New USATF CEO Blogs

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

New USATF CEO Blogs

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:47 am

http://www.usatf.org/about/leadership/ShinSplintsBlog/

Last week I also made my first trip to the USATF National Office in Indianapolis, where I had a chance to get to know the staff I will be working with, and they got to know a bit about me. I didn't get hit by any spitballs, which is a good sign, as I laid out my management style and goals for the office.

I know a lot of people aren't going to like his 'style' (non-suitish), but I do!
Marlow

Re: New USATF CEO Blogs

Postby TrakFan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Marlow wrote:http://www.usatf.org/about/leadership/ShinSplintsBlog/

Last week I also made my first trip to the USATF National Office in Indianapolis, where I had a chance to get to know the staff I will be working with, and they got to know a bit about me. I didn't get hit by any spitballs, which is a good sign, as I laid out my management style and goals for the office.

I know a lot of people aren't going to like his 'style' (non-suitish), but I do!

Too much of that initial blog is about Jones...
TrakFan

Postby gh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:10 pm

get ready for him to ride that pony right into the ground.
gh

Re: New USATF CEO Blogs

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:10 am

TrakFan wrote:Too much of that initial blog is about Jones...

It's like cockroach infestation You can ignore them and hope the problem goes away, or you can shine a bright light on it and smack the little critters every time they show their nasty little heads. The short-term result is messy squashed bugs, but the long-term result is that you have fewer pests.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 am

Unfortunately, although Logan's background is marketing, and presumably that will be a primary focus in his new job, he must know that one of USATF's biggest marketing challenges is overcoming some of the image problems that have been created by high-profile doping cases. He can't just ignore the issue.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 am

If he doesn't make a big deal about it, people will accuse him of ignoring the problem. You know they will. This way, nobody can say he isn't interested in cleaning up our act. We are way past 'image' problems now. We need a new sheriff in town, packing lots of heat. If only for the show.
Marlow

Postby guru » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 am

tandfman wrote:Unfortunately, although Logan's background is marketing, and presumably that will be a primary focus in his new job, he must know that one of USATF's biggest marketing challenges is overcoming some of the image problems that have been created by high-profile doping cases. He can't just ignore the issue.

Great. Then work on the fish in the ocean and not the ones in the barrel.
guru

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 am

The fish in the ocean are more likely to bite if they think it's clean in the barrel.

(Block that metaphor!!!!) :)
tandfman

Postby gh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 am

Two weeks into his term and he already runs the risk of becoming branded as a one-trick pony.
gh

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 am

That wouldn't be fair. The Jones stuff was less than half of what he wrote about. I'm sure he'll show us other tricks soon enough.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:53 am

gh wrote:Two weeks into his term and he already runs the risk of becoming branded as a one-trick pony.

Yeah, but that would be ahelluva trick if he can get rid of PEDs! :shock:

He can't of course, but he can make a big impact if he wants. And I get the impression he wants.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:57 am

It appears that he believes he needs to be doing what he's doing right now, and there's no reason to think that he won't continue to be outspoken on this subject. Whether anything he says or does makes a big impact remains to be seen. Wouldn't it be nice if he did make a big impact!
tandfman

Postby guru » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:01 am

tandfman wrote:It appears that he believes he needs to be doing what he's doing right now, and there's no reason to think that he won't continue to be outspoken on this subject. Whether anything he says or does makes a big impact remains to be seen. Wouldn't it be nice if he did make a big impact!

Wake me when he moves up from hunting roadkill.
guru

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am

Fortunately, roadkill is all there is for him to deal with right now. I hope it stays that way.
tandfman

Postby EPelle » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 am

I imagine he:ll have a blog about how wonderful the Olympics were the day Jones is released (5/9). It won:t be much outside of closing ceremonies (12 days), but he:ll want folks to recognise all that the Olympics were for the athletes, and not all that a mental institution was for one individual. Whatever news surfaces the day she is released to probation, I:m positive USATF will spin things another direction away from her.
EPelle

Postby gh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 am

tandfman wrote:Fortunately, roadkill is all there is for him to deal with right now. I hope it stays that way.

Of course you're right.

I had forgotten that the marketing skill that he used to build MLS and Arena Football into raging successes was based on his first official act in each league being to send out a release to all the newspapers in the country laying bare the criminal records of its players.
gh

Postby guru » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:07 am

Nice to see gh is not cowed by Logan's reputation for rabbit ears, and retribution, when it comes to the media.

I might just have to resubscribe.
guru

Postby TrakFan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:07 am

tandfman wrote:That wouldn't be fair. The Jones stuff was less than half of what he wrote about. I'm sure he'll show us other tricks soon enough.

It was less than half, but the ONLY athlete's name he brings up at all is Jones? I'm not an "armchair" blogger, but it would have been great to throw out a few names of those making their first trip to the BIG show, as well as those former champs who tried (Johnson, Dragila, etc), but will probably never make another OLY team.
TrakFan

Postby bad hammy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:11 am

TrakFan wrote:
tandfman wrote:That wouldn't be fair. The Jones stuff was less than half of what he wrote about. I'm sure he'll show us other tricks soon enough.

It was less than half, but the ONLY athlete's name he brings up at all is Jones? I'm not an "armchair" blogger, but it would have been great to throw out a few names of those making their first trip to the BIG show, as well as those former champs who tried (Johnson, Dragila, etc), but will probably never make another OLY team.

It was his first blog entry - why would he want to promote current athletes with his initial post when he had the perfect opportunity to bash disgraced ones?? :roll:
bad hammy

Postby EPelle » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:12 am

Just flexing muscles in front of a broken mirror when the weight session has already expired and the lights have been turned out by the janitor.
EPelle

Postby TrackCEO » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Doug's breezy style of writing shouldn't obscure a serious problem with the blog: No feedback function. If he REALLY wanted to break with the past, he'd open up the blog to comments (as most blogs do).

However, we now know his email address: Doug.Logan@usatf.org

K E N
TrackCEO

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm

TrackCEO wrote:Doug's breezy style of writing shouldn't obscure a serious problem with the blog:

Oh, you're just mad cuz he co-opted your screen name! :twisted:
Marlow

Postby gh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 am

Today we get a press release noting that the CEO wants USATF to look into the status of the AR in the m4x4. Should USATF look at it? Absolutely. Should it lose record status? Probably.

Does any good come out of making this a public spectacle, rather than just handling it in-house 4 months from now, which is the first point when any action can actually be taken? I'll let you vote on that.
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 am

gh wrote:Does any good come out of making this a public spectacle, rather than just handling it in-house 4 months from now, which is the first point when any action can actually be taken? I'll let you vote on that.

I gotta vote no. There's a time and a place for everything, and now is not the time.
Marlow

Postby Smoke » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Are we still endorsing the new sheriff tactics? His bark is definitely loud. It seems as though his timing and savvy are sorely lacking and that is going to cost him his job.
A CEO in track or anyone in power in this sport has to know you will struggling being a bull, because this is definitely a china shop.
I agree with his pov, his timing stinks and he has based his first days in office on the negative. So he is offering more of the same and even in a better package.
Smoke

Postby DTG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm

I think he's doing the right thing. As far as the timing is concerned, his only crime is that he assumed the CEO position just before the start of the Olympics. But he's trying to send a message, and that message is that USATF is changing its course from the former leadership's resistance to cooperate with USADA and WADA to one that takes an active role in cooperation and collaboration.
Many people - including some on this message board - felt like the former leadership was ineffective at best and counterproductive at worst. The former leadership's background in law probably worked against T&F in its efforts to curb PEDs because of the perceived concern for "personal rights" of the accused. Good for individuals perhaps, but bad for the sport and athletics in general.
Mr. Logan is new to his position and I suspect his fervor will mellow over time. But I feel he MUST dissociate himself from the course USATF was taking formerly.
DTG

Postby tandfman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:30 pm

DTG wrote:Many people - including some on this message board - felt like the former leadership was ineffective at best and counterproductive at worst. The former leadership's background in law probably worked against T&F in its efforts to curb PEDs because of the perceived concern for "personal rights" of the accused. Good for individuals perhaps, but bad for the sport and athletics in general.
Mr. Logan is new to his position and I suspect his fervor will mellow over time. But I feel he MUST dissociate himself from the course USATF was taking formerly.

I never got any sense that his predecessor was soft ono doping issues, nor do I think what the new CEO has done is at all inconsistent with the course USATF had been taking.

Of course, USATF has not completely eradicated doping, but I think their public statements in recent years have been unambiguous in stating that we must rid the sport of doping cheats.
tandfman

Postby DTG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm

[

Of course, USATF has not completely eradicated doping, but I think their public statements in recent years have been unambiguous in stating that we must rid the sport of doping cheats.[/quote]

I guess that's part of the problem I was referring to - there was a discrepancy between what was SAID (in public) and what was DONE.
DTG

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:29 am

But USATF is certainly not alone. Nobody--WADA, the IOC, the IAAF, the Cycling guys--nobody has been able to completely eradicate doping. But USATF has been among the leaders in speaking out on the issue and urging stronger penalties for violators. I don't know what more a national governinig body can do, given limited resources and given the magnitude of the problem.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:04 am

Column in the Indy paper thinks his latest missive was a mistake too.

http://blogs.indystar.com/woods/2008/07 ... d_whe.html
gh

Postby EPelle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:05 am

A blogger about a blogger. Interesting.
EPelle

Postby Marlow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:06 am

EPelle wrote:A blogger about a blogger. Interesting.

EPelle - you have a blog - you should blog about the blogger blogging about the blogger. We could do the Infinite Mirror thing again!
Marlow

Postby EPelle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:09 am

How far did that one go? Who broke the mirror? It is somewhere in "Things" section.

Blog has been replaced with youtube stuff for the time being.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:13 am

gh wrote:Column in the Indy paper thinks his latest missive was a mistake too.

As far as I can tell, that appeared only as a blog, not as a column in the paper.
tandfman

Postby Daisy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:16 am

tandfman wrote:
gh wrote:Column in the Indy paper thinks his latest missive was a mistake too.

As far as I can tell, that appeared only as a blog, not as a column in the paper.

Possibly but it is an official blog of the newspaper. Not just a random blog.
Daisy

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 am

"in the paper" no longer necessarily means ink & paper.
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 am

To me it does. Call me old-fashioned (or worse).
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:06 pm

gh wrote:"in the paper" no longer necessarily means ink & paper.

zackly - our local rag actually has a very good web-site, so I often go there to 'read the paper' - stuff that's not even in 'the paper'. :D
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I read my local newspapers as much on line as in print. But I never look at the blogs. There's an infinite amount to read out there, and a limited amount of time. I let the editors do the first cut for me. If it ain't good enough to make the paper, I'm not going to waste my time on it.
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Big mistake. Among other things, remember the dictum "electrons are free," which means that people have the freedom to ramble on a little on-line, not constrained by paper cost or fitting copy into an x by x box.

And they don't have to meet (not so much at least) the preceonceived prejudices of the editorial board and can write what they find interesting.

The movie and food columns in my local rag are fabulously well served by having their main people blogging in addition to the limited ink they get. And their best sports columnist (irreverence unlimited) appears only in the online version.

So, you wanna be called worse? LUDDITE! LUDDITE! :-)
gh

Next