Collegiate records fall again...more to come?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Collegiate records fall again...more to come?

Postby Trackshark » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:26 pm

Sheena Johnson of UCLA broke the collegiate record in the 400 meter hurdles with her time 54.24 and BYU's Kassi Andersen set a new collegiate record as well with her time of 9:44.95 in the steeplechase.

The LSU ladies picked up a big 10 points as the quartet of Stephanie Durst, Monique Hall, Lolo Jones and Muna Lee broke their own low-altitude collegiate record with their time of 42.55.

These are, of course, "in-season" records which fall before the end of the NCAA Championships.
Trackshark

Re: Collegiate records fall again...more to come?

Postby trackstar » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:33 pm

Ouch ... Texas finishing 3rd in the 4x1 and McIntosh getting beat in the hurdles really hurts them. Unless LSU has a major bungle, I think they may have just pulled out of reach. I'm figuring the final score will be LSU 63, Texas 52.
trackstar

Postby Trackshark » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:50 pm

The women's 400 meter semi-finals saw defending champion Allison Beckford of Rice put down the fastest qualifying time of 51.13. Freshman Sanya Richards of Texas had the second fastest of 51.41.

As the women's team title progresses between Texas and LSU, the Longhorns could only manage to get Richards to the final as the Tigers placed Nadia Davy and Hazel-Ann Regis to the scoring round.

So if all the tables are set, LSU has the title right in front of them.
Trackshark

Postby Trackshark » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:12 pm

...and the trend continues

Indiana's Irina Kharun set a new collegiate standard in the javelin with her throw of 202-10.
Trackshark

Postby trackstar » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:50 pm

>The women's 400 meter semi-finals saw defending
>champion Allison Beckford of Rice put down the
>fastest qualifying time of 51.13. Freshman Sanya
>So if all the tables are set,
>LSU has the title right in front of them.

I don't know about that -- Muna got beat in the 100, and LaToya Payne fouled out in the LJ. LSU definitely controls its own future, but I'm thinking now it's LSU 60, Texas 52. LSU better not have any screw-ups.
trackstar