Sacramento Weather Report

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Sacramento Weather Report

Postby gh » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:54 pm

NorCal weather has been unseasonably cool and cloudy all year. San Francisco weatherman on the radio today say that should continue for another week. He specifically cited a marine layer which is atypically flowing all the way into the Sacramento area. So, instead of any chances of approaching triple-digit stuff, may have trouble even getting into the 80s. The sprinters may hate us, but we spectators--especially those who were microwaved to a fine crisp at the Trials --will be most appreciative!
gh

Re: Sacramento Weather Report

Postby Cannon » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:07 pm

Yes, GH, great for the fans and distance runners, a bit cool for the sprinters.
Cannon

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:38 pm

being in the 60s and 70s is hardly cold especially for the runners in the midwest and east coast where it was cold until recently. in reality 90s and 100s is bad for everybody...

Postby gm » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:50 pm

oh, I would say the majority of sprinters would much rather have 90s than 60s!
gm

Postby Guess What » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:48 pm

>oh, I would say the majority of sprinters would
much rather have 90s than 60s!<

Guess what. I don't give a damn what the sprinters "would rather." They're going to go out and run no matter what the weather is like. And guess what else. We've got carloads of sprinters in this country who'd love to run in a National Championships.

Fans, on the other hand, are in short supply in this country. If it's in the '90's, some folks may find better things to do than sit in an uncomfortable stadium getting toasted. I know we wouldn't have a sport without athletes, but we'd have a much better sport (and the athletes would fare better) if we had more fans. If I have a choice between caring about or catering to the athletes or the fans, I'll take the fans every day. Of course, not being God, I'm not in a position to cater to the fans by doing something about the weather. But I'll be there all four days and if it doesn't get above 85 (and the latest forecasts say it won't), I'll be very happy. Screw the sprinters.
Guess What

Postby gm » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:57 am

Guess
>what. I don't give a damn what the sprinters
>"would rather." Screw the sprinters.

Funny, I have heard similar sentiments from them about you guys who worry more about your own comfort than optimum performance. I bet the Packers are happy their fans come out no matter the weather.

I hope it's 95 in Palo Alto. All day, every day. Ahhh, the beauty of heat.
gm

Postby Guess What » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:32 pm

>I bet the Packers are happy their fans come out no matter the weather.<

I'm sure they are. But Guess What. T&F fans don't come out very much in any kind of weather. We need every help we can get in the attendance department. In the long run, the sport is better served by having people not deterred from attending meets by the weather. When we get to the point where we fill the stadium no matter what the weather (the way the Packers do), then I'll worry more about the comfort of the athletes than that of the spectators.

>>I hope it's 95 in Palo Alto. All day, every day. Ahhh, the beauty of heat.<

I'd tell you to go to hell, but you'd probably enjoy it. :-)
Guess What

Postby trackstar » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:15 pm

>I hope
>it's 95 in Palo Alto. All day, every day. Ahhh,
>the beauty of heat.

Wait 'til Austin next year. You'll get your wish. In fact, you'll probably be wishing the temp would come DOWN to 95. I'm not kidding.
trackstar

Postby gh » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:03 am

Well, last night I would have been perfectly willing to swap out some 95 for what we had.

It was only 62 degrees by my car's thermometer as the evening action was winding down, but despite low wind readings on the arena floor, it was gusting up to 15-20 knots elsewhere. Chill fact pretty nasty.
gh