Greene's coach tracked Victor Conte

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Greene's coach tracked Victor Conte

Postby Speedbuff » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Meanwhile, Conte has told the Daily News that Smith asked specific questions at the end of their 2001 meeting about what kind of banned substances Conte was supplying.

"I didn't tell Smith anything about the specifics," Conte told The News. "He asked me, 'What are you doing?' I said, 'What do you think we're doing?' He said 'low-dose testosterone, EPO and growth hormone.' That's not what we were doing. The purpose was a background meeting."

Conte describes the questions as tense, and believes that Smith could have been trying to turn Conte in to the authorities.

"Who knows what reason they had for getting near me," Conte said yesterday. "It could have been to stab me, it could have been to work with me....He revealed what he thought we were doing. Of course, in part, it was what we were doing."

Conte said he did not tell Smith about the undetectable steroids that were at the center of BALCO's rise and fall.

At the time of the conversation and in the year that followed it, the sprinters affiliated with BALCO were locked in a close rivalry with Smith's sprinters from HSI, competing for national titles and world championship start positions.

Conte strongly believes that Smith, frustrated by BALCO's success, encouraged track coach Trevor Graham to send a syringe with traces of THG to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in 2003 - a move that accelerated the government's ongoing BALCO probe

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... conte.html

This article provides a few more pieces to the very complex puzzle.
Speedbuff

Postby TrackDaddy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:32 pm

What if we let Conte and Graham give their drugs to whoever wants them?

We'd get to see people go really fast and could also donate their corpses to science.

Who knows... maybe we could discover something that would later benefit mankind.

Like when I was born.
TrackDaddy

Postby tandfman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:17 am

TrackDaddy wrote:What if we let Conte and Graham give their drugs to whoever wants them?

We'd get to see people go really fast and could also donate their corpses to science.

We've gone down this road before. Most of us feel that we'd rather be able to tell kids that ours is a great sport and they should participate in it, without having to tell them at the same time that if they really ever hope to compete at the highest levels, they're going to have to take drugs that will jeopardize their health and perhaps make corpses out of them prematurely.

Some people might not go as fast with a clean sport as they would otherwise, but if nobody is taking drugs, the races are just as competitive and exciting.
tandfman

Postby TrackDaddy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 am

tandfman wrote:
TrackDaddy wrote:What if we let Conte and Graham give their drugs to whoever wants them?

We've gone down this road before. Most of us feel that we'd rather be able to tell kids that ours is a great sport and they should participate in it, without having to tell them at the same time that if they really ever hope to compete at the highest levels, they're going to have to take drugs that will jeopardize their health and perhaps make corpses out of them prematurely.
Some people might not go as fast with a clean sport as they would otherwise, but if nobody is taking drugs, the races are just as competitive and exciting.

So you collectively agreed to lie to your children?

And you said..."but if nobody is taking drugs, the races are just as competitive and exciting"

True...but...

When will this occur?

It will never happen and is akin to trying to de-needle a haystack.

But the thought is noble, if naive.
TrackDaddy