Will the USA lose the 200 4x400 Gold?


This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Will the USA lose the 200 4x400 Gold?

Postby Snation » Fri May 23, 2008 2:08 pm

Will the tainted 4x400 relay team lose their gold?

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation ... sa-lo.html
Snation
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:03 am
Location: sunny iowa

Postby Mellow Johnny » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Don't know if they will but they should- they won the medal with an admitted cheater.
Mellow Johnny
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 am

Postby Kevin Richardson » Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I agree, but it is distasteful that presumably innocent athletes should have to suffer the indignity of returning a medal that they worked so hard for. When the records of former Soviet Bloc nations were uncovered, providing solid evidence of the guilt of numerous runners in doping (although some against their knowledge), I believe that the IOC stated they would not strip them of their medals as they tested clean, and there was no way of knowing that others in the race were not equally guilty. Well, with cases now moving forward with no positive drug test in evidence, are we now not contradicting that earlier logic?

I find no problem with looking back and correcting wrongs of the past. I imagine Frank Shorter would agree.

And poor Frank never got the thrill of crossing the finish line first in either 1972 or 1976.
Kevin Richardson
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, Alabama

Postby cacique » Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Mellow Johnny wrote:Don't know if they will but they should- they won the medal with an admitted cheater.


one? the team had besides pettigrew, young and the harrisons.

i hope they do. it's a shame they are allowed to keep the medals.
cacique
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Via Lactea

Re: Will the USA lose the 200 4x400 Gold?

Postby tlb747 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:32 am

Snation wrote:Will the tainted 4x400 relay team lose their gold?

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation ... sa-lo.html


But can the ruling of there medals be overturned?
Last edited by tlb747 on Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tlb747
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby dakota » Sat May 24, 2008 11:20 am

I think the more pertinent question is are there any relay medals from the last twenty years that the USA deserves to keep?
dakota
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby bad hammy » Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 am

Really, going back to redistribute medals that were awarded over 1,800 years ago seems kind of silly . . .



Kevin Richardson wrote:And poor Frank never got the thrill of crossing the finish line first in either 1972 or 1976.

?????
Last edited by bad hammy on Sat May 24, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Postby dcunited » Sat May 24, 2008 11:51 am

Just strip the offenders. You probably aren't done "finding out" more including on the opposing team(s) so why bother with another exercise? IMO priority is to fix the system, quick-like. Public is the last to know as we see over and over, so let's not give governing bodies more credit than they deserve. Zero Tolerance Policy. In a pig's eye.
dcunited
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 pm
Location: east coast

Postby Jaack » Sat May 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Kevin Richardson wrote:I agree, but it is distasteful that presumably innocent athletes should.
Ehm...have you seen who these "Dignified" team mates are!?? Calvin Harrison- Banned for drugs, Alvin Harrison- Banned for Drugs, Jerome Young- Banned for drugs, Pettigrew-just admitted he was using roids.....so the only "clean" athlete was the man who was 1 second faster than his riddled counter parts. :?

USA should and WILL be stripped of their 1997, 1999 world titles, 2000 Olmpic title and 2001 title..all of which features Pettigrew as a key player!
Jaack
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:44 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Postby bambam » Sat May 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Jaack wrote:
Kevin Richardson wrote:I agree, but it is distasteful that presumably innocent athletes should.
Ehm...have you seen who these "Dignified" team mates are!?? Calvin Harrison- Banned for drugs, Alvin Harrison- Banned for Drugs, Jerome Young- Banned for drugs, Pettigrew-just admitted he was using roids.....so the only "clean" athlete was the man who was 1 second faster than his riddled counter parts. :?

USA should and WILL be stripped of their 1997, 1999 world titles, 2000 Olmpic title and 2001 title..all of which features Pettigrew as a key player!


I think only the 2000 Olympic medals are in play, and perhaps not even them. WADA has an eight-year statute of limitations in their bye-laws. The question becomes what they define as eight-years. If they file a motion to remove the medals prior to the 8-year date from the date of the events in 2000, that would likely qualify, I think, but I'm not a lawyer. Unless WADA goes against its own bye-laws, which they are good at doing, the 1997 and 1999 World medals will likely not be touched.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Postby Mellow Johnny » Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am

dakota wrote:I think the more pertinent question is are there any relay medals from the last twenty years that the USA deserves to keep?


Great statement. Couldn't agree more.
Mellow Johnny
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 am

Postby Arnie » Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 am

How do you force anyone to return Medals?
Arnie
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Postby Kevin Richardson » Mon May 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Bad Hammy, perhaps the time you spent at MTSU dulled your memory..... :wink: In 1972, some imposter ran onto the track before Frank. As he ran into the stadium, Frank thought he had finished second.
Kevin Richardson
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, Alabama

Postby bad hammy » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Considering my intake at the time of some of Mother Nature's finest herbs and the local JD medicinals, it is a wonder I can remember MTSU at all . . .
bad hammy
 
Posts: 10880
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests