Conservatives

Normally open July 4th only---the one day a year when partisan politics, religion, etc. are acceptable topics on this Board (within reason). The forum is now closed.

Conservatives

Postby stallion » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:44 am

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
If you're offended by this, perhaps it is because you're concerned you may fall into the post-comma portion of this rather insightful sentence, or perhaps inciteful sentence, as it is sure to incite some of those concerned about the category they fall into, although many dullards are ostensibly completely oblivious to this, and perhaps this immunizes them from the possibly painful repercussions of cognizance.
stallion

Postby Friar » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:58 pm

So what then, is a neocon?
"Con is short for “conservative” and neo is short for “Jewish” . David Brooks NY Times.
Friar

Re: Conservatives

Postby paulthefan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:09 pm

stallion wrote:"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill.

I only wish it were true. Alas even in rightofcenter usa, Al Gore won the popular vote.

we should be careful that the meaning of the word "conservative" may have changed greatly from Mills mid 19th century england to our era almost 200 years later.

Mills on WAR
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

Mills on big government:
The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant.

John Stuart Mill
paulthefan

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:12 am

John Q has no idea what a conservative is any more. Special interest groups can call themselves anything they want. When I was studying political science [yawn] , conservatives believed in healthy, incremental change - not an uprooting of nearly everything around them to create some Michael Jackson La La Land, for which they pine, and which never existed anyway. Yearning for Zion is about as conservative as these so-called evangelical Christians who want to arrange everything around them to suit themselves, and screw everyone else.
Mennisco

Postby dakota » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:27 am

The original neo-conservatives were lapsed liberals.
dakota

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Im still putting my faith in the founding fathers, you know those radicals from the 70's...the 1770's! :P Does that mean im conservative or a radical, im too stupid to figure it out. 8-)
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby pickle47 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:16 pm

stallion wrote:"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill

Is it ever wise to paint a whole group of people with the same brush?
pickle47

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:44 pm

pickle47 wrote:
stallion wrote:"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill

No. There are radical and racist people who call themselves conservative and there are people like me who are JFK liberals, who now would be called conservative.

Conservatives want to retain the values and morals of the past. Some of these values and morals are stoopid and dont work anymore and some are pure genius and timeless.

I have noticed a tendency, as even Bono pointed out, that the left tends toward name calling. Its a easy way of dismissing someone of another point of few. I hate it. Bush is not wrong they say, he is an evil idiot. Ok this isnt a good example! :lol:
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:15 pm

pickle47 wrote:

It's outright hilarious when done by those who don't know any better:

Flumpy wrote:
Mennisco wrote: Perhaps the worst offender is that little piece of filth known as Ann Coulter, a media slut worse than Madonna.

She's hideous. Luckily we just don't get such specimens on TV over here (Although Melanie Phillips is vile in her own way).

As Chris Rock once succinctly put it to her "You're one mean bitch"!!!

Mennisco Wrote:

"{Coulter's} also thick as two short planks and could hardly hit sand if she fell off a camel during a hump. Has the audacity to say she has brains, then calls evolution "bogus science". I'm not sure what the speed of light is in her universe, but it must come to a grinding halt in that black hole between her ears"

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 5&start=50
Mennisco

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm

SQUACKEE wrote: Conservatives want to retain the values and morals of the past.

Reminds me of the quote, "conservatives want to return America to a past that never existed and liberals yearn for a utopia that can't exist." Don't know who said it.
Cooter Brown

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:08 pm

I know that Ron Paul and Rudy Giuliani can't both be conservatives when they seem to have nothing in common. By the way, I can see myself voting for Ron Paul-type conservatives.
jazzcyclist

Postby Mennisco » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote: Conservatives want to retain the values and morals of the past.

Reminds me of the quote, "conservatives want to return America to a past that never existed and liberals yearn for a utopia that can't exist." Don't know who said it.

Great article, and it is time the schools in the USA started educating students so they can make intelligent choices, and weed out the lies of those hiding under the umbrella of a term they've hijacked -

"John McCain hasn’t betrayed conservatism; his party has."

"The Burkean outlook takes individual rights seriously, and understands that civic order serves no purpose if its result is oppression or misery. It also understands that social stability, far from being endangered by institutional change, positively depends upon it. Burkeans no more believe in a golden past than they do in a perfect future. For them, the question is not whether society should change, but how."

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200805/m ... nservatism
Mennisco