime-ministership & off course tv interviews - jose napoles nickname comes to mind - mantequilla

I should remind you that Bush has an MBA from Harvard and was elected Governor twice and (s)elected President twice.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby eldrick » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am

wiki quotes him as saying he was an "average" student at yale - getting into any ivy league college & excelling are 2 very different propositions ( i got into one equivalent in britain but was very poor student ) - besides his pa was also yale graduate & a member of house of representatives when W applied for colleges - i'd bet good money his father being an alumnus & congressman helped a lot with his application

as for his political career - i'd suggest most of all of it was due to name recognition of his father rather than any political acumen
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:08 pm

eldrick wrote:wiki quotes him as saying he was an "average" student at yale - getting into any ivy league college & excelling are 2 very different propositions ( i got into one equivalent in britain but was very poor student ) - besides his pa was also yale graduate & a member of house of representatives when W applied for colleges - i'd bet good money his father being an alumnus & congressman helped a lot with his application

as for his political career - i'd suggest most of all of it was due to name recognition of his father rather than any political acumen

If you're saying that he owes all of his major life accomplishments to his father and grandfather, I agree.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Former Secretary of State Larry Eagleburger and McCain supporterweighs in on Palin. With friends like these, who needs enemies. It funny how some the worst damage done to McCain and Obama, has been done by their own supporters.

McCain
Larry Eagleburger
Phil Gramm
Michele Bachmann
John Hagee

Obama
Joe Biden
John Murtha
jeremiah Wright
Michael Pfleger
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:21 pm

tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Postby cullman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Palin . . .is she a viable presidential candidate?

I think the more we know about her, the less likely she will be a viable candidate.

From musician Tom Russell's blog:

>> Alaska? Governor? Credibility? Cool place, but they'd elect Old Dan Tucker governor, because "he washed his face in a fryin' pan."<<

http://russelltom.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... oment.html

cman :lol:
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Postby gm » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:34 pm

It's amazing how well some of you personally know Palin. I am impressed. It's probably because Democrats are much, much more intelligent.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby rasb » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:46 pm

gm wrote:It's amazing how well some of you personally know Palin. I am impressed. It's probably because Democrats are much, much more intelligent.


Not a Democrat, not a Republican, not a USAnian, and I don't know Sarah personally, so I have no dawgs in this race. However, I have listened to many of her public offerings, and she strikes me as one who believes she is right, even when she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. Somewhat scary for a VP of the USA, imho.
rasb
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: South of the 49th

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm

gm wrote:It's amazing how well some of you personally know Palin. I am impressed. It's probably because Democrats are much, much more intelligent.

It's funny that you should mention that. In the last two elections, do you know how a person's education level corresponded to their voting preferences? I think you already know the answer, but I'll let you find out for yourself. :wink:
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby gm » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm

rasb wrote:
gm wrote:It's amazing how well some of you personally know Palin. I am impressed. It's probably because Democrats are much, much more intelligent.


Not a Democrat, not a Republican, not a USAnian, and I don't know Sarah personally, so I have no dawgs in this race. However, I have listened to many of her public offerings, and she strikes me as one who believes she is right, even when she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. Somewhat scary for a VP of the USA, imho.


Well, Biden's incipient senility does scare me, so I can see your point.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby mojo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:56 pm

Palin can read a telepromter, look good in suit and produce lots of kids.

Her strident know it all attitude fades pretty quickly when she actually has to think on her own.

She can't even name a newspaper-heck she doesn't have to have actually read it, no one would know otherwise. :roll: :roll:


Give her a talk show on FOX (I don't get that channel any more! :D )
mojo
 
Posts: 5519
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: at the finish line freezing my butt off

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 pm

gm wrote:Well, Biden's incipient senility does scare me, so I can see your point.

Now be honest. Would you really feel more comfortable with Palin as commander-in-chief than Biden?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests