Marion Can't Attend Beijing Games

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Marion Can't Attend Beijing Games

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

Her medals were stripped and her records erased today.

BCB
bijanc

Postby guru » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:21 am

Ok, but how does that affect her ability to attend the '08 Games?
guru

Postby trackrebel » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:22 am

that´s a joke...what about all the others that have been banned in the sport? dennis mitchell, dwain chambers I think Larry Wade actually does coach...what about them? She admitted to cheating...alright...take themedals away and ban her for two years....You hsave done that...but what should that bulls##t banning her from the Olympic in whatever ever way she would be there....to me it´s double standard

u go marion
trackrebel

MJ Ban

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am

MSNBC reported she may not atttend the 2008 Olympics (anchor Amy Robach used the word "...winter...", but I assume she meant the summer games.

BCB
bijanc

Postby guru » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 am

Obviously I missed something - so being banned from competing now means you also can't ATTEND as a spectator?
guru

MSNBC Report

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 am

The only explanation for the report (about seven minutes ago on MSNBC) is that the person who wrote the news copy interpreted or wrote "...attend..." while the ruling actually reads "...participate..."

In that case it's a reporting error, as when anchor Amy Robach said Jones is not allowed to attend the "...next year's Winter Olympics..."

I thought it was a bit odd too.

BCB
bijanc

Barred "...in any capacity..."

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:45 am

I forgot to post the Reuters report:

www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1118380320071212

BCB
Last edited by bijanc on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bijanc

AP version

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 am

what does this mean? (from the Associated Press)

'...The executive board also declared Jones ineligible for the Beijing Games "not only as an athlete but also in any other capacity."...'

Bijan
bijanc

Postby gh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:51 am

Means she can't be accredited as a coach, masseuse, journalist, etc., etc.
gh

Postby malmo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:57 am

guru wrote:Obviously I missed something - so being banned from competing now means you also can't ATTEND as a spectator?

A convicted felon getting a travel visa a communist country?

As a convicted felon, Marion cannot even travel to Canada.

gh wrote:Means she can't be accredited as a coach, masseuse, journalist, etc., etc.

I'm about 99 deltas that it means she cannot go to China for any reason at all.
malmo

Postby catson52 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:32 am

trackrebel wrote:that´s a joke...what about all the others that have been banned in the sport? dennis mitchell, dwain chambers I think Larry Wade actually does coach...what about them? She admitted to cheating...alright...take themedals away and ban her for two years....You hsave done that...but what should that bulls##t banning her from the Olympic in whatever ever way she would be there....to me it´s double standard

u go marion

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I seem to recall Tommie Smith and John Carlos unceremoniously booted out of Mexico City in 1968 and Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett from Munich in 1972, for far less serious "offences".
catson52

Ban

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:38 am

"...Not sure what all the fuss is about. I seem to recall Tommie Smith and John Carlos unceremoniously booted out of Mexico City in 1968 and Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett from Munich in 1972, for far less serious "offences"..."

It's not so much an issue of fuss as one of meaning.

BCB
bijanc

Postby EPelle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am

UNC to remove several images from displays.

University officials said they will remove some of the pictures where she is featured with teammates in display cases and replaced them with individual pictures. They said they may also do something with her name that is etched in glass in the North Carolina Track and Field Hall of Honor.

Jones' banner – one of nine UNC women's basketball players – was expected to remain in the Carmichael Auditorium rafters. In addition, her track records set while she was at school will remain in the record books.

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2160541/
EPelle

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am

I think that the ruling is for participation in any manner (including broadcasting). It does not necessarily address whether she could go to watch the games; malmo has pointed out that it is unlikely that she could go, although I am not at all certain that a felon can never have a passport (I just do not know, although I think it likely that the Chinese would not go out of their way to help her get there and I doubt it is very high on her list of 'must do' items).
26mi235

Postby EPelle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:52 am

The initial reports in oktober revealed this information, so today:s reports are not new news. She is not permitted to participate in any capacity in Beijing, which includes what gh stated above. Regarding malmo:s point, she may be under house arrest in seven - eight months following her 11-january sentencing. Felons serving time aren:t permitted to leave the country as far as I know.
EPelle

Postby deca-pat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Did anybody think she would be seen at the Games even as a spectator? She violated the spirit of the Olympics in one of the worst ways possible and I could see the IOC saying nay-nay to her attendance in any form.
deca-pat

MJ

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:05 pm

'...Did anybody think she would be seen at the Games even as a spectator? She violated the spirit of the Olympics in one of the worst ways possible and I could see the IOC saying nay-nay to her attendance in any form..."

My question was more about theory than practice. I was seeking a definition of "..in any capacity...", not asking whether Jones would actually be interested in showing up in the T & F stadium. It's not analogous to the philosophical question Jim Gray asked Barry Bonds about the baseball HOF, to which Bonds implied he would not visit if not eligible f/ induction.

BCB
bijanc

Postby The Kitchen Cynic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:08 pm

EPelle wrote:UNC to remove several images from displays.

University officials said they will remove some of the pictures where she is featured with teammates in display cases and replaced them with individual pictures. They said they may also do something with her name that is etched in glass in the North Carolina Track and Field Hall of Honor.

Jones' banner – one of nine UNC women's basketball players – was expected to remain in the Carmichael Auditorium rafters. In addition, her track records set while she was at school will remain in the record books.

IIRC, Jones is (or was) included in at least one display at the T&F Hall of Fame in NYC. I'm guessing she's now invisible there, and if not she will be soon.
The Kitchen Cynic

Postby gh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 pm

malmo wrote:
guru wrote:Obviously I missed something - so being banned from competing now means you also can't ATTEND as a spectator?

gh wrote:Means she can't be accredited as a coach, masseuse, journalist, etc., etc.

You are correct, but the question asked was what the IOC meant, and my answer was spot-on: they have the power to take accreditation from whomever they want, and that's all.
gh

Postby einnod23 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:54 am

Everything except..........................................!
einnod23

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 am

EPelle wrote:The initial reports in oktober revealed this information, so today:s reports are not new news. She is not permitted to participate in any capacity in Beijing, which includes what gh stated above. Regarding malmo:s point, she may be under house arrest in seven - eight months following her 11-january sentencing. Felons serving time aren:t permitted to leave the country as far as I know.

My point has nothing to do with her ability to maintain her passport or parole restrictions. (although both could come into play).

If Canada does not permit convicted felons to enter their country, then I'd be astonished if China would.

I'd guess that Marion is free to go to Holland, Venezuela, Sicily, Panama, Crete, Columbia, and San Francisco as many times as she wants.
malmo

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:17 am

gh wrote:
malmo wrote:

You are correct, but the question asked was what the IOC meant, and my answer was spot-on: they have the power to take accreditation from whomever they want, and that's all.

Copy. The travel restrictions are out of IOC's purview.
malmo

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:21 am

The Kitchen Cynic wrote:IIRC, Jones is (or was) included in at least one display at the T&F Hall of Fame in NYC. I'm guessing she's now invisible there, and if not she will be soon.

Mary Slaney is still in the Hall of Fame.
malmo

Postby Master Po » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 am

Perhaps this will be part of her punishment -- she'll have to watch the OG on TV! The horror...

:wink:
Master Po

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 am

malmo wrote:My point has nothing to do with her ability to maintain her passport or parole restrictions. (although both could come into play).

If Canada does not permit convicted felons to enter their country, then I'd be astonished if China would.

I'd guess that Marion is free to go to Holland, Venezuela, Sicily, Panama, Crete, Columbia, and San Francisco as many times as she wants.

I read your quote as such:

Point taken, however.
EPelle

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:00 am

EPelle wrote:
malmo wrote:My point has nothing to do with her ability to maintain her passport or parole restrictions. (although both could come into play).

I read your quote as such:

Point taken, however.

What am I missing here? Should I have written, "Marion, as a convicted felon, cannot even travel to Canada?"
malmo

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:05 am

You:re reading way too much into this. Both of our points are made.
EPelle

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:08 am

I'm not reading anything into anything. I'm trying to figure out what your point was?
malmo

Postby EPelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 am

Exactly what I stated it was, namely, "Felons serving time aren:t permitted to leave the country as far as I know." It piggy-backed on to your point, which you had not intended.
EPelle

Postby malmo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:22 am

Copy, the underlined words threw me off.

Extending your original point, even if China would let her in, the passport office could deny her a passport by administrative ruling anyway, especially if she hadn't satisfied a fine from her conviction.
malmo

She Can't Attend

Postby bijanc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:47 am

At 2;43 p.m., an MSNBC anchor, in repsonse to Keith Olbermann's observations that Sen. Mitchell recommend's no penalty, said "..she can't even attend the Games as a spectator!" in the context of MLB levying no penalties.

BCB
bijanc

Postby Pego » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Master Po wrote:Perhaps this will be part of her punishment -- she'll have to watch the OG on TV! The horror...

:wink:

NBC is threatening with a webcast of everything (or at least of preliminaries not televised in prime time). Until further notice of disappointment, I am drooling.
Pego

Postby tandfman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 pm

University officials said they will remove some of the pictures where she is featured with teammates in display cases and replaced them with individual pictures.

Apparently, the individual photos are now down.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnew ... 63,00.html
tandfman