Lewis Says Make Doping Illegal

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Lewis Says Make Doping Illegal

Postby Flumpy » Tue May 06, 2008 11:39 am

Flumpy

Postby George P. » Tue May 06, 2008 11:56 am

I agree with it, but I don't see how it could be made to work in practice. There are just too many ways to sidestep any legal process I can imagine. Plus, doping is a moving train: the lawyers and regulators can never entirely overtake the chemists and their clients.
George P.

Postby 26mi235 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Due process/evidence requirements would also put tougher hurdles in the way. Would the athlete lose under (sub-)standard, current procedures as well as under the more rigorous standards of the legal/criminal process?
26mi235

Postby Texas » Tue May 06, 2008 1:27 pm

What about guys in college who can compete with the pros like a Walter Dix?

I do think they need to finally realize reality, which is anytime there is $$$$$ involved, people will do whatever it takes to get all they can. Leave the pros alone.
Texas

Postby Kurt Francis » Tue May 06, 2008 6:40 pm

What a joke...as if the current "war on drugs" wasn't already a collosal waste of monetary and human resources.

My solution for the "war on drugs"...let the people who do drugs kill themselves...no tax money for treatment...if you sell dope, you die...period. You sell to kids or get them hooked...you die a very painful death. PERIOD.

Just my 2 cents
Kurt Francis

Postby Seeksreal » Tue May 06, 2008 10:57 pm

Kurt Francis wrote:
Just my 2 cents

And that's about all that's worth considering the lack of insight behind your statements.
Seeksreal

Postby Rog » Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 am

I don't think Lewis has any credibility on this issue. For years as an active athlete he criticised drug use, yet before Seoul he had failed a test for stimulants - a fact that was covered up:

"Documents recently released by former US Olympic Committee anti-doping official Dr Wade Exum claimed Lewis was allowed to compete at the Games despite testing positive for banned stimulants at the 1988 Olympic trials in Indianapolis."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/2968931.stm

His quote with regard to his own drug positive: "It's ridiculous, who cares?"

So much for the Great Crusader. Here's an apt quotation for the likes of Lewis who make hypocritical statements:

"For so many years I lived it. I knew this was going on, but there's absolutely nothing you can do as an athlete. You have to believe governing bodies are doing what they are supposed to do. And it is obvious they did not" - Evelyn Ashford

Source: http://www.hinduonnet.com/tss/tss2618/s ... 206000.htm
Rog

Postby peach » Wed May 07, 2008 4:10 am

I wondered how long before the "How ironic that it's Carl Lewis saying this" card was played...

Irregardless of what I, or anyone else, feels about Carl Lewis personally, he always maintained a vigorous anti- drugs stance and his "failed" tests were for stimulants- which whilst I'm not condoning, is a WHOLE different ballgame to failing a test for steroids, surely...
peach

Postby Rog » Wed May 07, 2008 5:05 am

peach wrote:I wondered how long before the "How ironic that it's Carl Lewis saying this" card was played...

Irregardless of what I, or anyone else, feels about Carl Lewis personally, he always maintained a vigorous anti- drugs stance and his "failed" tests were for stimulants- which whilst I'm not condoning, is a WHOLE different ballgame to failing a test for steroids, surely...

He failed at least one test, period. He covered this fact up, meanwhile pointed the finger all around him knowing his own drug test failure. He is a hypocrite of the worst order.

It's the hypocrisy about drugs that annoys me most. How many stars - Carl Lewis, Marion Jones, Maurice Greene etc - have been vociferous anti-drug campaigners, only to have this skeleton in their closets? They cheat by taking the drugs, lie about doing so, then claim they're clean and, in the case of Lewis, point the finger elsewhere (most notably in his case after Johnson beat him to the World 100m gold in 1987).

Honestly, who's fooled?
Rog

Postby gh » Wed May 07, 2008 5:11 am

Lewis failed no tests; we've been down that twisty path before.
gh

Postby STL_Runner » Wed May 07, 2008 6:16 am

Rog wrote:He failed at least one test, period. He covered this fact up, meanwhile pointed the finger all around him knowing his own drug test failure. He is a hypocrite of the worst order.

Can you not see the difference between minor stimulants and steroids?
STL_Runner

Postby gh » Wed May 07, 2008 6:20 am

And he didn't fail the stimulants test.
gh

Postby George P. » Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

Wow, it sure didn't take long for this thread to get off-topic ... .
George P.