El G's 5k "debut" and more ...

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

El G's 5k "debut" and more ...

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:33 pm

El G's first 5k in 11 years results in 12:50.24. He did lose to Cherono, but is that really that big a deal? (Cherono ran 12:48.81)

BTW, how old is Cherono, really? Yes, the Kenyans do have droves of runners. But this guy looks like another jr. who left his teenage years behind several years earlier than the Kenyan federation will admit. What is their rationale? Good opener.

Bungei ran fast again, 1:43.24 to Borzakovskiy's 1:44.36, but does anyone get the feeling he may be peaking waaaay early, and will be out of gas when the WC's roll around? Just a thought.

In the 1500, the Chrichir's finished in 3:31.17 (Cornelius) and 3:31.70 (William), with Heshko dropping his best AGAIN to 3:32.01. Heshko apparently closed fast, but from too far back.

Re: El G's 5k

Postby dl » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:44 pm

Bungei could very well be at his fittest too early, but you gotta remember, he's gotta make the Kenyan team before he can run in Paris.

And that's no easy task. Definitely one of the toughest national threesomes to crack. But looks like he shouldn't have too much trouble if all goes well.
dl

Re: El G's 5k

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:49 pm

The Kenyans don't have "selections" where their top man will probably be assured a spot? Well, with the depth they enjoy right now ... Good point then on Bungei's situation.

I'm a selfish fan, dammit! I'm worried he's peaking too soon because I forever live the fantasy of seeing all the top runners (for the season, anyway) at their peak and in the final for the WC's or Oly's.