Looking for HJ Stats

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Looking for HJ Stats

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:18 pm

I have been collecting High Jump stats that reflect the top 50 high jumpers in the US since 1980 until 1991.

I am missing 1992-2002 & 1988 #50

I used to pull this from T&F News year end rankings issue.

Can anyone help? I really just need #1 & #50's performance.

Re: Looking for HJ Stats

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:19 am

Sounds like another Garry job to me, but why cannot you just get it from T&FN for all of those years ? I am not at home ( where my COMPLETE collection of T&FN's is ) but I am pretty sure, almost positive, that there is a top 50 , both World and US list printed every year.

So assuming you do not have all those issues, and unless Garry/someone else posts the info today, I will look it all up tonight for you !

The reason I am so sure sbout the lists is that I started a graph about 20 years ago, retroactive to 1947 or 1948, that charts # 1, # 10, and # 50 (maybe # 25 ) every year !

So I will just pull out my chart to give you your answers.

Postby trackstar » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:28 am

You know what would be cool? If T&FN released a CD-ROM set of ALL back issues, like National Geographic did a few years back. NG's set was something like $110 for every issue going back to 1896. It's really cool. I would certainly buy a similar set from T&FN, but I realize they probably don't have the considerable financial resources that National Geo has.
trackstar

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:47 am

Garry, are you listening/reading ? Maybe you could make a buck on it too, besides elping people out. I can't believe you make any significant money on the sale of bound volumes but you could keep doing that too.

I remember 35 years ago when T&FN used to advertise back issues for sale, all the way back to 1948, at various prices. My subscription started in October 1959, but I bought all the issues from April 1948 through Sept. 1959 from T&FN.

Sorry to ramble here but what else is this message board for ? About 15 years ago Pete Cava at USATF ( then TAC ) mentioned to me one day that they were building a library of T&FN memoribalia and were missing about 12 issues of T&FN . Guessed who loaned the missing ones to TAC, so they could have them professionally photographed to fill out their complete set ?

Postby bkotch » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:15 am

I second/third this suggestion, Garry. I seem to recall that TFN used to offer back issues on microfiche. A CD ROM, or series of them, going back to issue #1 would be invaluable. How about it?
bkotch

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:28 pm

Yeah! I bet putting 55 years of T&FN on CD-ROM is a lot cheaper than it used to be. I'd pay good money for that. Throw in Track Newsletter and I'll be beating down the door!

Postby gh » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:21 pm

You're talking some 50,000 pages that require copying. Have to find a lot of hardcore nuts to pay for that.
gh

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:32 pm

Unfortunately - I stopped collecting the issues in 1990 or so.

I was hoping someone would have the back issues and be able to go to that page and pull that info.

I may be asking a lot - I guess I can try to buy those issues to get that information - I just hate to do that for such a small bit of information.

Postby loranthony » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:09 pm

197hjsteve,

btw - that is what I am interested in doing - graphing the US HJ performance over the recent 20 year period - my thesis is that with doping testing advances/methodologies/policies & lack of structrued High Jump developmental programs - for at least at the 50 and below performance level.
loranthony

Postby LongTimeSubscriber » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:20 pm

You might try Scott Davis and the FAST US Annuals. I believe they may be available for those dates. Also ATFS annuals could be helpful but the cost and time may be prohibitive.
LongTimeSubscriber

Postby 197hjsteve » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:01 am

tony c, I told you I would do some research for you and I will, but I have not yet had the time. And i checked; my graph from 1948 onward is for world, not US, and charts 1,10, and 25.

Another problem, I just glanced at last year's lists in T&FN and they only go down to 40, not 50.
But hang in there Tony, I always live up to my promises. Sometime in the next week or 2 I will look into this for you !

Steve
197hjsteve

Postby loranthony » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:48 am

Thanks alot Steve,

Your help is a godsend.
loranthony