Watch the Conte Video

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Watch the Conte Video

Postby Jacksf » Tue May 06, 2008 4:10 pm

on the Home page.
He is right on the money in my opinion, about the prevalence of PEDs at the elite level, about athletes deire to chase records, and about the officials who turn a blind eye to it all.
Jacksf

Postby Narrion » Tue May 06, 2008 5:17 pm

I agree......and so would Charlie Francis (Speed Trap).
Narrion

Postby 26mi235 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 pm

This is a bit of sleight of hand in his comments. His big impact statement is about cheating in the Olympics. Then, the loopholes that you can drive a Mack truck through are professional sports (leagues), said in a way that seemingly is a follow on to the Olympic cheating. Then he opines about the difficulty of beating the records of the 70s and 80s, before the era of out-of-competition testing.

He is a sound-bite-a-minute but the reliable (and new) content is spread much thinner than that.

To go a bit further, people state that things he has said turn out to be true, and some of them do, but they have not universally been true and not true in the manner of his emphasis. Is 'veracity' level is not yet high enough for me, in addition to which, it rubs me the wrong way for him to be profiting on his notoriety because it gives him a stage for his showmanship.
26mi235

Postby Narrion » Tue May 06, 2008 6:06 pm

So what are you implying...do you think a majority of ELITE T&F athletes are PED free?

Just curious, have you read Speed Trap? Very informative concerning PED cycles to avoid positive tests, clearance times of various steroids, etc................I'd recommend it to any true T&F fan..........

Again, for the record...I completely agree with Conte that an overwhelming majority of upper echelon T&F athletes past & present [as well as professional athletes] are using illegal PEDs. Too much money at stake not to understand the rationale why..........
Narrion

Postby Kurt Francis » Tue May 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Narrion,

I second your motion for reading Speed Trap. A must read for any sprint coach. Other than the whole story of Charlie, Ben, and the rest of the story, I found it most informative in the drills, lifting, periodization, rest periods, etc. that comprised Ben's ( and others in the sprint group) training. Charlie was also up front in that MOST of his sprint group that he trained was done WITHOUT PEDs as the athlete ultimately made their own choice. Even with them, Desai Williams and Angela Issajenko were not able to do their best when the chips counted. Ben, as Charlie stated well, was one of those rare athletes that can relax and be at his most confident when faced with extreme pressure. That type of athlete is rare. To believe in oneself and perform at the highest level when your back is against the wall. Rare indeed.

Kurt
Kurt Francis

Postby trackhead » Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 pm

How can anyone say "there is too much money for them not to..."? Baseball players you'll never hear of make more in base pay than most any Olympic gold medalist in track.
trackhead

Postby dakota » Tue May 06, 2008 10:59 pm

trackhead wrote:How can anyone say "there is too much money for them not to..."? Baseball players you'll never hear of make more in base pay than most any Olympic gold medalist in track.

I don't want to win the lottery this week. Last week the winner won a hundred million dollars but this week the top prize is only one million dollars. It's not fair. I'm not buying a ticket because it's not worth it. I'm not going to study for my air traffic controller exams either. My room mate has exams to become a doctor and she'll make more money than me, so I don't need to study for mine. I'm not paying income tax either. The tax man gets more money off pilots so he doesn't need mine.
dakota

Postby tandfman » Wed May 07, 2008 3:32 am

trackhead wrote:How can anyone say "there is too much money for them not to..."? Baseball players you'll never hear of make more in base pay than most any Olympic gold medalist in track.

And I presume (from the fact that baseball's testing program is so weak) that they're all using PED's.
tandfman