One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/ ... 84926.html

How many other attempts will President David Palmer... er, Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.
EPelle

Re: One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:14 am

EPelle wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/supremacists-wanted-to-kill-102-black-people/2008/10/28/1224955984926.html

How many other attempts will President David Palmer... er, Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.

At least a couple more. We have thousands of KK members and if 1% actually want Obama dead and are willing to die to do it then..........
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby guru » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:33 am

I would stop WAAAY short of calling that an "attempt".
guru

Postby SQUACKEE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 am

guru wrote:I would stop WAAAY short of calling that an "attempt".

Good point, ahh... howx bout how many planned assinations will be stopped before they are carried out. I dont even wanna think about stopping a attempt!
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 am

guru wrote:I would stop WAAAY short of calling that an "attempt".

It would have been murder-1 if it had been carried out. The intent was there. The attempt hadn:t yet come to fruition. Good point.
EPelle

Re: One Assassination Attempt Prevented. How Many Others?

Postby JRM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:32 am

EPelle wrote:How many other attempts will President Barack Obama have on his life, if elected? This is the second I:ve read about thus far, and Election day was still eight days away.

Neo-Nazi Obama Plot One of "A Handful" of "Serious" Threats Against Obama

Secret Service Reports Record Number of Assassination Threats

ABC News -- The arrests Monday in an alleged neo-Nazi assassination plot against Sen. Barack Obama involve one of a handful of serious threats against the Democratic presidential candidate, federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

The officials say Obama has been the target of well over 500 threats, most of which are not taken seriously.

But in an estimated dozen or so cases, the threat was considered serious enough that law enforcement agents were assigned to track down suspects.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6123157&page=1
JRM

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:03 am

No doubt he is a target. I wouldn't want to be in his suit.
bad hammy

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 am

I believe that if the Secret Service was able to keep Bush alive for 8 years, despite repeated trips abroad, they should be able to keep Obama alive. My guess is that there are as many, if not more, people on this planet who want to see the former dead as the latter. Furthermore, I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.
jazzcyclist

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Don:t fear the state with 20 nukes, fear the lone ranger types. Likewise, don:t fear the guy with 20 kills, but the guy who wants to make a name for himself.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.

I'm not sure that experience is relevant. I think about all of the well-publicized attempts to assassinate presidents and I have the impression that these were mostly novices who were either fanatical in their beliefs, or deranged, or both.
tandfman

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:21 pm

tandfman wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote: I would suspect that the type of people who would like to assassinate Bush are a lot more experienced at carrying out such operations than those who would like to assassinate Obama.

I'm not sure that experience is relevant. I think about all of the well-publicized attempts to assassinate presidents and I have the impression that these were mostly novices who were either fanatical in their beliefs, or deranged, or both.

I don't think that JFK's assassin(s) was a novice. By the way, can't you be a fanatic and experienced at the art of assassination/terrorism?
jazzcyclist

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 pm

jazzcyclist wrote: By the way, can't you be a fanatic and experienced at the art of assassination/terrorism?

Yes, of course. But I worry more about the loon with no experience at all, just a fixation on doing this terrible thing for reasons that only he or she underrstands.
tandfman

Postby rasb » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm not sure who chooses and hires and trains those in charge of protecting a President or a Presidential candidate. But if guys like Dick Cheney and friends are anywhere around that process, I would be nervous.
Also some news headlines developing today will include:

* Sales of assault weapons spike before election (in case "that one" gets elected, apparently).
* Election of Obama would be an Apocalyptic event, according to some extreme Right religious folks.

Not exactly comforting stuff.
rasb

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:48 pm

rasb wrote:* Sales of assault weapons spike before election (in case "that one" gets elected, apparently).

A couple of weeks ago the wife and I took a gun usage/safety class. The instructor, who runs a scuba shop and does firearm training and other associated work as a sideline, says that thanks to the economy his scuba stuff is dead in the water (pun intended) but his firearms business is off the charts.
bad hammy

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 pm

That's scary.
tandfman

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:02 pm

tandfman wrote:That's scary.

He blamed it on the economy and Obama. Spoke about it and the apocalyptic near-term future all day long. I am sure he appreciated the Obama/Biden magnet on the back of my truck.
bad hammy

Postby tandfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 pm

bad hammy wrote:

He blamed it on the economy and Obama.

He may be right about the economy part of it, but thinking that an apocalypse is going to ensue from the election of Obama is, to me, not rational.
tandfman

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 pm

tandfman wrote:
bad hammy wrote:

He blamed it on the economy and Obama.

He may be right about the economy part of it, but thinking that an apocalypse is going to ensue from the election of Obama is, to me, not rational.

He was not what I consider to be rational, but he knew a lot about guns . . .
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:07 pm

The 20-year-old on the news foto is a posterboy for such lunacy.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 am

bad hammy wrote:He was not what I consider to be rational, but he knew a lot about guns . . .

Alas, he is not alone.
tandfman