Thank you Garry!


Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Thank you Garry!

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:33 am

I just wanna thank Mr. Hill for this wonderful outlet and the fact that he puts up with a lot of free but sometimes inane speech. Have a great 4th Garry! :D
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Re: Thank you Garry!

Postby jamese1045 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:12 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:I just wanna thank Mr. Hill for this wonderful outlet and the fact that he puts up with a lot of free but sometimes inane speech. Have a great 4th Garry! :D

Stockholm syndrome. But what the hell, let's get up a game of soccer on the frozen tundra.
jamese1045
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:18 pm

Postby gm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Thank you for allowing people to remind me why I only talk track and field to the denizens of this here board.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:20 am

gm wrote:Thank you for allowing people to remind me why I only talk track and field to the denizens of this here board.


GM, now is your chance to go wild. :wink:
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby eldrick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 am

gm wrote:Thank you for allowing people to remind me why I only talk track and field to the denizens of this here board.


why ?

are we track fans lacking some part of our brain which prevents us from discussing anything other than athletics ?

woud you only wish to discuss politics with professional politicians ?!
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby gm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:07 pm

It took me longer than it should have (should have taken two seconds, tops) to determine that:

a) to you, my person sucks
b) to me, your person sucks
c) never the twain shall meet

I have never seen someone have a political change of mind based on internet banter. Mostly it's a whizzing match, which is a waste of time.

Talking about T&F, on the other hand... :)
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby eldrick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:19 pm

gm wrote:I have never seen someone have a political change of mind based on internet banter


& what is the size of the population sample you've personally analysed to base this on ?

5 ? 10 ? 1,000 ?
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:01 pm

I have to agree with gm, i dont know the exact no. but its 100% nobody ever changed their view based on a e-mail. If anyone has please let me hear about it.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:I have to agree with gm, i dont know the exact no. but its 100% nobody ever changed their view based on a e-mail. If anyone has please let me hear about it.


I think gm was referring to internet forum discussion not e-mail. But I do agree with the e-mail stat. The thing with forum discussion is that while you might not change your own mind you at least get a chance to see the other side of the coin. Far better than filtering all your information through one source.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:33 pm

gm wrote:It took me longer than it should have (should have taken two seconds, tops) to determine that:

a) to you, my person sucks
b) to me, your person sucks
c) never the twain shall meet

I have never seen someone have a political change of mind based on internet banter. Mostly it's a whizzing match, which is a waste of time.

Talking about T&F, on the other hand... :)


For better or worse, totally true. I have actually been in coversations in which one of the parties ended up (happily) changing their mind....but not many--and these conversations were never about any of our standard third-rail subjects: politics, religion, the stupidity of the 1600m, etc.
kuha
 
Posts: 9035
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Postby Daisy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 pm

kuha wrote:the stupidity of the 1600m, etc.


Why is it stupid? :twisted: :wink:
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

with regards to getting filtered info, what's more biased, MSNBC to the left or FoxNews to the right ?! Although I am a left of center guy, I think MSNBC is more biased ( and that takes a lot, as Fox is OUT there)... but I enjoy watching because I largely agree with them.

Do Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly live in the same country ?

But then O'Reilly's a commie compared to Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. And while I am at it, I thought it was hilarious watching Hannity do his interview with Sarah Palin. He must have had a you-know what ( no Viagra needed) the whole time.
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:42 pm

In politics, as in most other Significant Topics, the more cogent the argument counter to your own position, the more likely you are to get defensive and stick to your original position all the more and bring our the ad hom attacks. It really is an exercise in futility and hurt feelings. As I said elsewhere, I've already voted, and I am SO over this election. If my guy doesn't win, I'll sulk for about a day, then I'll get over it and move on!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21130
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Marlow wrote:In politics, as in most other Significant Topics, the more cogent the argument counter to your own position, the more likely you are to get defensive and stick to your original position all the more and bring our the ad hom attacks. It really is an exercise in futility and hurt feelings. As I said elsewhere, I've already voted, and I am SO over this election. If my guy doesn't win, I'll sulk for about a day, then I'll get over it and move on!


Very true. Whoever wins, I hope he's a great President. We need all the help we can get !
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Postby kuha » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Daisy wrote:
kuha wrote:the stupidity of the 1600m, etc.


Why is it stupid? :twisted: :wink:


Ya see! THAT's what I'm talking 'bout!!
kuha
 
Posts: 9035
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:53 pm

Daisy wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:I have to agree with gm, i dont know the exact no. but its 100% nobody ever changed their view based on a e-mail. If anyone has please let me hear about it.


I think gm was referring to internet forum discussion not e-mail. But I do agree with the e-mail stat. The thing with forum discussion is that while you might not change your own mind you at least get a chance to see the other side of the coin. Far better than filtering all your information through one source.


Yes your right, and i meant on a forum. I wont listen to any radio or tv show that doesnt at least try to have both sides on. I know the show is biased but i can tolerate it if they give sometime to the flipside.

The main thing about politics that i dont like is the name calling and the demonizing of your opponents. Im afraid we gonna see some of that here and track and field brothers and sisters will turn against each other.

Bush is not Hitler and Obama is not a commie. It is true that McCain is storing nuts in his cheeks for the winter but nobody believes me.. maybe Matt Marriot does.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby rasb » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:59 pm

One can only hope that the candidates and the campaigns "keep their form", and go all the way to the line, without an excess of elbowing and tripping over the last few metres.
There seems to be whole lot of "ugly" boiling away just below the surface.
rasb
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: South of the 49th

Postby gm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm

eldrick wrote:
gm wrote:I have never seen someone have a political change of mind based on internet banter


& what is the size of the population sample you've personally analysed to base this on ?

5 ? 10 ? 1,000 ?


Way north of 1,000... I have followed internet political chat since joining AOL in the very early 90s.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby eldrick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

you claim to know all of those 1,000+ people never changed their political minds because of internet chat ???
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:28 pm

eldrick wrote:you claim to know all of those 1,000+ people never changed their political minds because of internet chat ???


im guessing that gm doesnt know but every bit of info leads him to one conclusion.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
Marlow wrote:In politics, as in most other Significant Topics, the more cogent the argument counter to your own position, the more likely you are to get defensive and stick to your original position all the more and bring our the ad hom attacks. It really is an exercise in futility and hurt feelings. As I said elsewhere, I've already voted, and I am SO over this election. If my guy doesn't win, I'll sulk for about a day, then I'll get over it and move on!


Very true. Whoever wins, I hope he's a great President. We need all the help we can get !

I hope you guys get a Congress and Senate that is less invertebrate...before this century is out! :D

cman
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Postby gm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:41 pm

eldrick wrote:you claim to know all of those 1,000+ people never changed their political minds because of internet chat ???


Sweet onion chutney, dude.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Postby bad hammy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:46 pm

gm wrote:I have never seen someone have a political change of mind based on internet banter.

I regulalry hang out on a 2008 Election forum and I change my mind all the time, numerous times a day. Half the time I think the posters for the other side are idiots, the other half the time I know they are idiots.

:P
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby lonewolf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Admittedly, I have more failures than successes but I know of at least three people that I have personally influenced to change their political stance thru email. I know many more that are changing to my side for this election, some on their own volition, some by tender counseling..
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby cullman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:27 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:It is true that McCain is storing nuts in his cheeks for the winter but nobody believes me...

Ya know..I was going to say that could have a different, unintended meaning...but I won't. :twisted:

cman
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:50 am

Sometimes, I may see something on the internet that may change my way of looking at things, but very seldom does it change my mind. Usually, the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:18 am

jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21130
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.


A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 am

SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 am

lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 am

Just a sage observation, squak. :?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:46 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P


definitely a jest

i always look forward to the squaxter's opinion 8-)
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:01 pm

eldrick wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.


A good rule , Squak. The problem is, most people who have made up their minds on perceived truths, prejudices or ignoring obvious issues tend to ignore your facts and don't care about your opinion.


Surely you jest! :P


definitely a jest

i always look forward to the squaxter's opinion 8-)


Why thank you Eldy although im not sure i deserve this great distinction.

I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board.

You catch more track nutz with dextrose pills than atomic balm. If you understand what i just said your probably really old. :P
SQUACKEE
 
Posts: 12885
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby eldrick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board


very priescent of you

it does show "we" can discuss politics & religion in civilised manner
eldrick
 
Posts: 14147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: 19th hole st andrews

Postby lonewolf » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm

eldrick wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:I do have one more opinion and that is im very happy with the civilty of the political discourse so far on this message board


very priescent of you

it does show "we" can discuss politics & religion in civilised manner


Yeah, but, dang, its stressful suppressing the zingers. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Postby cullman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:
Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: the thing changes my mind is the revelation of some new facts.


Zackly! Arguments that reveal no new facts are doomed. Even if someone else's 'logic' SHOULD dissuade us from our views, we rarely open our minds enough to admit that. If, on the other hand, someone presents new facts to contradict our views, and we still ignore them, then and only then is there no hope for us.


A good rule i try to follow, first give the facts and then your opinion.

Facts...facts? We don't need no stinking facts!

cman
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 pm

cullman wrote:Facts...facts? We don't need no stinking facts!


Track & Field News
The T&FN Forums—No Stinkin' Facts, Just Fiction
Marlow
 
Posts: 21130
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby Helen S » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Although not political, I recently did a complete about face as a result of an internet discussion regarding cycling. I went in with a strong opinion, but was swayed by the opinions of the small segment of the cycling community who responded.
Helen S
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: in front of the computer

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:46 pm

I must admit this forum has been fun, and at first I thought all heck was gonna break loose, but if even Mr. Left, bad hammy, can get along with Mr. Right, lonewolf, then I deem it a success, not that it has a prayer of surviving Tuesday! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21130
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Postby bad hammy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Marlow wrote:. . .Mr. Left, bad hammy . . .

You know, if the Republicans would go back to just being fiscally conservative and dump all of the neo-con, religious-right, deficit spending crap I might even vote for one of them once in a while. As it stands, they run a pariah party . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10881
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests