Doping is pushing sprints to the brink of irrelevance: WADA

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Doping is pushing sprints to the brink of irrelevance: WADA

Postby elcaballo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:47 am

Another one in the eye from WADA ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... mpics/2008
elcaballo

Postby imaginative » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:49 am

Fahey admitted that his own view had grown more jaundiced since the
Johnson affair...

Are there other sprinters than Johnson around that look jaundiced?
imaginative

Location: In an experiment to find out how the human mind works

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 am

His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!
gh

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:22 am

Canadian columnist says Fahey doesn't have Dick Pound's fire:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... a837cf2f35

Great line:
<<.... Instead, we got his successor John Fahey, believed to be the only unquotable Aussie male on the planet....>>
gh

Postby elcaballo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 am

gh wrote:His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!

That's the irony of the situation really. The damage the drugs scandals cause are completely dependent on how healthy the sport is in the first place.

If it was just one guy dominating, public interest in the 100 would have been far more damaged by all the drug revelations. With the 3 fastest guys in history duking it out, people can't help but care about the result.
elcaballo

Postby Novitiate » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:21 am

gh wrote:His premise sounds like it makes sense, but w/ the Gay-Powell-Bolt drama, I'm not sure the are many times when the interest has been higher!

On another thread, gh rote:

gh wrote:Drugs have very little to do with it. Track's irreversible fall from public grace began in 1958 when football and baseball changed the sporting landscape. Given the option to watch a team game, Joe Sixpak will take that over a track meet any day. Once that became an option 24 hours a day, track became minimalized. That's the reality.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=32241

In fairness to gh, which phonetically can rhyme with "ff", the discussion may have been perceived as having veered toward a more myopic, USA-centric view of things, on that other thread.

If there is such a thing as karma, Carl Lewis may come back as Ben Johnson's student in a "future" life....
Novitiate

Postby elcaballo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 am

In general he's right, and it's not just US either. Substitute other sports and you could say the same for just about every other nation on earth.

But there's a major difference between generally public interest in track for 206 weeks out of every 208 and what we're talking about here, the Olympic 100m ...
elcaballo

Postby Novitiate » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 am

http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ce_figures

Here's a gem:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_popular_i ... adyAsked=1

I won't bother asking anyone how to find out how popular track and field is, since my efforts at digging up "interesting things" seem to be worse than unappreciated around here. Figures - you have someone who tries hard to make things a bit less drab and routine for people, then the mods send some little shithead to tell him to shut the fuck up.

Pardon my French, Monsieurs Hall eh Hill.
Novitiate

Postby elcaballo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:06 am

Novitiate wrote:http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... ce_figures

Here's a gem:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_popular_i ... adyAsked=1

I won't bother asking anyone how to find out how popular track and field is, since my efforts at digging up "interesting things" seem to be worse than unappreciated around here. Figures - you have someone who tries hard to make things a bit less drab and routine for people, then the mods send some little shithead to tell him to shut the fuck up.

Pardon my French, Monsieurs Hall eh Hill.

?????
elcaballo

Postby Novitiate » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 am

Let them speak for themselves. I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy that goes on around this very little place. I smelled a rat, named cacique....

I won't wait to apologize for my language today. Ping me when you get in Ben - wait, that'd be too late!

:lol:
Novitiate

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 am

"He says the importance of catching drug cheats has never been greater.

"We must. If we do not, part of the world as we've known it for all of our lives is going to leave us," he said.

"The public will desert any sport in time if they're not satisfied it has integrity in the way it which it operates."

I read this and got a good laugh. I think The Times' Simon Barnes is the one with the correct view on this. (See home page)
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 am

Novitiate wrote:Let them speak for themselves. I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy that goes on around this very little place. I smelled a rat, named cacique....

I won't wait to apologize for my language today. Ping me when you get in Ben - wait, that'd be too late!

Somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed today?
gh

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 am

Among track fans you may be correct but maybe he is referring, to the Joe Blo sports fan, and, as was shown on T&FN website today, the popularity of T&F is now below swimming. Sprinting has been one of the bigger marketing items in T&F and damage to that damages the whole sport more than say walkers.
odelltrclan

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am

Conor Dary wrote:"
I read this and got a good laugh. I think The Times' Simon Barnes is the one with the correct view on this. (See home page)

Correct view? That is a sad statement. I think that view reflects the degredation of society. Cheating is no longer viewed by many as amoral but rather just part of life we should live with and embrace.

The Olympics and sport in general was intended to be based on fair play.
Drug testing is not ruining the sport, the cheaters are and those that come to tolerate them. If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport.
odelltrclan

Postby Daisy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

odelltrclan wrote:I think that view reflects the degredation of society. Cheating is no longer viewed by many as amoral but rather just part of life we should live with and embrace.

Unfortunately this is exactly right.

A Duke University study shows that 75 percent of students admit to cheating. 90 percent of student admit to copying someone’s paper.

Denise Pope, adjunct professor in the School of Education at Stanford University says, "Nationally, 75 percent of all high school students cheat. But the ones who cheat more are the ones who have the most to lose, which is the honors and AP (advanced placement) students. Eighty percent of honors and AP students cheat on a regular basis." [Regan McMahan, San Francisco Gate.com, sfgate.com, September 9, 2007] Therefore, the better the student--the more likely they are cheating.
Source

My experiences corrolate well with the above. More often the students caught cheating would have been A students.
Daisy

Postby Novitiate » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 pm

gh wrote:
Somebody get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Sigh.......I almost feel sorry for you guys, sometimes..

Novitiate

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:52 pm

"If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport."

Exactly. Now you get it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Mennisco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Conor Dary wrote:"If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport."

Exactly. Now you get it.

http://tinyurl.com/57jyqc

Sorry to bother you, but could please provide us with something verifiable? Or at least tell us you heard it in an interview?
Mennisco

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:"

Correct view? That is a sad statement. I think that view reflects the degredation of society. Cheating is no longer viewed by many as amoral but rather just part of life we should live with and embrace.

The Olympics and sport in general was intended to be based on fair play.
Drug testing is not ruining the sport, the cheaters are and those that come to tolerate them. If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport.

see above
Conor Dary

Postby Mennisco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:36 pm

"See above"

Thanks! I rely so heavily on those quote buttons...

Mennisco

Postby Mennisco » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Conor Dary wrote:"If it turns out that people will not participate without cheating, then the sport has no business being a sport."

Exactly. Now you get it.

Baby/bathwater, etc.
Mennisco

Postby catson52 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Exactly. Now you get it.

Over the last couple of days, I have discussed the Beijing Olympics with friends/relatives in Europe/Asia/Australia. There is a general lack of interest and everyone mentioned drugs and other modes of cheating. A good start may be to be reset the WRs to the year 2000 or so (suggested by gh and others I believe), and carry out rigorous and random drug testing. Women's TF in most standard (old) events are interesting, but only to the cognoscenti. When you have the current top performers in many events performing at early 1970s levels, something is totally amiss. What happened to improved nutrition, training techniques, equipment, tracks?
catson52

Postby eldrick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:59 pm

catson52 wrote:When you have the current top performers in many events performing at early 1970s levels, something is totally amiss. What happened to improved nutrition, training techniques, equipment, tracks?

ignoring throws where drugs explained most, distance events have moved on - pamela at 1'54 is at least capable of high-1'53 before career end & defar/diby are capable of 3'54 now ! & kazankina's ole 8'22 standard got well 'n' truely buried when defar ran 8'58 ( convert that with standard 1.08 )

main problem is sprints

trouble is we do have small, puny rubbish running it - usual 5'7 - 5'9 size gals from 2 decades ago & that's why we are still only getting 10.8/21.9 ( 21.8 with big wind on fastest legal track built )

looking at men's side, we got many 9.7s ( & some 19.6s ) when 6'3 (+) guys like safa/bolt/wally/x-man started arriving

the big tall dudes started turning up & started destroying 9.8/19.7

where are the 5'11/6'0 dudettes to do the same for 10.7/21.6 ?

answer :

not drawing on same quality of talent pool as dudes

dudettes m i a , probably hairdressing or business managent or p a
eldrick