Sarah Palin & The Pope

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Sarah Palin & The Pope

Postby gh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Sarah Palin & the Pope

Sarah Palin is invited to meet with the Pope while he is
vacationing north of Rome in Venice. The liberal press reluctantly watches the semi-private audience, hoping they will be able to allot minimal coverage, if any.

The Pope asks Governor Palin to join him on a Gondola ride through
the canals of Venice. They're admiring the sights and agreeing on moral issues when, all of a sudden, the Pope's hat (zucchetto) blows off his head and out into the water.

The gondolier starts to reach for the Pontiff's cap with his pole,
but this move threatens to overturn the floating craft. Sarah waves the tour guide off, saying, "Wait, wait. I'll take care of this. Don't worry."

She steps off the gondola onto the surface of the water and walks
out to the Pope's hat, bends over and picks it up. She walks back across the water to the gondola and steps aboard. She hands the hat to the Pope amid stunned silence.

The next morning the topic of conversation among Democrats in
Congress, CBS News, NBC News, ABC News, CNN, the New York Times, Hollywood celebrities, and in France and Germany is: "Palin Can't Swim."
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Fictitous, funny and accurate.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm

I don't get it. . . can she? :roll:
Marlow

Postby JRM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:48 pm

My guess is that "Sarah Palin" in the joke used to be "Barack Obama," since I've never heard anyone refer to her in the context of... uh... One who "cannot swim."

A more apt ending would have been if Palin shot the Pope's hat from a helicopter. :wink:
JRM

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:34 pm

JRM wrote:My guess is that "Sarah Palin" in the joke used to be "Barack Obama," since I've never heard anyone refer to her in the context of... uh... One who "cannot swim."

A more apt ending would have been if Palin shot the Pope's hat from a helicopter. :wink:

My reference to accurate was to the way the media would report it.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Puh-leeeez. You can't be serious.
tandfman

Postby guru » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 pm

tandfman wrote:Puh-leeeez. You can't be serious.

Let me ask you a question - how would the media handle this story if it was Obama instead of Palin? I've seen at least one TV newscaster chuckle at this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/sarahPal ... 9N20081027
guru

Postby gh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am

Palin humor from other side (click your mouse multiple times on various items in the room)

http://www.palinaspresident.us/
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:12 am

Palin's big mistake was to pick a fight with the media before anyone even knew anything about her. I remember watching her take potshots at the MSM in her convention speech and tkinking of the axion, "You never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrels". Back in 1984, Gary Hart found that out the hard way.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:35 am

humor from a black friend (who has nothing to do w/ track)

Black Humor

After watching the final debate the other night, it dawned on me that Obama could actually win this thing. If that happens, there will be a
lot of people (some of our co-workers included) who will be afraid that
an Obama presidency will usher in the end of days. They'll be watching
us on November 5th (the day after the election) for signs of the end
times.

To keep the peace and keep a lot of folks from getting nervous, I think
we should develop a list of acceptable celebrations and behaviors we
should probably avoid - at least for the first few days:

1. No crying, hugging or shouting "Thank you Lord" - at least not in public

2 No high-fives - at least not unless the area is clear and there are no witnesses

3 No laughing at the McCain/Palin supporters

4 No calling in sick on November 5th. They'll get nervous if
too many of us don't show up. (Try to be on time and not your normal late arrival)

5 We're allowed to give each other knowing winks or nods in passing. Just try to keep from grinning too hard.

6. No singing loudly, We've come this Far By Faith (it will be acceptable to hum softly)

7. No bringing of barbeque ribs or fried chicken for lunch in
the company lunchroom for at least a week (no chittlings at all) (this may
make us seem too ethnic)

8. No leaving kool-aid packages at the water fountain (this
might be a sign that poor folks might be getting a break through)

9. No Cupid Shuffle or Electric Slide during breaks (this could indicate a little too much excitement)

10. Please no Moving on Up music (we are going to try to remain humble)

11. No doing the George Jefferson dance (unless you're in your office with the door closed)

12. Please try not to yell----BOOOO YAH!

13. Just in case you're wondering, Doing the Running Man, cabbage
patch, or a backhand spring on the highway is 100% okay.

If I've missed anything feel free to add to the list. I just want to make sure we're all on the same page when Obama brings this thing home
on November 5th.

Now go get your early vote on and let's make this thing happen!!!
gh

Postby Mennisco » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

JRM wrote:My guess is that "Sarah Palin" in the joke used to be "Barack Obama," since I've never heard anyone refer to her in the context of... uh... One who "cannot swim."

She's certainly sinking, and she sure ain't Jesus, cuz Jesus with a rifle cutting down innocent animals [and not for food unobtainable any other way] is about as asinine, absurd, and completely bizarre as it gets.

She could have shot a member of some endangered species as it was about to grab the hat out of the water.......maybe a Republican polar bear escaped from the Venice zoo - yeah, that's it Sarah, ya lipstick dipstickette.
Mennisco

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:30 pm

gh wrote:humor from a black friend (who has nothing to do w/ track)

Black Humor

If I've missed anything feel free to add to the list. I just want to make sure we're all on the same page when Obama brings this thing home
on November 5th.

Now go get your early vote on and let's make this thing happen!!!

That's pretty funny. If you want to get a good idea of what Black folks are feeling like these days, listen to the Tom Joyner Morning Show. To say that they're enthusiatic, is putting it mildly. Lately, they've been spending half their time making sure their listeners know the do's and dont's of voting:
    Pleeeease vote early, otherwise
    Don't wear an Obama t-shirt to the polls
    Don't be fooled by all the false rumors put out by Republican mischief makers
    Be certain that you know your polling place before election day
    Blah blah blah ....

It's a nationally syndicated, and in every major metropolitan area in the country. The most satisfying thing for me is watching my parents take this all in. They're like two kids counting down the days to Christmas.
jazzcyclist