Best Movie That Didn't Win The Oscar?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Best Movie That Didn't Win The Oscar?

Postby gh » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:32 am

My choice would probably be Dr. Zhivago. Here's an American Film Institute list of the 100 best movies (U.S.) ever. Topping the list is non-Oscar Citizen Kane (which lost to How Green Was My Valley):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_10 ... 100_Movies
gh

Postby Jim Rorick » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:52 am

Agree with Dr. Zhivago. Citizen Kane was great movie-making, but its style is a bit dated. It (and The Maltese Falcon) were much better than How Green Was My Valley, though.
Some Best Picture travesties that come to mind besides the 2 above are: Greatest Show on Earthover High Noon, Kramer vs. Kramer over Apocalypse Now, Ordinary People over Raging Bull, Terms of Endearment over The Right Stuff, Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption, and Gladiator over Traffic.
Jim Rorick

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 pm

All the presidents men, Raging Bull, The Ruling Class. 3 days of the Condor
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby mcgato » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Is it time to start a separate movie forum?

My votes for worst Oscar travesties usually go to the documentary division, where 'Hoop Dreams' and 'A Thin Blue Line' weren't even nominated. Hoop Dreams probably should have gotten an outright best picture nomination.

Edit to correct factual error.
mcgato

Postby klass klown » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Pulp Fiction.
klass klown

Postby Per Andersen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Dr Strangelove
Per Andersen

Postby BillVol » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:39 pm

Anybody here see "Incoming Freshmen"?
BillVol

Postby Vince » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 am

Two very good ones were "The Exorcist", which I believe was way better than the winner "The Sting", and "Deliverance" which lost to another great film, "The Godfather".
Vince

Postby Marlow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:22 am

Vince wrote:Two very good ones were "The Exorcist", which I believe was way better than the winner "The Sting", and "Deliverance" which lost to another great film, "The Godfather".

Correct. The Exorcist was better than The Sting, and Deliverance was better than The Godfather.
Marlow

Postby jlmarr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm asking for it on this board, but Raiders of the Lost Ark shouldn't have lost to Chariots of Fire.

Other significant non-winners IMO: The Right Stuff (vs Terms of Endearment) and Mary Poppins (vs My Fair Lady).
jlmarr

Postby SQUACKEE » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 pm

jlmarr wrote:Other significant non-winners IMO: The Right Stuff (vs Terms of Endearment) and Mary Poppins (vs My Fair Lady).

couldnt agree more!
SQUACKEE

Re: Best Movie That Didn't Win The Oscar?

Postby CookyMonzta » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:27 pm

E.T. I wonder if the Atari 2600 flop video game version hurt its chances of winning in 1983 against Gandhi.
CookyMonzta

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Just saw Iron Man, and though it will win no Oscars, I guarantee it will be on my Top 5 list for the year. It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E (sez the unrepentant comic book geek)!
Marlow

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48 am

Marlow wrote:Just saw Iron Man, and though it will win no Oscars, I guarantee it will be on my Top 5 list for the year. It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E (sez the unrepentant comic book geek)!

Hey Mar, have you seen some of the production photos for the Dark Knight? Their TOTALLYAWESOMELYKU!!!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1109694464/tt0468569
SQUACKEE

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:34 am

Yeah, The Dark Knight will be Top5, sight unseen. Don't know about The Hulk yet (last one stunk), but Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors, so it'll probably rock too. (could we be any geekier?!)
Marlow

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:49 am

Marlow wrote:Yeah, The Dark Knight will be Top5, sight unseen. Don't know about The Hulk yet (last one stunk), but Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors, so it'll probably rock too. (could we be any geekier?!)

Well, ive got an earring, smoke pot and play electric guitar, so this should neutralize some of the geek factor. Do you have any neutralizers? :P
SQUACKEE

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Well, ive got an earring, smoke pot and play electric guitar, so this should neutralize some of the geek factor. Do you have any neutralizers? :P

Just you 8)
Marlow

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:21 am

Marlow wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:Well, ive got an earring, smoke pot and play electric guitar, so this should neutralize some of the geek factor. Do you have any neutralizers? :P

Just you 8)

:lol: Ku. i'll be your huckleberry. :wink:
SQUACKEE

Postby slowpoke » Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Raging Bull and Saving Private Ryan. They lost to Ordinary People and Shakespeare in Love. Give me a break.
slowpoke

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 am

slowpoke wrote:Raging Bull and Saving Private Ryan. They lost to Ordinary People and Shakespeare in Love. Give me a break.

Shakespeare in Love is a nice little period love story- Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece as is Raging Bull.
SQUACKEE

Postby tandfman » Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 am

IIRC, I enjoyed Shakespeare in Love more than I did Saving Private Ryan.

So there! :)
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 am

tandfman wrote:IIRC, I enjoyed Shakespeare in Love more than I did Saving Private Ryan.
So there! :)

Me too. I realize SPR was a more important statement, but I couldn't even watch the first 20 minutes.
Marlow

Postby Double R Bar » Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 pm

"The Wizard of Oz" was a pretty good movie that was released in 1939 when there were several other pretty good movies such as "Gone With The Wind" which won for "Best Picture".
Double R Bar

Postby Brian » Fri May 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Marlow wrote:Don't know about The Hulk yet (last one stunk), but Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors, so it'll probably rock too. (could we be any geekier?!)

The last Hulk stunk putrid because it was directed by Ang ("Angst") Lee. Lee does these "I'm going to show you how torn the protagonist is inside by holding the shot on their face for 30 seconds" bit, and my God, it is annoying.

Daredevil sucked because of Ben Affleck ( a decent actor in other roles) and no real story direction; they tried to get too much DD history into it and ended up with little to show for it. Story was aimless, too.

The successful adaptation of a Marvel super-hero in film depends on the time period borrowed from the original comic. For example, the third Spider-man was the worst of the three because it used '80 and 90's character/plot concepts (like Venom; the parts with Sandman--first comic appearance sometime around issue #6 [?] were great.). The best movies about Marvel comics characters have been ones using the 60's and 70's character/plot concepts, even if updated to modern times (Tony Stark being wounded in the middle east rather than Viet Nam). Prime examples: the first two Spideys and (ta-da!) the new Iron Man.

The current Batman movies are intriguing because they embarce the Frank Miller definition of the character; i. e., the obessed, brooding borderline psycho--coincidently, the same concept as originally defined by creator Bob Kane (albeit for a necessarily gentler time/medium). Miller has never claimed to have done anything but re-define Kane's epic hero, and he has done a great job inspiring others to not be afraid to add depth to the one-time camp character ("Holy socks, Batman!").

[A bit of trivia: anyone remember pop singer Rex Smith (former co-host of "Solid Gold"--awesomely spoofed last season on Saturday Night Live with LeBron James) playing Daredevil on a made-for-TV Hulk movie...?]

And no, we couldn't be any geekier so let's revel in it. :]

To add to the original point, I believe Dr. Zhivago and Casablanca are two of the best ever. Anyone know: did Casa miss out on the Oscar too, and if so, to what film (I don't follow these awards things regularly)--?
Last edited by Brian on Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Postby lonewolf » Fri May 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Raging Bull.. but I may be prejudiced.

True confession: Some years ago, as a virile, if ambitiously overmatched widower, I seriously and unsuccessfully wooed an actress who was in that movie. I had seen the movie but she did not use her real name in the credits. When I met her in person, Tinseltown being rife with drop-dead gorgeous blondes, I did not recognize her as her character in the movie.
We rented the movie and I had the priceless experience of watching a movie with a "movie star" from that movie.
Ironically, about this time she received an ominous letter from the IRS. Seems she had neglected to keep SAG informed of her address. Her royalty checks were returned to SAG but they kept reporting income to the IRS. She assumed royaltys had stopped and did not report the income, which, of course, she had not received.

Short story long, my similarly smitten, accountant straightened it all out with the IRS, pro bono. She received several years delayed royalty and moved from Santa Monica to Malibu. I retreated to my lair to ponder the vicissitudes of life.
lonewolf

Postby SQUACKEE » Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 pm

lonewolf wrote:Raging Bull.. but I may be prejudiced.

True confession: Some years ago, as a virile, if ambitiously overmatched widower, I seriously and unsuccessfully wooed an actress who was in that movie. I had seen the movie but she did not use her real name in the credits. When I met her in person, Tinseltown being rife with drop-dead gorgeous blondes, I did not recognize her as her character in the movie.
We rented the movie and I had the priceless experience of watching a movie with a "movie star" from that movie.
Ironically, about this time she received an ominous letter from the IRS. Seems she had neglected to keep SAG informed of her address. Her royalty checks were returned to SAG but they kept reporting income to the IRS. She assumed royaltys had stopped and did not report the income, which, of course, she had not received.

Short story long, my similarly smitten, accountant straightened it all out with the IRS, pro bono. She received several years delayed royalty and moved from Santa Monica to Malibu. I retreated to my lair to ponder the vicissitudes of life.

Lone this is so unfair, i want dirt and i want it now!
SQUACKEE

Postby lonewolf » Fri May 02, 2008 7:07 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:[

Lone this is so unfair, i want dirt and i want it now!

It will all be in the book, just as soon as I get around to writing it.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Sat May 03, 2008 1:12 pm

lonewolf wrote:Raging Bull.. but I may be prejudiced.

Your stories are so good, I don't care, if the are true :D .
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Sat May 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Pego wrote:[Your stories are so good, I don't care, if the are true :D .

Ummmm,,,, Well...this one is.. In fact, they all are although I may omit or change a name to protect the innocent.... and the guilty....
lonewolf

Postby rasb » Sat May 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Dances with Wolf !
rasb

Postby Vince » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

I believe the Academy saw fit not to even nominate "Pappilon", but instead gave it to "The Sting". I can't even sit through The Sting.
Vince

Postby gh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Last night (re)watched All The President's Men. I had forgotten what a tour de force that is. Rocky?! Give me a fucking break! (not mention Taxi Driver or Network as being immeasurably better)

Somebody recently told me that the real reason Rock won was because legendary director Frank Capra in the runup to the voting said something like, "If I were still making movies it would be Rocky."
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Rocky is probably one of my least favorite films of all time.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:15 pm

As Dennis Miller said on The Off-White Album, "Stallone, now there's the quintessential thespian; this guy's got as much range as a Daisy air-rifle."

(having said that, I actually thought he was great in the original First Blood)
gh

Postby bijanc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

"Raging Bull" never did it for me (HUGE fight fan, avid film buff, child of 1960's, believe DeNiro is best in biz).
bijanc

Postby lonewolf » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 pm

bijanc wrote:"Raging Bull" never did it for me (HUGE fight fan, avid film buff, child of 1960's, believe DeNiro is best in biz).

Oldtimers may recall my 2008 post about my unrequited pursuit of the blonde "Raging Bull" actress that got away.
By grand coincidence, she called me this week to talk about the good times. Seems the age difference is no longer of great concern to her... and who knew houses in Malibu could be endangered when royalties run out?
lonewolf

Postby Bob Duncan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Apocalypto is a great film. It should have cleaned up at the Oscars in 2007 but didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.
Bob Duncan

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:24 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Apocalypto didn't receive even a single nomination in any of the major categories.

Good. Kudos to the Academy.
Pego

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:51 am

Yet another great film, totally ignored for Oscar Awards, was Gran Torino. Eastwood should've won Best Director and Best Actor for that one.
Bob Duncan

Postby Pego » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Yet another great film, totally ignored for Oscar Awards, was Gran Torino. Eastwood should've won Best Director and Best Actor for that one.

I agree here :wink: .
Pego

Next