"Most world-class LJers prefer hitch"

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

"Most world-class LJers prefer hitch"

Postby BillVol » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm

There is a new book out about all of the sports of the world. The cover of the book is made of astroturf, so you can't miss it. In the section on track and field, it said that most world-class long jumpers prefer the hitch style. I wonder why this is?

I thought that hitch and hang were the only two LJ techniques, but there is another one. Glide? I don't recall right now. But it said under this style that it is important to move one's arms a certain way in order to propel the jumper through the air. This contradicts the many posters here who say that once you are in the air, nothing one does affects the distance of the jump. I guess this means you can ball up into a cannon ball, and the results would be the same.
BillVol

Postby high knees » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:40 pm

not true....the action at the board is the determining factor in the distance of the jump, the in air technique can only maximize it or minimize what has already been determined at the board. In other words, technique cannot make you jump any farther, but poor technique (in air and/or with the landing) can only detract from what was determined at the board. Good tech with a good landing will maximize it.
high knees

Postby jhc68 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:52 pm

I'd like to know how to move my arms to propel myself through the air :D !
jhc68

Postby tafnut » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 am

I have never understood the "anything you do in the air can't affect the distance" crap. The only thing you can't affect is the Center of Gravity, but the last time I checked they weren't measuring where your CoG landed, and you sure as heck CAN affect the place your feet land! The Hitch and Hang are ways to maximize your landing configuration in a way such that you can extend the farthest into the pit, and they work. But so did Beamon's weird technique. Time spent coaching in-air technique is not wasted. 8 of 10 HS LJers have no idea what to do in the air and they lose up to 2 feet by NOT extending correctly.
tafnut