NCAA Qualifying rounds

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

NCAA Qualifying rounds

Postby dl » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:02 pm

Just my opinion, but I'd say they've been very entertaining so far. Lots of close calls in the 200's and 400's this morning. If I had one complaint it would be that they're not using lanes 1 or 2 and only running 5 or 6 athletes in each heat. As one wag joked, everybody's scared of the crocodile in lanes 1 and 2.

5000's weren't bad last night either. A bit cold for specatating, but not too bad for the athletes, apart from some wind. Interesting to see who wants to make a statement by winning a heat. Boaz looked very good. So did Cragg, who moved at 4K and then shut it down on the last lap.

The women's 5000 should be an amazing race between Fleshman and Flanaga. No apparent weakness in either. I suspect Fleshman will move with 4 or 5 laps to go.
dl

Re: NCAA Qualifying rounds

Postby dl » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:07 pm

Replying to my own message! Forgot about the steeple heats. Lincoln surged hard with 3 laps to go or so, and then shut it down on the last lap. Perhaps expended too much energy, but maybe it's easier to run hard for a lap, get a clear view of the barriers and ensure qualifying instead of sprinting on the last lap.
dl