Neighbors Don't Feel Like He Feels

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Neighbors Don't Feel Like He Feels

Postby guru » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Peter Frampton lives in a wealthy suburb here in town. His Obama yard signs keep disappearing lol.

http://tinyurl.com/5lqrug
guru

Postby gh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 am

I live on a cul de sac of about 20 houses: sign count is McCain/Palin 1, Obama/Boden 0; nothing 19.

But I do drive by a Nader/Gonzalez house on the way to work every day. I had forgotten he was trying again; no talk about a spoiler role this time is there?
gh

Postby Daisy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 am

In our neighborhood i have yet to see a McCain sign. In previous years there were Bush signs.
Daisy

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:08 am

Here in Connecticut were Obama will win in a landslide i am surprised to see alot of McCain signs.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby guru » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 am

The funniest part of the Frampton piece is while he was being interviewed the signs were stolen again.
guru

Postby SQUACKEE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am

guru wrote:The funniest part of the Frampton piece is while he was being interviewed the signs were stolen again.

He shouldnt have signed them! Have you heard his version of Black Hole Sun? On youtube- awesum!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby bad hammy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 am

There are no McCain signs in sight in my 'hood, plenty of Obama. Driving around I see maybe one McCain bumper sticker a day, whereas forests of trees died to keep the Obama supporters around here flush in stickers. No surprise here . . .
bad hammy

Postby racewalker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 am

Central Pennsylvania is strongly McCain country. We didn't put up an Obama sign for fear that someone would shoot at it, miss and hit the house. Of course, we are about to get the annual deer hunting onslaught, so the odd stray bullet is not unknown at this time of year.
racewalker

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

bad hammy wrote:There are no McCain signs in sight in my 'hood, plenty of Obama. Driving around I see maybe one McCain bumper sticker a day, whereas forests of trees died to keep the Obama supporters around here flush in stickers. No surprise here . . .

I have seen ONE Obama bumper sticker and zero yard signs here. I think both (either side) are tacky.
Marlow

Postby trig » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:29 am

No McCain signs here in god's country, plenty of Obama signs.
trig

Postby Mighty Favog » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:54 am

I live in a 99% white upper-middle-class suburb. Yards are split nearly 50/50 (but McCain yards average 2-3 each). This is solid Republican territory by economics, not social issues. That it's even close here spells deep, deep trouble for McCain.

My in-laws live in a rural area outside Toledo. Split 50/50 pretty much, but the votes don't contribute a whole lot to the totals

I teach in a mixed working class/middle class area where Hilary Clinton did very well. The closer you get to the neighborhood Catholic church /school, the greater the preponderance of McCain signs, but overall Obama is running slightly ahead. This is Reagan Democrat territory.

My parents live in a neighborhood where they're about the only white people and literally the only registered Republicans in the precinct (and Rockefeller Republicans at that). Yard signs are not typical for this neighborhood but this time it's blanket coverage and all one way.

I tried to go downtown to vote early during my planning period. Not only couldn't I get a parking spot, it was a struggle to get close enough to find that out. I gave up and figure I'll get there very early on Tuesday.
Mighty Favog

Postby lonewolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:32 pm

I can't recall an election when there were so few signs for either party, at least in my neck of the woods. Possibly because Obama supporters around here are as lonely as the Maytag repair man and McCain supporters don't bother.
lonewolf

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:07 pm

My daughter's 2nd birthday is Saturday and one of her buddies', from daycare, dad is a lobbyist...at his birthday a few weeks ago US Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R) was there. It'll be interesting when they pull up and see our Obama sign and all our hippie friends. I'm thinking of wearing my t-shirt that has Obama's head on Jesus' body and says "Prophet".
Cooter Brown

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Where I live, the few political signs in the neighborhood deal with local elections. One hot race, involving a seat in the state legislature, has generated not only signs but recorded telephone calls, mailers and flyers. There might be one or two McCain signs on the lawns, but judging from the lawns and the stuff posted on the roadsides, you'd almost never know there was a presidential election going on. The community normally votes for Democrats, and we're in a blue state--I don't expect that to change this year.
tandfman